• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC gamers rejoice!
Skilled coder AlexAltea has begun work on as of right now the world's first dedicated Playstaion 4 emulator for Windows and Linux!
4 weeks have elapsed since the emulator started development and it already has a dumping tool ready and a kernel working!
Better news is that progress will be faster on this emulator because instead of full X86-64 emulation, it is virtualizing the PS4 OS

The only firmware that is confirmed by Alex to be working so far is version 5.00
Footage (albiet kind of outdated now) of the emulator working:

Of course since i know somebody will ask this, NO COMMERCIAL GAMES WORK WITH THIS EMULATOR RIGHT NOW

Here's a screenshot of the WIP dumper (only works with version 5.00 and only dumps system files, no games yet)
IMG_20180320_190827.jpg

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/AlexAltea
Roadmap: https://github.com/AlexAltea/orbital/wiki/Roadmap
Main Github: https://github.com/AlexAltea/orbital
Discord: https://discord.gg/umcN8UZ

(As per usual with any emulation threads do not turn this into shitflinging and insult hurling, people use emulators for different purposes, don't try to be a moral guardian and let people have their fun, there will be grave consequences if you use this as an excuse to say "grrrm emulators hurt console sales" or any of that other nonsense.)

Please stop derailing the thread with talks of piracy and get back on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps someday this will allow for Bloodborne to be played without framepacing issues.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
hey, as long as i don't have to shell out $200 for a used PS4 just to play 3 games, i welcome this emulator with open arms!

I don't really get it, but i guess if your that adverse to buying a console, i guess its fine as long as your buying the games legitimately and doing things without illegality.

My main concern is how this affects the ecosystem, with the PS4 likely to be on the market for a long time now. I hope people avoid the piracy angle

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I don't really get it, but i guess if your that adverse to buying a console, i guess its fine as long as your buying the games legitimately and doing things without illegality.

My main concern is how this affects the ecosystem, with the PS4 likely to be on the market for a long time now. I hope people avoid the piracy angle
This kind of thinking would kill the console market.
I know alot of ppl who use and have used emulator of all kind and none bought the games they played
I'm sure they pay their taxes too.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's really impressive, it'll be interesting to track its progress.
I'm actually more interested in the dumper though, only for the future data mining possibilities.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
60 fps bloodborne? ? ? ? ?? Or at least stable FPS with improved framepacing with higher res? I'm kind of excited for this is as High end PC and PS4 owner. PS4 or the Pro doesn't really cut it for frame rates it so I'm glad this is happening and I hope this project progresses well in the future.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The guy you quoted said that he didn't want to spend on a console but just buy the games for it. If everyone did that, consoles would die.

well yeah, but this guy is an exception to the rule surely...im saying that atleast those people who are enticed by this, who would otherwise likely just buy a used PS4 anyway to buy used games, atleast buy the games legit to support the devs if they are gonna do that way

OP
OP
rtv190

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's really impressive, it'll be interesting to track its progress.
I'm actually more interested in the dumper though, only for the future data mining possibilities.
Yea, i was quite surprised to see how far along it was when the screencaps were posted in the Discord.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, emulation is not piracy.
I mean, I use emulation yeah, but if I have the ability to do so I will rip games I already own. I already do that with RPCS3 and my 3DS.
I know alot of ppl who use and have used emulator of all kind and none bought the games they played
Doesn't make it right, not unless it's a game that can't be acquired anymore, and even then it's still a gray area.

Oct 25, 2017
Should say that the amount of people saying you need to dump the files for the emulator.

You're not wrong but I seriously doubt anyone here except for like 5 people went and dumped a PS2 bios for example. I don't really think anyone cares from that angle about piracy or not, even if it is.

Oct 27, 2017
To tell the truth, except for great games such as Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, & Puppeteer, we might not even need PS3 emulation after all, considering a lot of other great games have been ported to PS4 already.
Yeah, but this is for people that don't own a PS4 or would rather play on PC.

I mean, I use emulation yeah, but if I have the ability to do so I will rip games I already own. I already do that with RPCS3 and my 3DS.

Well of course people using this should own the game and rip their own copy.

OP
OP
rtv190

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We might not even need PS3 emulation after all, considering a lot of other great games have been ported to PS4 already (except for great games such as Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, & Puppeteer).
This is true, but not everybody wants to shell out for remasters when they can just rip their copy of the original and play it on their PC. (it's also extremely important from a preservation point of view)

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Why do you need the console?
For one, you generally need to dump the OS or Bios. Most people don't know how to do that but the bare minimum is that they at least own the console. Using an emulator is basically turning your computer into a virtual console without paying the hardware owner a single cent. Being poor or stingy isn't a good excuse.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I actually didn't know that it was piracy if you don't dump the OS yourself because that was literally never mentioned in any of the dozens of CEMU threads. So this thread has been educational to me.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, interesting definitely. And smart to just alter qemu for this :D The only thing I wonder currently is what baikal and belize are. aeolia was found by failoverflow. Perhaps new hardware revisions like the Pro use different hardware.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

With shift towards always online games I don't believe it will be that significant.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Why do you need the console?

Where else are you going to purchase a copy of the PS4 OS? It's not like you can pop down to your local shop and buy it.

If you have a console and dump a copy of the OS to use with the emulator, you're still using the copy you bought.

If you download someone else's dump of the OS to use with the emulator, you're 100% pirating the OS.

Hence, you need to own a PS4 to use this emulator without being a pirate.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, though by the time it boots games I'll already have played everything I want to play on PS4. Give us mouse support for single player games, Sony!

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lot of people will talk crap about the emulator, but deep down you are rooting for one day play Bloodborne at 4k 60fps.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
We might not even need PS3 emulation after all, considering a lot of other great games have been ported to PS4 already (except for great games such as Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, & Puppeteer).

And Demon's Souls. :'(

This'll be handy for the future - not only in terms of game preservation, but for those who have a PS4 and a decent PC. My wife and I are moving every couple of years until about 2025, and at some point the PS4 is going to be a space/weight hassle just like our PS3 is. We've left that in the UK, now, because Cuboid and Demon's run on RPCS3 pretty decently, and Skate 3 is coming along nicely. Would be good to do the same with the PS4 and play Bloodborne/Uncharted/Horizon on my PC.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For one, you generally need to dump the OS or Bios.
This depends. Many emulators also emulate the BIOS itself.
Most people don't know how to do that but the bare minimum is that they at least own the console. Using an emulator is basically turning your computer into a virtual console without paying the hardware owner a single cent. Being poor or stingy isn't a good excuse.
But isn't it software where the manufacturers make their money?