• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not super far in, but I don't think I'm jazzed about the changes. I wasn't expecting it to be kind of a completely different game, I guess. So far, it feels like movement has been severely de-emphasized in favor of combat. There's definitely a lot of Hollow Knight in there, which for me is not really a good thing. I'll keep playing to completion, but I am somewhat disappointed that so far it seems to be going in a completely different direction instead of elaborating on the first game's mechanics.

Also, I guess I don't remember what happened to your little spirit buddy at the end of Ori 1? I just barely beat Ori 1 like yesterday, and I already miss her.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Ok, it seems that I was able to fix most if not all stutters on my PC. Here's the deal though:

- even with a 2080TI / 3900X, the game would drop to 80 FPS (minimum) in some random areas. It happens at the exact same spots in several different locations across the map, so my take is that the engine is loading assets and the framerate takes a hit while its doing it.
- G-Sync on or off doesn't make a difference for me, same thing with exclusive full screen forced via launch options (Steam version).
- Just like the first Ori, I was only able to fix my stutters when lowering my refresh rate to the minimum FPS I previously identified during gameplay, in my case, 80 FPS.
- For instance, if you're running your monitor at 120 HZ but caping your framerate to say, 80 via a framerate limiter (according to your minimum FPS findings) you will get stutters. You need to manually lower the refresh rate and then you can cap for perfect frame times or just let v-sync do its thing.
- In-game v-sync feels smoother than forced via GPU drivers.

That's it from my side. Probably works with the Windows Store version as well. Give it a try.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also, I guess I don't remember what happened to your little spirit buddy at the end of Ori 1? I just barely beat Ori 1 like yesterday, and I already miss her.

Sein is the core of the Spirit Tree, and was return to the tree itself by Kuro at the end of Ori and the Blind Forest.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's still stuttering but I'm still playing with different settings. So far the most stable / less stuttery is vsync controlled by application, no FPS cap vir RT and G-Sync off. Still evaluating - problem is that sometimes I'm not sure if it's asset loading or frame pacing.
I was having the same issue. I play on Gamepass. At first the opening cinematics i was getting a lot of frame pacing issues. I got out of the game, overclocked my CPU a bit (Ryzen 1700 to 3.5Ghz) and then relaunched at 1080p instead of 1440p and it went away. Then I bosted back to 1440p and it was smooth as well. So not sure what it was but so far no more frame pacing issues.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not a fan of the side quests so far. They seem to be needless padding. 'Go here get that, give to him'.

Why fill out the game with this stuff? The first game had a perfect length.

I really like it. Unlike open world games, fetch quests really work in platformers. I never 100% games but Ori wotw might be an exception. The platforming and challenges are so good.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Absolutely stunning game so far. Played way more than I should have last night (working from home this week is spoiling me)

On Steam version, only issues I have is the audio stuttering from time to time, and also a bug in the

Wellspring
chase. There's a hollowed out wheel I'm supposed to fall into, but a few times when I approached it, it was solid. I must note this started happening after I died and had to repeat the sequence- so I already knew how it was supposed to play out.

Quitting to the main menu and reloading fixed the issue, though.

I ended up quitting after repeatedly failing my second Spirit Trial (the one with all the grapples in the end, in the middle of the Marsh)

I'll certainly get back into it tonight though.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Ok, it seems that I was able to fix most if not all stutters on my PC. Here's the deal though:

- even with a 2080TI / 3900X, the game would drop to 80 FPS (minimum) in some random areas. It happens at the exact same spots in several different locations across the map, so my take is that the engine is loading assets and the framerate takes a hit while its doing it.
- G-Sync on or off doesn't make a difference for me, same thing with exclusive full screen forced via launch options (Steam version).
- Just like the first Ori, I was only able to fix my stutters when lowering my refresh rate to the minimum FPS I previously identified during gameplay, in my case, 80 FPS.
- For instance, if you're running your monitor at 120 HZ but caping your framerate to say, 80 via a framerate limiter (according to your minimum FPS findings) you will get stutters. You need to manually lower the refresh rate and then you can cap for perfect frame times or just let v-sync do its thing.
- In-game v-sync feels smoother than forced via GPU drivers.

That's it from my side. Probably works with the Windows Store version as well. Give it a try.
Quoting myself here to confirm - definitely no stutters anymore, at all. Quite happy now, time to enjoy this masterpiece :)

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
I seem to be able to dash through these moving spike things(right through their spikes, not above or below) Is this intentional? You can't dash through enemies and whatnot so I thought it might be a bug thomasmahler
YRkGoTm.jpg

Last edited:

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Not sure if it's a bug of intentional...

So my base attack is 8 (when i'm at more than half health cause i'm using a skill that increases my damage by 30% when I have more than 50% health) and I have the fully upgraded skill that makes it so I have a 30% chance of increasing my attack by 50%.

However, when it proccs, my attack does 10 damage, shouldn't it be 12? Or are all the skills / passives based on the initial attack power you start the game with (which is 4 iirc)?

Vetinari

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Playing on Game Pass and on the first level : after dying, I find myself spawned behind a locked door.
I hope the patch will fix this otherwise I will have to start all over again.
My advice : wait for the game to be fully patched because it's rough.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Playing on Game Pass and on the first level : after dying, I find myself spawned behind a locked door.
I hope the patch will fix this otherwise I will have to start all over again.
My advice : wait for the game to be fully patched because it's rough.

You can load previous saves, and you can also fast travel from anywhere on the map.

MigElite

Sep 19, 2019
I played yesterday around 4 hours and didn't have a single bug so I think I've been lucky. The ultrawide support is insane!

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So after a Windows update I can no longer play the game.

Whenever I select Start Game, Options, or anything from the main menu it just asks me if I want to Quit Y/N. Whichever I select just brings me back to the main menu. I can't start the game, and the only way to close the game is to Alt + F4. Fuck.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know where the config file is located for the Game Pass version?
Apparantly setting the game to fullscreen manually may fix the awful stuttering.

Gods do I HATE windows store games.

Oct 25, 2017
New bug: After patching W10/GP version last night, the map is zoomed all the way out every time I bring it up, rather than remembering how zoomed it was the previous time I looked at it.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, for people that think Sentry is underwhelming as a spell - You can actually cast 3 of them at a time. Upgrade it and it's one of the most powerful spells out there. Always experiment :)
I tried it to deal with a common flying enemy. Had to use like 9 of them to kill it. Seems to use a lot of energy for not a lot of damage.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
According to PCGamingWiki, it is:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.Patagonia_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Local\Ori and the Will of The Wisps
Unfortunately I tried that and there are only three files two text controller mapping files and one settings bin file which I don't know how to open.

To be honest this is really annoying me.
This is the exact reason for transparancy with your game files.
Goddamn Microsoft.

Also the game doesn't seem to be operating in proper fullscreen.
It says its fullscreen but its actually borderless windowed mode.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The spirit trial runs are my shit.

My Wellspring trial time is 33.132 if anyone wants to beat it. It looks like most people over it figured out a weird infinite jumping glitch that I don't know how to do so I'll leave off here lol

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Well, finished the story and got all of the cell fragments.
The achievement for Energy Cells didn't pop for me, so I will probably wait for a patch before I play more.
Hopefully that'll be soon.

Otherwise, the game was amazing. Can't wait to play more!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Unfortunately I tried that and there are only three files two text controller mapping files and one settings bin file which I don't know how to open.

To be honest this is really annoying me.
This is the exact reason for transparancy with your game files.
Goddamn Microsoft.

Also the game doesn't seem to be operating in proper fullscreen.
It says its fullscreen but its actually borderless windowed mode.

Curious to know if you've played other first party games from MS on W10. As all their games are like this, I believe.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely feeling a little over powered because that
spider boss
was a piece of cake.

The further I progress into the game, the more issues I seem to be having with sound effects, which is a shame. (Playing on an Xbox One X)

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
omg I cannot remember the last time I had so much fun with a game!! it is pure joy, definitely going for a re-run when i am through.
3 out of 4 wisps so far, I don't want it to end :D

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So after a Windows update I can no longer play the game.

Whenever I select Start Game, Options, or anything from the main menu it just asks me if I want to Quit Y/N. Whichever I select just brings me back to the main menu. I can't start the game, and the only way to close the game is to Alt + F4. Fuck.
UPDATE: This was happening because I forgot to start DS4Windows to simulate X-input. Everything is fine now.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Can't believe this doesn't have a 90+ OC score. If this isn't a 10/10, what is? Genuine question -- what more could you want from a metroidvania? So far this seems to be firing extremely hard on all cylinders.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Haven't read through the thread. I just started the game and noticed the movements to be inspired by mario64. the triple jump and backwards jump is there. That's pretty cool. I heard it also has the pole handstand. I wonder what else.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
is there a way to know if you have the patch already or should I just redownload. Was just playing and every combat encounter on Xbox X still dropped frames and my Xbox X legit just powered off while playing.

Oct 30, 2017
First hour down.

I decided to stick with the 1X for now until I notice major framedrops that irritate me. Overall, it's more Ori...meets Hollow Knight. The inspiration is obvious. I miss the more unforgiving game that made you place save spots, but that game is still there to go back to. I'm already used to this new experience and excited to play more.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Does the game known problems on PC? I'm playing with headphones and the sound cuts out often (there's a buzz for a second, like the one you hear when opening a door) and I've had some pretty big slowdowns

Xbox app says the game is up to date

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Im not really sure what I think of this game so far. The beginning was nice but the last two levels felt kinda tedious (water and snow). The combat feels like an afterthought, the hitboxes are weird and the enemies have too much health.
The fastpaced platforming parts are great though, and certainly where the game shines the most.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
First hour down.

I decided to stick with the 1X for now until I notice major framedrops that irritate me. Overall, it's more Ori...meets Hollow Knight. The inspiration is obvious. I miss the more unforgiving game that made you place save spots, but that game is still there to go back to. I'm already used to this new experience and excited to play more.
I always chuckle at the Hollow Knight comparisons. I honestly didn't look at it that much, I never even finished Hollow Knight since I didn't like the pacing of the game all that much. It took me 20 or so hours there to find the doubleJump and at that point I just kinda lost interest. But hey, that's me, I still thought it was a very good game.

But the fact of the matter is that we wanted to have attacks like in WotW in Blind Forest already, but just never got it feel right back then. Our Animator at the time, James Benson, did some anims in like 2011 or so where we had Ori swing a sword and tried to time the attacks to Symphony of the NIght (Symphony of the Night, Zelda and Super Metroid were the main inspirations in terms of Game Design), but it just felt wrong and since we didn't have all the money in the world, we decided to re-pivot for Blind Forest and focus on the heavy platforming-focus, cause that felt great right from the start. For Will of the Wisps, we had a larger budget and knew that we finally had the resources to delve deep into the combat mechanics.

The Spirit Shard system though was indeed inspired by another game, but also not HK: Initially I wanted to copy the FFVII Materia system since I LOOOOVE that system and I still fully intend on using a variation of that system for another game :D In the early WotW prototypes, every weapon / spell had slots and you were able to slot the shards into them, but that just became too complicated for an Ori game. We didn't want people to spend that much time in menus after all - So we just turned it into a global system and kept the leveling part of it.

I think Hollow Knight and Ori honestly both have their own thing going on, I don't really see all that much overlap apart from them being both Metroidvanias. The way we design levels and our world is completely different from what those folks did. Our game is all about movement, Hollow Knight is way slower and less focused on flow. It's like comparing Mario and Sonic to me - Sure, both are platformers, but that's where the similarities end. I'm just glad we're seeing more amazing Metroidvanias finally again, since when we started Ori there was absolutely nothing like that for the past 15+ years or so. Super Metroid and SOTN came out and suddenly everyone decided that that style of game wasn't worth it anymore, which was always nuts to me, ESPECIALLY since the Igavanias always had super high ratings.

But anyway, there's your inside scoop :)

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So the initial loading screen with Ori running is as far as I get now since redownloading the game before 1x powers off. Rebooted and tested MCC and Modern Warfare with no issue then tried Ori and it powered off. I am stumped