• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been playing the full game for the last few hours thanks to MS. If anyone is worried about perf or anything like that, fear not. The game runs great on Switch.

This is the first time in recent memory I've been able to just enjoy a game without being annoyed by hitches and bizarre framerate issues. It's a great "before bed" kind of game due to the visuals and music. And by great I mean I should have been sleeping 3 hours ago but I'm too busy playing lol

Highly recommend Ori! It feels perfect on a portable.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing game. Looking forward to playing through it again for more achievements.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've been playing the full game for the last few hours thanks to MS. If anyone is worried about perf or anything like that, fear not. The game runs great on Switch.

This is the first time in recent memory I've been able to just enjoy a game without being annoyed by hitches and bizarre framerate issues. It's a great "before bed" kind of game due to the visuals and music. And by great I mean I should have been sleeping 3 hours ago but I'm too busy playing lol

Highly recommend Ori! It feels perfect on a portable.

Its a truly incredible game.

great fit for Switch

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I was always told that Ori was a Metroidvania first and foremost, so when I finally played it on PC, I did not enjoy it at all because I didn't find it to be a good one of those. Now I'm being told it's platformer with slight Metroidvania elements?

Honestly, as silly as it might sound, that designation might be enough for me to enjoy it more this time around.

gizio

Oct 28, 2017
Demo sold me on the quality of the port, already beaten on the One back in the days, game is a gem, do not miss it (i like the color scheme of the original better though, icon related)

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing it again with my son the other day. He loved it but a wee bit difficult for him. I'll get it for his switch when he is a bit older.

Oct 31, 2017
Man oh man I can't wait to play this finally. Had my eye on it since the xbox release. Hope part 2 comes to the switch not too long after the release too.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play through this absolutely gorgeous-looking Metroid-like this weekend :D

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to get further in Hollow knight before thinking about Ori. Is Ori... easier?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Trying to get further in Hollow knight before thinking about Ori. Is Ori... easier?
Ori has more challenging platforming than HK, whilst HK has more challenging combat and navigation.
Huh, I was always told that Ori was a Metroidvania first and foremost, so when I finally played it on PC, I did not enjoy it at all because I didn't find it to be a good one of those. Now I'm being told it's platformer with slight Metroidvania elements?

Honestly, as silly as it might sound, that designation might be enough for me to enjoy it more this time around.
It's totally a Metroidvania. As in, you explore the world to find new abilities, and then use the new abilities to get to new places in the world where you will find even more new abilities etc. And the map layout, discovery etc. It's a Metroidvania.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say moment to moment gameplay is harder with Ori, but otherwise it is less complex and has more forgiving checkpoints and save system. The escape sequences are brutal though. Think Celeste but even more mechanics and powers.

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
It's totally a Metroidvania. As in, you explore the world to find new abilities, and then use the new abilities to get to new places in the world where you will find even more new abilities etc. And the map layout, discovery etc. It's a Metroidvania.
Oh, I'm not saying it's not a Metroidvania. I just didn't find it a satisfying one. I like my Metroidvania's with either an equipment screen and satisfying combat. Preferably both of those elements, but I'd be OK if one of those cores are done exceptionally well, like, for example, in the case of Guacamelee where it doesn't have an equipment screen but it does excel in its melee combat.

Now that I've watched these reviews and wired my brain to look at Ori as a platformer first and foremost with Metroid-like elements, I might just be able to enjoy it more because I'm not judging it as something I unfairly wished it were.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Oh, I'm not saying it's not a Metroidvania. I just didn't find it a satisfying one. I like my Metroidvania's with either an equipment screen and satisfying combat. Preferably both of those elements, but I'd be OK if one of those cores are done exceptionally well, like, for example, in the case of Guacamelee where it doesn't have an equipment screen but it does excel in its melee combat.

Now that I've watched these reviews and wired my brain to look at Ori as a platformer first and foremost with Metroid-like elements, I might just be able to enjoy it more because I'm not judging it as something I unfairly wished it were.
I'm more a platforming than combat person I suppose. But I think you'll be pleased to know that both combat and the Metroidvania aspect is a much bigger focus of Will of the Wisps, so you'll likely enjoy the sequel more. Blind Forest is one of my favourite games of all time though.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if this sells well enough on Switch whether MS will release the sequel for the system, thats the only thing holding me back on getting this version as I hate franchises being split across different platforms.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't own a Switch, but people have to play this. Easily one of the best games I've played, not this gen, ever.

Just wanted to leave this here :)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Will the Switch version have Xbox Live integration at launch, or is it coming later on? (Not that it matters-- I'm getting it regardless, but I'm curious)

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah Ori I always viewed as a more platforming focused metroidvania. Like it doesn't even do traditional boss fights, it has platforming escape sequences as an alternate to that.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Unfortunately I'm going to pass on this one. I found the combat absolutely dreadful in the demo and while I understand that "it is not the focus", it is still something that exists and I would have to deal with. I don't want to deal with this.
I'm actually more motivated for a second playthrough of Hollow Knight now that I start forgetting it.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not but at the time the trailer of this games was released it hurt me in the feels so bad, as a result i never wanted to play it. Maybe it's time now.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Wow, i bought the collector on pc....i tried the demo on switch...i think i m going to double dips ! this game is so awesome !!

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Will the Switch version have Xbox Live integration at launch, or is it coming later on? (Not that it matters-- I'm getting it regardless, but I'm curious)
Yup, it will! It's a bit weird to see your Xbox Live Gamertag on Switch, but yup, it's all working Day 1 :)

Believe it or not but at the time the trailer of this games was released it hurt me in the feels so bad, as a result i never wanted to play it. Maybe it's time now.
Wouldn't worry too much about that, it's a bittersweet story that'll not JUST make you cry. I'd like to think it's hopeful and life-confirming.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Ori has more challenging platforming than HK, whilst HK has more challenging combat and navigation.

I still wouldn't quite call it one, given how you're generally just moving towards an objective marker rather than looking for where to go next. In my mind that makes it feel like a "linear" level with optional offshoots rather than an exploration-based metroidvania world.

Definitely not a knock at the game, as I still really enjoyed it, but that enjoyment was largely unrelated the vestigial metroidvania elements rather than because of them.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, it will! It's a bit weird to see your Xbox Live Gamertag on Switch, but yup, it's all working Day 1 :)

Wouldn't worry too much about that, it's a bittersweet story that'll not JUST make you cry. I'd like to think it's hopeful and life-confirming.

Does it have cross-save between the one and the switch version?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never really tried hollow knight but I loved bloodstained so much. Hope I will like this one

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda crazy about the performance tho. A non nintendo release has one of the best performance of a game on a switch and its even 60fps. And it still looks great also.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It should honestly be a game that reviews in the mid-90s. Game of the generation along with Celeste and Cup Head.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Kinda crazy about the performance tho. A non nintendo release has one of the best performance of a game on a switch and its even 60fps. And it still looks great also.
Keep in mind that we've been working with our engine for a good 10 years now and went through multiple releases and a sequel now. A lot of the optimizations we did for Will of the Wisps ended up in the Blind Forest version for Switch, so that was a nice side-effect.

Another thing people maybe don't notice immediately is that Ori's sprites were animated at 30fps on Xbox/PC, but for Switch we were actually able to update the animations to 60fps due to all the optimizations, so technically Ori actually even animates a bit smoother on Switch than on the other platforms :)

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Another thing people maybe don't notice immediately is that Ori's sprites were animated at 30fps on Xbox/PC, but for Switch we were actually able to update the animations to 60fps due to all the optimizations, so technically Ori actually even animates a bit smoother on Switch than on the other platforms :)
Excuse my language, but this is fucking neat. Thank you so much!

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Ori's world is just as stunning and captivating as ever, and it comes to Switch without any noticeable compromises.
Sweet!

Umm, wat?

Keep in mind that we've been working with our engine for a good 10 years now and went through multiple releases and a sequel now. A lot of the optimizations we did for Will of the Wisps ended up in the Blind Forest version for Switch, so that was a nice side-effect.

You guys are sorcerers. Seriously. I don't have the foggiest idea how you did it, but "you crazy son of a bitch, you did it."