• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
According to Microsoft's E3 conference, it isn't. Coming to the Xbox Store only.

Which we should be giving Microsoft a hard time for, because they have constantly given the impression that all future MGS published games will be coming to Game Pass.

Didn't they say future announced MGS published games? This game was announced and being developed before that right?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic showing at E3 this year thomasmahler - well done and congrats to the team! The work being put into the game is clearly evident and I can't wait to play. Was really blown away at the visual improvements (the contextual lighting on the environment when Ori is near is amazing) as well as the overhaul to combat. Really can't wait.

Are you guys targeting 4K 60FPS on the One X?

Really hope it's 4k60 on the X.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
I can see a lot of hype for a physical copy online etc

I really hope the devs want to preserve the game and team up like they did with the first game, it's clearly a essential

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Just wanna say you guys did godly work with the blind forest and it was the only game on steam which I ever got all the achievments for. I even got into speedrunning the game which is crazy for me but I didn't break any records :P

I don't wanna ask any spoilery questions, thomasmahler but I'm intrested in knowing more about the gorgeous backgrounds and artsyle in the game. How difficult is it to use? And what kind of process do the artists use to arrive at this consistent high quality?

Mar 17, 2018
Why the hell is this not coming to Steam. I swear to god if it does not ever come to Steam that is purely ridiculous. I don't even have Win 10.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It seems that they copied so much stuff from Hollow Knight despite Thomas talking smack about the game when it came out.

Lmao.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It seems that they copied so much stuff from Hollow Knight despite Thomas talking smack about the game when it came out.

Lmao.
Thought the same, remember him talking not good about HK at the old place.
Anyway, the trailer looked amazing and they seemed to listen about the complaints from the first game. As long as the combat is better, having proper bossfights and a bigger world with more freedom for exploration and progression, I will be happy.
Artstyle and music are of course fantastic.
I bought a xbox one just for the first Ori (no regrets) and can't wait to play the sequel. Keep up the amazing work guys!!!

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
This game was always going to be a day 1 purchase for me. Looks absolutely stunning.

I'd like to ask the developer though if the game will support HDR at all? And if so, will it support it on PC? (So far the X1X Enchanced official list doesn't show it as supporting HDR at all)

I just can't help but think of how amazing it would look on an OLED HDR display.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao.

I don't recall those comments being vindictive or anything. I found the talk about the different levels of pacing between the games to be pretty interesting myself.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall those comments being vindictive or anything. I found the talk about the different levels of pacing between the games to be pretty interesting myself.

It's all fine and good to take inspiration from other games and try to improve on them. But talking smack about them and put them into a bad light then proceeding to straight up copy core elements from it into your own game and call it :

'"We've looked at all the metroidvanias that also came out after Blind Forest right, and we just basically wanted to say hey ya know, how can we even like take it a level futher then that''.

It's a bit shameless if you ask me. I can't blame him tho since Hollow Knight is a terrific game and anyone would prolly try and take stuff from one of the best in the genere.

kinda curious about this
usually indie devs avoid bashing other indie titles

I'm not gonna link anything from the old place but you can look it up in the Ori OT. It's in the very few first pages.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I was so hoping for a release date at E3 but Thomas simply said 2019 to one of the media outlets. IGN it was I believe .But take your time and knock it out of the park, which I'm sure you guys will. In that interview he also said they wanted to make the combat just as good as the platforming was in the first one. I already loved the combat but a even more fleshed out one I welcome with open arms.

HDR was confirmed ,wasn't it? Oh my.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It's all fine and good to take inspiration from other games and try to improve on them. But talking smack about them and put them into a bad light then proceeding to straight up copy core elements from it into your own game and call it :

'"We've looked at all the metroidvanias that also came out after Blind Forest right, and we just basically wanted to say hey ya know, how can we even like take it a level futher then that''.

It's a bit shameless if you ask me. I can't blame him tho since Hollow Knight is a better game then Ori 1 and anyone would prolly try and take stuff from one of the best in the genere.

Despite having followed Hollow Knight closely I hadn't actually played it yet as I was waiting for my KS Switch code so I'm unfamiliar with what exactly is being ripped off from the game. I was under the impression the bigger moments from Hollow Knight were bringing more Rogue and Souls style exploration to the exploratory platform genre. Is it that which is being copied? I also don't see anything wrong with saying that you've looked at other games in the genre, what they brought to the table, and then seeing how you can continue to push the genre forward.

And again, I don't think being part of a discussion about a game, mulling over things you like or don't like, somehow is "talking smack". I find it pretty disappointing how gated developers can be when talking about other recent titles and offering their personal insights, but it's easy to see why that is.

That's the fact sheet from last year. PR from 2018 doesn't have any mention of the game debuting on the Windows 10 store.

Platform: Xbox One Family of Devices and Windows 10 Launch Exclusive

Format: Xbox One family of devices, Windows 10 PCs

Also, material sent to Amazon for their product page describes Will of the Wisps as...

• Available exclusively on Xbox One consoles and Windows 10. (PC hardware requirements may vary for games on Windows 10.)

Could still happen of course, I'm just not as confident as I was last year.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Despite having followed Hollow Knight closely I hadn't actually played it yet as I was waiting for my KS Switch code so what exactly is being ripped off from the game? I was under the impression the bigger moments from Hollow Knight were bringing more Rogue and Souls style exploration to the exploratory platform genre. I also don't see anything wrong with saying that you've looked at other games in the genre, what they brought to the table, and then seeing how you can continue to push the genre forward.

And again, I don't think being part of a discussion about a game, mulling over things you like or don't like, somehow is "talking smack". I find it pretty disappointing how gated developers can be when talking about other recent titles and offering their personal insights, but it's easy to see why that is

Charm System, NPCs, Map System, ''Cornifer'' and even the sword itself looks right out of Hollow Knight.

I'm not gonna list now the ''smack talk'' since everyone can look it up but why even bother going into thsi converesation when you haven't played Hollow Knight or don't actually know the topic at hand?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
That's the fact sheet from last year. PR from 2018 doesn't have any mention of the game debuting on the Windows 10 store.

Yeah, I know. The factsheet is noteworthy as the game wasn't announced as a Win10 launch exclusive, either, and while I can certainly understand being sceptical because Microsoft hasn't done anything before or since to corroborate that piece of information, I guarantee you it's there not in error but because someone was more upfront about release plans than they were supposed to be.

But, hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know. The factsheet is noteworthy as the game wasn't announced as a Win10 launch exclusive, either, and while I can certainly understand being sceptical because Microsoft hasn't done anything before or since to corroborate that piece of information, I guarantee you it's there not in error but because someone was being more upfront about release plans than they were supposed to be.

But, hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Time will tell.

I do recall reading back on GAF around when I pulled up that doc that release plans hadn't been finalized for the game. Perhaps things had been settled since then? Always seems like Microsoft's PC plans are pretty fluid when it comes to Steam.

But yeah, either way we'll find out soon enough.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I do recall reading back on GAF around when I pulled up that doc that release plans hadn't been finalized for the game. Perhaps things had been settled since then? Always seems like Microsoft's PC plans are pretty fluid when it comes to Steam.

But yeah, either way we'll find out soon enough.

Hmm, I'd say the timing debunks that. The game was announced more than a year after Microsoft confirmed (or rather "confirmed") that Quantum Break would not be releasing on Steam and it'd instead be doubling down on the WinStore, so it seems exceedingly unlikely that release plans hadn't crystallised by E3 2017.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Hmm, I'd say the timing debunks that. The game was announced more than a year after Microsoft confirmed (or rather "confirmed") that Quantum Break would not be releasing on Steam and it'd instead be doubling down on the WinStore, so it seems exceedingly unlikely that release plans hadn't crystallised by E3 2017.

State of Decay 2 could still come to Steam too.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Fair point. Even if things were locked in it's not as if Microsoft can't change one way or the other.

Yeah, given a Steam version of the game already exists, I suspect it'll follow in the footsteps of Killer Instinct and release on Steam when all of the DLC is out and Microsoft wants to give the player count a shot in the arm.

I'm still surprised Halo Wars 2 hasn't moved over yet. Was sure it would have been in the cards after the Definitive Edition of the first game launched on Steam and Jez saying as much last year.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Fair point. Even if things were locked in it's not as if Microsoft can't change one way or the other.

Very true.

I'm still surprised Halo Wars 2 hasn't moved over yet. Was sure it would have been in the cards after the Definitive Edition of the first game launched on Steam and Jez saying as much last year.

He kindasorta walked back from that, and for an amusing reason, too, haha:

Jez @ GAF said:
also please take this as a rumor for now, I was drunk when I received the info and now I cannot track down where I got it, but! if it comes to Steam some time in the future remember this thread :')

#projournalism

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Thomas, I asked this earlier but not sure if you saw... spec-wise is this game in line with Blind Forest or will this require a better PC than that?

Hard to answer at this point, but remember that we still have to have the game running at 60fps on the Xbox One S, so while we are adding a lot more bells and whistles to the visuals, we're balancing that out by just optimizing the hell out of the game. We had Unity Source Code access for a while now and use the scripted render pipeline to our advantage - goal is to run all the scenes at 80-90fps with a locked 60fps on console, so that there'll never be a perceivable drop in framerate.

Fantastic showing at E3 this year thomasmahler - well done and congrats to the team! The work being put into the game is clearly evident and I can't wait to play. Was really blown away at the visual improvements (the contextual lighting on the environment when Ori is near is amazing) as well as the overhaul to combat. Really can't wait.

Are you guys targeting 4K 60FPS on the One X?

Yup, that's the goal. We're never gonna ship a game that only runs at 30fps, mostly cause we ourselves don't enjoy what that sacrifice does to gameplay. We're generally in a pretty good spot perf-wise already, but there's still some nice optimizations left to do :)

Why the hell is this not coming to Steam. I swear to god if it does not ever come to Steam that is purely ridiculous. I don't even have Win 10.

I dont get where all these faux facts are coming from. We haven't announced support for platforms other than Xbox One and Win10 yet (which are obvious ;)), but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Truth is, we're still trying to figure all of that out ourselves!

It's a bit shameless if you ask me. I can't blame him tho since Hollow Knight is a terrific game and anyone would prolly try and take stuff from one of the best in the genere.

Hm, maybe you read my comments as way more inflammatory than they actually were meant to be. I shared my initial opinion on Hollow Knight back then after playing it for 5-6 hours and thought the pacing was all over the place, which I still think is the case. Pacing-wise, I don't think Hollow Knight works as nicely as Nintendo games have in the past and I also thought we did a better job on that in Blind Forest than HK did, but hey, that's just my personal opinion :)

And hey, I did post again after I had completed Hollow Knight and thought it was a great game overall. Was it perfect? Nope, far from it, but it's definitely a nicely put together title and I'm eager to re-play it on Switch now again. To me, Hollow Knight and Blind Forest aren't all that comparable - Ori's platforming was way more elaborate, whereas HK focused more on combat and bosses.

Truth to be told, we didn't really consciously copy anything from Hollow Knight. The Spirit Shard system we have in Will of the Wisps is just a natural evolution of the Ability Tree we had in Ori and the Blind Forest: Since the game is quite a bit more open now, we wanted to tie getting abilities to the exploration aspects more, so we got rid of the 'In order to get this ability, you have to have these other abilities already!' Thing. Also, the Spirit Shard System allowed us to introduce upgrades, which turned out to be super cool, since it gives the players even more ways of really honing in on whatever they deem fun. For example, one thing we showed in the demo was the 'Splinter' shard, a super useful shard for players who use projectile weapons and spells, since it enhances how many projectiles get fired per shot. If players invest more and more into that shard, the results can become quite crazy, so while you only shoot a single projectile with the Spirit Arc at first, with a fully upgrades Splinter Shard, you actually shoot 5 arrows at once. There are tons and tons of these shards in the game, so I'm hoping that players will come up with super crazy ways to play through the game again and again and watching people play the game on streams should be more enjoyable since every player will now be able to pick their own very custom way of playing it :)

On the combat side, we had tests of Ori using 'weapons' as far back as 2012 - James did a bunch of animation tests back then, but we decided in the end to really focus on the platforming for Blind Forest and came up with platforming abilities that'd be used for combat as well, which is how Bash became a thing, etc.

The same is true for the NPCs and the Quests: Those things were already discussed during Blind Forest, but were cut cause it was super expensive to add those things in a way that'd hit our 'Moon Studios Quality bar' - So since we're doing a sequel and the budget is a lot higher than Blind Forest's budget, adding NPCs and meaningful Sidequests was super high on the list of things we wanted to focus on this time around :)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
thomasmahler great to see you back again. Hope you enjoyed E3 and survived it? Haha. Ori was a great showing and i cant wait.
You say above that you are still trying the "figure things out" related to platforms etc. Is Gamepass day one is also part of that figuring it out? As it stood out in the briefing Ori was the only one missing with a Gamepass announcement from the exclusive side of things. Again great to have you back and are willing to talk to us about your game. Its always awesome to see.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons and tons of these shards in the game, so I'm hoping that players will come up with super crazy ways to play through the game again and again and watching people play the game on streams should be more enjoyable since every player will now be able to pick their own very custom way of playing it :)

Here's hoping for some fun achievements to encourage different playstyles then; I had a great time doing the no upgrade run for the first game.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
thomasmahler great to see you back again. Hope you enjoyed E3 and survived it? Haha. Ori was a great showing and i cant wait.
You say above that you are still trying the "figure things out" related to platforms etc. Is Gamepass day one is also part of that figuring it out? As it stood out in the briefing Ori was the only one missing with a Gamepass announcement from the exclusive side of things. Again great to have you back and are willing to talk to us about your game. Its always awesome to see.

Thanks! I'm finally back in Vienna, those 14 hour flights are brutal, so I'm glad to be back :)

And yeah, it is. Our Ori deal was signed before GamePass was a thing, so now we're still trying to figure out with Microsoft what that actually means for us. We were heads-down on finishing all the E3 stuff in the past couple of weeks, so we just need to sit with MS and figure things out.

Here's hoping for some fun achievements to encourage different playstyles then; I had a great time doing the no upgrade run for the first game.

Hehe, yeah, count on that ;)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I'm finally back in Vienna, those 14 hour flights are brutal, so I'm glad to be back :)

And yeah, it is. Our Ori deal was signed before GamePass was a thing, so now we're still trying to figure out with Microsoft what that actually means for us. We were heads-down on finishing all the E3 stuff in the past couple of weeks, so we just need to sit with MS and figure things out.

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

Great to get some clarity on this. I'll be playing the game on day 1 whatever happens.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I dont get where all these faux facts are coming from. We haven't announced support for platforms other than Xbox One and Win10 yet (which are obvious ;)), but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Truth is, we're still trying to figure all of that out ourselves!

danqxp8.gif

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Hehe, yeah, count on that ;)
Welcome back. I enjoyed watching your interviews.

Biggest thing though, thanks for listening to the fans and improving combat. No doubt this game is gonna be Nintendo-level perfect.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All about the money, as expected. Considering Microsoft probably doesn't want to walk back on their every MSS game on GP day 1 stance, a couple of million might go to Moon for putting it on Game Pass. MS might even face some legal issues if they don't put it up there since that's what subscribers were told they would get.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hard to answer at this point, but remember that we still have to have the game running at 60fps on the Xbox One S, so while we are adding a lot more bells and whistles to the visuals, we're balancing that out by just optimizing the hell out of the game. We had Unity Source Code access for a while now and use the scripted render pipeline to our advantage - goal is to run all the scenes at 80-90fps with a locked 60fps on console, so that there'll never be a perceivable drop in framerate.

Yup, that's the goal. We're never gonna ship a game that only runs at 30fps, mostly cause we ourselves don't enjoy what that sacrifice does to gameplay. We're generally in a pretty good spot perf-wise already, but there's still some nice optimizations left to do :)

Hm, maybe you read my comments as way more inflammatory than they actually were meant to be. I shared my initial opinion on Hollow Knight back then after playing it for 5-6 hours and thought the pacing was all over the place, which I still think is the case. Pacing-wise, I don't think Hollow Knight works as nicely as Nintendo games have in the past and I also thought we did a better job on that in Blind Forest than HK did, but hey, that's just my personal opinion :)

And hey, I did post again after I had completed Hollow Knight and thought it was a great game overall. Was it perfect? Nope, far from it, but it's definitely a nicely put together title and I'm eager to re-play it on Switch now again. To me, Hollow Knight and Blind Forest aren't all that comparable - Ori's platforming was way more elaborate, whereas HK focused more on combat and bosses.

Truth to be told, we didn't really consciously copy anything from Hollow Knight. The Spirit Shard system we have in Will of the Wisps is just a natural evolution of the Ability Tree we had in Ori and the Blind Forest: Since the game is quite a bit more open now, we wanted to tie getting abilities to the exploration aspects more, so we got rid of the 'In order to get this ability, you have to have these other abilities already!' Thing. Also, the Spirit Shard System allowed us to introduce upgrades, which turned out to be super cool, since it gives the players even more ways of really honing in on whatever they deem fun. For example, one thing we showed in the demo was the 'Splinter' shard, a super useful shard for players who use projectile weapons and spells, since it enhances how many projectiles get fired per shot. If players invest more and more into that shard, the results can become quite crazy, so while you only shoot a single projectile with the Spirit Arc at first, with a fully upgrades Splinter Shard, you actually shoot 5 arrows at once. There are tons and tons of these shards in the game, so I'm hoping that players will come up with super crazy ways to play through the game again and again and watching people play the game on streams should be more enjoyable since every player will now be able to pick their own very custom way of playing it :)

On the combat side, we had tests of Ori using 'weapons' as far back as 2012 - James did a bunch of animation tests back then, but we decided in the end to really focus on the platforming for Blind Forest and came up with platforming abilities that'd be used for combat as well, which is how Bash became a thing, etc.

The same is true for the NPCs and the Quests: Those things were already discussed during Blind Forest, but were cut cause it was super expensive to add those things in a way that'd hit our 'Moon Studios Quality bar' - So since we're doing a sequel and the budget is a lot higher than Blind Forest's budget, adding NPCs and meaningful Sidequests was super high on the list of things we wanted to focus on this time around :)

Is an Ori and the Blind Forest One X patch possible for after you shipped the next game? Or too much work because assets were not built for 4K?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Hey there, cool that you actually replied.

On your first impressions back then in he old Ori OT it seems to me that you've complained about the pacing of the game while it was you who got stuck and didn't know where to go or how to make any progess and took it hard on the game itself. That was also in the real first maybe 2-3 hours of the game where it's mostly ''linear'' and you can't go anywhere else but on the right path. Strange to judge pacing based on the first 10% of the game or even less.

There was also some wierd complains about the game not giving you enough info on which zones shoud you go and whathot, which seems a bit strange to me asking for hand holding in a Metroidvania.

As for the ''improvments'' in Ori 2 you legit cannot tell me you didn't take things like the Map System or Cornifer style NPCs from Hollow Knight or using the Charm System as a inspiration for Spirit Shards. When I saw the 15 min Demo from IGN and saw the map NPC and ''Do you want to purchase a map for this area?'' my mind just jumped thorugh immediately at HK.

Also I agree that Ori 1 and HK are not that comperatble at all since they're on a diffrent focus but at least give some credit where it's due. Team Cherry made an incredible game and they do deserve some recognition.

Anyhow I'm excited for Ori 2 and can't wait to play it. Wish you guys over at Moon Studios the best.

Last edited: