• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

langgi

Oct 27, 2017
Southeast Asia
Yes. They made Megaman, that's enough reason.

Also Zero, Chun Li, Haggar, Captain Commando, and Claire Redfield.

Their recent outputs were hit and miss. Rufus, Abel, and Seth are undeniably bad but Juri and C Viper are cool. Fang and Falke are meh, but Zeku and Menat are cool.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at that Granblue art, Hideo Manaba's style reminds me hard of Akihiko Yoshida. Is one of them the others mentor?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure this makes sense with character designers hopping between companies and games but... overall yes. Bengus is one of the GOATs.

But I think Kaneko during the PS2 era... phew lad.

Now I gotta look at Soejima's designs
francis.png

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
They're fine. A lot of them are very generic anime, or just kind of unremarkable (RE) and a character like Dante is honestly one of the most unappealing, lame, angsty teen fantasy designs in games. I am mind blown anyone over the age of 15 thinks he's cool. I remember a friend in high school showing me the opening of one of the games, where he's naked and censored Austin Powers style, and I legitimately thought he was fucking with me when he said it was "the coolest shit ever" after it was over. I love early Mega Man and a lot of the early Robot Masters, though.

A lot of their fighting game cast is pretty cool, but I feel like great fighting game character designs are pretty common. Between Capcom, SNK, Arcsys and even NetherRealm and indies, the genre is packed with great design work.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
SNK all the way.
And as someone said the Splatoon design team crated the coolest looking game around.
Even more stylish than Jet Set Radio.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Their back catalog is phenomenal though their current output seems hit or miss. That said, when they hit they can still knock it out of the park.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, the 'Capcom Design Works' crew was ridiculous. Their legacy of character designs is hugely influential amongst artists and designers in and out of the industry. And talking of that, the Capcom connection for Overwatch being Arnold Tsang (aka arnistotle), dude's a huge Capcom fan and bought his taste and talent into the Overwatch franchise as the lead character concept artist.
ZSjHq7k.jpg

Everything old is new again.

8lz6XNS.jpg

Capcom's library of designs is ridiculous, true heavyweights in this category. Hats off to their rival, as the saying goes, 'iron sharpens iron'
tumblr_lpdsggnqUB1qctq9do1_1280.jpg

I came here to post that I believe Blizzard has among the best character designers, but it seems you already pointed it out! Overwatch really does have some fantastic designs.

Gren

Oct 27, 2017
Across their long history of games, I think they have the best variety of designs, sure.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Might as well throw Supergiant Games into the ring, even if they only have 3 games. They're consistently great at least.

18u9sdvpoju75jpg.jpg

transistor-key-art.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OG Capcom is better than modern Capcom.
Also SF4 could have been so much better with Juri's concept and Rufus' first concept.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
SNK is better as far as the fighters go.

Capcom had some awesome ones in the CP System II and sidesroll brawler days though. Those days are long gone, however.

CyGames is a great answer though it's more of tossing a ton of darts at a board and getting some bullseye in that case.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, but does anyone actually think Blanka and Dhalsim are "good" designs?
Blanka's design works. It's two primary colors with a VERY recognizable silhouette. I don't even like Blanka and I'll take his look over at least 80% of the designs in any given anime fighter.

I don't understand the slave anklets though...

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Abigail's default ain't great but his costumes are a massive improvement.

Also his animations are pretty charming.

jGB2pVP.gif

You can't say no to the finger-guns backdash.

This.

Abigail visual is hit or miss with a lot of people, but the amount of care that went into his animation and everything else makes the overall product a good design. Capcom knew exactly what it was doing.

While not Capcom per-se, shouts out to Asura's Wrath. That game is a marvel in terms of design.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
People are posting FANG and Abigail when there is a character that looks even worse. Fake Ken.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm not sure who actually designed the characters, but I've always loved Ayami Kojima's artwork of characters in the Castlevania series.

castlevania-symphony-of-the-night.jpg

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not sure, but i love japanese game designers in general:
nintendo, SE, capcom, sega, atlus, bandai, namco...

i cant say i like/remember one single western characters game design except geralt from w3.

why is that?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Blizzard, but tbh anything thst isn't Overwatch or Starcraft from them looks like poo poo.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely used to have some amazing character designs and they still can do a pretty good job. I am not at all a fan of the new Street Fighter look though. Breath of Fire has some of my favourite character designs of all time though, so kudos to Capcom for that.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say Sega though. Throughout the years, they have had some really cool characters(excluding the Sonic OC crew). I mean, you got Sonic. You have the entire cast Valkyria Chronicles

You have Jet Set Radio

Phantasy Star:

And much much more.
Yeah... no.

LOOK AT THOSE EYEBROWS

Shining-Resonance-Refrain-Official-Announce-Trailer-1036x583.jpg

I'd call this generic but the collar makes him look like he walked out of some sex dungeon and the colors of the jacket and white/orange shirt just look awful.

Sega has plenty of shit characters, these are just from one of the lesser known series >.>

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, nobody else even comes close to Capcom IMHO. They have SO MANY instantly recognizable characters who are at once incredibly diverse and unique, but paradoxically all contain a quintessential capcom-ness. Mainly talking about golden age stuff, but they still turn out some great designs now.

Square and Atlus both check the boxes for high-quality and unique to their brand, but their individual characters don't come near the inventiveness of Capcom's and all seem a bit more derivative.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom is definitively top tier

Sega, Konami, Blizzard and Square Enix are strong contenders. LucasArts was top tier when it was around but... yeah... :(

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Why is no one mentioning Namco in this thread with Tekken and Soul Calibur. They have pretty cool designs as far as I'm concerned.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Blizzard for sure in my opinion. Especially Warcraft characters. Gonna be hard to beat Arthas, Illidan and the likes.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I agree 100%. I think a ton of their characters are just great and they just have so many iconic characters in almost all genres. Whether it's humans, monsters, robots, etc, they just have soooo many good designs from any one of them. From Monster Hunter, Rival Schools, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter, Ace Attorney, Devil May Cry, Cyberbots, Tech Romancer, Mega Man/Legends/X/Zero, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, etc.......any one of those series has top notch art direction in many of their games.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we consider all of their history then yeah, absolutely, there's just soo much good stuff in there. Nintendo and Konami (they used to have Ayami Kojima AND Yoji Shinkawa) are great too, but Capcom wins in terms of sheer variety in my eyes.

If I were to pick individual artists, Atlus would win, but they're a shadow of themselves nowadays.