• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I mean thats kinda Ori its story. One of the best games this gen and it has "only" has a score of 8.8 on MC

It is a little funny how it's 88 across all 4 platforms/releases. Maybe the Switch release can break the trend.

Another thing people maybe don't notice immediately is that Ori's sprites were animated at 30fps on Xbox/PC, but for Switch we were actually able to update the animations to 60fps due to all the optimizations, so technically Ori actually even animates a bit smoother on Switch than on the other platforms :)

Still holding out a torch for an XB1X update. Will of the Wisps already has me on the cusp of making that jump to a 4k set.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Keep in mind that we've been working with our engine for a good 10 years now and went through multiple releases and a sequel now. A lot of the optimizations we did for Will of the Wisps ended up in the Blind Forest version for Switch, so that was a nice side-effect.

Another thing people maybe don't notice immediately is that Ori's sprites were animated at 30fps on Xbox/PC, but for Switch we were actually able to update the animations to 60fps due to all the optimizations, so technically Ori actually even animates a bit smoother on Switch than on the other platforms :)
You did an awesome job. The game is truely impressive technically.
I never played the original version, but i loved the Switch demo.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I loved the original. Does this still have those insanely hard difficulty spikes? Like the one where you're climbing out of the tree while its flooding?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I absolutely love Ori, but I get why it doesn't fit some people's idea of what a metroidvania should be due to how linear it is, you always know where you have to go and you rarely revisit locations or do any backtracking. Exploration is really not its forte, it's more like a tour through (amazingly looking, beautifully designed) locations in an interconnected world, which can lead to disappointment if you're expecting having to do any deep exploration or any sort of branching path decision-making. It's the same "issue" some people have with Metroid Fusion (also an outstanding game, IMO).

That said, again, I adore Ori. It has some of the best traversal mechanics in any game ever. Can't wait to replay it, and specially can't wait for the sequel.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I still wouldn't quite call it one, given how you're generally just moving towards an objective marker rather than looking for where to go next. In my mind that makes it feel like a "linear" level with optional offshoots rather than an exploration-based metroidvania world.

Definitely not a knock at the game, as I still really enjoyed it, but that enjoyment was largely unrelated the vestigial metroidvania elements rather than because of them.
I absolutely love Ori, but I get why it doesn't fit some people's idea of what a metroidvania should be due to how linear it is, you always know where you have to go and you rarely revisit locations or do any backtracking. Exploration is really not its forte, it's more like a tour through (amazingly looking, beautifully designed) locations in an interconnected world, which can lead to disappointment if you're expecting having to do any deep exploration or any sort of branching path decision-making. It's the same "issue" some people have with Metroid Fusion (also an outstanding game, IMO).

That said, again, I adore Ori. It has some of the best traversal mechanics in any game ever. Can't wait to replay it, and specially can't wait for the sequel.
You can't see how to get to the objective markers though, because there's no map showing around them. So you have to explore and uncover more of the map to figure out how to get there, and it's never an obvious or direct route. It's no less "linear" than other Metroidvanias. In all of them your progress is still bound by your abilities and the set order you have to retrieve them by design. And as with other Metroidvanias, you will still need to do plenty of exploration and backtracking for other aspects of the game, like increasing your ability tree to power up and make it easier to get past the more difficult sections of the game.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You can't see how to get to the objective markers though, because there's no map showing around them. So you have to explore and uncover more of the map to figure out how to get there, and it's never an obvious or direct route. It's no less "linear" than other Metroidvanias. In all of them your progress is still bound by your abilities and the set order you have to retrieve them by design. And as with other Metroidvanias, you will still need to do plenty of exploration and backtracking for other aspects of the game, like increasing your ability tree to power up and make it easier to get past the more difficult sections of the game.
It's been a while since I played the game, but I do remember thinking that after I finished and not having had to do much backtracking or exploration or ever being lost, and it stands in contrast with some of my favorite "exploration-heavy" metroidvanias like SotN, Super Metroid and Hollow Knight. Again, it absolutely is a metroidvania, I wouldn't ever argue against that because of the way progress is gated based on abilities, just it's a somewhat linear one. I wouldn't even call that a pro or a con for buying/playing the game (which everyone absolutely should), just an observation.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I mean compare Ori to Hollow Knight, where many of the upgrades can be gotten in any order or are even optional, there are large sections of the game that are completely optional and are just there for exploration's sake, there are real boss battles, and the only time a character takes your map and marks objectives on it they give you three choices. I just don't think it makes sense to label those two games as the same genre when they're going for such different things.

For the record, I also struggle with labeling Metroid Fusion and Order of Ecclesia as "real" metroidvanias (despite also enjoying both games) for similar reasons, so maybe I just have very high requirements for the genre.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I mean compare Ori to Hollow Knight, where many of the upgrades can be gotten in any order or are even optional, there are large sections of the game that are completely optional and are just there for exploration's sake, there are real boss battles, and the only time a character takes your map and marks objectives on it they give you three choices. I just don't think it makes sense to label those two games as the same genre when they're going for such different things.

For the record, I also struggle with labeling Metroid Fusion and Order of Ecclesia as "real" metroidvanias (despite also enjoying both games) for similar reasons, so maybe I just have very high requirements for the genre.
Fair points, all subjective I suppose.

It could be argued that the term "Metroidvania" at this point isn't used as a genre at all in itself, but merely used as a way to describe the level design. After all you can have pure platformers, shooters, FPS games, even potentially driving games which could use the Metroidvania design template. I've seen some people even calling "Control" a Metroidvania (albeit I think that goes too far) and obviously Respawn describing the upcoming Fallen Order as such.

If Ori isn't a Metroidvania that's fine, but it's certainly not a traditional linear platformer either. Perhaps it could be argued it falls nicely in the middle.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
This come out tomorrow, yeah? This month is flying by. I'm still torn on waiting for a physical release, just like Cuphead. Surely it's happening, even if things are hush at the moment.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
The demo ran like a dream. I really want to get this on Switch but I think I'll hold out for a sale since I've already beaten it multiple times on Xbox. I'm also very excited for those who get to experience this for the first time!

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Fair points, all subjective I suppose.

It could be argued that the term "Metroidvania" at this point isn't used as a genre at all in itself, but merely used as a way to describe the level design. After all you can have pure platformers, shooters, FPS games, even potentially driving games which could use the Metroidvania design template. I've seen some people even calling "Control" a Metroidvania (albeit I think that goes too far) and obviously Respawn describing the upcoming Fallen Order as such.

If Ori isn't a Metroidvania that's fine, but it's certainly not a traditional linear platformer either. Perhaps it could be argued it falls nicely in the middle.
Oh yeah, I'd definitely call it a cinematic platformer with metroidvania elements or something like that. I'm glad we've reached the point where tons of games pick and chose aspects of other genres to use where ever, but it makes classifying these games increasingly esoteric and involved. Thankfully my favorite past time is arguing about semmantics on the internet.

(Note to self: future post idea, giant map of all the big genres with sub-genre regions and games peppered throughout, like those political axes graphs)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Oh yeah, I'd definitely call it a cinematic platformer with metroidvania elements or something like that. I'm glad we've reached the point where tons of games pick and chose aspects of other genres to use where ever, but it makes classifying these games increasingly esoteric and involved. Thankfully my favorite past time is arguing about semmantics on the internet.

(Note to self: future post idea, giant map of all the big genres with sub-genre regions and games peppered throughout, like those political axes graphs)
I would love to see that map :)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Insider (10/10):
Ori and Blind Forest: Definitive Edition is one of the best games on the Nintendo Switch and is a must-own. It's an exceptional Metroidvania that successfully blends elements of the platforming genre to create an experience unlike any other. With beautiful visuals, an imaginative setting, flawless gameplay, charming characters, powerful soundtrack, and an emotional narrative, Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition is one of the best games in the Nintendo Switch software library.

Nintendo Wire (9/10):
Ori and the Blind Forest is without a doubt one of the prettiest games ever made, with lush backdrops, silken animation, and heartfelt tenderness. While not revolutionary in design, it dazzles in beauty and splendor like few other games can, making it an easy recommendation for any Switch owner. A few quibbles aside, it's one of the best Metroidvanias available on the system, and a great way to give the genre a try for yourself. I can only hope that the imminent sequel finds its way to the console as soon as possible.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
"One of the best games in the Switch library"

cant say I disagree! Congrats to the team on what looks like a very nice release!

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
If you haven't played this you should. Preferably on a TV because the artwork is so good and you may miss it on the small screen.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
I agree with the people saying 8.5 is a joke. This game is a 10 all day long. Why has this come to Nintendo switch anyway ?

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Still holding out for a physical version. Although, I did just finish Links Awakening, so I am ready for another game.....

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm new to switch pre-loads folks - do they unlock at midnight EST like PSN?

Absolutely can't wait to play this on my television, played it on Steam and it was one of my GOTYs that year

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I had bought this game back around 2016 on xbox, I didn't get around to completing it until earlier this year. Such an amazing game, visually stunning along with the sound quality.
I'm excited for the next game coming.
Highly recommended.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear about the performance. Seems like the entire conversation about the Switch lately has been about that and drift (understandably so). Will be picking this up, even though I already have it elsewhere.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you haven't played this you should. Preferably on a TV because the artwork is so good and you may miss it on the small screen.

It was hard enough to see what was happening on a big TV with all the visual effects and indistinguishable elements of foreground/background layers. I can't imagine how difficult it'll be to see everything clearly in handheld mode.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How is this 60fps and Bloodstained is 30 with severe cut downs?
The engine I imagine. It was posted earlier in the thread by the dev that they'd be working on the engine for the last decade or so, sounds like its super duper optimised and they'd naturally be ultra familiar with it by now.

I can't wait to get the game, I've played it on Xbox One but like Cuphead I'd love to own the game on my Switch as well. Its such an amazing game that I don't mind double dipping on it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it will! It's a bit weird to see your Xbox Live Gamertag on Switch, but yup, it's all working Day 1 :)

Wouldn't worry too much about that, it's a bittersweet story that'll not JUST make you cry. I'd like to think it's hopeful and life-confirming.

Loved the first game. Can't wait for the sequel. Ori is a masterpiece. Keep it up.