• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Damn, although its shame, they're saying they're recreating the music to be as faithful to the originals as possible, so maybe they'll be great! I'm really eager to hear them.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it will be that big of a deal but this makes me glad to be getting it on PC.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Just throw out the Carnival Night trash music and replace it with something totally new.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I've heard some fans do incredible work using the same chips and samples for games from Genesis/SNES to faithfully recreate the tracks in much better quality (Donkey Kong Country series in particular has at least two different people who did that meticulous work and it's awesome) but I'm not sure if that's what's going on here or they're trying to be faithful to the sound and "feel" but not the actual composition.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Wait so what does this actually mean? The tracks are being rebuilt or the compositions are going to be notably different?

Either way, hoping for a PC mod I guess.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish this would be sorted out at some point but, yeah, we're never going to get the original sountrack in a modern release of the game.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Goodbye Ice Cap Zone....wow that song is my childhood. Unless he can pull a miracle out.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Welp. This sucks big time.
I guess Sega couldn't get the rights from the Jackson Estate?

Oct 27, 2017
Expected but also I'm very interested in hearing these new replacement tracks.

While presenting the original music would have been the best solution, this doesn't sound like a bad result. Of course we won't know for sure until we play for ourselves.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This doesn't confirm anything though. It could still be the original music released in the game remastered/redone with different voice samples.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
It's a shame, but honestly it's also kinda cool they're putting in the work to recreate the old tracks. I'm kinda looking forward to hear them. And yeah, pc will have em modded back in no time anyway

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Expected, ain't even mad

But I did have slight pause at Senoue because I remember his work on sonic 4, but that's not really a fair comparison here.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
At first I took that to mean Sunoue is recreating the problem songs from the final game, but are we taking "originally composed in 1993" is to mean the completely different beta songs later used in the Windows port?

Admittedly neither Carnival Night nor Launch Base are huge favourites for me but Ice Cap is an all time great, would be a shame to see that go :( though aye, the originals will be modded into the PC version within seconds, and I think it's a clever idea to get Sunoe involved for the replacements

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Unfortunate, but:

- If this is the price to be paid to enable this actually won't just disappear for over a decade again, that's fine to me and
- It'll just be modded back into the PC version anyway. Hell, probably on Switch too, via homebrew.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
And just like that, i'm out.

Hit me up when the game's on deep discount.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Wait so what does this actually mean? The tracks are being rebuilt or the compositions are going to be notably different?

Either way, hoping for a PC mod I guess.

They can't use a number of tracks, because they were created by Michael Jackson for use in-game. I'm presuming that Jun Senoue will create their own versions of said tracks and include them in-game.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame, but I'll happily take some replaced music over the alternative of Sonic 3 & Knuckles never getting re-released ever again.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Is this like when Taylor Swift re-recorded her music because she didn't own the originals or some weird legal shit like that?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ice Cap won't be the same. It's lame Sega couldn't do a permanent deal to get all the tracks in, especially since they will likely want to re-release the games again in the future. It would have been cool to have multiple music selection options.

OP
OP
The Deleter

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The silver lining at least is that we'll get "new" Jun Senoue tracks out of this. Very curious to see what the songs will sound like polished up. Really hoping that a lot of work goes into Launch Base Act 1, the original prototype version of the song is just not good at all.

Expected, ain't even mad

But I did have slight pause at Senoue because I remember his work on sonic 4, but that's not really a fair comparison here.

That's like one miss out of a ton of soundtracks that he's absolutely killed it on, it's absolutely not fair.

Even then a lot of the Sonic 4 songs are actually well composed, they just use a terrible soundfont. Like hearing this Splash Hill remix by Tee Lopes back in the day was eye-opening, the song actually rocks when it's not being heard through artificial farts:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not a deal killer, but not a surprise either. Not surprised they waited until almost the last minute to tell us either...

Oct 25, 2017
She says that the issue is that certain sounds couldn't be used, and that Jun is reworking the tracks from the original compositions. So it sounds like they're reworking the music to replace certain disputed samples.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
They can't use a number of tracks, because they were created by Michael Jackson for use in-game. I'm presuming that Jun Senoue will create their own versions of said tracks and include them in-game.

There's actually a new interview from a few days ago where Brad Buxer says MJ did work on one song, but basically had nothing else to do with the game. Brad and the other collaborators did everything themselves.

I wonder what the real reason for using different music is.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Could be either, "faithful" meaning the original compositions, or "faithful" meaning the general sound of the genesis itself. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

I see you and raise you with:

Thanks, these are better versions.

But they're inferior to the MJ tracks in every way.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Even then a lot of the Sonic 4 songs are actually well composed, they just use a terrible soundfont. Like hearing this Splash Hill remix by Tee Lopes back in the day was eye-opening, the song actually rocks when it's not being heard through artificial farts:
I always liked how the Wii version of Episode 1 having to use smaller more compressed samples to fit the game's filesize limit on Wiiware actually ended up making that version of the soundtrack sound marginally better.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Felt inevitable considering how quiet they were being about 3&K in general. Interesting compromise at least, even if it's likely the beta/PC tracks touched up.