• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the Night's Watch will still exist. Unless Westeros has no better idea of what to do with people it doesn't feel like killing but are none the less guilty of some crime. "Go sit on the wall, I guess, and watch for... stuff"

You mean like pretty much every country in our world?

Sure we have nuclear weapons, aircraft carriers and advanced jet fighters. But we need a reserve army too! You know, just in case and stuff.

Sigh, what an ending. And wait, Dany gets stabbed , Drogon fucks off with her body and that's it...? Nothing more with her?

People have already decided this is the case, but be aware that it isn't actually based on anything. For example did you realise Qyburn didn't actually die in the last episode? You think he did, but it wasn't in the leak so it didn't actually happen.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People already have an out with stuff like that "redo" petition, or "fans" attempting to harass D&D. The talk will shift away from the quality of what we got and instead seek to discredit/ attack the character of the "haters". I'm seeing it way too much already. Even TLJ discussions had people going back and forth with actual points. This...it's just gotten so petty and personal already
Someone in the petition thread just told me the shows writing was never good as a defense for my criticism. People will pull anything out of their asses to defend this mess.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of people who still defended these last few episodes will be caught off guard how nonsensical and unsatisfying the finale will be. That latest summary, wow.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You mean like pretty much every country in our world?

Sure we have nuclear weapons, aircraft carriers and advanced jet fighters. But we need a reserve army too! You know, just in case and stuff.

But the Night's Watch is so far away from everyone that they'd be useless in a formal war scenario, and they suffer constantly just existing. They don't need to exist without the Wildling or Other threats. If the nations of Westeros need a reserve army they can host it themselves instead of telling it to fuck off to literally the furthest reaches of the continent and freeze to death just in case it might be needed to interject on someone's behalf at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
He may not be in the books but he should be, and GRRM will give him a more satisfying story.
There's the Great Other but IIRC when Mel looks in her fire for him she sees Bran looking back. Whether that's just Bran being the 3ER or hinting at a connection between the Children of the Forest/Old Gods and the Others is unclear. Either way, I can't imagine it acting like the Phantom Menace droid control ship.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's hilarious that in the last episode Westeros suddenly discovers democracy.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Well GRRM did say this after he scrapped the five year timeskip:

Jon marries the God-Empress of Yi Ti and becomes God-Emperor of Yi-Ti for a day. She trips and falls on his sword which leads to him inheriting the title as she was the last of her line. Jon abdicates the throne out of guilt and Bran inherits the title as Jon's little brother.

Repeat until Bran becomes Emperor Lelouch:

81c8cf8b-1602-4d24-a3c5-a73431b6d11c_512.jpg

Bran: "Now God-Emperor Brandon Stark commands you!!! Obey me subjects! Obey me World!!!"

The post-credits scene is King Bran in his sick new armor on the Iron Throne:

th
I am fucking howling at the idea of DnD doing the ending from Code Geass for GoT. Bran as Nunnally. Varys as the tv producer dude. This is great.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the Night's Watch is so far away from everyone that they'd be useless in a formal war scenario, and they suffer constantly just existing. They don't need to exist without the Wildling or Other threats. If the nations of Westeros need a reserve army they can host it themselves instead of telling it to fuck off to literally the furthest reaches of the continent and freeze to death just in case it might be needed to interject on someone's behalf at some point.

Yeah true, we'd have nothing like that today.

Now excuse me while I go build and patrol a huge fuck off wall to protect from coyotes coming across from Mexico.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The only show I can think of that lost me harder than this one is Battlestar Galactica. I ragequit that show when they revealed the Final Five.
Yeah Battlestar's ending kinda flopped hard. Wasn't as bad for me because Battlestar's quality never really hit GOT's highs for me and I watched it after the fact rather than with nearly a decade of buildup.

With Battlestar it's pretty clear they didn't know where they were going with things throughout. Kinda sad for GOT to fumble so hard when they had known big ending points for quite a while.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the petition thread just told me the shows writing was never good as a defense for my criticism. People will pull anything out of their asses to defend this mess.

Every season, someone else was crying about how "their" character got treated or how the writing was terrible. Were you one of those people who cried and cried for months about how poorly Stannis was treated?

Because think about it. You and others are now one of those "Stannis people", just 2019 style.

If that doesn't give you pause I don't know what else will.

Now on the other hand if you are one of those Stannis people, how can you complain that the series was suddenly bad? Seems to me you can't claim a victory either way here.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah true, we'd have nothing like that today.

Now excuse me while I go build and patrol a huge fuck off wall to protect from coyotes coming across from Mexico.
So in your scenario are the Night's Watch a reserve army or border patrol there to stop Mexicans Wildlings from getting across? It's unclear. You seem to be trying hard to force a really dumb parallel.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
So after becoming the sole leader of the Dothraki and unsullied army Grey Worm just lets Jon and Tyrion off after all they did wow. At least kill Tyrion since it makes no sense for him to still be alive after all the stupid mistakes he has done.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every season, someone else was crying about how "their" character got treated or how the writing was terrible. Were you one of those people who cried and cried for months about how poorly Stannis was treated?

Because think about it. You and others are now one of those "Stannis people", just 2019 style.

Now on the other hand if you are one of those Stannis people, how can you complain that the series was suddenly bad? Seems to me you can't claim a victory either way here.
The writing in this season is bad without being restricted to one character. The whole thing feels rushed.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in your scenario are the Night's Watch a reserve army or border patrol there to stop Mexicans Wildlings from getting across? It's unclear. You seem to be trying hard to force a really dumb parallel.

Yes.

It isn't a dumb parallel, it is perfectly normal. You give people a dumb, pointless job, fool them into thinking it is important and hope that they keep doing it and stay out of trouble.

Which is exactly what the nights watch always was (until the white walkers suddenly showed up)

The writing in this season is bad without being restricted to one character. The whole thing feels rushed.

No you can't have it both ways.

Either the writing is as good as it ever was, or the Stannis character was written perfectly and his conclusion was well handled and given the time it deserved.

I'm fine with admitting season 8 is the worst thing ever, I'll even sign the petition. But the deal is I never have to hear about Stannis ever again. Agreed?

No i didn't think so. People will never let Stannis go, so it stands that season 8 is great. Case closed.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The first 3 seasons, especially the first, were perfect. This has nothing to do with fan favorite characters. The entire story and nearly every character has been butchered. Jaime, Brienne, Daenerys, Jon, Tyrion, and Bran have been absolutely destroyed. This season is pure garbage. Complete and total garbage that even the actors themselves are calling it out.

Oct 27, 2017
Which is exactly what the nights watch always was (until the white walkers suddenly showed up)
Not true. The purpose of the Night's Watch to begin with was to protect against the Others. Obviously this purpose was lost with time and men became complacent against the real threat (see also Minas Ithil in LotR) and their purpose was thought to be keeping the Wildlings out, which although misguided is still a purpose. Now? The White Walkers are gone. The Wildlings have been allowed in and there's a massive hole in the wall that isn't stopping anyone from getting through. Now the Night's Watch has no purpose.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
No you can't have it both ways.

Either the writing is as good as it ever was, or the Stannis character was written perfectly and his conclusion was well handled and given the time it deserved.

I'm fine with admitting season 8 is the worst thing ever, I'll even sign the petition. But the deal is I never have to hear about Stannis ever again. Agreed?

No i didn't think so. People will never let Stannis go, so it stands that season 8 is great. Case closed.

Why can't Stannis' arc be shit and now all the arcs are shit? Dorne was shit, Stannis was shit, now everything is pretty much shit. What is your angle? You seem really invested in protecting the sanctity of shit.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why the Night's Watch will still exist. Unless Westeros has no better idea of what to do with people it doesn't feel like killing but are none the less guilty of some crime. "Go sit on the wall, I guess, and watch for... stuff"
You realize the nights watch was staffed for hundreds and hundreds of years even when no one even believed in white walkers/wights right? Why would that cease now that it's confirmed?

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
You realize the nights watch was staffed for hundreds and hundreds of years even when no one even believed in white walkers/wights right? Why would that cease now that it's confirmed?

The threat shifted to the wildlings in that time frame. Now wildlings and Northmen are BFFs, so there is literally nothing really set up as a threat up to episode 5. Maybe episode 6 explains this but I doubt it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was he though?

I think people hyped Jon too much and expected some endgame where it's revealed that was the main hero of the saga where he did everything single-handedly. This wasn't that type of escapist series.

Classical heroes like Robb and Jon were consistently fed to the grinder.

Jon's parentage only exists to destroy him as a person.
How did his parentage destroy him? And I disagree. Jon was virtually the only character on the show that got the kind of plot armor he got. Coming back from death, always being bailed out of every bad situation he got himself into. I disagree entirely that the story didn't build him up to be that type of hero.

Their side? So liking the show is a declaration of war now?
What the fuck even is this. I know youre banned now but jesus christ you know damn well I was not insinuating that.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
How did his parentage destroy him? And I disagree. Jon was virtually the only character on the show that got the kind of plot armor he got. Coming back from death, always being bailed out of every bad situation he got himself into. I disagree entirely that the story didn't build him up to be that type of hero.

What the fuck even is this. I know youre banned now but jesus christ you know damn well I was not insinuating that.
I think they meant "destroyed him" as in "made his life miserable and unhappy"
If ned didn't have to hide him he could have stayed in winterfell and probably help robb and avoid half of the issues they had during war but since he lied about the kid being a bastard cause he was a prince that should have been dead he had to go to the wall and it's all downhill from here

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the summary I think they tricked Greyworm with the Night's watch stuff and Tyrion's intent is that Jon just goes north. It would be the first smart move he's made in like 3 seasons so that's why I have my doubts.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the show subverts my expectations by doing a better ending lol.

You know as much as it worked for the first few seasons, I dunno if the show really needed to stick to GRRM's ending. They made the show so much of its own thing by Season 4 or 5, that it might have been better to just do their own thing, especially since they didnt have the source material to work off of.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the summary I think they tricked Greyworm with the Night's watch stuff and Tyrion's intent is that Jon just goes north. It would be the first smart move he's made in like 3 seasons so that's why I have my doubts.

we will wait for the writers' explanation, it seems they have all the answers lol

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I wonder what he got banned for.

Also is anyone else still like 30% sure the final leak is wrong? For me its the nights watch thing. What, are you gonna just stick a bunch of random fuckers on a wall for no reason? Makes zero sense.

Also makes zero sense that it would be staffed by wildlings. They're wildlings, they even explicitly say they want to go back to the "real north" (aka BEYOND the wall)

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way in which they're conveniently getting rid of Greyworm, the unsullied and the dorthraki sounds so stupid.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

Also is anyone else still like 30% sure the final leak is wrong? For me its the nights watch thing. What, are you gonna just stick a bunch of random fuckers on a wall for no reason? Makes zero sense.

Also makes zero sense that it would be staffed by wildlings. They're wildlings, they even explicitly say they want to go back to the "real north" (aka BEYOND the wall)

the leaks have been right so far, and people thought the leaked subtitles for the last episode was fake due to how absurd it was so.......

lol

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I just hope the backlash is enough to make HBO give D&D an extremely short leash with Confederate, because these fools left unchecked are going to put some boneheaded tomfoolery into that show that HBO won't be able to apologize enough for.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My current headcanon regarding the Night's Watch: The wall, under the new Westerosi Administration, becomes a Planetos Heritage Site. The Night's Watch are just glorified park rangers and tour guides.

Jon: "...And this is where the Night King used Viserion to break the wall"

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017

Didn't Bran say in one of the leaks that there must always be a Night King because of balance and stuff? That could make sense with book lore, the Others were defeated before and they came back, but on the show the NK was created once by the COTF and now he's gone so in the show it doesn't make sense. That sums up the entire show basically lol.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
A remake of the season is obviously absurd, but a significantly extended season would do wonders. A lot of the story beats aren't awful in isolation (I know some are) but are so rushed they feel like they come out nowhere.

It still won't happen, of course, but I can dream.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Bran say in one of the leaks that there must always be a Night King because of balance and stuff? That could make sense with book lore, the Others were defeated before and they came back, but on the show the NK was created once by the COTF and now he's gone so in the show it doesn't make sense. That sums up the entire show basically lol.

No i think thats a reference to Wrath of the Lich King. If they just pull a WOTLK that would be hilariously nonsensical (which makes me think its real)

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I would bet money on the dead / night king scenario still being a possible threat in the distant future.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of actually want a Night Queen Dany split second shot at the end to happen just because it would at least get a reaction at viewing parties.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the people who continue to try and suggest the leaks arent real still, again, will be here next week telling us why the episodes themselves aren't real at this point.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Thinking long term, the North would still want to defend against raids from the wildlings, you guys. Manning some castles along the previous wall somewhere around the Gift does make sense to me.

Can't come up with any kind of succession logic that would have anyone in Westeros actually accept fucking Bran on the throne. Or Bronn on the council, for that matter.

Everything else from the leak seems fine to me in broad strokes and mostly depends on the execution (ruh roh).

Status
Not open for further replies.