• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
headersss8d.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform: Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch
Release Date:
Xbox One: March 11th, 2016​
PC: April 27th, 2016​
Nintendo Switch: September 27th, 2019​
Price: $19.99/£15.99
Size: ~3.5 GB
Player(s): 1
Format:
Xbox One: Digital/Physical​
PC: Digital/Physical​
Nintendo Switch: Digital​
Developer: Moon Studios
Publisher: Xbox Games Studios. Previously Microsoft Game Studios
OT1: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ori-and-the-blind-forest-definitive-edition-ot-mourning-wood.55388/

gameplayaajrd.png

Ori and the Blind forest is a game in the classic Metroid style. You explore an interconnected world that is gated by your current abilities; the more skills you unlock the more areas you are able to explore. The big twist to the usual formula though is a focus on skilled traversal over standard combat (which the game does include, but rarely requires). The game also features an emotional narrative, superb visuals and an acclaimed soundtrack.

charactersljjjx.png

orit3khz.png

—Ori—
The last spirit guardian of the forest. Ori journeys to discover the cause of the forests dire condition and to reverse it.

sienq4k5s.png

—Sein—
A small sprite who joins Ori early in the game and has a strong connection to the Spirit Tree.

naru6oj5v.png

—Naru—
Naru acts as Ori's foster mother after finding them unconscious during a storm.

kuroynk6v.png

—Kuro—
A mysterious dark owl whose actions will propel Ori onto their journey.

energygojqs.png

Ori's skills are able to be used in combat and to open up new locations in the world but are governed by a limited pool of energy. While the game does have infrequent save stations you are given the option to use up some of Ori's energy to make a Soul Link which will act as a respawn point. Depending on where you are in the world it may be difficult to refill your energy meter leaving you to balance combat resources with these checkpoints.

skilltreecsj79.png

During the game you will come across orbs and defeat monsters, both of which grant experience that can be spent to grow Ori's base abilities via three different branches of the ability tree: efficiency, utility and combat. These abilities include making collectables visible on the map, being able to breathe underwater indefinitely and increasing the power of Sein's attack.

Note: expanding the ability tree is not crucial to the completion of the game and can be skipped entirely if you wish to challenge yourself and go after the achievement for completing the game with your base stats.

switchfaqrnk3a.png

Isn't this a Microsoft game? How is it on Switch?
"Ori is built by Moon Studios, which is an independent, external studio. They came to us with a desire to bring the original Ori to the Switch. We thought that made sense, and we're happy to work with them to enable them to bring that to Switch."

Is there a demo available?
Yes! Progress and achievements also carry over into the full release. You can download it here.

How does the game perform on the platform? Are there any content differences?
The game runs at a full 720p@60fps while in handheld mode as well as 1080p@60fps while docked. Also, thanks to optimizations done to engine for Will of the Wisps, Ori's sprites are now rendered at 60fps instead of 30.

There are no content differences between this release and the "Definitive Edition" released on Xbox One and PC in 2016.

Are there plans for a physical release on Switch?
Nothing has been announced at the time of writing; it's apparently up to Microsoft.
Not ignoring these posts on purpose, I just honestly don't know. It's in Microsofts hands.

So the game features Xbox Live on Switch. What does this mean?
This means, if you choose to enable it, you can unlock Xbox Live achievements for the game on your Nintendo Switch. This achievement list is independent of previous release from 2016 so your progress will not carry over if you've played the game before on XB1 or PC.

Can I carry my progress over from the Xbox or PC version to the Switch release?
No.

Will the sequel, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, come to Nintendo Switch?
Nothing has been announced aside from Microsoft reiterating that Ori and the Will of the Wisps is still going to launch exclusively on Xbox One and PC. Note: Ori and the Blind Forest is a complete story and does not rely on any narrative hooks for the sequel.

What time will the preload unlock?
Going off previous, third party, releases it will likely unlock sometime around 12pm Eastern/9am Pacific on the 27th.

generalfaqgykw5.png

What's new in the Definitive Edition release?

—Added difficulty modes—
Play through the game on a new easy mode or, if seeking a greater challenge, tackle the new hard and single life difficulty modes.

—New story content—
Discover the origins of Ori's adoptive parent Naru.

—New environments—
Explore two new areas of Nibel, Black Root Burrows and Lost Grove, each with a new visual presentation and play mechanics.

—Two new abilities—
Dash and Light Burst.

—Additional music tracks—
New tracks by the original game's composer, Gareth Coker.

—Fast travel—
Travel large distances in the blink of an eye with the new fast travel system.

—Improved backtracking—
Return to areas once locked off to find any missed collectables to go for that 100% completion rate. You can also continue playing after completing the game.

—Improved display options—
The game now supports a full 21:9 ultrawide aspect ratio support for PC.

—New making of video content—

I heard this game is pretty difficult? Is that the case?
Ori and the Blind Forest does feature some difficult sequences in which you have to traverse through challenging environments at a fast pace in a single attempt. If you find these too difficult the added easy option will introduce checkpoints to help you along.

What happens when I die?
You go back to the most recent save/checkpoint. There are no penalties beyond that.

In the event something goes wrong with my playthrough is there a fallback option?
While in the menu you can move 'up' on your file to access a previous save.

How long is the game?
Like other games in this genre it can vary wildly depending on your playstyle, but the general ballpark is somewhere around the 8 hour mark for a first playthrough.

Is there any reason why I'd want to play the original version of the game over the Definitive Edition?
I suppose for the sake of curiosity? Everything is better in the Definitive Edition of the game so it's the version to play.

Is the game enhanced on Xbox One X?
No.

If I buy the game on Xbox One do I get the PC version and vice-versa?
No. The Definitive Edition of Ori was released before the "Play Anywhere" program was introduced.

Cross-save between Xbox One and PC?
Only for the Windows 10 and Xbox One versions, yes.

Linux support?
No, but the game has a Platinum rating for Proton compatibility.

Game Pass?
Yes, on both PC (Windows Store) and Xbox One.

Ultrawide support on PC?
Yes. This was added in the Definitive Edition re-release.
y86DOVm.png

Uncapped framerate on PC?
You can disable Vsync to get beyond the 60fps cap but it will cause some minor audio/visual desynchronization and the pre-rendered sprites will still render at their original framerate. More details can be found here.

media3uknk.png

*Click screens for full display

reviewamjh3.png

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | Switch
Opencritic

Nintendo World Report: 9/10
While I could pick apart some specific nagging problems in Ori and the Blind Forest, whether it's the combat or tiny platforming problems, my lasting memory of this recent replay and my previous Xbox One playthrough a few years ago is just the high moments. The bliss of exploring this world, combined with the deft storytelling and dazzling artwork, make for an enthralling adventure that stands tall as one of the modern classics of the Metroid-esque genre.

Nintendo Insider 10/10
Ori and Blind Forest: Definitive Edition is one of the best games on the Nintendo Switch and is a must-own. It's an exceptional Metroidvania that successfully blends elements of the platforming genre to create an experience unlike any other. With beautiful visuals, an imaginative setting, flawless gameplay, charming characters, powerful soundtrack, and an emotional narrative, Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition is one of the best games in the Nintendo Switch software library.

linkslmjyi.png

Special Thanks to Levi Szekeres for the font

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The Switch demo was really damn good. I knew basically nothing about this until I played that, now I can't wait to proceed beyond the demo tomorrow.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best games this generation. Got it pre-ordered and can't wait to play through it again.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I probably won't double-dip, but I highly recommend this for anyone who hasn't played Ori yet.
And from what I've heard, the Switch version is a triumph in porting, which is great for anyone who would want to play this on the go.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I can't bring myself to double dip when I have the Xbox version sitting right there, but I envy those playing this for the first time.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
lovely OP, Dancrane212

This is my first pre-load on switch and I'm super bummed I can't play it at midnight EST (even if I have already beat it on PC lol)

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the demo not really expecting anything.. and wow this game is pretty damn good. If I win the raffle, then that's great, but if not I'll definitely be picking this up.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love the look, sound and play of the demo... cannot wait for this.

~17 hours to go...

Oct 31, 2017
Sooo any word on why this isn't working? Release date 27th, it's now half 7 in the morning and I still can't access it. Not allowed to play yet. Looks like dragon quest is good to go?

edit: just seen the above posts... it's kinda bullshit to lock it to us times even on the eu store. Clearly not all third parties either. Gahh I won't be able to connect to the internet later either to pass the check! Guess this will have to wait until Monday

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Sooo any word on why this isn't working? Release date 27th, it's now half 7 in the morning and I still can't access it. Not allowed to play yet. Looks like dragon quest is good to go?

edit: just seen the above posts... it's kinda bullshit to lock it to us times even on the eu store. Clearly not all third parties either. Gas ahh I won't be able to connect to the internet later either to pass the check! Guess this will have to wait until Monday
DQXI S is published by Nintendo in the west, so it unlocks at midnight. Third party published games unlock at the usual eShop update time. It's dumb.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Double-dipping on this game, it's that good. Out of all the games I missed playing on my Xbox, this one topped the list for me. Play it people!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Once i'm done with Link's Awakening, i'm gonna be all over this game.

One of the few games i really envied Xbox owners for.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I don't think I will double dip (because of all the other games coming up) but it sure was an excellent game. Those who haven't played it are in for a treat.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo UK possibly operating on GMT and not BST, in other words maybe it'll release at 1pm?

Edit: it didn't

Last edited:

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty incredible that it has still not unlock, feels like we're ten years in the past...

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
So happy to be getting this on Switch. Should we assume that Will of the wisps will eventually come to switch as well?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the amazing OP @Dancrane212! :)

No problem, it's an easy thing to make a good looking thread from a great looking game!

So happy to be getting this on Switch. Should we assume that Will of the wisps will eventually come to switch as well?

Possibly. The circumstances given in the OP on why the first game is coming to Switch could also apply to Will of the Wisps (Moon being an external studio and such), but it's not a surefire thing at the moment.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish than this had cross save with the one version, I want an excuse to buy it, but I don't want to have separate saves