• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We do have a reason for that. They scale it down so every Pokémon is visible on a portable screen at a glance, even with Dynamax.

I mean it's ridiculous but that's the reason.

The regular sized Pokemon are pretty much indiscernible in that Dynamax screenshot posted on this page. So we can officially retire this weak ass excuse.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The regular Pokemon are pretty much indiscernible in that Dynamax screenshot posted on this page. So we can officially retire this weak ass excuse.
That's their reasoning. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean we can "retire" it, so let's end that narrative. We don't decide the reason behind things, they do.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen this thread title repeatedly over the last little while. I had been thinking to myself, "Thanos-snapped sounds awfully dramatic, posters on this forum can really go overboard sometimes!" Then I saw the chart. Holy shit, it really is Thanos-level, right down to bulbasaur and squirtle.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this thread title repeatedly over the last little while. I had been thinking to myself, "Thanos-snapped sounds awfully dramatic, posters on this forum can really go overboard sometimes!" Then I saw the chart. Holy shit, it really is Thanos-level, right down to bulbasaur and squirtle.

Even Thanos only snapped 50%, so if anything it's not dramatic enough.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They already had animations for all 151 orginals from Lets Go. So why did they need to cut any of them?

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
VmjNfhG.png

Noticed this in my feed this morning. Poor girl will be in for a rude awakening lol.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They already had animations for all 151 orginals from Lets Go. So why did they need to cut any of them?
Apparently a different team, but that wont excuse the fact that, they should be patched in almost instantly/whenever pokemon home transfers become a thing.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's their reasoning. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean we can "retire" it, so let's end that narrative. We don't decide the reason behind things, they do.
Joe I don't agree with all the hate you've been getting but when something is so obviously wrong I wish you wouldn't still back up gamefreak. It's not about "not agreeing" it's about their own reasoning being contradicted by the game itself which means that it's complete BS.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thing is, last year they made the statement that Let's Go was primarily for home console play while Sword & Shield focused more for handheld

Even if they said this, using that statement to explain inconsistent scaling seems like a reach. The portable screens of both the Switch tablet and the Switch lite are 720p and larger than the 3DS screens, and they were able to express larger Pokemon like Zygarde on the 3DS screen:

zygarde.png

They're already able to contrast tall and small Pokemon in Sword and Shield like with Galarian Weezing and Rotom on the previous page.

Wailord is the persistent example of more expressive scale not working, but I'm sure there would be a way to work around it than just preserving the scale it had before, or just cutting that Pokemon. Alternatively, keep Wailord the same but size up Tyranitar, Duraldon, Snorlax, etc.

Like with following or riding Pokemon, just because there's outliers that may prevent the feature from working to perfection (yeah - Tyranitar wouldn't be able to fit in buildings or entrances if it followed the player, but they solved that in HGSS and Let's Go by having it enter and exit the Pokeball) doesn't mean I agree that it shouldn't exist. It's an aspect of the presentation that is worth bringing up because the hardware can handle it, they've already done it for certain Pokemon, and they have a smaller roster to finetune it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even if they said this, using that statement to explain inconsistent scaling seems like a reach. The portable screens of both the Switch tablet and the Switch lite are 720p and larger than the 3DS screens, and they were able to express larger Pokemon like Zygarde on the 3DS screen:

zygarde.png

They're already able to contrast tall and small Pokemon in Sword and Shield like with Galarian Weezing and Rotom on the previous page.

Wailord is the persistent example of more expressive scale not working, but I'm sure there would be a way to work around it than just preserving the scale it had before, or just cutting that Pokemon. Alternatively, keep Wailord the same but size up Tyranitar, Duraldon, Snorlax, etc.

Like with following or riding Pokemon, just because there's outliers that may prevent the feature from working to perfection (yeah - Tyranitar wouldn't be able to fit in buildings or entrances if it followed the player, but they solved that in HGSS and Let's Go by having it enter and exit the Pokeball) doesn't mean I agree that it shouldn't exist. It's an aspect of the presentation that is worth bringing up because the hardware can handle it, they've already done it for certain Pokemon, and they have a smaller roster to finetune it.
I think it's less about resolution and more about the screen size.

But I agree, I don't think they need to do it. They should sort it out

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean to me it's clear the anime is aiming for the Go audience quite a bit this time so I feel like for a majority of folks the anime will be "here's all your favorite Pokemon from Go, and here's some new ones you can see in Galar!"

I just think with Pokemon Go such a big part of the franchise for many casual fans Sword and Shield will be more "here's Pokemon not yet in Pokemon Go! rather than "look at your Pokemon Go Pokemon who aren't here".

As someone who doesn't care about Go I don't agree with that but I think it's a bit too sheltered to not realize the franchise has grown that a PokeDex cut is less important to the bulk of the audience who primarily digest the series through Go.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surely patching Pokemon from the next game back into these would be pretty easy right?

But anyway, this all happened before back on the GBA, dunno why everyone thinks this is a brand new thing.

The most fun me and my friends had with Ruby and Sapphire was getting a game shark and adding all of our favorites that got cut.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, new tech and graphical requirements, and also a short turn around time since it's yearly iterations. Pokemon needs an extra year per game to make more meaningful strides without having to only see slight year over year iteration. But there isn't any reason for the dev/publisher when they can release these for low cost yearly and sell CoD numbers. We'll probably see minimal improvement next year, but a whole lot more Pokemon included.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't change that their reasoning is completely invalid. I could say I'm not going to buy Pokemon Sw/Sh because it doesn't have Pikachu in it. Sure, that's my reason - doesn't make it true or accurate.

Brutal. You hate to see it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played Pokémon since Leafgreen, but jesus I'm actually pretty shocked they chose to cut some of those. Jigglypuff, Squirtle and Bulbasaur are three of the most popular Pokémon around.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how it's now becoming 'Well 400 is a lot of Pokemon, you're being so unreasonable for wanting more."

.....When games from 12 years ago had more Pokemon in its regional dex. And if we're going to pull the whole, 'making 3D Pokemon models is hard' thing, well the generation that would have had the most difficult time with it, Gen 6, with that being when they created all of the current 3D models of the older Pokemon... still has a regional dex in X an Y that remains the largest we ever got while still maintaining compatibility for the Pokemon who are not actually in the regional dex.

And they're slapping an extra 20 bucks on top of it for these games with a massively gimped Pokemon roster, so don't act like its unreasonable for being annoyed about all of this.

Edit: And here's a different visualization of just how drastic the cuts are:

mITYQUR.png

Last edited:

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pgEbyOf.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, at least the memes around this shitshow have been amazing. LOL

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is really quite odd.

The datamine is going to be interesting but I have zero doubt that will stop people from defending Gamefreak
I mean, the games look to be the best games in the franchise to date in terms of non-Pokedex related content and have a TON of much needed QoL improvements. Why would fans who don't care about Dexit suddenly turn on the game after the data mine?

If the game is good and reviews well the datamining of the models won't change anything.