• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Orlando Sentinel has just released part 1 of a 5 part special report regarding life in Orlando, Florida, a city that is reported to be "America's most visited city":

www.orlandosentinel.com

In a theme park parking lot at night, a worker sleeps in her car. This is life in America’s most visited city

You’re not supposed to see them like this, their polyester prince costumes unbuttoned and backpacks hanging from the shoulders of their colonial period dresses. Flip flops on, lunch boxes in …

FOYZW4XZ7VHSFJXE2SX75Q2W5I.jpg

December 5, 2019

In a theme park parking lot at night, a worker sleeps in her car. This is life in America's most visited city

You're not supposed to see them like this, their polyester prince costumes unbuttoned and backpacks hanging from the shoulders of their colonial period dresses.

Flip flops on, lunch boxes in hand, legions of workers stream into an employee parking lot at Walt Disney World, weary from another shift of making magic at the world's busiest theme park.

This is the place where the pixie dust loses its sparkle.

It's where the low-wage workers who power Orlando's tourism machine leave the attractions, hotels and eateries and fade into a community that doesn't have enough affordable housing, public transportation or opportunities in industries with higher-paying jobs.

A year after a landmark decision by Disney to raise its minimum wage for about 40,000 union workers to $15 an hour by 2021, many of those employees are better off. By October, the number of unionized workers earning more than $15 an hour had more than quadrupled to 13,057 compared to August 2018, according to the Service Trades Council Union.

But people earning near the $15 mark, long considered the gold standard for a living wage, still find their paychecks barely cover the basics — so they move farther from the attractions to find lower rent and make difficult decisions each month about whether they can pay overdue medical bills or buy enough groceries to feed a family.

They're people like Gabby Alcantara-Anderson.

She hops off an employee bus at the lot for Magic Kingdom workers at 12:12 a.m. on a humid September night and makes a beeline for her Kia Soul where a permit on the back window reads: Frontierland Cast Member. After almost seven years at Disney, she spends her shifts monitoring rides while also answering guest complaints at the park's Old West-themed land, home to the Splash Mountain flume and Country Bear Jamboree.

She slips out of sneakers and into black Crocs, climbs into the car, pulls out of the parking lot and heads to a 7-Eleven on Disney property. It happens to be a good night: She has enough cash stowed in the sunglasses case above her head to buy gas for the 63-mile drive to her home south of Lakeland.

But sometimes on the worst nights, when the tank is on E and she can't scrounge even a few bucks for gas, she doesn't leave the lot.

Instead, she pulls into a dark corner, cracks the windows and reclines the seat all the way back. She calls her family, and she checks to make sure there's a clean uniform in the back seat for the next day. And then she falls asleep waiting for her paycheck to deposit overnight.

Alcantara-Anderson's wages jumped from $11.50 an hour in September 2018 to $14.75 today. After Disney's agreement with the unions last year to increase pay, no unionized Disney workers earn less than $13 an hour today compared to last year when nearly 21,000 people made less than $11.

But Alcantara-Anderson is still one of about 25,600 Disney workers in the union making less than $15 an hour. And life in the world's vacation kingdom is still a calculus of choices: rent, food, medicine, a birthday gift for her child.

She and her husband, who works at an auto repair shop, will make about $45,000 this year, wages that will also support her daughter and her sick mother. That lands them squarely in the low-wage bracket, according to guidelines from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

"We have no savings. We have no nest egg. We have nothing to fall back on," said Alcantara-Anderson, 28. "We pretty much live hand to mouth."

Orlando earned its place among the world's leading vacation spots after years of dizzying growth. Today, nearly 50 years after the Magic Kingdom opened, the region's 75 million visitors surpass London and Paris combined.

The tourism industry employs nearly 280,000 workers in the four counties surrounding Orlando, accounting for the largest portion of the entire local labor force, more than 20%. Disney employs more than a quarter of those workers or about 77,000 people.

So many tourism jobs in one place, many of them low-wage, come with a consequence: Paychecks across all industries in Central Florida rank dead last among the top 50 metropolitan areas in the United States.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As someone who lives in the Greater Orlando Area and is trying to support myself and my girlfriend on $16/hr, shit is really hard. We live in the shittiest of one bedroom apartments and management wants to increase our rent another $50 a month to $1040. We're going to have to move back in with my SO's mother to make ends meet. I don't work in the tourism business, but yeah, we definitely feel the cost of living/wage problem for sure regardless of the industry we work in.

I appreciate the article. At least I know I'm not the only one.
Shiet, that blows. Where at? If youre that strapped Id say try finding a place with roommates. Even then though 1040 sounds like too much for a 1 bedroom apartment.

I lived in a house in Union Park/Oviedo for years there for like $420+utilities, and my best friend and his girlfriend lived there too in the master bedroom for $100 more. They eventually moved out to their own place but only pay like $850. Worked out alright.

Wages suck though for working class. It's too easy to get cheap labor with all the college age kids.

If youre not corporate or tech it seems like there's nowhere to go, even for hospitality.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who lives in the Greater Orlando Area and is trying to support myself and my girlfriend on $16/hr, shit is really hard. We live in the shittiest of one bedroom apartments and management wants to increase our rent another $50 a month to $1040. We're going to have to move back in with my SO's mother to make ends meet. I don't work in the tourism business, but yeah, we definitely feel the cost of living/wage problem for sure regardless of the industry we work in.

I appreciate the article. At least I know I'm not the only one.

This is how it is where I live. I make over 8 dollars an hour more than minimum wage and my rent is fucking killing me. The cost of living in America is getting seriously out of hand.

Rent in my city has almost doubled in ten years, it's that bad.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I live down the road to Universal and the rent is $1300 and now going over $1400.

Shit sucks living in Orlando. Having to split the rent with two other people and one of them buying things they don't need.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the border of downtown Orlando. 1800 rent for 2/2. I don't really mind the cost as I have a salary that covers it without issue, but I have a friend whose rent jumped 900 to 1300 and he had to leave it and go back to his parents. It really sucks because the overall economy is booming but there is a stark divide between those who work in tourist industries and the rest.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Any idea what teacher wages are like in Orlando? I've been away from Florida for a while, but my family is there so if I ever move back I was always thinking it would be Orlando.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any former cast members on the forum? I'm curious about the etiquette on tipping cast members, are yall allowed to take them? I'm talking like custodial staff, ride operators, etc.

$15 as the gold standard minimum wage, fuck that. Should be more.
Yeah, it was decent when the fight for $15 began, but now it's not enough.

I cynically expect companies to do big publicity pieces about how they're raising their wages to $15 just as the living wage has moved well past that.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cost of living is pretty cheap in Orlando. Hovers at or around the national averages across the board, which is impressive for a major coastal city with so much tourism.

That graph is pretty misleading as most of those cities have drastically higher cost of living. At 15 an hour Orlando's minimum wage is very high than most other cities who've set that rate and you should fare far better there making that.

If anything that graph should make you focus on Honolulu, Austin and Miami, not Orlando. Those people have it was worse

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
I live in Maitland. Wages are way too low for a major city, but also, Florida voters in major cities are at a huge disadvantage compared to all the rural areas that only vote red. And when you check, businesses completely run this state.

Apartment prices going way up, but home prices seem to be doing flat-ish. I'm a lil older (late 30s) so I already own a home I bought 15 years ago, so I always keep an eye on that.

Also, helps that I work from home for a gaming start-up in Los Angeles, so I'm blessed not to have to live on Orlando wages.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's kinda rough. I live where the person in the OP does and make less than $11/hr, plus monthly bonuses if I reach my goals, so it's not that awful. But my take home is still 16k or so for everything else. 20k total this year, 21.5 expected. Thankfully I only have to drive seven miles to work, and split expenses with my father 50/50.
There's no way to live without a roommate here, that's for sure.

Last edited:

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any former cast members on the forum? I'm curious about the etiquette on tipping cast members, are yall allowed to take them? I'm talking like custodial staff, ride operators, etc.

re: cast members

Many Cast Members at Disney are not permitted to accept tips; however, if someone has gone above and beyond, there are other ways that guests can show appreciation. Cast Members often get perks if guests leave compliments about their service. You can compliment a Cast Member by speaking to their leader or manager, by going to Guest Relations and telling them about your experience, or by tweeting about the cast member. If you are tweeting, be sure to describe the location of the cast member and tag @WDWToday using #CastCompliment.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in Casselberry. Rent started at $850 but has gone up dramatically over the last two years. My SO's mother is going through a divorce and is going to have to find a new place to live anyway (She's in Winter Park), so we're all going to move in together. We'll figure it out, but yeah it's been a stressful few years since I've been the only income between me and my partner. Probably looking at stuff closer to Apopka since that's where I work.

Renting in Casselberry was a horrible decision. I had a 1b/1b apartment that was $1000 a month and it was in a barely decent to top it off. The piece of shit of AC unit was being held together by literal tape and a prayer. Ruined by my electric bills and the new AC unit broke as well!
Moving out during July with no AC was complete hell. Made sure the next apartment wasn't anywhere near Casselberry. Although it wasn't easy considering the renting rates in Orlando are getting crazy.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I think I paid 900 for a 1 bed in Oviedo but that was 9 years ago. It was tough as hell with my garbage salary but then I moved south and a two bedroom is fucking 1700+

My wife made 37k in Orange again that was 9 years ago again.

Public or private school? If she was making that 9 years ago, does that mean that wages have gone down? Or is 29k a low estimate? My sister is a high school teacher in Volusia and while I'm not sure how much she makes, she tells me it would be impossible for a teacher to support a family on their salary alone. Most of the teachers at her school are young and single, and once they get married they move on to something else if their spouse isn't pulling in good money. Others work 2-3 jobs.

Nov 13, 2017
It's insane how Frozen II can make $1B in three weeks, yet Disney still can't find a way to prevent their employees from having to sleep in cars.

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
Public or private school? If she was making that 9 years ago, does that mean that wages have gone down? Or is 29k a low estimate? My sister is a high school teacher in Volusia and while I'm not sure how much she makes, she tells me it would be impossible for a teacher to support a family on their salary alone. Most of the teachers at her school are young and single, and once they get married they move on to something else if their spouse isn't pulling in good money. Others work 2-3 jobs.
It was public high school STEM. I also just saw a post by OCPS in Oct that starting salaries have been agreed upon to be 40k

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how Frozen II can make $1B in three weeks, yet Disney still can't find a way to prevent their employees from having to sleep in cars.

A simple solution I can think of is Disney increasing the pay of all their theme park employees and give them annual cost of living raises based upon the cost of living of that specific area.