• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Speculation: Jon indeed stabs Dany as per leak but then rips off his face to reveal he's Arya, who does what he couldn't and spares him the heartbreak.

Yeah, I know. It's both too stupid and too sophisticated for what the writers can muster.
I feel like they must be setting something up for Arya after that last episode. The only thing the leaks have said are "Arya leaves Westeros" which is... lol

EDIT: I legit thought this was going to end with the transition to some kind of democracy going into this season, now I'm like, "just let it end"
I sincerely don't understand why anybody was expecting this. There is no setup for such a change; every character in the series is an autocrat.

things unclear from the leaks

- leaks still don't mention Toby Osmond's supposed Dorne ruler, who we know is in the season. Seems like he would be fit for the council, but it's odd he isn't mentioned.
He would be at the Dragonpit when all the lords gather to elect a new king.

As bye said, the makeup of the council is kinda missing. Why not the Dornish prince, Yara, and Edmure Tully?
Because those people will be running their respective regions, not serving on the small council.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
n8th17q723y21.jpg

I mean, is this not what happened?
Varys out here writing basically writing the letter from the Little Rascals.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here's how you fix all this shit:

extend last season and this season. Make the end of last season deal with the White Walker threat. Make this season all about the endgame. Start it off with Dany and crew taking King's Landing, capturing Cersei and holding her in the dungeon awaiting trial / execution / whatever. Dany is happy because she finally gets to sit on the throne.

But the citizens of King's Landing (and all over) still don't treat her with respect, don't revere her. She has nothing to offer them like she did the slaves, the Unsullied, the Dothraki. So over time she gets jaded, upset, goes a little power crazy. Maybe even goes to have some talks with Cersei in the dungeon. "How did you do it?" You still get Dany's whole "no one here loves me" thing, but it takes up more than 10 seconds in an entire season.

By the end of a 10-episode arc you can build up to Dany actually getting the best of herself and going crazy by deciding the only way she will actually ever have power is to rule with fear. Then have her go on a rampage or whatever.

Still follows the same structure, still ends with the same result. A lot of people would still think that Dany's character was betrayed and be disappointed that she went Mad Queen. But at least it doesn't feel rushed as shit for no reason, at least it might feel a bit more earned.

IMO this all hinges on the idea that Dany can't believably snap in the context of when/where she did, and I completely disagree.

She was asked to single-handedly sack a city astride an incomprehensibly violent power that she is bound to by birthright, and then upon her absolute and total victory against enemies who mocked and humiliated her every show of mercy she is expected to turn it all off – all of the fire and blood – in the heat of the moment and be the better person. She is expected to just swallow all of her pride and her grief and show mercy. But she doesn't. She can't.

She relishes in the violent catharsis of the moment, her power over this symbol of everything she has fought and suffered for her entire life. She doesn't care about these people, she cares about the power and right of the throne that is hers alone. Victory is hers. She is sending a message, and it doesn't have to make sense because its coming from a place of power and fury, instinct and emotion – not cold logic or reason.

I'm totally okay with Dany's turn, but if I was going to fix this season I would turn the Long Night arc into its own mini-season, and then the "final" season would be the campaign for the throne but stretched out for 8-10 episodes instead of 3, where characters are given more room to breath and all of the contrived plot beats are ironed out. You won't make everyone happy, but you can reach a lot of the same conclusions in a much more natural way.

Although part of me wonders if this is why they insisted on the short season and just wrapping it up like they did – they had already committed to Martin's ending, and knew people would hate it, so they just ripped the bandaid and hoped the fanservice (A Knight of the Realm) would suffice as a goodbye.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
When she sees the people who have laughed at her for so long try to surrender? She decides to give them firey death in a huge climax leading to the end of the series.
She was asked to single-handedly sack a city astride an incomprehensibly violent power that she is bound to by birthright, and then upon her absolute and total victory against enemies who mocked and humiliated her every show of mercy she is expected to turn it all off
I don't understand how anyone can come away from last episode and think that the people of KL have any part in "mocking" or "laughing at" Dany, or that they are in any way responsible for the slights against her

Oct 27, 2017
Speculation: Jon indeed stabs Dany as per leak but then rips off his face to reveal he's Arya, who does what he couldn't and spares him the heartbreak.

Yeah, I know. It's both too stupid and too sophisticated for what the writers can muster.
Honestly, that would make Jon as a character even more pointless. Nah, he has to be Kween slayer and I'm not even mad about this part of the writing.
But Bronn on the council, Bran king...urgh

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

extend last season and this season. Make the end of last season deal with the White Walker threat. Make this season all about the endgame. Start it off with Dany and crew taking King's Landing, capturing Cersei and holding her in the dungeon awaiting trial / execution / whatever. Dany is happy because she finally gets to sit on the throne.

But the citizens of King's Landing (and all over) still don't treat her with respect, don't revere her. She has nothing to offer them like she did the slaves, the Unsullied, the Dothraki. So over time she gets jaded, upset, goes a little power crazy. Maybe even goes to have some talks with Cersei in the dungeon. "How did you do it?" You still get Dany's whole "no one here loves me" thing, but it takes up more than 10 seconds in an entire season.

By the end of a 10-episode arc you can build up to Dany actually getting the best of herself and going crazy by deciding the only way she will actually ever have power is to rule with fear. Then have her go on a rampage or whatever.

Still follows the same structure, still ends with the same result. A lot of people would still think that Dany's character was betrayed and be disappointed that she went Mad Queen. But at least it doesn't feel rushed as shit for no reason, at least it might feel a bit more earned.

I like this a lot. Dany doesn't even need to go on a rampage at any point like she did on Sunday. Basically, just have her turn into her father over the course of a couple episodes after taking KL. The people don't love or trust her, Jon won't have anything romantic to do with her and word of his true heritage is starting to spread among the nobles. The groundowrk's already been laid- we've seen her basically fail at ruling before much earlier in the books/series. She shuts herself in the keep, becomes increasingly paranoid and, towards the end, starts executing people out of fear of betrayal. Now you've laid the groundwork for Varys and Tyrion to be plotting against her. They've seen this before: she's just Aerys II, the sequel. This can build up towards the main points of the leaked ending organically.

Actually, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this is more in line with GRRM's plan. D&D were just in too big of an all-fired rush to get here, and they've been intent on recreating that big Red Wedding moment over and over the last few seasons, to terrible result. Not everything needs to be a big shocking moment.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
So I havent read the last 3(?) books. Does

zombie Cat do anything? Would she have been useful in the show?
She's going to set up the red wedding 2.0 to kill the freys, with Brienne and Jaime. Jaime's arc is deeply tied with her because at the red wedding it was specifically said 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards' before Robb was killed.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Cersei's rise to power was so poorly done, there really isn't going to be a good reason for Dany to consult her. Honestly, I don't see in what world Dany who has achieved so much goes to Cersei of all people looking for advice. We already dealt with the "citizens don't love Dany" deal in mereen. I see what you're going for, and yes, they should have built the madness aspect up a bit better, but this feels as contrived as what we got.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how anyone can come away from last episode and think that the people of KL have any part in "mocking" or "laughing at" Dany, or that they are in any way responsible for the slights against her

I want to be clear that I am not saying the innocent civilians were mocking her, deserved what happened, or were even really involved in any of the events of this season. Because that's just not true.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question remains... would she even let Jon leave King's Landing now? His mere existence is a threat to her rule. I think she loves him, and I think that's why she's afraid of him. She sees all these qualities that she wants to be seen as having. So much so that she admires him more than any person alive and already found herself bending to his will and assisting him not out of fear, but out of love. I think she sees what a danger someone so charismatic and inspiring would be if it were known he was the true King of Westeros.

I don't think she would marry him, now. She resents him too much. But, if she gave it some time, and if she would have won with honor, I think Jon would have come around to open himself back up to her. I think he DOES love her, but is unsure if it's right to love her. You know what I mean?

Oct 25, 2017
The question remains... would she even let Jon leave King's Landing now? His mere existence is a threat to her rule. I think she loves him, and I think that's why she's afraid of him. She sees all these qualities that she wants to be seen as having. So much so that she admires him more than any person alive and already found herself bending to his will and assisting him not out of fear, but out of love. I think she sees what a danger someone so charismatic and inspiring would be if it were known he was the true King of Westeros.

I don't think she would marry him, now. She resents him too much. But, if she gave it some time, and if she would have won with honor, I think Jon would have come around to open himself back up to her. I think he DOES love her, but is unsure if it's right to love her. You know what I mean?

You've given more thought to these characters going into the final episode than the showrunners probably have.

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017
i find it absolutely amazing that people think Dany's turn was sudden. They have been hinting at it since season 2. I honestly think people don't pay close attention to the show .
Jamies arc also make sense. He always goes back to her. Always. So why people think it was handled badly is beyond me. He even said he puts family first in Season 8 when he shows up at winterfell. Once the threat of the night king was over, I had no doubt he would head back to her.

The bedding of Sir Brienne was more about her arc than Jamies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

so you want Arya to kill Jon? Isnt that how the nameless assassins get their skins, from their victims? >_>

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i find it absolutely amazing that people think Dany's turn was sudden. They have been hinting at it since season 2. I honestly think people don't pay close attention to the show .
Jamies arc also make sense. He always goes back to her. Always. So why people think it was handled badly is beyond me. He even said he puts family first in Season 8 when he shows up at winterfell. Once the threat of the night king was over, I had no doubt he would head back to her.

The bedding of Sir Brienne was more about her arc than Jamies.
no they didnt. they showed dany as an angry leader that makes very brash and empty threats but overtime she became a just ruler that does fail but also does have her heart in the right place. she would have never burned the slaves in mereen alive to prove a point.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eps1 to 4: hey jaime might be good
Ep5: SIKE
Look, I understand being disappointed in Jamie, but it does not negate his arc or character development.

Jamie went from being a selfish, self-loathing knight who fought for the wrong reasons to becoming a selfless knight who fought for the good of the realm, and ultimately redeemed himself in the eyes of everyone around him. He started the story a villain but ended it a hero.

Him returning to his one true love, the mother of his children, and the same toxic relationship he has known his entire life does not undermine any of his arc. Its his tragic flaw. He had every opportunity to live out a happy ending, but that was not the ending he wanted. He died on his own terms.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cersei getting infinite shots at redemption is pure trash
She's a terrorist but tyrion keeps tripping over his own dick to defend her

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, I understand being disappointed in Jamie, but it does not negate his arc or character development.

Jamie went from being a selfish, self-loathing knight who fought for the wrong reasons to becoming a selfless knight who fought for the good of the realm, and ultimately redeemed himself in the eyes of everyone around him. He started the story a villain but ended it a hero.

Him returning to his one true love, the mother of his children, and the same toxic relationship he has known his entire life does not undermine any of his arc. Its his tragic flaw. He had every opportunity to live out a happy ending, but that was not the ending he wanted. He died on his own terms.
yeah i was okay with it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Jamie's story could have been better with a couple of extra episodes, or even an extra scene where he wakes up with Brienne in the morning and acts all awkward because he doesn't feel like he deserves to be properly loved.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up reading the spoilers. Wow what a complete shit show. And I feel like I am pretty generous regarding plot issues.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
i never said foreshadowing, she did things throughout the seasons that showed that she could be cruel when people werent on her side. It was part of her character

I don't think they sold it that well then. They always alluded to the potential of Targaryens being mad, but my impression was always that Dany was different. I didn't get any vibe of her being a mad tyrant until maybe last season and it wasn't really expanded upon. In general, a longer season would have probably given them a bit more time to develop this either way.

I'm not just trying to shit on the writers, but I feel that a lot of nuance was lost from the show when they had to start handling the major story beats rather than solely follow the template set by the books. Reading the books, I understand motivations of characters and it feels somewhat consistent, the early seasons also do an alright job of this. Currently, it feels like characters change simply based on how they need them to fit into whatever situation.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people comparing this shit to Last Jedi?

Last Jedi made sense. You may not like the choices, but the logic tracked.

This shit is just rushed, nonsensical trash.

May 26, 2018
This is one of those things that is so lightly implied that it can't be said to have happened at all.

By the evidence, the people of King's Landing are not being held under the thumb of a tyrant. There are rich, poor, bad, and good. They are free enough to throw shit at their new king when it displeases them, throw shit at the queen, and cheer the arrival of Euron in the streets.

The life they know is so familiar to them that they don't want it suddenly uprooted by an invader. That doesn't mean they hate or love Daenerys, any more than they hate or love Cersei. It's just what they're used to.

The show might have explored this idea, or at least changed the context under which Cersei rules.

This makes me wonder how a well-written peasant character living in KL might've added or detracted, regarding the story.

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think they sold it that well then. They always alluded to the potential of Targaryens being mad, but my impression was always that Dany was different. I didn't get any vibe of her being a mad tyrant until maybe last season and it wasn't really expanded upon. In general, a longer season would have probably given them a bit more time to develop this either way.

I'm not just trying to shit on the writers, but I feel that a lot of nuance was lost from the show when they had to start handling the major story beats rather than solely follow the template set by the books.

read these

https://io9.gizmodo.com/that-sudden-game-of-thrones-turn-was-actually-a-long-ti-1834722527

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/13/ga...-her-kings-landing-turn-was-very-much-earned/

i think people glossed over things because the people she did it to were bad people, but it still shows a level of madness and cruelty.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've given more thought to these characters going into the final episode than the showrunners probably have.

I'm just concerned because we haven't seen Dany since before the massacre. What's going through her mind? I'd be like "yo, I tried to tell him to stop but the bells must make dragons go crazy I dunno"

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just concerned because we haven't seen Dany since before the massacre. What's going through her mind? I'd be like "yo, I tried to tell him to stop but the bells must make dragons go crazy I dunno"

I expect her to act like a complete ice queen in the final episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.