• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: this is a thread by Dance Inferno backed by the Adopt-a-user program.

I've spent this year playing a combination of 2016 and 2017 games, and as I begin putting together my GOTY list I'm realizing that most of the games I want to put at the top of my list are actually games that came out in 2016. Let's run through them quickly, shall we?

Best single-player FPS I played this year: DOOM
header.jpg

I finished Wolfenstein 2 earlier this week and was completely unimpressed with its gameplay. BJ is incredibly fragile, it's hard to tell when you're taking damage until you're dead, and levels are mostly just a bunch of destroyed steel corridors. I started re-playing DOOM again afterwards and I had forgotten how pitch perfect the combat in DOOM is. Hectic, fast-paced, punchy, and with a litany of options to help you manage the battlefield. Double jumps to get out of danger, an arsenal of weapons that are useful for a variety of situations, glory kills help you regain health, chainsaw kills help you regain armor, and most enemies fire projectiles, allowing you dodge and weave to avoid damage. No shooter in 2017 has made my heart beat as much as DOOM.

Best multiplayer FPS I played this year: Battlefield 1
Battlefield1List-460x215.jpg

I tried a few shooters in 2017 (mostly Destiny 2, as well as the Battlefront 2 and COD WWII open betas), but nothing comes close to the scale and cinematic experience that is Battlefield 1. Zeppelins crashing overhead, tanks rumbling across wide open plains, 32 soldiers rushing up a hill towards you with bayonets drawn... No other multiplayer shooter captures the scale of war like Battlefield 1.

Best immersive sim / stealth game I played this year: Dishonored 2
header.jpg

Dishonored 2 is officially my most-played game on Steam. I'm on my fourth playthrough of this, and it will be only the second ever game I 100%'ed. The amount of replayability in this game is crazy: I did a loud lethal playthrough, a pacifist ghost playthrough, a no-powers playthrough, and I'm currently doing a stealth assassin playthrough. You can play this game over and over and over again and continue to find new ways of approaching missions and levels. The depth and richness of the world never gets old, and the gameplay improves upon most stealth games in myriad ways.

Best open-world RPG I played this year: Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
header.jpg

Step aside Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3 is still the best open-world RPG I've ever played. Blood and Wine wasn't as good as the base game, but it still had an infinitely more interesting universe, plot, and side quests than BotW. The world is so well realized that I didn't want to stop playing. Meanwhile, I struggle to play BotW for long periods of time given how throwaway the plot and writing is, and it struggles to make me emotionally invested in its world.

Best strategy game I played this year: XCOM 2
header.jpg

Granted I don't think 2017 has been a banner year for strategy games, but XCOM 2 is such a fantastic game that I haven't seen topped this year. I dropped 20 hours into this game over a weekend without even realizing it; it's so good at what it does and the emergent storylines that develop as you play through a campaign are unrivaled. I know this game had an expansion in 2017 but I haven't picked it up yet as I'm still thoroughly enjoying the base game.

Best narrative / walking simulator I played this year: Abzu
header.jpg

What Remains of Edith Finch comes very close, but Abzu took my breath away. I played the entirety of this game in one sitting on a Saturday night with the lights turned off, and it transported me to a magical world with amazing visuals and music that I did not want to leave. Yes there isn't much "gameplay" per se, but the emotional and sensory experience it puts you through is unrivaled in 2017.

There are a number of other games I haven't even listed here (Dark Souls III, Hitman, The Witness, Inside), but suffice it to say that I'm finding myself more thoroughly impressed with 2016's game output than 2017.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough Titanfall 2 love, still my favourite FPS this gen (closely followed by Doom)

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
For me, 2017 is head and shoulders above 2016, and I really loved 2016!

It comes down to stronger 3rd party games like Nier Automata, a few solid Sony exclusives like Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn, and of course, Nintendo finally putting out major titles.

As for Xbox...well it hasn't been great BUT the Xbox One X looks like a neat bit of hardware. So yeah, 2017 rocks ba-by!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
2016 was a great year for FPS, but imo that was the big standout for the year. 2017 has had a better spread of reputation while being especially great for RPG fans.

MWorldII

Oct 25, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
This year i still didn't get my personal THE game of the year (last year was The Last Guardian, because my feelings), but overall 2017 was better: Resident Evil 7, NieR, Horizon, Breath of the Wild, two Yakuza games, Persona 5, Prey, Sonic Mania, Hellblade, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC Origins and many many more.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It was a solid year for sure. DOOM, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Dark Souls 3, The Witness, Inside, Quantum Break, Gears of War 4, and The Last Guardian.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I did. Enjoyed the first half thoroughly, thought the second half was repetitive with tons of boring backtracking.
I disagree, the newer enemy types made things rather interesting in the second half. Maybe I am bad at resource management, but the fact I was for a long time on a rather short ammo supply also made it interesting to find alternative ways to deal with threats. So that didn't bother me, you could also control this somewhat by not doing optional stuff, if it bothered you.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I agree OP on DOOM, Battlefield 1 and Witcher 3 (My GOTG) But see, back in 16 you can decide which game goes on top but in 17 oh no no, its confusing to put which game on top of the list.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
This year i still didn't get my personal THE game of the year (last year was The Last Guardian, because my feelings), but overall 2017 was better: Resident Evil 7, NieR, Horizon, Breath of the Wild, two Yakuza games, Persona 5, Prey, Sonic Mania, Hellblade, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC Origins and many many more.

I think what it comes down to for me is that 2016 had a handful of GREAT games, whereas 2017 has a lot of good games. I look at the 2016 games more fondly than I do the 2017 games I played.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I did. Enjoyed the first half thoroughly, thought the second half was repetitive with tons of boring backtracking.

Fair enough. I was personally fascinated with the design and layout of Talos I and traversal was very easy and fun so I rather enjoyed all of the backtracking.

For open world RPG's released in 2017 I can highly recommend ELEX and Divinity: Original Sin 2. ELEX is a spiritual successor to the Gothic games and implements many of the same gameplay elements found there. Divinity: Original Sin 2 on the other hand probably features the best combat system in any RPG.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 8t was pretty good at least for me, but I still think I enjoyed 2017 more.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Change 2016 into 2015 and I'd agree. Bloodborne, Undertale, MGS:V, Ori, Life us Strange and The Witcher 3 all in the same year.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM is one of my favorites of the gen so I'm with you there, and Dishonored 2/XCOM 2 are also great, but other than that the year was a bit mediocre.

Nintendo's contributions in 2017 tip the scales to make it the superior year imo.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the games on that list, I'm only really a fan of Doom and Blood & Wine.

This year's brought us Horizon Zero Dawn, Neir: Automata, Persona 5, RE: 7, Nioh, Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, Destiny 2, Splatoon 2, PUBG, Hellblade, Sonic Mania, Mario + Rabbids, Prey, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC: Origins, Cuphead, Divinity: Original Sin II, etc...

Considering you're talking about just now playing some of those 2016 releases this year, maybe you're just behind, and then next year you'll find that you like 2017's titles more than 2018's?

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
This year on the PS4 alone has been very strong and then you look at the Switch which has 2 of the highest rated games of all time and the PC which has DOS2. Having said that I haven't played anything from 2017 that I enjoyed as much as Titanfall 2 and Blood and Wine.

Sea

Oct 27, 2017
pennsylvania
I liked the indie and 3ds games of 2016, but aside from a few titles (doom, hitman, dishonored) it was a pretty boring year to me.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
None of the games listed seem interesting to me. 2017 had way more variety. There's something for everyone, no matter which genre you like or what system you play on.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
A pretty bold claim to make. Mind you in some examples, you do have a fair point. As a whole though, 2017 definitely has supplied us with a grand amount of games that has definitely stood out as easy GOTY contenders from the start of the year all the way to the here and now.

Still, I'm glad that we had some great years both this and last and not something to which we could easily pick. Definitely can't wait to see how well 2018 fares.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting premise but I feel the bar has been raised in 2017. Maybe not in the amount of absolute stand out titles, but sheer quantity of quality games this feels way higher than previous years at every level.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Out of the games on that list, I'm only really a fan of Doom and Blood & Wine.

This year's brought us Horizon Zero Dawn, Neir: Automata, Persona 5, RE: 7, Nioh, Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, Destiny 2, Splatoon 2, PUBG, Hellblade, Sonic Mania, Mario + Rabbids, Prey, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC: Origins, Cuphead, Divinity: Original Sin II, etc...

Considering you're talking about just now playing some of those 2016 releases this year, maybe you're just behind, and then next year you'll find that you like 2017's titles more than 2018's?

I've played all the 2017 games that I'm interested in playing (RE7, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Destiny 2, Wolfenstein 2). I'm not into JRPGs so a lot of the games on your list don't do much for me. The only 2017 games that I'm interested in and haven't played yet are Horizon (don't own a PS4, but I doubt it will exceed Witcher 3), and Cuphead/Divinity OS2 on PC. But I'm not the biggest fan of shoot-em-ups or isometric RPGs so again, I doubt they will change my mind.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's a strong list but I don't think it threatens 2017. Tekken 7, Mario, Zelda, Nier, Yakuza 0 Persona 5, Horizon... It's just too strong.

Solid Rooster

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know man. With: Zelda, Nier, Persona, Mario, Yakuza, I have to disagree.

Even if you don't like Nintendo or Japanese games, you still got Horizon and Prey, so you're pretty much got everything you need from this year alone.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel like you're missing out on the Japanese heavy hitters that have been coming out lately (judging by the fact that you posted only western games). Games like Yakuza, Nier and Persona put to shame basically anything that came out last year and you not playing those means that you are missing on not only some of the best games of the year, but also some of the best games of all time. Avoiding something like Yakuza cus you're not interested in Jrpgs makes absolutely no sense.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I got a new Mutant League, Zelda and Mario. I mean everything else like Divinity 2 was icing on the cake, think this year wins.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No! Absolutely not.

2017 has been incredible.

- Horizon
- Zelda
- Mario
- Yakuza 0

That alone makes it.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This year and last have certainly given us the best soundtracks of this generation in the form of Doom and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst from last year, and Persona 5 and NieR: Automata from this one.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about BoTW because of it's story is missing the point, since it was never supposed to be a story centric game in the first place. Now if that's not what you're looking for, that's fine. But complaining about a game because it's priorities are different than yours is and always has been kind of dumb

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough Titanfall 2 love, still my favourite FPS this gen (closely followed by Doom)

Absolutely loved it definitely my favorite FPS of last year.

Anyways I can't say I'll agree with that opinion but ven though 2016 had some really great games. I think 2017 had a larger quantity and quality of games while also having some gems that the public may overlook but are as good or even better than the mainstream ones. Divinity Original Sin 2 is a perfect example of one such game. Elex might be another one too.

Personally best from this year for me would be....

Splatoon 2
Rabbids + Mario
Divinity OS2
Horizon
Yakuza
Nioh
Nier Automata

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'd say 2017 ultimately wins by having a larger number of quality titles, but the highs in 2016 may be higher for me. I'd put The Witness, INSIDE and The Last Guardian above anything I've played this year.

Deleted member 10293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom was great, BaW was pretty great as well but that's pretty much it off of your list

2017 has surprisingly been extremely strong and seems to have a few more bombshells to drop before the end of the year

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It had several amazing games, but 2017 still takes the cake for me between the two. This year gave me Nier, Wolfenstein 2, Mario Odyssey, and Horizon. Tough year to beat, but I'm just glad that we've had several consecutive amazing years for gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree with that. Even in the FPS genre/immersive sims there have been things that have at least come close to Doom/Dishonored 2 or were better than both. (Prey > Dishonored 2, for instance).

Also, What Remains of Edith Finch is a far more impactful game than Abzu (this coming from someone that loved both)

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I liked Titanfall 2, and loved Stellaris (my GOTY), but there wasn't much else that I was interested in. At least it was an opportunity to catch up on games from the previous years...

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Doom was fantastic and the rest are good but honestly, the Switch alone has made this year so much better. The Switch is one of the few systems that makes it in and of itself fun to play and has me gaming so much more after I thought I would need to take a break from gaming because I wasn't enjoying it as much I used to (and of course Zelda and Mario help). On top of that, there's just been so many quality games to come out that it's been hard to keep up.
2016 was great but 2017 has been just downright fantastic.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I respectfully disagree. 2016 was a great, but 2017 is "once every ten years" kind of year for gaming.