• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Rajiv Satyal is a Los Angeles-based comedian/host. His I AM INDIAN video, a take-off on Molson's I AM CANADIAN, has been viewed over 50 million times. Satyal has been featured in/on NBC, NPR, Nickelodeon, Netflix, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Variety, Advertising Age and The LA Times.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/apu-the-simpsons-1.4613207
I toured India with comedian and filmmaker Hari Kondabolu, so I love him not only as an artist, but also as a friend. It is in this context that I offer a critique of his documentary, The Problem with Apu, which tackles the depiction of Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on The Simpsons.

The documentary suggests that the way Apu is presented is offensive — a charge that writers finally addressed in Monday night's episode, where Lisa breaks the fourth wall and says, "Something that started decades ago, and was applauded and inoffensive, is now politically incorrect. What can you do?"

Here's what I think: this documentary is well-done, and it is driven by a noble pursuit of truth and justice. But it puts forth an argument that will simply make a lot of people roll their eyes. When that happens, we actually take the progressive movement backwards.
In the trailer for the documentary, we see Kondabolu interviewing Simpsonswriter and co-executive producer Dana Gould, who says that certain accents sound funny to white Americans. Kondabolu then pops up and says, "It's funny because it's racist."

OK, seriously. You don't understand the Indian accent is funny to white people? And to other Indians? Many of us do the Indian accent in our stand-up acts to solely Indian audiences, and they laugh. The Indian accent sounds funny in the same way the German accent sounds evil. It just does — it's like when a smart person finally admits he finds farts funny. There's no way a comedian doesn't understand this concept.

One stereotype about Indians is that we lack a sense of humour. That was often the first question we received when we did press junkets throughout India: "How are you going to make Indians laugh when they can't take a joke?" That was news to me: Indians have consistently been some of my best crowds. So, by going after Apu, this documentary may be attacking one stereotype but enforcing another. Now that's irony.
If the thrust of the argument is that there were no prominent Indians in America to counter Apu's depiction at the time he was conceived, well, take a look at all of the prominent South Asian voices included this documentary: Aziz Ansari, Russell Peters, Aasif Mandvi, Sakina Jaffrey and more. Indians are killin' it in Hollywood.

The very fact that we have so many famous and successful Indians to rebut the whole concept of Apu proves the point that the way to victory is to drown him out. If the best revenge is living well, as the expression goes, then we're clearly winning.

All comedy is misdirection. But the documentary itself is misdirected: it litigates a battle against Hank Azaria, the white actor who voices Apu's character. As it is known in Hollywood, film is a director's medium. Stage is an actor's medium. And television is a writer's medium. In TV, the writers run the show. Actors are labour and producers and creators are management.
But here's the other thing: Apu already is a three-dimensional character. Yes, there are cheap shots at his expense and lame lines in the dialogue. But Apu also cracks intelligent jokes, fights against stereotypes and experiences a journey across the emotional spectrum.

Here's one example: in one Simpsons episode, Apu is completing an oral exam to gain American citizenship. When asked about the cause of the Civil War, he starts into a lengthy explanation about its multiple causes, yet is interrupted by the interviewer who says, "Just say slavery." Here, Apu proves he's much more than the guy pulling the handle on the Squishee machine; his is the smart, nuanced voice, juxtaposed with that of the lazy American who just wants to get the test over with.

Apu might have been one of the few Indian characters on television more than a quarter-century ago, but as the documentary itself points out, there's now an Indian on practically every successful contemporary show. That's incredible progress — something about which to rejoice. Let's not play the victim. Let's celebrate.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So the arguments are
* Indian accents are funny, deal with it.
* The fact that major Indian actors were in the documentary show that it doesn't matter if Apu used to be the sole major Indian figure on TV.
* Stop talking about the actor when they should be talking about the ones in charge.
* Apu is a well rounded character, so we shouldn't talk about his negative qualities.

Can't say I'm convinced.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Indian accent sounds funny in the same way the German accent sounds evil. It just does — it's like when a smart person finally admits he finds farts funny. There's no way a comedian doesn't understand this concept.

To deny that racism is a part of why certain accents sound a certain way is to be obtuse. You're telling me that thinking Germans sound evil has NOTHING to do with Hitler or Nazis? You're telling me that the Western accent being considered the "normal" accent isn't white privilege? You're telling me that finding the Indian accent to be comedic has nothing to do with assuming cultural superiority?

"ITS JUST FUNNY LOOOL" isn't exactly a convincing argument.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it puts forth an argument that will simply make a lot of people roll their eyes. When that happens, we actually take the progressive movement backwards.

I mean, people roll their eyes at BLM. They roll their eyes at protests. They roll their eyes at all sorts of things.

You can't constantly try to appeal to assholes.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The one point this article had (talking about the ones in charge) is lost in a sea of racism and bigotry.
:/

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This is an argument where I step back and just listen, I don't try to inject myself into a debate that isn't part of my life experience. I may be black, but I'm not Indian. So, I'm not going to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't consider offensive and how they should fight against it.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Time to write The Problem With The Problem With The Problem With Apu I guess

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I mean the only people I ever see making fun of the indian accent are indian and they find it hillarious but that doesn't discredit the argument in the documentary.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an argument where I step back and just listen, I don't try to inject myself into a debate that isn't part of my life experience. I may be black, but I'm not Indian. So, I'm not going to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't consider offensive and how they should fight against it.
This is one where you'l never get agreement/unanimity because it's so subjective. Much like the debate you see in other communities regarding reappropriation.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I toured India with comedian and filmmaker Hari Kondabolu, so I love him not only as an artist, but also as a friend. I

Bruh you couldn't sit and maybe have a conversation with your friend instead of punk him in an article like this? A good dialogue and back and forth piece online would have been great, but instead it's "there were famous Indians in the movie. Sure, they were talking exactly about the thing Hari was bringing up. But look! They're famous now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.