• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I know it's been talked about in the OT, but it probably deserves its own thread:

Multiple journalists are releasing this video and talking about it, so might as well talk about the implications.

Alyx decides to follow G-Man to save her father, ending has Eli revived, Dog gives Gordon his crowbar, and they both know they must save Alyx too now.
So different from the original HL2:ep3 planned plot

edit:
replaced the video with a better one, thanks Arsenekinz

Last edited:

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I guess the wait makes sense if they weren't happy with how they ended Episode 2, and the direction they were taking.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
This is pretty amazing. I'm really thrilled that this game is, in its own way
also a sequel to Episode 2, finally.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since the thread is labeled "SPOILER" do we really need to use spoiler tags?

Something feels kind of weird and not right about resurrecting a character whose voice actor has died, after he gave a pretty memorable and iconic performance. They should have just left things as they were. Retconning the end of HL2 is also kinda cheap. I do like the twist that Alyx is now stuck being "employed" by the G-Man's organization.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve clearly didn't care to follow up on a 13 year old cliffhanger, so they made their own new one to expand on what half life 3 could be.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of weird to do a thread on the ending on a game within two hours of the release of it. It's impossible for anyone to have finished it yet. There's already a spoiler thread.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, feels kind of cheap to undo Episode 2's ending like that.
The larger problem is that they are clearly asserting that they can rewrite the events of any previous game or any future game as they see fit. So it's then going to be hard to have impactful moments or true stakes when your audience knows anything can be undone with a snap of a finger. They could kill Gordon Freeman in the introduction of the next game and everybody would expect him to come back anyway.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boy am I glad I stopped caring about Half-Life's plot years ago cause I'd probably be pissed to have waited this long for that.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
You'd have to be fucking High as Hell if you thought valve was going to walk in the exact footsteps of "Apostle 3" or whatever.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of weird to do a thread on the ending on a game within two hours of the release of it. There's already a spoiler thread.
I mean, the chances of me ever playing this game are slim to none (no PC, no urge to build one, and no urge to get a VR headset even if I did), so I'm fine with seeing where the story goes ASAP.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
That's pretty cool. And by the sounds of it, after that leak they needed to re set the story

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible for the player to choose not to alter the future? It looks like that change is initiated by the player.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Didn't help that the plot was published already "Epistle 3"
"I remember thinking 'I didn't think that's what we were planning for Episode Three at all,'" said Walker. "So I think my reaction to Epistle Three was largely 'Oh, I've seen these kinds of things from Marc before.' They're like a dump of something he's thinking of at the time. There was never a document that said 'Here's what Episode Three is going to be like.' There was never a document from Marc about 'Here's the overall exact thing that needs to happen.' Instead, there were many documents."
https://kotaku.com/why-valve-gave-up-on-multiple-half-life-3s-1842450268

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Wow that was so dope. It's such a shame this IP has been dormant for so long, what an awesome world, and clearly incredible developers. Here's hoping they get to make more!

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Since the thread is labeled "SPOILER" do we really need to use spoiler tags?
Not really, I just did in the OP because I know some people complain anyway, and since the OP is captured automatically on some twitter bots.

Everyone should discuss without tags imo.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has there every been speculation on who Gman's employers are? Another alien empire that reveals the combine?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has there every been speculation on who Gman's employers are? Another alien empire that reveals the combine?
He's like the opposite of a Deus Ex Machina. Some omnipotent jackass that jumps in at the least minute to prevent the heroes from experiencing victory.

I doubt that even Valve has written any kind of background or lore for him.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
There's tons of speculation at this point lol.
That G-Man is basically an alien himself, working in an agency, etc. A common theory is more that he's freelance and working for different clients (including the combine in HL1).

edit:
So wait, what happened? G-Man sent Alyx back and she saved Eli?
It's more a "deal with the devil" kind of thing. G-Man shows him the future, and she makes a deal to save her father.
She forgets about the deal in the future, "unforeseen consequences" is that the future is rewritten at the right time for the deal.

But yeah, he sends her back, she saves Eli, comes back, etc. Time paradox kind of thing.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheap. Should have just followed the Star Wars model and brought him back to life with spider legs.