• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to a few tweets from the game's director, maybe? I sure hope so. One of the most touching RPGs I've ever played.

Could Opoona be making a return? ArtePiazza scenario and game designer, and Opoona director Sachiko Sugimura seems to be teasing something on Twitter. In a recent tweet, she stated the following.

"It is November 1, 2017. Today is the [28th] anniversary of ArtePiazza's establishment. And it has also been 10 years since the release of our lifestyle RPG Opoona!! I'll be making a wonderful announcement in the near future, so please give me a little more time."

Taking things a step further, Inside Games also teased an announcement, ad did the official ArtePiazza Twitter account. They actually released multiple tweets, which said "a wonderful announcement..!? seriously!!?? is a new Opoona coming!!??" and "huh, what is this wonderful announcement!?!? what is this wonderful announcement mentioned in the Opoona 10th anniversary tweet!?!?."

Via https://gematsu.com/2017/11/opoona-director-teases-wonderful-announcement-10th-anniversary-tweet

Thanks, Salromano!

Last edited:

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I never played this game, but a friend of mine recommended the ost to me. It's incredible.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh I'd kill for a new Opoona. Or even a remake. It was sent out to die a horrible death in the US (releasing the same day as Mario Galaxy, really?) and definitely deserves a second chance.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
This would be... cool. I'm not going to say I loved Opoona, but it was so interesting and unique. I'd definitely like to see what they're going to do. Whatever it is, more Basiscape music please.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'd heard that the writing in Japanese was really good, but it didn't really carry over in the translation.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Opoona is one of my favourite JRPGs of all time and the Musou appearance gave me hope.

PLEASE.

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
Sphynx and the Cursed Mummy remake, Opoona sequel, new Bubsy... what in tarnation is going on. My bet's on a Cubivore reboot next.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's exciting, a lot of passion and creativity went into Opoona. With a few improvements to the frustrating aspects, it could be a great game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yesss please! I loved Opoona! It's such an incredibly niche RPG for the Wii, but I really enjoyed it.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Would be great!
Wondered why KT was suddenly pushing Opoona in Warriors All-Stard and the free DOA5 costume...

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
I played this but never managed to finish it! A remake for Switch (or any other platform) would be fantastic!

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This would be incredible. One of the most unique and amazing games of the past gen. Love it

Oct 26, 2017
Switch game. NOW. I will buy a remake/remaster/sequel day 1 on Switch. The music is some of the best I've heard in years.

Honestly I'd wonder if it'd be exclusive. Why? Because how many games by ArtePiazza and Cattle Call (who co-developed most of AP's games) have been on more than one system at the same time? I know Innocent Life was a PSP game that later got ported to PS2, but that's really it. Could they even handle a multiplat game? Just focus on one system. Besides, the Joy-Cons allow to relive that "one-handed control" gimmick they did on Wii, this time on each hand!

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine this would be at the very least coming to a Nintendo platform. ArtePiazza has been exclusive to Nintendo since around 2007 working on Dragon Quest remakes (NDS/3DS), Opoona (Wii), and DSiWare titles.

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Opoona was one of those games I always intended to pick up one day out of curiosity but never did, along with stuff like Elebits and the Munchables. Was it good?

Either way, I'd love to see more of these kinds of oddball games :)

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Switch game. NOW. I will buy a remake/remaster/sequel day 1 on Switch. The music is some of the best I've heard in years.

Honestly I'd wonder if it'd be exclusive. Why? Because how many games by ArtePiazza and Cattle Call (who co-developed most of AP's games) have been on more than one system at the same time? I know Innocent Life was a PSP game that later got ported to PS2, but that's really it. Could they even handle a multiplat game? Just focus on one system. Besides, the Joy-Cons allow to relive that "one-handed control" gimmick they did on Wii, this time on each hand!
Wouldn't be surprised if it's Switch only, but the fact that Opoona appeared on Warriors All-stars (PS4/PC/Vita) makes me think it could be multiplatform this time around.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Opoona?

cOFcYA6.gif

This takes me back. This was the game we all made fun of in the Wii era, then forgot it existed... but turned out to be pretty good. This is so weird. You couldn't pick a more niche game in the Wii's catalog to bring back.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Wait, was the original actually well-received? I remember people saying that it was a rather average RPG and it was only kinda significant because it was released at a time where RPGs were basically non-existent in the Wii.

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine this would be at the very least coming to a Nintendo platform. ArtePiazza has been exclusive to Nintendo since around 2007 working on Dragon Quest remakes (NDS/3DS), Opoona (Wii), and DSiWare titles.

Yep, and Cattle Call did some decent profile stuff on 3DS with The Legend of Legacy and The Alliance Alive alongside Grezzo. As well as Metal Max 4 on 3DS.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I would be okay with this, I've always wanted to play this but never had the chance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, was the original actually well-received? I remember people saying that it was a rather average RPG and it was only kinda significant because it was released at a time where RPGs were basically non-existent in the Wii.
It was met with fair to middling reviews. It was a nice little game with a touching story, great music and a fun, yet simple battle system.

The biggest issue people had with it, was that it was on the easy side. It probably didn't help that it looked like a Dreamcast game, but I think that added to the charm.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This would be... cool. I'm not going to say I loved Opoona, but it was so interesting and unique. I'd definitely like to see what they're going to do. Whatever it is, more Basiscape music please.

Yeah, it was far from perfect but I'm glad it existed. It's one of those games for which I think "there should be more games like this!".

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Really like Opoona, even if I'm not sure it's a good game per se, it's well worth a play. It's like a weird sci-fi Earthbound with light social links. And an oddly well-developed world complete with TV shows and art movements. Fantastic music, and I actually like the art style.

The biggest issue people had with it, was that it was on the easy side. It probably didn't help that it looked like a Dreamcast game, but I think that added to the charm.

Did they play past 10 hours? I recall at least one really rough boss battle about 4/5 in where you had to queue up heals at warpspeed or you'd wipe out within 20 seconds.

SupraDarky

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, that's unexpected! Opoona is easily one of my favorite Wii games and one of my most memorable RPGs ever. The attention to details in this game was mighty impressive and calling it a "lifestyle RPG" really is fitting. I'm excited!

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been meaning to play Opoona. I've always thought it looked super interesting.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
OH MY FUCK

The game was great, but could have used some more polish. Can't imagine how amazing a proper remake or sequel would be... but knowing KT it'll probably be a cash in and/or mobile game, if anything.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
DR0YXbyUQAAXJsC

Is there any update on what this was?. I saw this image on their twitter but the rest is in Japanese.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, yes please. If they did gave Opoona a lot more polish and made some quality of life improvements, the game would be a classic

I would also take a sequel that builds and refines its ideas as well