• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
2016 had HITMAN, SUPERHOT and DOOM, so it did really well in the ALL CAPS GOTY stakes.

But then 2017 has PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, so it basically wins on the spot, sorry.

(2015 had METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN, MASSIVE CHALICE and 0RBITALIS... damn, this gives me an idea for a thread)

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2016 was great but so is 2017. By default, my 2016 game of the year was/is Tom Clancy's The Division simply because I didn't enjoy any other game as much as I did with The Division and this is coming from someone who played the entire game as a solo lone wolf. Forza Horizon 3 would be the only game that could challenge it but I haven't completed the game yet. FPS wise, it was a great year. Titanfall 2 was the best in my opinion followed by Battlefield 1, COD:IW and Doom. Also had Gears of War 4 and Uncharted 4 which were great and an excellent game in Far Cry Primal which I think is underrated. Dying Light was also pretty good.

2017 though has given me two games that I rated 9.5/10 (none in 2016) with Horizon and Uncharted The Lost Legacy. Add in Assassin's Creed Origins which will most likely hit my 9 rating scale and I haven't bought a Switch yet so I can't comment on Zelda but im expecting an excellent game. Add in Horizon's DLC and it could be a game/expansion sweep for Horizon.

So while 2016 was great for me, 2017 has been greater and 2018 could end up being the greatest year for this gen. What an awesome time for gaming!!! :)

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
2016 had HITMAN, SUPERHOT and DOOM, so it did really well in the ALL CAPS GOTY stakes.

But then 2017 has PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, so it basically wins on the spot, sorry.

2016 had Overwatch tho

like I get it, PUBG is the new hot thing but you can't just ignore the sauce levels of Overwatch like that

--

2017 has been bigger for me in terms of smaller scale titles, and the fact that Arkane has proved once again that theyare the best developer in the business and you people will be ashamed of your words and deeds once they're forced to do lame ass GAAS games

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna have to disagree hard.

2017 has been legendary. I was highly disappointed by the output of 2016.

Zelda, Persona, Nier, Divinity, Horizon, and hollow knight alone make it the better year. And even then I'm missing a ton of great ones.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Both are very good years. I'm still not totally sure how I feel of each over the other yet. 2016 was a great year of gaming for me and so was this one. If Breath of the Wild hadn't been delayed I think it would've been a much closer comparison because the one thing I would say is that Nintendo's lineup on consoles was obviously thinner than this year's.

3DS put up a really respectable fight though. Planet Robobot and Sun and Moon were brilliant.

I feel like you're missing out on the Japanese heavy hitters that have been coming out lately (judging by the fact that you posted only western games). Games like Yakuza, Nier and Persona put to shame basically anything that came out last year and you not playing those means that you are missing on not only some of the best games of the year, but also some of the best games of all time. Avoiding something like Yakuza cus you're not interested in Jrpgs makes absolutely no sense.

I mean. Persona 5 and Yakuza 6 and Kiwami came out in Japan in 2016.

Last edited:

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can all agree starting with 2015 it's just been a deluge of amazing games almost every month.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about which year is the best yet.

Last year I enjoyed Uncharted 4, Overwatch, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, Stardew Valley, HITMAN, Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2, and The Witness.

This year I've really enjoyed Persona 5, BOTW, Horizon and Wolfenstein. I guess if anything, I've played more stuff from 2016. I suppose I'd be more ready to judge the comparison in a year or two when I've gotten through more games.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2016 was the year where I had almost zero interest in playing games, even though there were few games that had my attention. But I ended up playing only The Witcher 3 expansion, which was great btw.
In 2017 my gaming passion seems to be revived somehow, aside from the great Nintendo games there is Wolf2, Prey and PUBG. So for me, 2017 is far far ahead of 2016.

Aquinos

Oct 27, 2017
The Xcom 2 expansion came out this year which was really great and a clear improvement over the base game.

The thing that sticks out in my mind about 2017 is the sheer amount of really great games. That's why I'd pick it over 2016 personally.

Oct 25, 2017
XCOM 2 got an expansion that makes the game even better.
Prey is a better immersive sim then Dishonord 2 + Death of the Outsider
Divinity Original Sin 2 is among the best RPGs of all time
Zelda + Mario
Battlefield 1 was a huge bummer for me and I love the Battlefield franchise
I will give you DOOM tho

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you're an FPS fan than yeah that makes sense.

But nope, not in my book. 2016 isn't even close to 2017 for me:

Nier Automata
Undertale
Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2

Smaller Games I loved:
Golf Story
Disgaea 5
Chaos; Child

Hell even the more disappointing games I had this year were still somewhat enjoyable:
Persona 5
Danganronpa V3

And I still need to play stuff like Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. This year has so much over 2016 it's crazy.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. 2017 had some really fantastic games

- Nier Automata
- Persona 5
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- BOTW
- SMO

And a whole bunch of other great games. 2018 is looking to be really awesome with KH3 and Red Dead Redemption and other games

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
2015 onward has been amazing for gaming and 2018 already looks stacked. This year, however, has just been too good. Every week there is at least one worthwhile release and sometimes there is more.There is something for everyone this year.

I truly think we are in golden age right now despite some shady stuff like micro-transactions happening. The quantity and quality of games is high enough to cancel that out. In 10 years we will look back at these few years with misty eyes. .

Last edited:

SebTheCat

Oct 27, 2017
2016 was great but 2017 has blown it out the water. By far my favourite ever year for games.

Nier alone makes 2017 worth it. And then Persona, Horizon, Wolfenstein, Crash came along too.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
2 self-countering points:

-The year is ONLY 5/6th OVER

-Abzu is an absolutely phenomenal game. I think it kind of got shelved into "it's Journey but underwater," which in a reductionist sense is true. But it is really special imo.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Doom, Overwatch, FFXV, SFV...lots of stuff released that I enjoyed a lot in 2016.

2017 is just bananas, though. New content for 2016's aces, and then Zelda, Mario, PUBG, Horizon, the Switch itself? AND the year's not even over? I can only adequately convey how intense that is with a Vince McMahon excitement GIF edit.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
FPS we've got Wolf 2
Immersive Sim we've got Prey
RPG we've got Persona 5
Strategy we have Mario x Rabbids

Every game is better than the ones in the OP, imo.

But cool op

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
2016 has a special place in my heart since it introduced me to Overwatch and it's been my obsession since May of last year, but 2017 is better.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2016 was good, but I don't agree. 2017 was insane and probably the best year of gaming in a long time.

P5, NieR: Automata, Horizon, Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, Zelda, Mario, and many more. There's just too many standouts here.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opinion:

Whether 2016 or 2017 is more your flavor, it is a GOOD time to be a gamer.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
2016 was solid but...

2017 has been the best in many years. If you owned a Switch and PS4. Zelda BOTW and Horizon Zero Dawn were the best games so far this generation. Those 2 games set the new standards for open world RPG's. Add to this Mario Odyssey, Nier, Persona 5 and we've been spoiled this year.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
As a Nintendo/PC guy, 2017 has been miles ahead of 2016 for me.

2016 was one of the worst years ever to be a Nintendo fan:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Pokkén Tournament
Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Paper Mario: Color Splash

The only great, non-remaster was Kirby: Planet Robobot.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lot of good games in 2016, but 2017 is just that much better.

Prey alone carried this year for me without the onslaught of other titles.

Cbrun44

Looking back 2016 was pretty good but nowhere near 2017.

This year has quite a few games that would have been game of the year for me last year. Mario, BotW, Horizon ZD, Nier, Yakuza 0, Persona 5 just off the top of my head. Let alone stuff like Cup Head or Golf Story.

This year was damn amazing.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yakuza 0 is an awesome game. Everyone should play it.

maxresdefault.jpg
I agree everyone go and play this. It's wild that 0 would have been easily my favorite of 2016 aside from The Last Guardian probably. That's how strong this year has been since the beginning, 0 is on the latter half of a top 10 at this point and it was amazing. Odyssey on its own makes 2017 untouchable.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's #1 Horizon and #2 Yakuza 0 for me. I don't own a Switch (yet). But any year with two Games of All Time has to win.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this year also have a dishonored stand-alone experience, Prey (which is supposedly similar, and a lot of XCOM-likes? Mario and Rabbids is very good and there's the XCOM expansion as well.

At least games wise, 2017 has been completely stellar while I don't think I'll remember 2016 fondly

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an opinion all right, one I disagree with a lot, and I think you will be in a very small minority...that's ok.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Gravity Rush 2
Hellblade
Horizon Zero Dawn

2016/2017 doesn't seem like much of a contest to me. But what isn't debatable is that 2017 is a year that really pushed females as the lead character

Yjynx

Alt-Account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah Op, 2017 going to be Remembered in many years from now on.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
2016 was great with TLG, FF XV, and Digimon Story. But 2017 is on another level, mainly because not only the offerings on PC/PS/Xbox still strong, Nintendo also deliver this time.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
I still haven't got round to playing all the 2016 games I want to play, let alone all the 2017 games.

2016 was definitely no slouch.