• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So you people are saying that it is confirmed somehow that when Diamond and Pearl remakes come out in a year there will be no way to bring this dex into that game? Because that's how Pokemon games have worked for...forever. In Silver and Gold, you could take pokemon from Red and Blue. You're saying it's confirmed that this will not be possible? How? Where? I didn't see that.

We don't have it 'confirmed'.

But.....

Given that the 'regional dex' is now the new default going forward, and GF has specifically stated they will be purposefully limiting/curating each regional dex going forward....

Seems fairly 'occams' razor', no?

(It'd be relatively low effort to port over the Sw/Sh pokemon into the regional dex, but...that seems to be at odds with their intent, now)

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Literally when the cuts were announced. That's WHY the cuts were announced, BECAUSE it was such a huge departure. Why did you think people were upset this whole time?

Wait, so none of these pokemon will be able to be traded into hypothetical Diamond and Pearl remakes or Sword and Shield 2 or whatever? We know that for a fact?

Edit: Oh okay. I see what's being said now. So each new game will have their own dex meaning they could arbitrarily cut whatever pokemon they want.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how big of a deal this will be to the reviewers and if that will be the turning point for GAMEFREAK to change whatever philosophy they adopted for this Gen.

They promptly ignored the initial backlash and argued that this is how things will be from now on, but I can see the reviews changing their stubborn minds.
I really hope it flops review wise because theres no way it's sales go down.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Wait, so none of these pokemon will be able to be traded into hypothetical Diamond and Pearl remakes or Sword and Shield 2 or whatever? We know that for a fact?
No, but no one said that either. What will happen, is that any Pokémon not in those games' regional Dexes will not be tradable to those games. Presumably Sw/Sh 2 or whatever won't have any further cuts from Sw/Sh, so those will be fine. But Diamond and Pearl likely not include everything from Sw/Sh, so those won't be tradable. And the next gen will definitely have cuts from the Sw/Sh Dex.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I wonder how big of a deal this will be to the reviewers and if that will be the turning point for GAMEFREAK to change whatever philosophy they adopted for this Gen.

They promptly ignored the initial backlash and argued that this is how things will be from now on, but I can see the reviews changing their stubborn minds.

I really don't see most major review outlets, IGN, GameInformer, etc. caring. Even if all the Pokemon were in the game, it would be months before they could be transferred, so the experience of playing the game before reviewing it is the same.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So you people are saying that it is confirmed somehow that when Diamond and Pearl remakes out in a year there will be no way to bring this dex into that game? Because that's how Pokemon games have worked for...forever. In Silver and Gold, you could take pokemon from Red and Blue. You're saying it's confirmed that this will not be possible? How? Where? I didn't see that.

The man himself.

Edit: Oh okay. I see what's being said now. So each new game will have their own dex meaning they could arbitrarily cut whatever pokemon they want.

Exactly. And the Pokémon that do get cut will not be able to be transferred in any way. Even if they are in a previous game from the Switch Generation

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

I really hope it flops review wise because theres no way it's sales go down.

Doubtful. It'll probably get the same scores as all the other mainline games. "This is a Pokémon game - 86/100"

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Theres no way reviewers are gonna give this game lower than an 8. NVC and Game Informer podcasts have been sweeping it and going 'omg new pokemon!" for months now

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of a hard thing to properly criticise in a review because the game on its own merits will be fantastic. The lack of older Pokémon is the type of flaw that only really only find relevancy to the fans of the franchise that grew attached to their favorites.

In the grand scheme of things its definitely something worth noting in the reviews but I'm not really sure how big of an impact it should have on an actual score if the game is solid.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Not going to happen when game sites have already spent so much time downplaying the backlash, making no attempt to understand why fans might be upset, if not outright taking dumb little potshots.

Reminds me a lot of reviewers and gaming personalities downplaying and mocking the problems hardocore fans had with DmC.

And I say this as someone who throughly enjoyed that game.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

It will have zero effect on the scores. It should, as Pokemon are literally the content of Pokemon games. But it won't.

You could have nothing but the ~80 or so new Pokemon in the game and the scores would be the same.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Classy.

But no, the fact that people "don't care" on a gaming enthusiast forum doesn't mean much. Hell I don't even expect some sort of grand outrage, just a general feeling of disappointment from casuals at what otherwise looks like a well made game. A sort of annoyance at the fact that the free mobile game has more Pokemon than the $60 one.

Not unlike many posts from casual Pokemon players here

That feedback reaching GF even harder is what I count on.
Not trying to make a dig at you, or saying you shouldn't be upset about it, i just I feel like you are the most vocal person on this site about this issue (that I've noticed, anyways). Poor wording on my part.

idk reading through that other thread it seemed like most people just flat out didn't care. A lot of mentions of casual players too. I was actually surprised so many people didn't care given the nature of this forum.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
So you people are saying that it is confirmed somehow that when Diamond and Pearl remakes come out in a year (if they exist at all) there will be no way to bring this dex into that game? Because that's how Pokemon games have worked for...forever. In Silver and Gold, you could take pokemon from Red and Blue. You're saying it's confirmed that this will not be possible? How? Where? I didn't see that. It just seems like that's how Pokemon has always been. Idk.
Most Pokemon from Let's Go are not available in Sword and Shield. That's basically all the information we need to know that the Diamond and Pearl remakes are probably not going to have all of the Pokemon in this game available to transfer.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Not trying to make a dig at you, or saying you shouldn't be upset about it, i just I feel like you are the most vocal person on this site about this issue (that I've noticed, anyways). Poor wording on my part.

idk reading through that other thread it seemed like most people just flat out didn't care. A lot of mentions of casual players too. I was actually surprised so many people didn't care given the nature of this forum.

I apologize too for being defensive. I totally misunderstood your intention.

You're cool, we're cool. :)

But yeah, what I expect is "Awesome game I just wish I could have Bulbasaur" just a mild disappointment that will echo the shitstorm from hardcore fans.

That alone is enough, as it's similar to what happened with BW

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
iGPqzD1_d.jpg
Bro... not like this! The FEELS! ;_;

Last edited:

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will have zero effect on the scores. It should, as Pokemon are literally the content of Pokemon games. But it won't.

You could have nothing but the ~80 or so new Pokemon in the game and the scores would be the same.

If only the spin offs were as immune. Never forget that Explorers Of Sky, one of the best spin offs we ever got, was completely trashed by reviewers for some of the most bullshit reasons possible. 'Too much water' ain't got nothing on some of the stupid reasons Sky got points docked from it for.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I apologize too for being defensive. I totally misunderstood your intention.

You're cool, we're cool. :)

But yeah, what I expect is "Awesome game I just wish I could have Bulbasaur" just a mild disappointment that will echo the shitstorm from hardcore fans.

That alone is enough, as it's similar to what happened with BW
Sorry too, its my bad I typed that comment in a hurry but I can see how it sounds p condescending, but yeah we're cool lol

and I can see that for sure, yeah. im not that broken up it at this point about it but I do wish all of them were in the game. Just not sure if that's ever going to be a thing again given the lukewarm response of the seemingly majority of players. Unless there's a change in leadership at gamefreak or something (Which i would support...not really a fan of Masuda these days)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of love the idea of Pokemon Home, even if you can't do anything it'll be fun to have a living dex on your phone that you can just go through. Seems like a huge missed opportunity to not have it closer to launch.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
If only the spin offs were as immune. Never forget that Explorers Of Sky, one of the best spin offs we ever got, was completely trashed by reviewers for some of the most bullshit reasons possible. 'Too much water' ain't got nothing on some of the stupid reasons Sky got points docked from it for.
It hurts, I have no idea why Explorers of Sky reviewed so poorly, but a 100% true criticism and fair score for ORAS is considered worth going to bat and shitting on a poor reviewer for.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of love the idea of Pokemon Home, even if you can't do anything it'll be fun to have a living dex on your phone that you can just go through. Seems like a huge missed opportunity to not have it closer to launch.
I feel like it's an amazing opportunity to bring Pokémon Amie-esque features to your phone, as well as mobile battling

but i doubt we will get anything like that

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Sorry too, its my bad I typed that comment in a hurry but I can see how it sounds p condescending, but yeah we're cool lol

and I can see that for sure, yeah. im not that broken up it at this point about it but I do wish all of them were in the game. Just not sure if that's ever going to be a thing again given the lukewarm response of the seemingly majority of players. Unless there's a change in leadership at gamefreak or something (Which i would support...not really a fan of Masuda these days)

I'm pretty certain that the days of full national Dex are over.

What I find unacceptable is the lack of any interest in bringing in as much as possible. They didn't even come out and say " All right well squeeze fan favorites through updates or DLC" or "We hear you and will do everything we can to have as much Pokemon as possible in future entries"

That's really all I ask. I got "No. Deal with it". And I'm supposed to just sit back and give them my money? Nah.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Not suprised. I got into arguments with him when shit went down, and he immediately used the "toxic, harasser fandom" card to dismiss the complains of the fanbase.

He's just so deep in Pokemon he can't have any kind of objective thoughts on it. I mean he came into threads criticising the lack of innovation in Pokemon mechanically over 20 years to say how utterly minor changes that 99% of the players will never even notice or engage with are "huge innovations".

Pokemon is a series with so so so much potential. That will never come even close to being realised with GameFreak at the helm.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
He's just so deep in Pokemon he can't have any kind of objective thoughts on it. I mean he came into threads criticising the lack of innovation in Pokemon mechanically over 20 years to say how utterly minor changes that 99% of the players will never even notice or engage with are "huge innovations".

Pokemon is a series with so so so much potential. That will never come even close to being realised with GameFreak at the helm.
Because pokemon is also a competitive multiplayer game, it cant just chase new ganeplay trends every new game like Final fantasy.

Oct 25, 2017
It hurts, I have no idea why Explorers of Sky reviewed so poorly, but a 100% true criticism and fair score for ORAS is considered worth going to bat and shitting on a poor reviewer for.

Roguelikes, basically. Anything remotely Roguelike got fucking trashed in Western media until just the last few years, and only now is there widespread acceptance in the gaming press. Likewise with the works of From Software and (probably) SaGa games, absolutely trashed in Western press during my the PS2 era. Anything that doesn't match Western views of the RPG genre is treading on thin ice.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh so now the narrative changes to "We always knew it was going to be more than half of it".

JFC. We've been hearing "Wait and see, it's not going to be that bad, who cares about Maractus? They're just trimming some fat" for months now.
At that time saying more than half as a fact was misinformation though.

I don't think that's the "gotcha" point you're trying to make...

What I was saying is that most people were speculating 400-500 prior to now. Me stopping people sharing stuff as fact when there was no way to know it as fact back then is hardly me saying otherwise.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I really really want to be the inclusion of Mew to be a sign that there's something about the dex the leaker hasn't unlocked or notice

I just fear that more likely, it'll just be 401 because mythical and that's it. This is pretty much the only reason I'm looking forward to the datamine. I just wanna know what the deal is.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to imagine a worse comparison. Serebii was just stating that any statement of how many Pokemon would be cut was entirely speculative and should have been framed as such. Do you really think it's unreasonable for someone to make a personal prediction and choose not to share it because it would be incorrectly reported as a fact and not an opinion?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing another user over a series of posts
At that time saying more than half as a fact was misinformation though.

I don't think that's the "gotcha" point you're trying to make...

What I was saying is that most people were speculating 400-500 prior to now. Me stopping people sharing stuff as fact when there was no way to know it as fact back then is hardly me saying otherwise.

Goalpost status: Successfully moved.

Inb4 "well AT THE TIME it WAS misinformation!"