• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Jon is ice and fire. Stark + Targ

Which is even more hilarious that this plays not a single role in any of the end plot points.

Also I read that summary and I fail to see how this isn't viewed as one of the worst finales of all time. Like that shit is BAD

Was he though?

I think people hyped Jon too much and expected some endgame where it's revealed that was the main hero of the saga where he did everything single-handedly. This wasn't that type of escapist series.

Classical heroes like Robb and Jon were consistently fed to the grinder.

Jon's parentage only exists to destroy him as a person.

JJDubz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll just tell myself that the Others were high-tailing South due to the actual Northern threat, drink some milk of the poppy, and drift away.
Does anyone think someone will say the phrase "a song of ice and fire" in dialogue in the final episode?
"Y'know, Dany, I really am the Song of Ice and Fire *stabs her in the back*."

May 26, 2018
I'll just tell myself that the Others were high-tailing South due to the actual Northern threat, drink some milk of the poppy, and drift away.

"Y'know, Dany, I really am the Song of Ice and Fire *stabs her in the back*."
"You know Dany, we really are the song of ice and fire."

giphy.gif

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Was he though?

I think people hyped Jon too much and expected some endgame where it's revealed that was the main hero of the saga where he did everything single-handedly. This wasn't that type of escapist series.

Classical heroes like Robb and Jon were consistently fed to the grinder.

Jon's parentage only exists to destroy him as a person.

I think t he biggest issue with Jon on the show is that he's not shown to have a lot of agency. Ever since he came back from the dead he's just along for the ride and not really making decisions(aside from killing Dany next episode). So instead of a classical hero who is failed by his own failings, he comes across more as a "Ah geez guys" sort of person.

The books will probably hit the same plot points but come across better in that regard. Jon's parentage is a curse to him, but he is constantly dancing between what he wants to do and what he thinks is his duty(his guestright shenanigans with Alys were such a beautiful loophole, even if uh the night's watch probably didn't like it) and him choosing to do his duty and killing Dany in the books will feel a lot more natural when it's done after thousands of pages of him fighting between duty and his desires.

In the show Jon comes across as a bit more of a "Hey do something" because he's not really doing a lot. He's still objectively the hero - he brought together the army to kill the Night King, united everyone and will rid Westeros of the genocidal invader Dany.

In my opinion Jon's issue in the show is that everything he does seems more like something he stumbled upon than something he decided to do himself, which is partially due to the show not featuring his internal thoughts and partially because somewhere around season 4 they started to rid him of his humanizing flaws. Show Jon never seems to hesitate about the Winterfell offer while Book Jon is like "I have to see my duty through but goddamn it I have never wanted something so badly in my life" and it is arguably part of his reason for marching south at the end of Dance.

Like Jon is more of a Frodo or even a Hamlet than a Rand, but the issue is less that he didn't do everything single-handedly and more that the show didn't really frame his actions the right way, in my opinion.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay here are 2 ideas I thought of:

1- They filmed multiple endings so why don't they adapt a choose your own adventure ending style for the last episode?

Or

2- Bran showing us next episode the future for the possible candidate to sit on the throne and we see why him on the throne is the best choice for the realm.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
at the 30 minute mark hbo asks us to text in what Dany will do with her prisoners. The highest amount of votes get to choose the ending. Cant complain now nerds

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
at the 30 minute mark hbo asks us to text in what Dany will do with her prisoners. The highest amount of votes get to choose the ending. Cant complain now nerds

if the whole season worked this way, Jon and Dany would be on the throne together, Sansa would be murdered, Tyrion would ride a dragon, Arya kills Cersei wearing Jaime's face, Tormund and Brienne would bang

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd use the word "lazy". Or perhaps "checked out" would be more accurate.

I just can't imagine what level of hubris it would take to willingly halfass the conclusion to one of the most beloved fantasy franchises of the past century. How fucking arrogant do you have to be to just go 'fuck it, we don't need to try'?
Checked out. Absolutely. There's evidence of this. They said they didn't need as many episodes as HBO were willing to give them.

Also, people keep complaining about the characters but honestly? They've all kinda become one dimentional. That's the goddamn problem. Jon Snow doesn't learn shit. Tyrion makes one mistake and welp, now all he does is just doubt himself and be an idiot. Jamie has the most obvious redemption arc of all time and, well, NOPE. Etc.

Plus, there's the desire to end all the character arcs instead of letting them end naturally. Euron is a perfect example. He should have gotten murdered by Dany but somehow, he got to shore and fought Jamie? Why. Why!??! So stupid and unnecessary

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been a fan or liked Dany but the way they handled her character in the last episodes of this season hurts even me. As a Dany fan I would be furious now.

Also I think it's funny how Tyrion tries to turn Jon against Dany just to send him to the Night's Watch when he kills her.

Tyrion: "Someone gotta stop Dany, she is mad."
Jon: "I have killed her."
Tyrion:
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Does anyone think someone will say the phrase "a song of ice and fire" in dialogue in the final episode?

Emmy Winning dialogue leaked from the final scene of the final episode

Dany: "You know Jon...we are really were a song of ice and fire."

Jon: "I know. A Game of thones has been played for far too long."

Dany: "Yes, the tolls due to a Clash of Kings had been far too big."

Jon: "Not to mention the number of folks killed from a Storm of Swords."

Dany: "What about your brothers from the Night's Watch? When are you giving them a Feast for Crows?"

Jon: "Hmm...I think I will do that after i had a Dance with Dragons."

Dany: "Oh Jon..........hold me...embrace me within your arms in the Winds of Winter."

Jon: "Seven Hells...by the old gods and New....blood of my blood....looks like i'll be having a Dream of Spring tonight."

Dany: "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

Jon: "Aye."

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Their side? So liking the show is a declaration of war now?

Let's play a game ok? It's called
"You can of course like the show! But try liking it while doing all of the following:
- Not accusing people who dislike it of being "miserable" / " angry nerds" who are "losing their minds" when most are simply talking about it on a message board
- Not lumping everyone who doesn't like the shows direction into the " TOXIC GOT fanbase" that does things like petition for changes to the story
-Not lumping everyone who doesn't like the shows direction into the " TOXIC GOT fanbase" that does things like attempt to personally harass D&D
- Not shitposting memes/gifs of babies crying, etc. in response to actual well thought out points people are coming with
- Not disingenuously dismissing people who view some D&D's writing as being problematic I.e. "racist/sexist/ homophobic" as doing so out of sheer malice. Especially when they constantly provide examples of said problematic writing. You're especially good at this one sweetie.

I could go on but you get my point. That petition thread earlier was eye opening in the worst way.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about Dany going batshit crazy the least sense it makes other than shock factor. Like, you can put a little exchange between Cersei and Qyburn (it's not like they had a lot of lines this season lol) saying how there are stashes of wildfire around the city, then cue evil smirk by Cersei. Dany comes, burns a bit the Lannister soldiers and oops, chain reaction. Dany is in panic trying to put out the fires but all people see is the dragon so there you go, fear. She then should burn Cersei to a crisp because that's what she deserves, if not worse. That she got to die tragically with his brother bothers me almost more than anything else.

Then in the next episode Dany is panicking and saying how she failed and begs Jon to end her misery in a speech full of regret and sentiment. Drama, there you go.

How can you be so lazy and fucking bad writer to imply than the North loves Jon because of a fucking speech from a drunk wildling after a victory??? His claim to anything is weak and lies on the robot kid and Sam, damn it, he's no threat. Nothing makes sense

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
"The Song of Ice and Fire" will be a song announced and sung by a bard in the background of Hot Pie's tavern when Arya stops in to say goodbye one last time before she leaves Westeros for good :v

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Let's play a game ok? It's called
"You can of course like the show! But try liking it while doing all of the following:
- Not accusing people who dislike it of being "miserable" / " angry nerds" who are "losing their minds" when most are simply talking about it on a message board
- Not lumping everyone who doesn't like the shows direction into the " TOXIC GOT fanbase" that does things like petition for changes to the story
-Not lumping everyone who doesn't like the shows direction into the " TOXIC GOT fanbase" that does things like attempt to personally harass D&D
- Not shitposting memes/gifs of babies crying, etc. in response to actual well thought out points people are coming with
- Not disingenuously dismissing people who view some D&D's writing as being problematic I.e. "racist/sexist/ homophobic" as doing so out of sheer malice. Especially when they constantly provide examples of said problematic writing. You're especially good at this one sweetie.

I could go on but you get my point. That petition thread earlier was eye opening in the worst way.

Sounds like you're lumping everyone who likes the show into one big group. And if that's what were doing, the group that dislikes the show posts an awful lot of shitposts and memes and regularly implies those who like it of being stupid in various different ways.

And to the last point, I didn't say that person's intent was malicious. I said they're trying to paint D&D as malicious. Either the person who made that argument or the one who linked me to it literally said D&D deserve to burn in hell and made it clear they have an axe to grind with them. Combine that with blatantly stripping context away from the medieval history background of the show (men in power, men's power over women in the dark ages, etc) and deliberately interpreting scenes in a particular way to fit their argument, yeah, I can comfortably say they weren't looking to give the benefit of the doubt in any way. They wanted to twist writing that could easily be interpreted as simply taking shortcuts or short sighted with its imagery into definitive proof that these guys are the worst fucking things you can accuse a human being of.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Sounds like you're lumping everyone who likes the show into one big group. And if that's what were doing, the group that dislikes the show posts an awful lot of shitposts and memes and regularly implies those who like it of being stupid in various different ways.

And to the last point, I didn't say that person's intent was malicious. I said they're trying to paint D&D as malicious. Either the person who made that argument or the one who linked me to it literally said D&D deserve to burn in hell and made it clear they have an axe to grind with them. Combine that with blatantly stripping context away from the medieval history background of the show (men in power, men's power over women in the dark ages, etc) and deliberately interpreting scenes in a particular way to fit their argument, yeah, I can comfortably say they weren't looking to give the benefit of the doubt in any way. They wanted to twist writing that could easily be interpreted as simply taking shortcuts or short sighted with its imagery into definitive proof that these guys are the worst fucking things you can accuse a human being of.

Like most things about this show now, I'll just agree to disagree on this. The last time I read the " people are stupid" bs was back in episode 3.
With Episodes 4,5 people don't need ad hominem , they're too busy detailing what they found wrong with the show.
Just look at that petition thread and the amount of people trolling and shitposting with zero actual thought. There is zero defense for some of the stuff being said in there in reference to people who dislike the show in its present form. The amount of vitriol is firmly coming from one " side" vs. the other. It is incredibly petty and mean spirited.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
How many o
I have never been a fan or liked Dany but the way they handled her character in the last episodes of this season hurts even me. As a Dany fan I would be furious now.

Also I think it's funny how Tyrion tries to turn Jon against Dany just to send him to the Night's Watch when he kills her.

Tyrion: "Someone gotta stop Dany, she is mad."
Jon: "I have killed her."
Tyrion:
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png
I mean Jon probably would have gone to the north anyway even without the punishment. He has no desire to have the throne

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i woke up and thought about it

i'm not watching this episode

that sounds meh as fuck. someone tell me if the music is fire and if night queen dany happens at the end

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me how small the world of Game of Thrones is now. At some point you can let go of the plot holes and stuff but it's terribly disappointing how they stopped all pretense of this being a fleshed out lived in world.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Jon is ice and fire. Stark + Targ

Which is even more hilarious that this plays not a single role in any of the end plot points.

Also I read that summary and I fail to see how this isn't viewed as one of the worst finales of all time. Like that shit is BAD

I figured a Song of Ice and Fire refers to White Walkers and Dragons respectively.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Song of Ice and Fire could be referring to the two existential threats to Westeros - the NK and the Long Night and the Targaryen dynasty making a return to power.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the leaks, is it just me or Tyrion seems to have a lot of power to tell Grey Worm what's what... For a self professed traitor who resigned his hand position and was condemned to Death by his Queen that is.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
I figured a Song of Ice and Fire refers to White Walkers and Dragons respectively.
Ice is cold calculation, to be lead only by the brain (the heart of winter), fire is pure passion, to be lead by the heart (the fiery heart). The question will be the culmination of Jon's arc, having been reborn seemingly with only ice in his heart, armoured all in ice, all warmth having fled from him, icy eyes of judgment, winter is coming etc . . . he will be made to decide if he would stand aside and let his bastard child be sacrificed so that Others may be defeated and the realm saved. To save the child would be to prove he has still some warmth left within him, that he has not a heart of winter.

A Song of Ice and Fire is an argument for neither one without the other but both in moderation.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Would have loved if they had included the davos/manderly interactions from the books.
Also did the books always seem even darker thematically than the show especially in regards to bran, 3ec, beyond the wall ? Really wish the show had delved further into the dark and evil lore.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't understand why the Night's Watch will still exist. Unless Westeros has no better idea of what to do with people it doesn't feel like killing but are none the less guilty of some crime. "Go sit on the wall, I guess, and watch for... stuff"
Greyworm is too dumb to realize it's not an actual sentence. They ruined the white walkers so there is no reason to stand watch. Hence why they will have Jon fuck off to go to the true north.

Fucking crappy ending that will just make me hold out hope for the books more. D&D can not write at all.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story starts with ice (Ned's sword) and ends with fire (Jon's sword after he pulls it out of dany)

Can I make a star war now

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Haha that summary is amazing

It's so baffling how they don't even know what the fuck arya is supposed to be

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least now we know why Arya killed the Night King. If she didn't get that moment then she wouldn't have had anything to do this season.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
At this point I just want a cameo of Vanilla Ice being fire as fuck.
A perfect ending for the dumpster fire that is Season 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.