• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Boss Baby getting nominated over A Silent Voice may be one of the biggest Animation Oscar snubs EVER, right along Rango winning over Kung Fu Panda 2. Also, where the fuck is BR2049 or The Disaster Artist?

As someone eloquently said:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I think I'm missing something, I've not seen it yet but how is Phantom Thread a surprising nom exactly?

Edit: nvm :p

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
Denzel sneaking in for a movie I haven't heard. Pretty surprising considering the non-existant buzz

Nov 13, 2017
Come through, Call Me By Your Name! Sufjan! Timothée!!!

armie-hammer-1507833796.gif

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Hell yeah @ the Phantom Thread noms. Vicky Krieps should be in there over Meryl Streep for Best Actress, but I get that it's an unknown vs. a household name. Still a stronger than expected showing that's well deserved.

Oct 29, 2017
Logan got a best screenplay nomination. That's the third most important nom a film can get. All things considered I think it did fairly well just with that.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I wanna see Shape of Water win Best picture and I wanna see Del Toro win Best Director.

But I have a feeling they are gonna just give it to Gerwig.

Also would like to see the Guy from Get Out win. That movie has been horribly underrated by the big time awards.

Giving Gerwig the Directing Oscar would be insanity. Honestly, she barely deserves the nomination, and for her to win it would only be because of the whole 'whooo, girl power' narrative. No thanks.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Call me by your name and Logan on the same eye level (best adapted screenplay Nom) - I can't even. Only at the Oscar's man... :'D

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Boy did The Post get thoroughly ignored. Both its noms seem perfunctory as hell.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Giving Gerwig the Directing Oscar would be insanity. Honestly, she barely deserves the nomination, and for her to win it would only be because of the whole 'whooo, girl power' narrative. No thanks.
While I wouldn't word the way you just did my reasoning is basically the same.

6th ever woman to be nominated for the award at a time where women's rights and activism is at its peak? Combined with the fact that people think the entire industry hates and mistreats women?

Yeah she is winning. Though I my opinion it should be Del Toro.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have a history of being snobbish of certain genres, only 3 animated films have ever been nominated in about 100 years, I can't respect that considering how important they take themselves as well.
Well the Best Animated feature category actually hurts an animated film from being nominated as a Best Picture, however the positives of having such a category are too important to get rid of.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I realized only now that the Academy totally ignored Detroit. I know the movie, which reviewed well, was met with some discrepancy, but technical merits were strong, and thematically is hard to find a film more appropiate for the actual climate.

Is Bigelow still on the blacklist? ZTD was years ago.

Nov 27, 2017
They can nominate 10 films, rather only nominate 9 than considering Logan which is a comic book movie, or Coco is a animated movie or other films that are in the 'wrong' genre to get a best picture nomination

The Academy continues to treat their snobbish opinions with importance, and later they'll scramble reasons to question why their ratings continue to drop.

I mean, it's not like they just pick the amount of films they want. There's a formula--each movie has to receive a certain number of votes from the nomination ballots.

Oct 29, 2017
Kumail Nanjiani and Jordan Peele are both nominated for best original screenplay. I would have thought that was hysterical three years ago.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
While I wouldn't word the way you just did my reasoning is basically the same.

6th ever woman to be nominated for the award at a time where women's rights and activism is at its peak? Combined with the fact that people think the entire industry hates and mistreats women?

Yeah she is winning.

She's not winning. Her just being nominated is the academy's way of showing support to women. If she did win by a miracle...woof.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I realized only now that the Academy totally ignored Detroit. I know the movie, which reviewed well, was met with some discrepancy, but technical merits were strong, and thematically is hard to find a film more appropiate for the actual climate.

Is Bigelow still on the blacklist? ZTD was years ago.
Everyone ignored Detroit because it isn't memorable in the slightest.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad the DP of Mudbound was recognized for her great cinematography as well Mary J. Blige's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.