• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm willing to forgive Avatar for this. Maybe just because I love it so much but also because it's a kids' show. If it was GoT, sure have your hero compromise his values and kill someone to remove a larger threat. But I don't think you can do that on Nickelodeon saw I'll accept a slightly bullshit third way appearing.
My overall point is that people are way too bias in how they look at things. We can be hyper critical of any property

I mean can you imagine the reaction if game of thrones tried something like that. Or how people are seemingly ignoring that the Endgame writer just retconned his own movie.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I think the scouring is more that there will be an extended bit of solving the political situation post-Jon and Dany. The epic battle is over, now here's 200 pages of backroom politics figuring out what the day-to-day of the future is going to look like.

As for why Dany swings North, I think it could go one of two ways. Either she's so morally horrified by what happens in the war with Aegon she goes North on some redemptive journey, or, contra all predictions, Aegon manages to hold onto control, and Dany goes North as a last ditch effort to win the only Westerosi allies still left on the board. I guess that situation could create something more closely mirroring the show, where she fights Aegon, loses, is convinced that rather than unleashing the dragons and Dothraki to just crush him, she should try to win cleanly with a Westerosi army, goes North to do that, and then comes back down but still ends up having to resort to some degree of unpleasant ruthlessness to get the job done and take KL from Aegon. Like, since Aegon could conceivably be actually popular, a battle to take KL may end up turning into a battle against the common people when they turn out to actually fight for him. In that situation burning the mob may be a tactical necessity to get your army into the city, but one that maybe Jon still recoils at.
Aegon being a fair and popular ruler feels like the most natural way of making Daenerys' downfall, she's too kind to burn a city that isnt ruled by filth, but too keen on her "duty" to let a fake targaryen rule, that would completely shatter her dream

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As a TLJ stan I guess I realize how it feels now to be on the other side of the coin

I like how GoT is ending much more than I liked TLJ but I still feel GoT is more understandably divisive. TLJ was never infuriating or frustrating, just very mediocre. Again, I like how things are shaping up but I can completely understand someone being angry at the show right now.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I like how GoT is ending much more than I liked TLJ but I still feel GoT is more understandably divisive. TLJ was never infuriating or frustrating, just very mediocre. Again, I like how things are shaping up but I can completely understand someone being angry at the show right now.

Hard disagree on the GoT ending being better than TLJ, but I get the general sentiment. I got out of TLJ and was like "I kind of didn't feel that one", whereas seasons 7 and 8 of GoT are just inept in the writing department, and their fixation on shock without the chops to actually sell it turns bad twists into something actively felt as betrayals by the audience.

Oct 27, 2017
What's really weird about Jaime's turnaround are that the two preceding events are finding out that Bronn was sent to kill him and that Dany lost one of her dragons, which made it seem like Cersei had a better chance of winning the war. That makes him going back to kill her more of a logical progression rather than him deciding that he always wants to be with her. Then he goes and says something that shits on his previous characterisation.

Also, with Dany's rampage on the city rather than going straight for the Red Keep it was pure chance that Cersei actually got killed. If Euron didn't happen to wash up at the exact same spot and start a fight Jaime would have gotten to her sooner and probably gotten back before that tunnel was closed off. Just think, all that destruction and it's chance that the one who should have been the target of her rage was actually killed.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Next week is going to be so bad. So fucking bad! I didnt want to bring this up earlier, but someone else on reddit did it for me, but when I saw the preview for next episode, this is exactly what came to mind:
nn9zst44jay21.jpg
The red circle is a Targaryen flag. Killing innocents and the whole Nazi imagery ( Yeah, I know its somewhat common when it comes to villains) is just going to take this Daenerys backlash to a whole new level. I've said this before, but I'll say it again, Poor Emilia Clarke. She's gonna have to explain this to all the women that looked up to her character. Fuck the writers.
So your saying that she's a targAryen?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love that the whole point of being a targaryen is just that you go crazy and try to kill people and theres no escaping it. What an interesting story arc.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
nah 1000th lord commander of the night's watch after killing Cersei
I'm really curious about how this goes down. IMO it's a complete toss-up between Jaime and Stannis. They make the most sense as prospective Lord Commanders of the Night's Watch.

The books make it very obvious that Jaime is going to die.

Here:

Brienne's sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more.

"The flames will burn so long as you live," he heard Cersei call. "When they die, so must you."

The fires that ran along the blade were guttering out, and Jaime remembered what Cersei had said. No. Terror closed a hand about his throat. Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne's burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.

"No," he said, "no, no, no. Nooooooooo!"

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people saying jaimes arc for nothing are overexaggerating. Jaime has made the right choice when he joined the army of the living. when he went to cersei he knew she would probably die. whats wrong with him wanting to die with the person he loves. his arc was about being a decent human being not about rennouncing cersei.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I suspect the Jaime ending will be the same in the books. Just a different journey. Ultimately he doesn't get redemption

I also think Jaime doesn't get redemption but he still murders Cersei.

Basically, I think the books will have Jaime murder Cersei but present it as another one of Jaime's black sins. There's nothing redemptive about it especially once you realize that Jaime turned against Cersei and wants to almost murder her because she's been cheating on him.

It's going to be like a husband coming home to find another man 7 inches deep in his wife so he grabs the shotgun from his car to shoot them both and then himself.

Oct 27, 2017
What's really weird about Jaime's turnaround are that the two preceding events are finding out that Bronn was sent to kill him and that Dany lost one of her dragons, which made it seem like Cersei had a better chance of winning the war. That makes him going back to kill her more of a logical progression rather than him deciding that he always wants to be with her. Then he goes and says something that shits on his previous characterisation.

Also, with Dany's rampage on the city rather than going straight for the Red Keep it was pure chance that Cersei actually got killed. If Euron didn't happen to wash up at the exact same spot and start a fight Jaime would have gotten to her sooner and probably gotten back before that tunnel was closed off. Just think, all that destruction and it's chance that the one who should have been the target of her rage was actually killed.

How will they even know she's dead? Her body is buried under tons and tons of stone and rock. For all anyone knows Tyrion's plan succeeded and she escaped.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I think people saying jaimes arc for nothing are overexaggerating. Jaime has made the right choice when he joined the army of the living. when he went to cersei he knew she would probably die. whats wrong with him wanting to die with the person he loves. his arc was about being a decent human being not about rennouncing cersei.
People LOVE his arc in the books. The show said fuck that lets making him a rapist

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh Jaime straight up looks into the camera and says he specifically isnt a good person.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Funny thing is most of the people defending GOT now are Arya, Sasha, and Jon stans, they all have a basic idea of how the final episode will go

Like everyone I've gotten into an argue with about this ether predicts that Arya is going to save the day again or that Jon does and immediately becomes king

I can't wait for there reaction to Arya essentially doing nothing but walk around, and Bran becoming King by doing nothing

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
he raped cersei in the books though right?

yeah he says that but his action changed a lot since the first season where he was arrogant (although he did save millions by killing the mad king)
And then he ruined the arc about him saving millions by killing the mad king by this episode having him say he never cared about them at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is most of the people defending GOT now are Arya, Sasha, and Jon stans, they all have a basic idea of how the final episode will go

Like everyone I've gotten into an argue with about this ether predicts that Arya is going to save the day again or that Jon does and immediately becomes king

I can't wait for there reaction to Arya essentially doing nothing but walk around, and Bran becoming King by doing nothing

I wonder how folks are going to take Bran as king. And that Arya ends up doing nothing in KL of value. Or that Jon's resurrection was all to kill Dany.

God. What a mess.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how folks are going to take Bran as king. And that Arya ends up doing nothing in KL of value. Or that Jon's resurrection was all to kill Dany.

God. What a mess.
The lord of light has reason to bring you back!

Honestly what part of Jons storyline wasn't useless to the grand scheme of things? He did nothing against the white, he doesn't want the throne so theres virtually no reason for this to even be an issue, and he kills Dany something that it was clear her advisers were already trying to do. Then Jon peaces out north. Talk about fucking any potential that character had with the main story lines. Gotta subvert those expectations tho

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Jaime arc in winds

meets lady stone heart

manages to survive encounter but brienne dies

he is enslaved by the brotherhood and forced to help with the 2nd red wedding agianst lannisters and freys in the river lands

he manages to escape after in the chaos and goes back to kings landing

as he makes it to the red keep Cersei is about to blow up the city becuase all her kids are dead and the golden company are sacking the city

Jaime kills her but instead of staying he flees and decides to head north

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Jaime's an odd one. I'm fine with a character going back on progress. That's also an arc. But I wish we got more a definitive look into what he feels at the end. Is he convincing the people he's talking to at the end, Tyrion and Brienne, that he's actually bad and didn't care about others? Is he trying to convince himself? Is that what he accepts? Does he feel he's not worthy of being good and thus reverts? I feel like it's kind of that Brienne is the kind of knight he feels he's supposed to strive to be but he knows he's not deep down. But we don't get that from him. It almost feels like fighting for the living and going north was more an excuse for him to Knight Brienne and give her closure no matter what it actually said for him.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Jaime arc in winds

meets lady stone heart

manages to survive encounter but brienne dies

he is enslaved by the brotherhood and forced to help with the 2nd red wedding agianst lannisters and freys in the river lands

he manages to escape after in the chaos and goes back to kings landing

as he makes it to the red keep Cersei is about to blow up the city becuase all her kids are dead and the golden company are sacking the city

Jaime kills her but instead of staying he flees and decides to head north

Now THATS how you conclude an arc, I'd prefer he takes the black. But perhaps too optimistic. I want him to be a beast with a sword I his left hand. There's a character in the book that had almost the exact situation and it's mentioned he's actually better with his left because it messes with people's angles. It's like a lefty in baseball. They're tough because most people are righties . Definite foreshadowing I saw

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The lord of light has reason to bring you back!

Honestly what part of Jons storyline wasn't useless to the grand scheme of things? He did nothing against the white, he doesn't want the throne so theres virtually no reason for this to even be an issue, and he kills Dany something that it was clear her advisers were already trying to do. Then Jon peaces out north. Talk about fucking any potential that character had with the main story lines. Gotta subvert those expectations tho

The only thing I can think of is that Jon was necessary for uniting the North and convincing Dany of the White Walker threat. That's where his usefulness ends.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
So, freefolk's leaks were true and for espisode 6 we are expecting nothing more what was leaked. Any chances to see something different??

Status
Not open for further replies.