• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Bought Ori the first day it came out on Xbox and I have to say the Switch is a perfect for the game. Ori makes such a good portable game.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Bloodstained was very disappointing. Crazy that some thought Switch can't do better.

Day1.
This and The Witcher 3 are showing that, given some good optimizations, game should run smooth with little (or some in TW3s case) compromises.

Even Warframe has benefited over time with DE (and Panic Button?)'s updates. (Cetus now runs smooth compared to the slideshow at launch.)

So yeah, I'm going to get Ori and Cuphead, but I'd really hope there will be a physical edition for both games.

Oct 26, 2017

If I understand the machine translation right, it's out in Japan on Sept 28th, likely at 1AM Japan time which is 12PM ET/ 9AM PT on the 27th anyway. Can anyone verify please?

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Finished again last month because of gamepass on pc (Played the original version on Steam also). Nintendo players that don't know the game, do a favor to yourselves and buy this jewel!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool if there was some cross save with the xbox save

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, we've received sooooooo many mails ever since the Switch released to put it on there, so it was really cool when we brought this up with Microsoft that they actually were open to it instead of just saying straight up no, which is what I kinda would've expected. So Kudos to Phil and crew who allowed us to please Nintendo and Ori fans this way :)

On a personal note, I grew up as a huge Nintendo fan (Like most of us), so it's just really satisfying to finally play a game Moon made on a Nintendo platform. We put in a ton of extra effort to make it run super nicely. The game looks really sweet on the handheld and we launch like a week or so after the Switch Lite releases, so I hope a lot of Switch Lite players will get to play Ori on the go.
I'm so excited for this! Any chance we can see the home menu icon? Also, when might this be available to preload? And what's the file size? :3

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda thought that this was a huge Metroidvania I wouldn't have time for, but apparently this game is 8-10 hours long which is perfect for me. I can't wait, it looks absolutely beautiful!

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Hey thomasmahler do you know if the achievement list will be a seperate listing that the one we currently have on Xbox/Windows (aka a stack)? Would like to unlock the achievements again :P

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Hey thomasmahler do you know if the achievement list will be a seperate listing that the one we currently have on Xbox/Windows (aka a stack)? Would like to unlock the achievements again :P

We thought that most folks would want to unlock the achievements again as they replay the game so the unlocked achievements on your Xbox/Windows Live account won't transfer over. We will also have a nice little UI for achievements in the game so those that don't have Live would still be able to fully enjoy them.

Bloodstained is a 2.5D game running on UE4, whereas Ori is a mostly 2D game (albeit with some 3D graphical effects) running on Unity. Doesn't make Bloodstained a good port, but it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I always personally found it interesting how people perceive the technical complexity of 2d games over 3d games being that much easier.
We actually found that high quality multi layered 2d is just as hard if not harder to optimize than 3d for the same camera perspective. With 3d you have the GPUs and engines built to render in that way efficiently. You can rely on all kinds of built in optimizations and efficiencies, you have out of the box content creation pipelines.

With 2d all bets are off. There's no great "built in" support for it in any engine it and you have to re-invent the rendering stack in ways that allow you to handle the insane overdraw and memory bandwidth efficiently for rendering tons and tons of overlapping semitransparent parallaxing sprites. Especially if you want a lot of them to create the sense of 3d depth using stacked 2d sprites and you want to make the world animated on top of that. And then you want all of that to stream seamlessly without any loading times and fit in a small package... All of this is much harder than it seems :)

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Bloodstained is a 2.5D game running on UE4, whereas Ori is a mostly 2D game (albeit with some 3D graphical effects) running on Unity. Doesn't make Bloodstained a good port, but it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Bloodstained is just not very well optimized on any platform. It is not that obvious on more powerful hardware, but it runs bad on any platform despite being a relatively simple and undemanding game technically. Being a simple 3D game should even help it running better in contrary to a full 2D game.

Anyway, Ori looks and run really great. That's how a port should be made.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect game for the Switch. Or any platform really. Some sections in Ori might tempt me to throw my Switch across the room though ... best I stick to playing the game on PC and Xbox :)

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
We thought that most folks would want to unlock the achievements again as they replay the game so the unlocked achievements on your Xbox/Windows Live account won't transfer over.

Good stuff! With the amount of time between the releases that's definitely the way to go.

I always personally found it interesting how people perceive the technical complexity of 2d games over 3d games being that much easier.
We actually found that high quality multi layered 2d is just as hard if not harder to optimize than 3d for the same camera perspective. With 3d you have the GPUs and engines built to render in that way efficiently. You can rely on all kinds of built in optimizations and efficiencies, you have out of the box content creation pipelines.

With 2d all bets are off. There's no great "built in" support for it in any engine it and you have to re-invent the rendering stack in ways that allow you to handle the insane overdraw and memory bandwidth efficiently for rendering tons and tons of overlapping semitransparent parallaxing sprites. Especially if you want a lot of them to create the sense of 3d depth using stacked 2d sprites and you want to make the world animated on top of that. And then you want all of that to stream seamlessly without any loading times and fit in a small package... All of this is much harder than it seems :)

Does switching to a 3D pipeline in Will of the Wisps help lighten those difficulties? Or does it make things harder since the 2D and 3D elements have to blend together seamlessly in real time and require more work and resources to do so?

I love how WotW looks from what we've been shown so far. It's really surprising how much of it leap it is seeing as the original already looked outstanding.

Last edited:

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Any word on price? I need to know how much my wallet will cry next month.
I appreciate and loved every aspect of this game, but, September is absolutely stacked and I already finished this game on Xbox One. If it's $15, I'm in day one. If it's $20 or more, it's going into my eShop wish list and I will wait for a sale. No disrespect to Thomas and his crew, I just have a ton of full-priced games swallowing up my gaming budget for the month.

...having to pay the final balance on my F4F Varia Suit Samus didn't exactly help the wallet either, but that's a whole other topic.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
We thought that most folks would want to unlock the achievements again as they replay the game so the unlocked achievements on your Xbox/Windows Live account won't transfer over. We will also have a nice little UI for achievements in the game so those that don't have Live would still be able to fully enjoy them.

Fair points. It's still an apples-to-oranges comparison, though, given that the two games use different engines and are doing very different things technically.

daCuk

Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica

Man, this explanation is really appreciated, for us not-that-technical-savvy gamers.

Oct 31, 2017
Still no word on a retail release?

This kind of post is very interesting to read, thank you!

Oct 26, 2017

So to clarify, the XBL integration will be available at launch on Sept 27th? The game doesn't have multiplayer does it? If not then cross-play wouldn't apply then. :P

Also, is Moon owned by Microsoft? The Ori site's description is conflicting:

Moon Studios is an independent video game development studio, founded in 2010 by Thomas Mahler (former Cinematic Artist at Blizzard Entertainment) and Gennadiy Korol (former Senior Graphics Engineer at Animation Lab). The company mainly focuses on highly refined gameplay mechanics within its products and prides itself on an excessive 'iterative polish' process. Moon Studios is a distributed development house: All team members are spread throughout the world, allowing Moon to work with the best and most talented people in the games industry. In 2011, Moon Studios became a Microsoft First Party Developer and is now working on Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

So... yes or no? :P

Thanks again for dropping by and answering all of our questions! :)

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not going to lie, don't want to buy this until I know I can get Will of the Wisps on Switch also. Missed opportunity not doing a physical bundle with it's sequel tbqf.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Right now Tom is sitting at home, looking at the home menu icon, keeping it all to himself, depriving us of the glory :(

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
So will the Achievements notification be more diagetic? Will I be able to turn them off? I dislike how system level Achievement notices can take me out of a game in the same way you get a "Battery low" notification if your controller is almost out of juice (and in the latter's case, it's justified as a way to tell you to either take a break and charge your battery or simply charge your controller while still playing).

I'm glad there's still people out there who still appreciate the work that goes into these 2D games. Games like LabZero's Indivisible and even Team Cherry's Hollow Knight have a ton of work and love put into it that you can't just call these games a "cheap production that utilize retro aesthetics to overcome its visual shortcomings" that so many a "hardcore gamer" think of then they think of the term "indie". And even then, you have Yatch Club games Shovel Knight which are very pure to the 8-bit concept.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm glad there's still people out there who still appreciate the work that goes into these 2D games. Games like LabZero's Indivisible and even Team Cherry's Hollow Knight have a ton of work and love put into it that you can't just call these games a "cheap production that utilize retro aesthetics to overcome its visual shortcomings" that so many a "hardcore gamer" think of then they think of the term "indie". And even then, you have Yatch Club games Shovel Knight which are very pure to the 8-bit concept.

This is why I always cringe when people demand 2D games to be sold for extremely cheap prices.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Right now Tom is sitting at home, looking at the home menu icon, keeping it all to himself, depriving us of the glory :(
Zapswf0.png