• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Lately, I've been replaying the Devil May Cry series, in anticipation (hopefully) of DMC 5 being present at E3. Among its many qualities, I had almost forgotten how delightfully enjoyable its main character is. Dante's design was quite inspired from the beginning, but later games provided him with a very charming personality, up to the point of turning every scene or interaction where he plays a role into an entertaining piece. Somehow, in its playful nature and simple ways, he comes to represent the most refined version of what Japanese developers have been doing for decades: creating characters so fun to engage with, so extravagant and at times ridiculous, that in the end, they are all the better for it.

The most impressive detail, I started to think, is that Dante is not a rare exception for, in this case, the company behind his series. There are not only other examples of cool, very gamey heroes or villains in Devil May Cry. Capcom's output is filled since the 80's with characters that represent video games in a way that no other studio has achieved. Many companies have icons: some are more serious or realistic, portrayed like film characters with complex narrative archs; others are familiar and simple, figures both loved by children and adults. But developers working at Capcom seemed to have created characters from another mindset. Street Fighter II is a classic representation of this model: every single character in the game looks exciting and unique. In time, as the roster kept expanding, we got to play with new designs that felt in tune with the original creations and became inmediate fan-favourites. We might not appreciate it, but it's really hard to achieve this level of success.

From Ryu to Leon, Megaman in any of his versions or the young Frank West, Chris Redfield and Ada Wong, Samanosuke or Wesker, Sissel or Phoenix Wright, Asura and Sir Arthur... Whatever they produce or publish (as long as it comes from their Japanese branch), it's a guarantee of stylish presentation, only possible in the form of video games. Do you feel there's any company on their level in this regard? And if so, which are your favourite characters designed by them?

PS: To Mr. Langdon, thank you for your work, let's hope to hear your voice soon.

My work here is done.
giphy.gif

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
- you can't beat Square Enix. They make some of the dumbest but also some of the best
latest
latest

KST2Jnl.jpg

03ac4016469d87a225ac99090f01e9e5.png
- Nintendo's Squid Research Lab - every single Splatoon character is fucking dope and original
splatoon_conceptart_XETKj.jpg

splatoon_conceptart_q89ou.jpg
- Cygames also excels at this.
2751438-3040040000_01.png

latest

bedc4c5ebc0993be375b285f0fc1ed3b.png

rinshibuya_b.png

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
SNK character designs for me. I'm much more fond of the modern contemporary aesthetic look of their fighting games over what Capcom does. Every individual design can speak more on the type of character they can be. Honestly, Sakura is the only Capcom character that even comes close.

I mean, Capcom is still jacking their designs to this day (to add insult to injury, Shinkiro works for them now lol)

From the authenticity and groundedneess of Samurai Shodown's/The Last Blade cast , to the bizarre pop-art styles of Metal Slug -- SNK has always been the better design house for me.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
When Capcpom hits it out of the park, they do it pretty damn well.

But SNK overall I feel is just more consistent at good character designs.
Let's not pretend that Capcom hasn't had their share of missteps:

Abigail-Capcom-Unity.jpg
Thank you, I didn't want to say it and upset the few Abigail fans who slam their keyboards with the ferocity of arcade stick buttons.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Capcom designs are universally loved. You can't get any better.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, but my vote is for Vampire Savior. The chars, the stages and even the quotes are amazing even today.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surely it's Nntendo. I mean look how many iconic characters they have. Blizzard did a good job with Overwatch too.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with Capcom - Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Breath Of Fire, Resident Evil, Okami, Devil May Cry, Strider, Megaman. Tons of classics with a wide variety of styles.

They've also been hitting it out of the park with SF5's female character designs.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Surely it's Nntendo. I mean look how many iconic characters they have. Blizzard did a good job with Overwatch too.

Iconic =/ cool

I mean they still do. Just not as consistent anymore.

For proof, see Zeku, new Cody and new Sakura.

Cody has seen multiple design revisions over the years and none of them I would consider to be cool outside of his Alpha 3 incarnation. It's simplicity hits hard that this once Noble and heroic dude can fall so hard to be a no good sociopath.

The Sakura revision was long overdue.

In fact it kind of sucks that no one likes to talk about the design revisions seen in V and how almost Garou MoW like they are.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I like Konami's range better. From medieval (Castlevania) to horror (Silent Hill) to the brooding paramilitary themes in MGS.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like others here I would put Nintendo and Blizzard above Capcom. Although both have had their share of stinkers.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with Capcom - Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Breath Of Fire, Resident Evil, Okami, Devil May Cry, Strider, Megaman. Tons of classics with a wide variety of styles.

They've also been hitting it out of the park with SF5's female character designs.
Don't forget Viewtiful Joe. His design is sick. I love the pink flowing scarf

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Character design discussions always get weird. They are so up to personal opinion, it's hard to argue against or for any one design.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Yeah I think I'll put Blizzard over Capcom too. Warcraft is a trendsetter in Western fantasy design

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta disagree. Capcom still has significant issues regarding the sexualization and objectification of female characters. Some games are better and some are worse, but man it's going to take a while before that isn't the first thing I think of with regards to Capcom character design.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Sonic All Stars Transformed from Games with Gold and I forgot how Sega had a lot of great and iconic characters.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Fighting game wise i have always preferred the more down-to-earth designs of SNK, i have always found them way cooler than the more cartoony(sometimes just weird) Capcom's designs.

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom before people like Kinu Nishimura, Akiman or Tatsuya Yoshikawa left was certainly the best; these days it's but a shell of its former self.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Being better than absolute trash does not mean he's good.
This. The newcomers in the SF4 games are awful. You've got:
  • An SNK ripoff (C.Viper)
  • Blandy McBlanderson (Abel)
  • One of the worst final boss designs in SF history (Seth)\
  • A Cammy mod (Decapre)
  • Rufus
Only one that knocks it out of the park is Juri, and, surprise surprise, they fucked up her default costume in V.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Capcom before people like Kinu Nishimura, Akiman or Tatsuya Yoshikawa left was certainly the best; these days it's but a shell of its former self.

Daigo Ikeno's take on the Street Fighter cast / his Capcom work in general is very good

--

I don't see the appeal in Menat's character design at all. Too much noise in her design compared to Rose, the character she's supposed to be a successor of.

And C. Viper is legitimately cool looking, it's such a shame the community has this weirdo disdain for her.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  • A Cammy mod (Decapre)
  • Rufus
Only one that knocks it out of the park is Juri, and, surprise surprise, they fucked up her default costume in V.

Sad thing is Juri's only good because she's a goddamn Jojo

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • A Cammy mod (Decapre)
  • Rufus
not just the default costume

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You know who's cooler? Vice and Mature.
Why bother comparing those two to Viper when it's blatantly obvious they're taking the inspirations for her design from the Agents team more than the secretaries.

Can we stop pretending that taking shit from other franchises is necessarily bad? Because SNK and Capcom have been -- and STILL ARE -- taking shit from each other to this day.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Capcom have made some truly great characters over the years. They've also done a great job redesigning their old characters as well (Cody, Sakura etc.)

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I gotta say Sega though. Throughout the years, they have had some really cool characters(excluding the Sonic OC crew). I mean, you got Sonic. You have the entire cast Valkyria Chronicles
images

You have Jet Set Radio
jetsetradio-01.png

Phantasy Star:
PSO-Defaults.jpg

And much much more.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Let's not pretend that Capcom hasn't had their share of missteps:

Abigail-Capcom-Unity.jpg

Awful. Looks like a jokey boss character from borderlands.

Capcom has some great designs. I'd give Atlus a good shout, and squre enix with FF is okay, but changes depending on your taste. for example, i think the designs in FFXV are some of the worst this generation.

Speaking of atlus though, as the post above states, Sega in general is pretty good. Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Jet Set Radio, Persona/ Shin Megami.

EDIT: Also actually, bioware. Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age all have solid designs.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Capcom has iconic characterography. If all developers had cinematic universes Capcom would have the best one followed by Nintendo.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why bother comparing those two to Viper when it's blatantly obvious they're taking the inspirations for her design from the Agents team more than the secretaries.

Can we stop pretending that taking shit from other franchises is necessarily bad? Because SNK and Capcom have been -- and STILL ARE -- taking shit from each other to this day.
Yeah the whole "she looks like a kof character" thing has always been dumb. Those games have good designs so if she looks like that well... that's fine?