• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
They know we're the top predator lol. Not gonna come at the king and miss lol.
I always find this kind of nutty that that (wild) Orcas have never been known to kill humans. Even Catfish have gotten confirmed kills on us, but apparently these guys are fine with us despite everything else they get up to. That is unless they're trapped in a tank at SeaWorld, but that's understandable that they'd go after people then.
It's even better. Killer whales have been known to hunt in a partnership with humans. And it continued until humans broke the terms.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
51Co3ZQwaVL._AC_.jpg

One of the most intelligent creatures in the universe.
If they had opposable thumbs, who knows what they could have accomplished.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
"The whaling industry nearly drove blue whales into extinction, and the fact that enough of them now exist to be preyed on by orcas may hint at population growth."

lmao I just love how this is framed. Glasshalffull...probably?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Can Sperm Whales/Giant Squids take on Orcas?
Giant Squid would likely never meet an Orca in the wild. They live at far too deep a depth.

Sperm whales maybe, but in the event a lone Sperm Whale happened upon an Orca pod, it could outdive it to escape if needed. Orcas aren't hitting Sperm Whale depths; they're built for surface hunting. If it was pod vs pod, Sperm whales would probably chase the Orcas away. Blue whales aren't predators in the traditional sense. Sperm Whales ARE.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Cetacean taxonomy is... complicated.

(ignore the seal half this was the best I could find)
Phylogenetic-tree-showing-current-genomic-resources-available-for-A-cetaceans-and-B.png
I know it's not the best indicator of relatedness, but I never thought about how dolphin-shaped orcas were. They look like the elite combat unit equivalent. Though I guess its family is literally called "ocean dolphins".

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
Giant Squid would likely never meet an Orca in the wild. They live at far too deep a depth.

Sperm whales maybe, but in the event a lone Sperm Whale happened upon an Orca pod, it could outdive it to escape if needed. Orcas aren't hitting Sperm Whale depths; they're built for surface hunting. If it was pod vs pod, Sperm whales would probably chase the Orcas away. Blue whales aren't predators in the traditional sense. Sperm Whales ARE.

According to wikipedia killer whales are predators of sperm whales but mainly target calves and only go after female sperm whales if the orcas pod is large enough. Bull sperm whales though are too big and even a single one can take on an orca pod

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_whale#Relations_with_other_species

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing to remember is that orcas are in a different weight class from great whites too. They're like 10 feet or so longer and thousands of pounds heavier iirc.
So considerable size advantage + smarter animals + they hunt in packs means it's like a gang of level 60s ganking lower level players in WoW or something

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing to remember is that orcas are in a different weight class from great whites too. They're like 10 feet or so longer and thousands of pounds heavier iirc.
So considerable size advantage + smarter animals + they hunt in packs means it's like a gang of level 60s ganking lower level players in WoW or something
yeah orcas outclass great whites in literally every relevant trait for a fight

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Free Willy betrayed millions of kids, including me. Orcas are BAMF. I'll leave this here: orcas commonly bat seals into the air with their tails. They do it to break their bones.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Can Sperm Whales/Giant Squids take on Orcas?
No idea about the squids but I am pretty sure I saw a YT video where orcas attacked a mother and calf sperm whale.

When I have seen them take down a whale that is usually what I have seen and they find a way to separate the baby from the mom and then take it out.

But I think they could take down a sperm whale if it was by itself. A pod of sperm whales I would guess they would not fuck with.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I believe some peoples have myths to explain Orcs non-aggression towards humans, so this definitely predates industrialised whaling.

Even pre-commercial whaling, seems pretty likely you'd learn not to kill humans. There's not really another animal where you kill one and all the others will decide that they need to make this beach an orca-free zone and show up in dozens of canoes with spears for an orca culling.