• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta be honest with you, I was kind of excited that RDR2 was finally hitting PC after a year, in fact I do own a PS4 but decided to wait so I could hopefully run it at 1080p@60fps since most games I've tried run perfectly fine with my rig:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.20 GHz
16gb of ram
GTX 1060 6GB

I checked the recommended specs and found this:

Recommended Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 12GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
  • HDD Space: 150GB
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Truth be told, even guys with even better graphics card have been struggling to get 60 fps consistently, just read this thread and you'll notice it's a total mess:
www.resetera.com

Red Dead Redemption II PC performance thread

(Click for general game info.) 🖥️ System requirements: 🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022) AMD: 22.2.2 Nvidia: 511.79 📊 Benchmarks: ComputerBase (German; 06/11/2019 build[?]) GamersNexus (English; launch build; CPU-focused) GamersNexus (English; 06/11/2019 build[?]; CPU-focused) GamersNexus...

Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming but I hate wasting my time trying different settings. Now I understand why some people refuse to let consoles behind.
Sometimes I go as far as thinking that developers don't optimize their games properly on purpose so companies like NVIDIA can sell their new cards at ridiculous prices.

It's really discouraging.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Sucks because even with the minimum reqs I was expecting scaling as well as GTAV and welp...nope

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Because everyone keeps trying to crank it up to ultra and get shocked when it performs badly?

Sure it has a few bugs, and Rockstar needs to fix it, but being shocked that a game needs high-end gear for ultra is silly.

Sep 15, 2019
Any developer/publisher who treats any platform like an after thought does a great job at highlighting the issues people have with said platform.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
The difference is if the games optimization is wack I can work around the settings and make it stable and 60 with a PC game.

a console game I have to tolerate the awful performance n such. Especially rockstar shit.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Because everyone keeps trying to crank it up to ultra and get shocked when it performs badly?

Why is this always the first thing that gets fixated on, even if it's not actually the real problem? Many are having problems even with everything at medium settings. I'm also rereading the OP, and I don't see the word "ultra" anywhere in it.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
You are going to regret this thread when the digital foundry analysis comes out.

Set the game in medium/high and enjoy the better IQ while still double the console framerate.

You don't have to tinker, you do however need to improve your knowledge to set your expectations correctly.

Finally, this is not an opinion thread as the title states but a mere rant.

Why is this always the first thing that gets fixated on, even if it's not actually the real problem? Many are having problems even with everything at medium settings.

Because this is a performance thread and the main issue with performance is that one. There are other issues definitely, but the guess seems educated.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this always the first thing that gets fixated on, even if it's not actually the real problem? Many are having problems even with everything at medium settings. I'm also rereading the OP, and I don't see the word "ultra" anywhere in it.
Right, and what's their specs? Have you seen how good it looks on medium? It clearly requires decent hardware.

To paint a bad launch as some PC exclusive problem is weird af too.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what you mean. I personally relish the kind of gaming experience a console could never provide: fiddling with settings for hours to optimize each game. Assuming it runs right in the first place.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
it sounds like the PC port has some issues for sure, but I feel like this is exactly the reason why Crysis (or was it Crysis Warhead?) put big "THIS IS FOR THE MOST INSANE FUTURE VIDEO CARDS ONLY ALERT ALERT" warnings on a lot of settings and called medium "normal" or whatever.

I would really like to know what settings in RDR2 are equivalent (more or less) to the different console versions. I'd happily play at those settings at 60fps, and then poke at adding extra bells and whistles.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Don't most games have one graphics setting that absolutely tanks frame rate on all pre-sets, like shadows?

Also, the game might be hammering your CPU depending on how much stuff is in the world at any one time and what your draw distance is.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of performance are you getting w/ that setup, OP? And with what settings?

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Kind of contradicts the whole master race, brute force crap you hear a lot.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The performance isn't the main issue, it's the freezing on i5 CPUs and RGL launcher crashes.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I gotta be honest with you, I was kind of excited that RDR2 was finally hitting PC after a year, in fact I do own a PS4 but decided to wait so I could hopefully run it at 1080p@60fps since most games I've tried run perfectly fine with my rig:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.20 GHz
16gb of ram
GTX 1060 6GB

I checked the recommended specs and found this:

Recommended Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 12GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
  • HDD Space: 150GB
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Truth be told, even guys with even better graphics card have been struggling to get 60 fps consistently, just read this thread and you'll notice it's a total mess:
www.resetera.com

Red Dead Redemption II PC performance thread

(Click for general game info.) 🖥️ System requirements: 🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022) AMD: 22.2.2 Nvidia: 511.79 📊 Benchmarks: ComputerBase (German; 06/11/2019 build[?]) GamersNexus (English; launch build; CPU-focused) GamersNexus (English; 06/11/2019 build[?]; CPU-focused) GamersNexus...

Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming but I hate wasting my time trying different settings. Now I understand why some people refuse to let consoles behind.
Sometimes I go as far as thinking that developers don't optimize their games properly on purpose so companies like NVIDIA can sell their new cards at ridiculous prices.

It's really discouraging.

PC game is not for you.

And if you tolerate 30 fps u should play on consoles.

You are trying everything on ultra. Try high settings and see the magic happen.

And remember consoles(even one x) is a mix of low and medium.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have to admit that between Modern Warfare and RDR2 I'm really starting to question my PC first approach to new games. I couldn't play the game the night that Modern Warfare was unlocked because the PC version was screwed, and I can't play RDR2 because the launcher is broken.
I got lucky with Gears 5 and was able to finish it before all the servers went to shit.

As someone whose primary focus is single player campaigns, the PC launches of this year have been buggy as can be. A year from now I don't know if my PC first approach will still be intact.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I can't see a anyone with a Rtx having problems with medium settings. Sorry but no.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I just put it on a 'balanced' preset and I'm playing the game at 1440p, 60fps. Wasn't much effort tbh.

I think performance could be better and there are some legitimate issues with certain people's systems, but overall I think it's being a little overstated.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
'Low' in this game is like High in any other game, and scales up from there (reminded of of Crysis 2 where the lowest setting was 'High', and went up to EXTREME). But some people are somehow offended when they have to run a game on Low.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I have to admit that between Modern Warfare and RDR2 I'm really starting to question my PC first approach to new games. I couldn't play the game the night that Modern Warfare was unlocked because the PC version was screwed, and I can't play RDR2 because the launcher is broken.
I got lucky with Gears 5 and was able to finish it before all the servers went to shit.

As someone whose primary focus is single player campaigns, the PC launches of this year have been buggy as can be. A year from now I don't know if my PC first approach will still be intact.

Both MW and Gears 5 had issues on consoles too with the campaign, pretty sure both were tied to the servers.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
I agree, OP. PC gaming has gotten more streamlined, but it will never be as easy for the average person as a console.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
PC game is not for you.

And if you tolerate 30 fps u should play on consoles.

You are trying everything on ultra. Try high settings and see the magic happen.

And remember consoles(even one x) is a mix of low and medium.

Yes, the magic of 20fps drops and an average of sub 40fps. This video on low + medium is only getting around 40fps, and lower with high settings.

I can't see a anyone with a Rtx having problems with medium settings. Sorry but no.

Awesome story, yet the OP isn't using an RTX card. Also, even the 1080 Ti runs the game like shit compared to some of the RTX cards that don't actually perform as well in other games.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I love when developers make games designed to take advantage of your next video card. And I remember when that sort of thing was more common.

I miss Origin.

(Course, I also want well-optimized games. I haven't played this yet so I don't know how well it actually runs)

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I'm new to PC gaming. I have an i7 8700k, 1080ti, 32gb ram, RDR2 on an ssd, and my monitor is 1440p gsync 165hz.. I'm having to lower my settings to like 25% on the slider to get a good frame rate.. like 90fps average on the bookmark. Still looks pretty and everything, but I feel like maybe I should be getting more out of it? I don't know. I don't know what half of this shit even is. fXAA, MSA. All of that. That's why I'm just testing using the overall slider, instead of tooling around with the settings myself.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I've seen a ton of PC guys on Twitter and elsewhere reporting various problems with RDR2. This is exactly why I've resisted making the switch from console. I don't want to waste the little time I have to game trying to figure out how to get the game to run properly.

With next-gen consoles on the horizon and their estimated stats, I'm not seeing myself changing my mind.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I've been doing this shit forever, and I have to agree. Every game I play I'm opening the control panel or editing a file. I don't mind; I know this stuff,and it takes me a few minutes, but it could be pure agony for somebody who doesn't. People get paid to know this sort of stuff people.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think a big problem with PC gaming right now is that many developers are advertising "recommended" specs that are too low.

I believe the GTX 1060 is the most common Steam survey GPU so they probably want to advertise that it will be enough for a great RDR2 performance when in reality it probably isn't.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
You are going to regret this thread when the digital foundry analysis comes out.

Set the game in medium/high and enjoy the better IQ while still double the console framerate.

You don't have to tinker, you do however need to improve your knowledge to set your expectations correctly.

^

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Thread title should have been "Rockstar's games on PC and my expectations from official Recommended Specs are exactly the reasons why some people still HATE gaming on PC"

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
PC gaming is frustrating at times, for sure. You can have this tendency to constantly be tweaking the settings for the best possible performance without diminishing the graphics too much. It can take away from just playing the damn game by quite a bit especially if you always feel like your efforts are coming up short.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
My impressions are that the game is running fine for the graphical detail present. It is definitely the best looking open world game even on the default balanced preset. As such, I expect it to run worse than games that look inferior to it. I'm glad that Rockstar has pushed the envelope with this release.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

Yes, the magic of 20fps drops and an average of sub 30fps. This video on low + medium is only getting around 35fps.

Awesome story, yet the OP isn't using an RTX card. Also, even the 1080 Ti runs the game like shit compared to some of the RTX cards that don't actually perform as well in other games.

Are i3 cpu? A i3 will bottleneck a 1060... Come on try hard.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018

Because this is a performance thread and the main issue with performance is that one. There are other issues definitely, but the guess seems educated.
This comes from experience in the PC space. Most are not used to this level of future proofing, and it's the bad kind of future proofing too where it is not obvious or labled.