• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

In response to the recent legislative session, Oregon Democrats have cheered a wide array of policy proposals they were able to muscle through with supermajorities in the state House and Senate.

Republicans, meanwhile, want to recall the governor.

The head of the Oregon Republican Party on Monday took a first step toward forcing a recall election of Gov. Kate Brown, whose term expires at the end of 2022.

In a prospective petition filing with the Oregon Secretary of State, Oregon GOP Chair Bill Currier listed Brown's support for a cap-and-trade program to curb greenhouse gas emissions and a bill granting undocumented immigrants driving privileges among his reasons for beginning a recall.

Forcing a recall election is not easy in Oregon. To do so, supporters of the two efforts would need to collect 280,050 valid signatures from Oregon voters — nearly twice the amount required to force a vote on amending the state constitution.

Under Oregon rules, the two groups have 90 days to collect those signatures, assuming documents initiating a petition are "complete and correct."

"I would describe it as a tall order," Currier told OPB. "A very challenging task."

If either effort were successful, Brown would have five days to file a statement of justification. A recall election would be held within 35 days after that.

Word of the recall effort by the Oregon Republican Party was first reported by the Washington Times on Monday.

Currier said his party had made the decision just recently to pursue a recall. He believes that a number of contentious issues supported by the governor and other Democrats this year have created the potential for a coalition that could bounce her from office.

I doubt they will get the signatures but this Oregonian thinks the local GOP can go fuck themselves with a cactus covered in shards of glass.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like an attempt to sow disarray and distract democrats from pushing issues while putting them on the defense.

Sounds pretty evil and probably will be effective in getting their base energized.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait i thought i wanted to move to Oregon one day.

Does Oregon actually suck?
As with a lot of the left coast, the progressive attitudes are dominant mostly in the urban areas. The more rural and the further inland you get...

512px-Oregon_Senate_map.svg.png

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Move in or nearby Eugene or Portland. Eugene is so fucking great. It's like Berkeley with better laws and a better football team. Both are great. Bend is apparently too now. Salem is a no go.

The rest of the state is gorgeous. The left half is more left, the right is very right.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an Oregonian, Seattle is better

Outside of Portland, the racism is off the fucking charts.

As a former Oregonian, Seattle kinda sucks. House prices, racism, awful traffic (I take the 405 to work) Seattle is basically Portland with more fish and less variety. It'll be a sooner, lesser San Francisco.

Racism in Oregon/Washington is pretty equal. The latter has worse weather.

BadAlchemy

May 2, 2019

No. Republicans are doing this because putting stupid and spurious measures on the ballot and walking out is the only form of political power they have left statewide. They've been doing this sort of garbage for decades now and their measures pretty much always fail. We'd love to have you, HotHamBoy.