• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Man, it's got to be the mark of a true nerd that I keep letting myself get sucked into the black hole that is Pokemon discourse even though it makes me feel like complete and utter shit.

Mwg5fw0.png

....But at least I'm not as sad as the Mareep line. LOL
Hah, same. I'm really hyped for Sword/Shield, yet I keep jumping into these threads for criticism, hot takes and hyperbole.

The Mareep line is good and pure and shall be missed dearly.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people are to invested when it comes to Pokémon. Some people were literally waiting for the Death Stranding review to drop hoping the game would disappoint. The Final Fantasy games are being heavily critised constantly.

On all of those games people also worked really hard, even on MGS survive people worked long hours. Should we make a topic "we love you Konami employees" as well?

As long as you don't haras devolpers there is nothing wrong with critize something

Yeah that thread is really sad, like it shows how seriously some people take their products. You would never see a thread like that for EA employees, for example.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think a thread about sharing positivity regarding Pokemon is fine because it definitely has been overwhelmingly negative lately and it's good to have a place for that, but to couch it as a "I love you GameFreak" thing is kinda weird.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I've been reading the comments and doing a lot of soul searching, and I've come to the conclusion that I owe people here an apology.

I stand by what I said about not appropriating other people's posts - especially after it turns out the person referenced was fine with it - and my belief that what GF said about their reasons for doing this was valid.

But. I seriously need to start acknowledging that I can't control how people feel, and that groups aren't a monolith. I still think this whole thing has been dominated by bad behavior... but not neccessarily as much here, and that I was likely projecting my feelings over those earlier discussions on this forum onto this one as well as some stuff outside this board. People absolutely should have a place to vent and I intruded on that space with a holier than thou attitude and a desire to prove I was right.

Thats just being a bully myself.

I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I don't look back on those earlier discussions with anything but difficulty and feelings of frustration. But in the here and now, I didn't give people enough credit. And for that, I'm deeply sorry.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've been reading the comments and doing a lot of soul searching, and I've come to the conclusion that I owe people here an apology.

I stand by what I said about not appropriating other people's posts - especially after it turns out the person referenced was fine with it - and my belief that what GF said about their reasons for doing this was valid.

But. I seriously need to start acknowledging that I can't control how people feel, and that groups aren't a monolith. I still think this whole thing has been dominated by bad behavior... but not neccessarily as much here, and that I was likely projecting my feelings over those earlier discussions on this forum onto this one as well as some stuff outside this board. People absolutely should have a place to vent and I intruded on that space with a holier than thou attitude and a desire to prove I was right.

I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I don't look back on those earlier discussions with anything but difficulty and feelings of frustration. But in the here and now, I didn't give people enough credit. And for that, I'm deeply sorry.

Thank you. I can't speak for others, but I appreciate your apology and don't hold anything against you despite any disagreements we had. It's just a video game forum and we're talking about a monster RPG for kids, it should never get too hostile on either side.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, if it turns out the GTS has been snapped out of these games too like it's potentially looking to be, oof....

The ride never ends with these games, aaand the justifications for the GTS possibly being gone has already begun. It's another 'Nobody used it anyway'.

Well, I'm going to try and be optimistic about it and hope that its still in there somewhere or massively overhauled to fix the many problems that stuck with it for generations. If not, trading for version exclusives seems like its going to be a lot more difficult, and hell, getting foreign Dittos to help with shiny breeding and the like is going to be way harder now too.

I'm just happy Wonder Trade is here to stay. It's up there as one of the most fun additions started in the 3DS games.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Man, if it turns out the GTS has been snapped out of these games too like it's potentially looking to be, oof....

The ride never ends with these games, aaand the justifications for the GTS possibly being gone has already begun. It's another 'Nobody used it anyway'.
I'd expect it in HOME tbh

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia

Well, I'm going to try and be optimistic about it and hope that its still in there somewhere or massively overhauled to fix the many problems that stuck with it for generations. If not, trading for version exclusives seems like its going to be a lot more difficult, and hell, getting foreign Dittos to help with shiny breeding and the like is going to be way harder now too.

I'm just happy Wonder Trade is here to stay. It's up there as one of the most fun additions started in the 3DS games.
I hope that the rumors that the GTS being gone are false. If Gamefreak are really willing to lock off the GTS - one of the most important online features - to what is likely going to be a $10 a year subscription, then they really are no better than EA or Activision.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I hope that the rumors that the GTS being gone are false. If Gamefreak are really willing to lock off the GTS - one of the most important online features - to what is likely going to be a $10 a year subscription, then they really are no better than EA or Activision.

Not trying to be mean, but isn't what Gamefreak did with the Ultra games even worse than a lot of things EA and Activision did?

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what Dexit has wrought.

VMFVvF0.png

Although it actually is pretty hilarious that god has forsaken Poke-England.

your-scientists-were-d0725ff6f2.png

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Not trying to be mean, but isn't what Gamefreak did with the Ultra games even worse than a lot of things EA and Activision did?
Tbh, you do have a point - although at the very least, the Ultra games had new content (albeit worth $5 at most), whereas Gamefreak, from what I can see, are seemingly locking off key features behind a subscription.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I'm glad I got Ultra Sun for half price. I normally get every version of Pokemon, but for gen 7 I just got Moon and Ultra Sun and that satisfied me enough. Getting all four is downright redundant. That said, I feel like they added enough to justify a Platinum-level release. Splitting it into two was just them knowing they could get away with it, lol.

Is it bad to say I still wish we got Z? I genuinely feel like XY laid the template for a top tier Pokemon game, if they just...

-Added postgame routes/dungeons to explore with trainers to battle and things to do
-Gym/Elite Four rematches
-Adjust difficulty better so EXP Share doesn't steamroll
-Cut down on the friend NPCs constantly interrupting and dumping text on you
-Rewrite and expand the storyline so it's less... whatever the hell it was
-Add in the Mega Evolutions from ORAS, and integrate the Mega Stones into the main campaign
-Make Lumiose City less of a pain to navigate

I think these alone would make the game so, so much better. It's a shame it never got a second chance, because the potential is there.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks man, that's brave of you.

I truly think that at least half of he agressiveness in these discussions come from people taking sides like they are different teams instead of just a bunch of fans externalizing their feelings about the games. When there is frustration involved, it's really easy to get carried away and being all defensive when you see people with a different (but not necessarily antagonistic) stance than yours. There are definitely examples of bad behavior on both sides, but they are just individuals too and don't represent an unified voice.

I too apologize if I have offended anyone with my posts, wasn't my intention.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
The thing that confuses me the most is that all the starter pokemon weren't a shoe in. They are easily the ones people bonded with most in past pokemon games. How they weren't a priority in SwSh is mind boggling to me. I would love to know what sort of criteria was used to determine the cut, even if it was type based, balance based, or whatever. But I suppose no explanation is going to console people who had their favourites cut.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Slightly off topic, but in the other thread, the leaker is now saying the GTS might not be in the game either - at least (s)he hasn't seen it yet

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
Most disappointed to see Duncesparce not make the cut. That thing is adorable and fun on its own and ripe for getting an evolution as well.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The thing that confuses me the most is that all the starter pokemon weren't a shoe in. They are easily the ones people bonded with most in past pokemon games. How they weren't a priority in SwSh is mind boggling to me. I would love to know what sort of criteria was used to determine the cut, even if it was type based, balance based, or whatever. But I suppose no explanation is going to console people who had their favourites cut.

Starters are usually the Pokemon with the most enforced rareness going from one generation to the next. This is just how that ends up when transferring isn't a possibility.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only good think I could see is that if GTS is under the link trade menu, but I don't see why it would be when it never has been in the past.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Starters are usually the Pokemon with the most enforced rareness going from one generation to the next. This is just how that ends up when transferring isn't a possibility.

Yup. It's honestly the least surprising cut - it doesn't really matter how popular the starters were or that Bulbasaur was #1 on the Pokedex (lol), this Dex is the Regional Dex of the game, period.

-- I'm a bit concerned about Unova Pokemon getting hate and backlash because it seems most of them made it in, lord knows they got enough of that when Black and White's regional dex was just them :<

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yup. It's honestly the least surprising cut - it doesn't really matter how popular the starters were or that Bulbasaur was #1 on the Pokedex (lol), this Dex is the Regional Dex of the game, period.

-- I'm a bit concerned about Unova Pokemon getting hate and backlash because it seems most of them made it in, lord knows they got enough of that when Black and White's regional dex was just them :<
I feel more nostalgia towards gen 4 and 5 than I do gen 1 simply because marketing has burned me out on all 151 Pokemon. I welcome Gen 5 mons getting extra representation lol.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please link me or list me something that says which version has which exclusives? Would be greatly appreciated.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Part of me wonders if the large amount of Gen V is for synergy with Go since they're the newest thing now in that game

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I've been saying this for awhile now but the gaming communities focus on EA/Activision has blinded them to a lot of the predatory bullshit these other companies have been doing as well. Game Freak has literally been out here selling people the same game with different filters for ages now.

That aside, I was genuinely looking forward to Sword n Board, till I heard about the lack of Pokemon. And at this point I'm just completely disillusioned with Game Freak. It's not even like I ge I have 0 expectations going forward and Masuda's nonsensical attitude towards these games in interview does not spark joy. I cannot in good faith give any money to this company. I don't care for reviews since people can't shape how I feel about a game anyway, and I definitely don't care for sales because these games are gonna sell anyway.

Also, something a lot of you don't seem to realize though is, a lot of people don't know anything about this stuff. Even me and my group of friends who were heavy into Pokemon as recent as Sun & Moon didn't know anything about this till I brought it up to them yesterday.

S.N, shout out to the ignore function working as intended, this games rampant defense force has made any discussion critical of this game quite laborious.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Why did they once again go with the super interesting idea of regional variations and do like 2 of them

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
So what do you think, with all the push-back the decision has received — will Game Freak backtrack and add all the Pokemon back, either with a patch, a third version, or to Crazy Diamond and Jammin' Pearl?

I think they probably will. They seemed to quickly respond to criticism about Black and White's regional dex and ORAS's lack of trainer customization, and dexit has been a lot stronger and more sustained than either of those. I'll be interested to see what they do.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the GTS really is gone I can't wait for people to start inundating us with lines telling us it doesn't matter because everyone just asked for legendaries or unobtainable pokemon or some shit like that while ignoring that it is invaluable for anyone trying to complete their dex

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you.
Things would be a lot better if everyone realized that not everyone upset is a harasser or someone that is just hating on the game because they want to and that not everyone who doesn't care about the cuts is a shill.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So what do you think, with all the push-back the decision has received — will Game Freak backtrack and add all the Pokemon back, either with a patch, a third version, or to Crazy Diamond and Jammin' Pearl?

I think they probably will. They seemed to quickly respond to criticism about Black and White's regional dex and ORAS's lack of trainer customization, and dexit has been a lot stronger and more sustained than either of those. I'll be interested to see what they do.

I could see them release a statement saying "we are looking into ways for future games to include as many Pokemon as possible."

I think if they completely walked it back by the next game and managed to include all the Pokemon, it would be a bad look. "This is the future going forward" straight to "lol just kidding, here's all your Pokemon back" would be a swerve.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if we'll ever see the full Pokedex again, but I do think they will make a real effort to include more Pokemon per game and build on each game's dex within a generation. For instance I think the DP remakes will include all the Pokemon that are in SwSh.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas
Yeah that thread is really sad, like it shows how seriously some people take their products. You would never see a thread like that for EA employees, for example.

:'D

That said, I do actually think those threads are kind of nice. And while yeah, you're probably not going to see "we love you EA!" posts on the front page of Resetera... I can tell you personally that there's fanmail places sometimes receive, and they do put that shit up on the wall. Sure they might be saccharine sweet, and they might seem a bit too much like corporate apologia at times but it's still nice to hear people touched or impacted positively by something you made, you know?

More on-topic, I'm honestly just kind of bummed about this entire thing. I feel sad about the pokemon that won't be present, I feel sad for the employees, I feel sad for all the people that wanted to be really stoked about this game but can't, I feel sad for the folks that feel under attack because they plan on buying and enjoying the game. I'm kind of at the bargaining phase I think, lol, where I'm just like... "come on, if you just add Greninja I'll get it. Please. I desperately want to like this game. Don't do me like this."

and then someone comes out with "hey, I can't find the GTS" and once again, I am bummed.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I could see them release a statement saying "we are looking into ways for future games to include as many Pokemon as possible."

I think if they completely walked it back by the next game and managed to include all the Pokemon, it would be a bad look. "This is the future going forward" straight to "lol just kidding, here's all your Pokemon back" would be a swerve.
I feel the opposite, if they included the full roster of Pokemon in the next game that would feel like they really listened.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I feel the opposite, if they included the full roster of Pokemon in the next game that would feel like they really listened.

I'm just saying from a PR standpoint they would be opening themselves up to all sorts of criticisms by doing it. "You could have done this all along," etc. Correct or not.

I can see them slowly adding more to each gen 8 game then having an Everyone Is Here moment in gen 9.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying from a PR standpoint they would be opening themselves up to all sorts of criticisms by doing it. "You could have done this all along," etc. Correct or not.

I can see them slowly adding more to each gen 8 game then having an Everyone Is Here moment in gen 9.
Like I said, I wouldn't personally see it that way. I think if they did bring them all back in the next game and alongside that announcement said that they listened to fan feedback I think people would just be happy that they were back. Maybe I'm wrong though.
My high end hope is that in the DP remakes they bring back all the missing Gen 1-4 Pokemon along with retaining all the Pokemon in SwSh. That'd be great first step to improving things.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
:'D

That said, I do actually think those threads are kind of nice. And while yeah, you're probably not going to see "we love you EA!" posts on the front page of Resetera... I can tell you personally that there's fanmail places sometimes receive, and they do put that shit up on the wall. Sure they might be saccharine sweet, and they might seem a bit too much like corporate apologia at times but it's still nice to hear people touched or impacted positively by something you made, you know?

More on-topic, I'm honestly just kind of bummed about this entire thing. I feel sad about the pokemon that won't be present, I feel sad for the employees, I feel sad for all the people that wanted to be really stoked about this game but can't, I feel sad for the folks that feel under attack because they plan on buying and enjoying the game. I'm kind of at the bargaining phase I think, lol, where I'm just like... "come on, if you just add Greninja I'll get it. Please. I desperately want to like this game. Don't do me like this."

and then someone comes out with "hey, I can't find the GTS" and once again, I am bummed.

I identify with this post so much. I was a right asshole last year during discussion of Let's Go, because it felt like the writing was on the wall for all of this stuff this year, and I regret contributing to the toxicity like that because I am sure that all of the nastiness this year was built off of all of it last year.

I am really sad that GF employees seem to be super down and that the decision made by someone on high has led to such a terrible time for them, and that assholes are ruining their lives right now

I am sad for the people who are super excited for the game but feel like it is cheapened because so many people are hating on it, with no justification in their eyes

I'm sad for people like me, who don't want to harass anybody, but can't be excited about this game because they are making such a monumental change for the first time in 16 years for reasons that we see as tenuous at best

This whole situation sucks. If the GTS is gone it feels like kicking the community while it is down.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing that sucks the most about the Battle Frontier is that they decided to never bring it back again AFTER they made a ton of quality life improvements that help make competitively viable Pokemon way more easier to make. I've always wanted to go back and actually finish the Battle Frontier in Emerald, but then I remember what a nightmare it is to get Pokemon trained properly back then. I think I only ever bred and trained three Pokemon for competitive in Platinum because it was such a slog just trying to keep track of EV stats while training them. It's only after X and Y came out and gave us a bunch of improvements in the form of super training, hordes, and even just a stat screen that shows your EVs, that I started putting together way more competitive Pokemon teams. I can actually remember thinking to myself, 'I can't wait to not completely suck at the Battle Frontier when the remakes come out now'

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing that sucks the most about the Battle Frontier is that they decided to never bring it back again AFTER they made a ton of quality life improvements that help make competitively viable Pokemon way more easier to make. I've always wanted to go back and actually finish the Battle Frontier in Emerald, but then I remember what a nightmare it is to get Pokemon trained properly back then. I think I only ever bred and trained three Pokemon for competitive in Platinum because it was such a slog just trying to keep track of EV stats while training them. It's only after X and Y came out and gave us a bunch of improvements in the form of super training, hordes, and even just a stat screen that shows your EVs, that I started putting together way more competitive Pokemon teams. I can actually remember thinking to myself, 'I can't wait to not completely suck at the Battle Frontier when the remakes come out now'
I don't think many people would be against the lack of a Battle Frontier if they brought back the Pokemon World Tournament as the post game battle facility and expanded it a bit from its original form. It doesn't need to be full Battle Frontier level, but somewhere between that and a simple Battle Tower.
Also ideally it'd have a few different battle arenas, one of the things I really dislike about Battle Towers is that you fight in one boring location the entire time.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think many people would be against the lack of a Battle Frontier if they brought back the Pokemon World Tournament as the post game battle facility and expanded it a bit from its original form.

I can't shake the feeling that they're getting ready for something like this with all of the past gym leaders having high-quality 3D models in Pokemon Masters. Would be a shame to only have them in that game.