• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This seems cool, but don't even try resolution mode on Xbox. It just looks jittery as hell when you turn.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
ended up moving on from the first dungeon with 5/8 secrets, oh well.

loving the game so far (my first dungeon crawler, the genre has always been a bit boring for me with it's static enemies and lack of...flair, but both the enemies here, and the spell effects are quite good, also it's super colorful which I love), but this comment worries me, especially since I cant tell which chests need keys, I just opened one in the woods and it used a key :/
You need items from further in the game to discover some of the secrets. On the map there should be an icon with a lock to represent a locked chest. I think the locked ones are also smaller and have a unique look for each dungeon.

Holy crap at allowing you to lose a key and hard gating progression. For such a polished experience so far it's crazy they would fuck up so blatantly.

Can you tell me where that happened without spoiling too much so I can avoid it?
Well, I am guessing there are enough keys for every locked chest but I must have missed one in the first dungeon somewhere. The problem with having items in these locked chests is that if you miss a key or keys you are either forced to go back and scour the dungeon for a key you already missed once or reload if you have a save with an extra key. This is just bad game design.

There are two dungeons with items that you need to progress in locked chests. Can't really say more than that without spoiling the game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You need items from further in the game to discover some of the secrets. On the map there should be an icon with a lock to represent a locked chest. I think the locked ones are also smaller and have a unique look for each dungeon.

Well, I am guessing there are enough keys for every locked chest but I must have missed one in the first dungeon somewhere. The problem with having items in these locked chests is that if you miss a key or keys you are either forced to go back and scour the dungeon for a key you already missed once or reload if you have a save with an extra key. This is just bad game design.

There are two dungeons with items that you need to progress in locked chests. Can't really say more than that without spoiling the game.

oh you can go back to previous dungeons? is that something you unlock?

I actually just got the
shovel
and was thinking "well I could have used this in the frist dungeon" lol

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is really damn good.

I definitely recommend playing on the hard setting that only allows you to rest with wood. Even on that setting I've only had to rest like 3 times in 7 hours of playing by managing combat and items strategically.

I imagine this would be a complete cakewalk if you could regen at a fire any time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not playing on hard and I need wood to rest (or at least it uses wood everytime I rest anyway)

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
nice! do enemies respawn or can you go back to cleared dungeons to quickly look for the remaining secrets?
They do not respawn.

I'm not playing on hard and I need wood to rest (or at least it uses wood everytime I rest anyway)
There are three difficulty options that you can choose at the beginning. An iron man mode, no automapping and less firewood/no objective markers. I am guessing he meant the last option. That is how I played as well.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah,I kept mapping and didn't do iron man. I guess you find more wood in normal mode...

Desless1

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Looked at couple of YT videos on this one today, good old dungeon crawler, liked what I saw.
Downloading via Gamepass now.

For those who had tried the puzzles, are they difficult? Or quite easy?

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
o8gKpqg.jpg

Anyone knows what's the third stat? The first on right - 10.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'm quite enjoying it. The movement takes some getting used to and I'd rather it wasn't like that as it's awkward.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying this a lot. I just beat (first area) King Brek, so not too far in. But I really like the dungeon and puzzles, and it's so beautiful. And the VA/characters are great. I really mde a snap judgment based on the footage I watched.

How do you like the names that are in Hungarian? I'm very curious how someone not Hungarian hears the names Jóska, Göncöl, Csodaszarvas and others.
It adds some nice flavor. I've never really come across names like that before.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying this a lot. I just beat (first area) King Brek, so not too far in. But I really like the dungeon and puzzles, and it's so beautiful. And the VA/characters are great. I really mde a snap judgment based on the footage I watched.

It adds some nice flavor. I've never really come across names like that before.

Thanks. Brek is also the onomatopoeia for the sound frogs make in Hungarian :)

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
FRAPS doesn't display the frame rate for me with Microsoft Store games. What, if any, is a good program to use that jives with the Microsoft Store?

I'm trying to compare my PC's performance at 4K versus the Xbox One X.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Doesn't look as good as Legend of Grimrock in the screenshots, even kinda cheap in comparison, but I give it a try. Maybe I'm wrong.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Didn't think this game was for me after the intro and the mental controls after playing the intro.

Stuck with it and played half way through the first dungeon, levelling my guys to lvl 3 but I'm well stuck.

Need to go something with a hanging bear, Fox, mouse. Lost.....

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
unlocked a 5th character, the vendor, backtracking, more abilities to open paths, so yeah, I continue to adore this, wow. Great level variety so far too.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't think this game was for me after the intro and the mental controls after playing the intro.

Stuck with it and played half way through the first dungeon, levelling my guys to lvl 3 but I'm well stuck.

Once you get to the top where there's some levers you need to get all the animals to the last row to open the doors to proceed.

Just unlocked the forth character and caldron which was a little convoluted in its explanation. Having fun, controls really could have done with being better but I like the turn based battle system.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
First dungeon secrets question:

I've got 5/8 secrets, 99% map, and the copper crown. I've found a statue that's missing a head, but no head to put on it. What am I missing? I've scoured the dungeon all over twice, and the only suspicious thing is a spot where I moved a door to cover a space in the wine cellar, but I don't see a way to undo that.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
First dungeon secrets question:

I've got 5/8 secrets, 99% map, and the copper crown. I've found a statue that's missing a head, but no head to put on it. What am I missing? I've scoured the dungeon all over twice, and the only suspicious thing is a spot where I moved a door to cover a space in the wine cellar, but I don't see a way to undo that.

you can go back later with new items to discover new secrets

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone post a screencap of the first map to compare with my drawings? I'm playing without map and I'm sure that I missed a lot of stuff lol

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Torches.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know it was Play Anywhere so it's game pass on PC too. Neat. Now I can play the PC version after all.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I initially downloaded the gamepass version on PC, but after finding that that version offers no resolution options, I decided to just buy it on EGS. No idea why it's like that, but I've never gotten a game from the Windows store before, so maybe that's common.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah same. It didn't click for me during the intro (the outside area) but as soon as I got into the dungeon and started making a character it grabbed me.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I initially downloaded the gamepass version on PC, but after finding that that version offers no resolution options, I decided to just buy it on EGS. No idea why it's like that, but I've never gotten a game from the Windows store before, so maybe that's common.

UWP's are the worst.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The movement is weird, wish it wasn't like that

Is there somewhere I can go to redo tutorials or read how everything works again?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
The movement is weird, wish it wasn't like that

Is there somewhere I can go to redo tutorials or read how everything works again?

As someone mentionned earlier,on consoles anyway,you can hit the R and L bumper to turn,which helps not get that drifting feeling.Good tip and I prefer that method now.

Can you actually find the 9 ladies in the first dungeon run without having to come back...? I only found 6/9...just a yes or no please.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
First area (tutorial) is kind of odd, but once you actually start the game its pretty good. Does anybody know how long this game is?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I find the gamepad controls really weird. Even with quick turn, it doesn't feel great. If I'm using direction locking, I'd prefer that to be on the dpad. On the other hand, with kb/m, I find myself not using quick turn, because it's fairly natural to move with wasd and looking around with the mouse, even if your movement is locked to the grid. It makes it pretty easy to scan for interactables while moving at the same time.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this so far but:

Is there just no resting at all in Tomb of Reka? I've used up all of my resources to get to the end, put in the three gears, and opened the gates. Then the 4 skeletons come to life, and I just have nothing left, I'm running on fumes at this point. I enjoy a grueling endurance test dungeon as much as the next guy, but I feel like I've missed something here?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying this so far but:

Is there just no resting at all in Tomb of Reka? I've used up all of my resources to get to the end, put in the three gears, and opened the gates. Then the 4 skeletons come to life, and I just have nothing left, I'm running on fumes at this point. I enjoy a grueling endurance test dungeon as much as the next guy, but I feel like I've missed something here?

How many times did you rest? I think I rested one time going through that. Every time you level up your characters get their health and mana refueled.

You shouldn't use up a lot of mana during fights, the majority should be regular attacks. Also, using the guard command in a fight recovers some mana.

A good strategy is get the opponents down to 1 left then have all your characters guard to recover mana.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I had like 16 firewood or something going into the Reka boss fight, don't rest so much.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
As someone mentionned earlier,on consoles anyway,you can hit the R and L bumper to turn,which helps not get that drifting feeling.Good tip and I prefer that method now.

Can you actually find the 9 ladies in the first dungeon run without having to come back...? I only found 6/9...just a yes or no please.

yes its part of the main story

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the game quite a bit, love getting to try out games like this on gamepass. I think I'll try to actually complete this one.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there good controller support on the PC version? I'm thinking of getting gamepass for this on the PC (it's free for the first 14 day trial) as I don't own an Xbox.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Currently stuck at one of the Deva Fortress puzzles. Any solutions/ideas?
Ts7e8Fm.png

Don't know if you've figured it out since then, but

There's a journal entry outside, just left of the gate

Telling you that the 3 images are actually one

So you should put the weight on the one stone that you wouldn't reach otherwise then step on the other ones around the merged image

Falconhoof

Oct 30, 2017
Don't know if you've figured it out since then, but

There's a journal entry outside, just left of the gate

Telling you that the 3 images are actually one

So you should put the weight on the one stone that you wouldn't reach otherwise then step on the other ones around the merged image

I'm stuck on this puzzle too.

I've read the journal outside but I still have no idea how to solve it. What do you mean by the one stone you wouldn't reach? Do you have to step on them in order? I wanted to play this over the weekend but this puzzle stopped my progress stone dead yesterday morning.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck on this puzzle too.

I've read the journal outside but I still have no idea how to solve it. What do you mean by the one stone you wouldn't reach? Do you have to step on them in order? I wanted to play this over the weekend but this puzzle stopped my progress stone dead yesterday morning.
I think that is the one where you step on all the tiles that aren't colored or the ones that are (don't remember which) in the three images. So just imagine that the images overlap. There will be one tile on the left side I believe where you couldn't go because you would triggering tiles you should not step on. Put the weight there reset the puzzle and step on all the other tiles.