• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
So to clarify, the XBL integration will be available at launch on Sept 27th? The game doesn't have multiplayer does it? If not then cross-play wouldn't apply then. :P

Also, is Moon owned by Microsoft? The Ori site's description is conflicting:

So... yes or no? :P

Thanks again for dropping by and answering all of our questions! :)
It means they are working for Xbox first party IPs as Ori is owned by Microsoft, they are not a Microsoft first party studio.

Apr 19, 2018
Not going to lie, don't want to buy this until I know I can get Will of the Wisps on Switch also. Missed opportunity not doing a physical bundle with it's sequel tbqf.

I'd wager that Will of the Wisp is going to be a more technically demanding game than its five year old predecessor; unless it was developed with cross-platforming in mind (and that doesn't appear to be the case), who's to say it would even run well on the Switch, if at all?

I don't doubt that if Moon Studios set out to do a Switch port of Wisp, they would do it well. But given what GennadiyKorol said, it sounds like it took them several years of hard work to get even The Blind Forest up to par on the system. It's a little unreasonable to believe it would be that easy to simply include the sequel as a bundle, at least at this point in time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
For those who have played it, how difficult is it?

Is this a pure platformer?
It has a couple of tricky timed challenges, but I found the difficulty overstated. When you die, it starts you at the beginning of the challenge again and I think it took me a handful of goes to get through each one. On my second run through, I nailed them first time.

It's a Metroidvania with more platform elements. Compared to something like Hollow Knight, which is a Metroidvania with more combat elements.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have played it, how difficult is it?

Is this a pure platformer?

It has a few difficult segments but those segments are relatively short. The difficult is more about speed than precision so after a few attempts you are usually fine.

Most of the game is played at a fairly leisurely pace. I'd recommend saving regularly though (which is very easy to do).

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The difficulty was perfect for me. It gets harder as you improve. It also cuts down on frustration with a good map, checkpoints and less of a need to backtrack if you die at the escape sequences.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
So to clarify, the XBL integration will be available at launch on Sept 27th? The game doesn't have multiplayer does it? If not then cross-play wouldn't apply then. :P

Also, is Moon owned by Microsoft? The Ori site's description is conflicting:

Thanks again for dropping by and answering all of our questions! :)
Yes, XBL Integration will be available from the start.

And no, we're not owned by Microsoft. Microsoft owns the Ori IP, but we're still completely independent.

Is there an easy mode? I love the art

What I want to know. If it has a easy mode I am in.

Yep, we added Easy and Hard Modes into the Definitive Edition! :)

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I love this game, but already own on Xbox with superior d-pad. Good luck getting past escape sequences with joy-cons

The escape sequences are hard but I don't think their donkey Kong hard

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Zapswf0.png

the logo is in a too high position, hope they fix it a bit.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie, don't want to buy this until I know I can get Will of the Wisps on Switch also. Missed opportunity not doing a physical bundle with it's sequel tbqf.

They aren't saying "never" but it looks like there will be at least some kind of wait if a port does happen.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the first game on Switch that will have XBL integration/achievements?

Unless I'm missing something really obvious.

I thought that would be bigger news if so.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
thomasmahler I know nothing is announced and won't be for a long time (if at all), but would Will of the Wisps even be possible on Switch from a technology standpoint? Like, is a 1080/720 60fps port even feasible, or have the pipelines changed a bunch?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
thomasmahler I know nothing is announced and won't be for a long time (if at all), but would Will of the Wisps even be possible on Switch from a technology standpoint? Like, is a 1080/720 60fps port even feasible, or have the pipelines changed a bunch?
Will of the Wisps is a paradigm shift in pretty much every aspect. That said, you don't want me to make any further comments, or Microsoft Ninjas will come and assassinate me and then nobody gets the game.

Nov 1, 2017
Running through the Ginso Tree for the first time was one of the best moments this generation for me. Having everything click in that sequence was perfection.

100% agreed. The Ginso tree (and all of the escape sequences) are great. Super Metroid is as close to a perfect game as you can get in my opinion (and also what i inevitably can't help but compare every Metroidvania to) but the one thing it didn't do great were the escape bits. They are too easy, essentially, i never felt much tension (although i think they're more supposed to be a set-piece than anything actually challenging).

I love the Ori take on these moments because they are hard enough that it's unlikely anyone will finish it on their first try. The Ginso tree especially is great because it is like a test on all the abilities you have gotten at that point in the game and the game makes you prove how well you've mastered it. I struggled a lot at the beginning but now you could sit me down in front of an Xbox at the Ginso Tree escape and i would complete it without breaking a sweat first time, cause I've played Ori enough to have got those mechanics down.

Of course the music is also fantastic and it's culminates in this wonderful rush of adrenaline as you bash your way through the tree up to the top and the player is rewarded with that great cut-scene. For all you Switch players out there, do yourself a favour and grab your best headphones and put them on while you play. You'll thank me later!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is if Will of the Wisps comes to Switch, it'll be the next-gen version of the console in a few years.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
They are too easy, essentially, i never felt much tension (although i think they're more supposed to be a set-piece than anything actually challenging).

That's one thing Zero Mission and Fusion do better than Super. Both do a better job at making you feel like you could lose those sequences.

Of course the music is also fantastic and it's culminates in this wonderful rush of adrenaline as you bash your way through the tree up to the top and the player is rewarded with that great cut-scene. For all you Switch players out there, do yourself a favour and grab your best headphones and put them on while you play. You'll thank me later!

Ginso Tree was the only one I got on the first try. That feeling of going so fast you're certain that you're a second away from going off the rails is tough to top. I didn't find the other, traditional, sequences were able capture that same feeling, but that might just be because I didn't have that unbroken run like I had in the Ginso Tree. I definitely died more than a couple times in those levels.

But for the more atypical moment? The "stealth" escape? That stood out to me more than those other end of level runs. I love how the pace is completely turned on its head with this slow, tense and quiet sequence. For a game without major boss fights it did a great job making the antagonist feel powerful.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The announcement of this game made me go back and try playing ori again on pc after falling off it after an hour several months ago. And I'm glad I did! It's fantastic. I still don't love the attack and how little control you have over it, but everything else is perfection. I loved hollow knight but ori might be better. I love the art and how each area is so much different, unlike hk which is just drab everywhere. And that tree escape was pretty sweet. Gave me super metroid flashbacks. It seems the game is only 6 to 8 hours (I'm about five hours in), which is a perfect length. I'm looking forward to playing more this week.

Game Pass is awesome and helped me to discover another amazing game I might not have otherwise.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
The way they specifically beat around the bush when it comes to this shows me it isn't coming. Even the Microsoft website/blog thing only mentions digitally.
What a waste of potential sales.

Which is really weird, why we knew about the game beforehand was due to a whole saler :P

Shame, Would absolutely love to have a retail version of the game for Switch.