• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful ending. Here's a thought: What are the odds that the Gordon Freeman-led games are traditional games for flat screens while Alyx titles are VR games that run parallel to the main story?

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the video since I'll probably never play it. I'm blown away by the gameplay tbh, a lot better than I expected. Kinda disapointed by the retcon, It cheapens the emotional punch of Ep.2. I would rather play through Epistle 3.

Beautiful ending. Here's a thought: What are the odds that the Gordon Freeman-led games are traditional games for flat screens while Alyx titles are VR games that run parallel to the main story?
That would be great!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
We still need to see how the Borealis gets in the picture, if they can somehow reverse the invasion it's not all for nothing. but Eli needs to live for that to happen.

Based on the original script, the Borealis does not stop the Combine. But again, who knows what they'll do now that Laidlaw is no longer on board.

https://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

What it came down to, at last, was a choice. Elizabeth Moss argued, reasonably, that we should save the Borealis and deliver it to the resistance, that our intelligent peers might study and harness its power. But Alex reminded me had sworn she would honor her mother's demand that we destroy the ship. She hatched a plan to set the Borealis to self-destruct, while riding it into the heart of the Combine's invasion nexus. Moss and Alex argued. Elizabeth overpowered Alex and brought the Borealis area, preparing to shut off the Bootstrap Device and settle the ship on the ice. Then I heard a shot, and Elizabeth fell. Alex had decided for all of us, or her weapon had. With Dr. Moss dead, we were committed to the suicide plunge. Grimly, Alex and I armed the Borealis, creating a time-travelling missile, and steered it for the heart of the Combine's command center.

At this point, as you will no doubt be unsurprised to hear, a Certain Sinister Figure appeared, in the form of that sneering trickster, G-Man. For once he appeared not to me, but to Alex Vance. Alex had not seen the cryptical schoolmarm since childhood, but she recognized him instantly. "Come along with me now, we've places to do and things to be," said G-Man, and Alex acquiesced. She followed the strange grey man out of the Borealis, out of our reality. For me, there was no convenient door held open; only a snicker and a sideways glance. I was left alone, riding the weaponized luxury liner into the heart of a Combine world. An immense light blazed. I caught a cosmic view of a brilliantly glittering Dyson sphere. The vastness of the Combine's power, the futility of our struggle, blossomed briefly in my awareness. I saw everything. Mainly I saw how the Borealis, our most powerful weapon, would register as less than a fizzling matchhead as it blew itself apart. And what remained of me would be even less than that...

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Can't say the ending makes me excited for the future of HL but as people have said, they retcon everything.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This was incredible. Never get to play it myself as I'm not planning on buying any VR headset anytime soon, but after hearing the hype for the ending from several places I'm glad I got to experience it at least in some way.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'm not sure if i like a retcon like that and i also don't know what it accomplishes storywise

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i get that the execution isn't fully there and up to ppl's tastes but that subjectivity will always be there when trying to revive something after a decade-plus of dormancy... seems like ppl are finally gonna get the full-fledged half life 3 sequel they've been waiting for and that's pretty exciting, i suppose.

and thanks for posting this up. i'd never have the money space and time to have that vr experience myself so i'm glad to see it myself in some fashion.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'll say this if the ending to half life 3 is going to be time travel to stop the resonance cascade from happening at black mesa to stop the combine from ever coming to earth that's going to be lame as hell

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
i'm not sure if i like a retcon like that and i also don't know what it accomplishes storywise
G-man talking about a mutable future and splitting into multiple selves is implying alternate dimensions and timelines. This alt-dimension Alyx is going to be an antagonistic force working for G-man in the sequel, which could easily take place in the established HL2 continuity in which Eli is dead.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
i'll say this if the ending to half life 3 is going to be time travel to stop the resonance cascade from happening at black mesa to stop the combine from ever coming to earth that's going to be lame as hell
I'm pretty sure some of the dialogue in the ending rules out preventing any of the games from happening.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

It frees Valve from having to have Alyx tag along with Gordon in Episode 3. When Valve said the episodic model wasn't working, I don't think they were just talking about the way it was released, I don't think they were just talking about the release structure. I think they came to realize that having Gordon tied to a persistent NPC buddy was limiting gameplay and storytelling potential.

So I guess Half-Life Alyx is their way of giving us a sorta send-off for that character, and freeing up Half-Life 3 to once again feature Gordon as the sole protagonist. And since the narrative hook of Half-Life 3 is apparently saving Alyx, watch the Borealis be the prologue and also the means of Gordon hopping dimensions to chase after G-Man. I could see the Borealis being a sort of hub world, and one that you could potentially repair over time.

Frankly, I think all of this is fucking brilliant, given the narrative hole they locked themselves into with Episode 2. I can't fucking wait for Half-Life 3, whenever it comes.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think that would be the best way of doing it tbh. As said in another thread, they both have different toolsets.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thank fuck they didn't go with Epistle 3 stuff.
This, as soon as laidlaw put out that story, I knew whatever the sequel would be, it would not go that path at all. and they would do something to change the story cards dealt to them at the end of EP2

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
From interviews, Valve seemed to be interest about the reception because they want to know if they could keep going on this VR path when moving forward

So I wouldn't hold my breath for any non VR game from Valve. Specially since you control Gordon at the end of HL Alyx.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
From interviews, Valve seemed to be interest about the reception because they want to know if they could keep going on this VR path when moving forward

So I wouldn't hold my breath for any non VR game from Valve. Specially since you control Gordon at the end of HL Alyx.
You don't really control him tbh.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan at all. It's very beautifully presented and it's incredible to see Episode 2's final moments remade in Source 2, but the retcon is completely unnecessary and change-the-past timeline fuckery complicates the series time travel and multidimensional narrative beats that otherwise delicately balanced having both concrete rules and ambiguity.

Writers need to stay the fuck away from stories where people travel backwards through time and change the past. It complicates the narrative with vague, vapid science magic that can never follow a concrete set of rules and just opens up stories to have whatever the writers want happen with utmost convenience and contrivances. Half-Life dealt with a lot of weird dimensional and time dilation stuff, but kept its feet pretty firmly on the ground on what did and did not work. It's the kind of series that had a "slow teleport" as a means of time travel explained and integrated into the story itself, without displacing the rest of the narrative.

Obviously the G-MAN breaks a lot of these rules, and that's what makes him interesting, but the ambiguity works there as he's a secondary avatar from whom the mystique and law breaking can be observed by the player. The sense of not knowing his limits, and also not being able to posses his power, gives him a presence in the narrative framework that is omnipotent and awe inspiring. And even so, there's no events in my recollection of him travelling to the past and changing timelines. Because, you know, changing the past is a big fucking deal.

So yeah. I get the intention in order to shape the future of the series (hah), but like most change-the-past time travel in other stories it's just lazy and contrived as far as I'm concerned. Anything is possible now and that's boring.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Obviously the G-MAN breaks a lot of these rules, and that's what makes him interesting, but the ambiguity works there as he's a secondary avatar from whom the mystique and law breaking can be observed by the player. The sense of not knowing his limits, and also not being able to posses his power, gives him a presence in the narrative framework that is omnipotent and awe inspiring. And even so, there's no events in my recollection of him travelling to the past and changing timelines. Because, you know, changing the past is a big fucking deal.

We might actually know his limits, though, as well as his origin story. You probably aren't aware of this, but Mike Laidlaw (who was a consultant on Half-Life: Alyx) revealed a lot of additional info about the Advisor race (the combine grubs aka Shuulathoi) on a now infamous twitter account named @BreenGrub.

(The account, of course, was named after Dr. Breen, which was implied in Epistle 3 to have been attempting to mutate into a Shuulathoi larval form at the end of Half-Life 2, resulting in a horrid monstrosity after the citadel was blown up mid-transformation)

Anyway, one of the things revealed by breengrub was that adult Shuulathoi can chose whatever form they want. Combine this with another breengrub revelation that the Shuulathoi themselves were victims of the combine, and you can see now why a lot of fans theorize that the G-Man is a fully matured member of that race - which explains why he seemingly is motivated by a desire to take down the Combine.

However, the fact that the Combine were able to enslave the entire Shuulathoi race, implies they are far stronger than an entire population of adult Shuulathoi. Which explains why they were able to capture G-Man and keep him in containment in Half-Life: Alyx.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We might actually know his limits, though, as well as his origin story. You probably aren't aware of this, but Mike Laidlaw (who was a consultant on Half-Life: Alyx) revealed a lot of additional info about the Advisor race (the combine grubs aka Shuulathoi) on a now infamous twitter account named @BreenGrub.

(The account, of course, was named after Dr. Breen, which was implied in Epistle 3 to have been attempting to mutate into a Shuulathoi larval form at the end of Half-Life 2, resulting in a horrid monstrosity after the citadel was blown up mid-transformation)

Anyway, one of the things revealed by breengrub was that adult Shuulathoi can chose whatever form they want. Combine this with another breengrub revelation that the Shuulathoi themselves were victims of the combine, and you can see now why a lot of fans theorize that the G-Man is a fully matured member of that race - which explains why he seemingly is motivated by a desire to take down the Combine.

However, the fact that the Combine were able to enslave the entire Shuulathoi race, implies they are far stronger than an entire population of adult Shuulathoi. Which explains why they were able to capture G-Man and keep him in containment in Half-Life: Alyx.
I don't remember where, but I saw in YouTube a theory that the G-Man is actually from the same race as the Nihilanth. Don't know how that makes sense, but I thought it was interesting.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

I knew about that, but that's a good theory. Fits in nicely. Who knows what they'll actually do going forward though, given this.

I'm still baffled at this ending.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So it is basically season two (three?) of The Flash?

HL2 is the original timeline where JD's Brother went back in time and framed Barry's dad for shanking his mom. Then Barry went back in time to prevent JD's Brother from doing it and started a new timeline. And THEN they went back in time and let him do it to start a third?

Except it is Gordon, Alyx, and then probably Shephard or Barney.
This is only left me more confused

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Since the thread is labeled "SPOILER" do we really need to use spoiler tags?

Something feels kind of weird and not right about resurrecting a character whose voice actor has died, after he gave a pretty memorable and iconic performance. They should have just left things as they were. Retconning the end of HL2 is also kinda cheap. I do like the twist that Alyx is now stuck being "employed" by the G-Man's organization.

I knew his voice was strange... didn't knew the actor actually died :(

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thank fuck they didn't go with Epistle 3 stuff.

I posted this on reddit back when Epistle 3 came out and got some sweet gold. It still sums up my reaction to Laidlaw's plot and its brilliance:

reddit said:
I should just post my thoughts on the ending now before this thread gets out of control. In short, I LOVE IT!

Episode 3, as it is written here, would have perfectly ended the series and Laidlaw absolutely captures the general theme of the games. The central one being that the universe is simply too vast and complex for any one little human to understand. Everything about this final episode is building you towards this eventual revelation. It starts as your bog standard story as all the characters attempt to obtain the magical MacGuffin that will solve all their problems and allow them to finally beat the Combine.

However, once they board the Borealis they realize just how little they understand the science of what the original research team was tapping into. They witness time itself unfolding and refolding. The past, the present, and the future all laid bare before them as they travel across vast distances in space, in an instant and an eternity, until they are stretched to encompass all the space in between. This is but their first glimpse into the reality that awaits them. After Alex decides to shoot Judith Mossman and use the Borealis to blow up the Combine base, the reality of our situation is laid bare before the player.

The G-Man shows up, but this time it isn't to save us, it's to take Alex away. In fact, he doesn't even speak to us. We aren't even worth a thought to him. And, we as the player begin to learn the truth, we were never special. There was nothing unique about us that the G-Man needed or saw within us, we were nothing more than a disposable pawn, to be discarded and forgotten about based on his whims. The G-Man, much like the universe, is cold and uncaring. He takes Alex with him and they move on, without you.

Finally, we pilot the ship to detonate inside the Combine Base only to have the final truth revealed to us. Our efforts have always been futile, the Combine are so powerful and their reach so vast that it is beyond our comprehension. They control worlds beyond worlds we've ever dreamed of, their tentacle reach exists in dimensions we never knew existed, their web is as vast as the arm of a galaxy. And, our last ditch suicidal effort won't even register as a spark in the grand scheme of their plans.

And then, the player is yanked back to their world. Earth. When? Who knows? Did we win the war? Does it matter? The player has the truth of the universe opened to them at the brink of death and then pulled away. The universe and everything that goes on within it is beyond our comprehension. Our efforts, our friends, our losses all seem minuscule and pointless in the grand scheme of things. We were just a child trying to grasp at concepts beyond our reach; smashing our hands at perceived obstacles in our path.

And, that is exactly how the series started. When we pushed that element into the beam back in Black Mesa untold horrors beyond our comprehension were unleashed. We had no explanation about what they were, what they wanted, or why they did what they did. It all seemed chaotic. The only thing we could try to do was survive and attempt to close this portal into the incomprehensible madness. By the end, we fought some alien god only to be pulled through time and space by the mysterious figure who seemed interested in us the whole game. The game started with confusion and ended without any questions resolved, only more chaos.

HL2 attempted to lull us into a fall sense of security about everything and our purpose. Our enemy now had a name, The Combine. They had an objective, the conquering of our world. They even had a sort of order/hierarchy. These are concepts that made sense to our human mind, and an enemy we knew how to fight. It's War of the Worlds, or rather World War II with aliens. Right until the ending of Episode 2...

This Episode 3 ending caps off the theme of Half-Life by bringing us back to the original. There is no structure, no comprehension, you were never meant to understand the Combine or the universe for that matter. The only solace you can gain is that you saw the truth of the futility of your struggle, whereas others would never learn the reality of the situation.

You the player are not special and you can never understand the reality of the universe you exist within. The only real victory is to hopefully stall the eventual take over by the Combine and allow your friends and loved ones to live out the time they have left in blissful ignorance.

"Did the lungfish refuse to breathe air? It did not. It crept forth boldly while its brethren remained in the blackest ocean abyss, with lidless eyes forever staring at the dark, ignorant and doomed despite their eternal vigilance." Dr. Breen summed up the Resistance pretty well, he understood the true might of the Combine and the Universe.

Now, some have said that this ending is "too edgy" appealing only to teenage nihilists. I disagree, I think it's classic Sci-Fi and works quite well with the overall story, themes, and tone of Half-Life. The game has always attempted to show you just how little you as a human can comprehend about what is going on. As I said, the first game ends with the G-Man teleporting your around dimensions before offering you a "choice" to come with him on a magic tram car. And, then the next game you wake up some decade or so later on a tram car without even the courtesy to explain how or why you were brought to this point. If you wanted "solid" answers to questions within the HL universe, such as what is the G-Man? Then you've been playing the wrong series. You were never meant to understand things like that and explaining them would ruin the themes of the series.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's beautifully presented and that's from watching a VR games on youtube, losing pretty much 90% of the intended atmosphere, that said I don't really like the retcon. Maybe i'm just tired of retcons recently but it feels cheap to me.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's beautifully presented and that's from watching a VR games on youtube, losing pretty much 90% of the intended atmosphere, that said I don't really like the retcon. Maybe i'm just tired of retcons recently but it feels cheap to me.

It is cheap. It's hard to spin as a positive. It appears like there was intent in setup for a potential future of the franchise, but any competent author will generally try to shy away from the two cardinal sins of writing evident here; retoconning an iconic and dramatic story beat for no justifiable reason, and using time travel magic to do it. It's as if the writers were more concerned about having a twist of some sort that would make for a memorable climax, irrespective of how reasonable it was, and using G-MAN science magic in whatever way, rather than writing something coherently fixed in with established tone and events.

But that often happens when you have new writers put in charge of a franchise. It's hard in this situation because I know Laidlaw advised, and I don't doubt that veteran Valve writers also played a role in the whole thing. Hell, the idea might have come from Laidlaw himself, post unravelling of Episode 3 plans. Nevertheless, it's pretty awful and it's a good way to sour an audience for no reason. I mean, even if you strip away the time travel and whatnot, to sit down and think "maybe we undo Episode 2's ending and Eli lives for some reason" is a pretty stupid narrative beat that shouldn't have made it past early conceptualisation.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda hoping they dont answer who the G-Man is or who his "employers" have been this whole time. Like whatever it is, its gon be way less interesting when they have to put a tangible reason why he can travel through time and space and multiple dimensions.

Great Mike Shapiro performance, tho. Its so crazy to get new, weird G-Man content in 2020.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda hoping they dont answer who the G-Man is or who his "employers" have been this whole time. Like whatever it is, its gon be way less interesting when they have to put a tangible reason why he can travel through time and space and multiple dimensions.

Great Mike Shapiro performance, tho. Its so crazy to get new, weird G-Man content in 2020.
Whoever G-Man was supposed to be or whoever his employers were supposed to be, I don't think that mystery really matters anymore. They're just making shit up as they go along.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
So Valve erased the gut punch the audience have sat with for over a decade?

Like others have said, the presentation is great. The import is worrisome. Time travel in fiction, especially to resurrect, is very overplayed. But I enjoy the idea of Alyx entering employment for the G-Man and his organization. I only wish they had considered a different deal for Alyx to make to seal the contract. This just feels weird and unwanted.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Retcon feels a bit icky, but is worth it if they're able to tell a good story in Half-Life 3.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
am I missing something or did they make a dramatic moment out of handing the main character a crowbar like it's a lightsaber or some shit?

I haven't played or seen it i'm just curious if it feels corny or is just matter of fact within the actual moment in the game.

I recognize that half life's crowbar is iconic in a lot of ways, but it feels like kind of a meme approach of recognizing that to have it represent one character passing a torch or whatever. cuz it's still just a crowbar.

Anyways I'm sorry again, I don't know that much about half life at all.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
am I missing something or did they make a dramatic moment out of handing the main character a crowbar like it's a lightsaber or some shit?

I haven't played or seen it i'm just curious if it feels corny or is just matter of fact within the actual moment in the game.

I recognize that half life's crowbar is iconic in a lot of ways, but it feels like kind of a meme approach of recognizing that to have it represent one character passing a torch or whatever. cuz it's still just a crowbar.

I mean like you said, you don't know about Half Life much at all and yet you still know about the crowbar. In-universe IIRC they know Gordon is handy with a crowbar from Half Life 1 and 2. Now as a player imagine you've been waiting for Half Life 3 for so damn long and FINALLY and almost unexpectedly you BECOME Gordon Freeman. The first thing you're going to want to do is pick up that damn crowbar.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I freaking loved it

Episode 2 ending was weak, imho.

Alyx dad died, but there was nothing to make you excited about what comes next.
People think fondly of it because well, it was the last thing we had in 13 years.

Nonsense, people were hype as fuck back in 2007 after finishing ep2. Nothing to do with "thinking back to it fondly".

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Alyx dad died, but there was nothing to make you excited about what comes next.
People think fondly of it because well, it was the last thing we had in 13 years.

You're entitled to your own taste but are you drunk? Nothing to make you excited? Episode 2 specifically built up Aperture Science as having developed a powerful technology of some sort, of which was lost on the Borealis, now found. An invention so important that both the resistance and the Combine were searching for it. Mossman reveals they know the location, the Combine have arrived, and Gordon and Alyx are about to leave right before Eli is killed. People were literally going mental theorising what could be on the Borealis and if Portal gameplay would wind up in Half-Life.

So now instead of the resistance in pursuit of a dangerous, mysterious technology that had long since been lost, and in neck-to-neck pursuit for the invention with the enemy, it's about saving Alyx? And that's more interesting?

Different strokes, I guess.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the ending was neat presentation-wise, though it does feel weird to erase the ending of Episode 2.

G-Man was great though. His line about "Ms. Vance, you wouldn't need all this to imprison Gordon Freeman" actually gave me chills.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're entitled to your own taste but are you drunk? Nothing to make you excited? Episode 2 specifically built up Aperture Science as having developed a powerful technology of some sort, of which was lost on the Borealis, now found. An invention so important that both the resistance and the Combine were searching for it. Mossman reveals they know the location, the Combine have arrived, and Gordon and Alyx are about to leave right before Eli is killed. People were literally going mental theorising what could be on the Borealis and if Portal gameplay would wind up in Half-Life.

So now instead of the resistance in pursuit of a dangerous, mysterious technology that had long since been lost, and in neck-to-neck pursuit for the invention with the enemy, it's about saving Alyx? And that's more interesting?

Different strokes, I guess.

I'm actually confused about the ending and am wondering what Eli meant when he said she was taken. I assumed he meant G-man took her but did he mean the Combine took her?

Because I think a Half Life 3 where we rescue Alyx from G-Man, deal with the Borealis and fight the Combine is damn interesting.

Of course Epistle 3 was great, but unfortunately we know about it now and Laidlaw isn't as heavily involved so I'm willing to give this new direction a chance.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's weird. I don't know how I feel. I'm excited because it seems to indicate more is coming. Undoing Eli's death makes me feel a bit empty, but I don't have the full game's context and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt by waiting to see how they follow things up in a possible continuation. I think my hope for HL:A was that midway through the game or so you'd pick up from HL2E2, so seeing that things haven't furthered much is also a bit of a downer. I'm going to need to chew on this plus whatever other possible implications / story beats transpire in HL:A for a while, I'm sure.

I totally get what you're getting at. Half Life 2 actually does a sort of similar thing, where a character tosses you a crowbar so you can break through the environment while he practically winks and nods at you about how you totally used a crowbar and you're good with it. HL2 Episode 1 also has that same character give you another crowbar while saying he doesn't have many more left and to not lose this one. So while it's kind of cheesy it's at least a sort of tradition for it to be cheesy. Though I'll grant, it's never been the climax of a title.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that's weird. I don't know how I feel. I'm excited because it seems to indicate more is coming. Undoing Eli's death makes me feel a bit empty, but I don't have the full game's context and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt by waiting to see how they follow things up in a possible continuation. I think my hope for HL:A was that midway through the game or so you'd pick up from HL2E2, so seeing that things haven't furthered much is also a bit of a downer. I'm going to need to chew on this plus whatever other possible implications / story beats transpire in HL:A for a while, I'm sure.

I totally get what you're getting at. Half Life 2 actually does a sort of similar thing, where a character tosses you a crowbar so you can break through the environment while he practically winks and nods at you about how you totally used a crowbar and you're good with it. HL2 Episode 1 also has that same character give you another crowbar while saying he doesn't have many more left and to not lose this one. So while it's kind of cheesy it's at least a sort of tradition for it to be cheesy. Though I'll grant, it's never been the climax of a title.
ok fair enough, if it's just like a quick moment that's a wink and a nod then it makes sense, I was envisioning like a solemn ceremony where he's handing off the crowbar reverently as though it's the strongest weapon you have. (i mean this is the game with the gravity gun and ACTUAL guns, right?)

But if it's just like "ey buddy you're gonna need to gear up" I get it.