• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenRoderick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Lady Bird is definitely going to win Best Picture and Best Director for Greta Gerwig, because before the Golden Globes started; I thought to myself, "Call Me By Your Name should win the Oscars." But when the Time's Up movement started, I said to myself, "Lady Bird should win the Oscars and everybody would be happy about this."
It's going to happen, ladies and gentlemen and I hope some people would be happy.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I see the third Apes film walking away with the Best VFX Oscar rather than GOTG2 or Blade Runner 2049.

*folds arms*

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Is Greta even the second favorite in the list it isn't exactly like Lady Bird racked up awards here. Nolan seems like the second choice pick.
Lady Bird was an acting/writing heavy movie, it was never going to pick up any technical noms. That's where the high nom counts come from for the big films usually.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Not necessarily, the Academy seems to have gotten a lot more comfortable splitting up Best Picture and Director. Four of the last five Best Director wins also lost Best Pic.

edit: though it just occurred to me you were just talking about nominations :lol
Yeah, Del Toro always had Director in the bag... but the lack of a direction nom for Three Billboards is highly problematic.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see Blade Runner get a cinematography nod.
I'd like to see The Shape of Water snubbed entirely. Really wanted to walk out on that one.

I think 3 Billboards will win even though I thought it was little more than "good". It was good, though.

Well... shit.

Strange that one of the movies I've liked least in a long time is so heavily nominated.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It is the best movie of 2017.
It's not really close. Hammy ass sequel baiting on resistance, bad pacing in moments, and the main villain shows up and disappears like he's Houdini. It has great characters, good story, incredible atmosphere, and powerful OST. Some swings and misses on execution. They did right not to give it a nom.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I saw more movies than I ever have before in 2017 thanks to MoviePass, but I'm still behind. Luckily a ton of the nominees are still in theaters and I can catch them over the next few weeks.

After seeing The Shape of Water last night, I'm genuinely surprised at the buzz it's getting. I thought it was good but it just felt lacking something to elevate it to true greatness to me. I will admit the directing and Hawkins' performance were stellar. But there was a lot of other stuff that dragged the movie down for me.

TLJ needs to win Sound Mixing and Sound Editing hands down, they do incredible things with sound in that movie.

If Deakins doesn't win for BR2049 (and he should) he never will.

Oct 28, 2017
Three Billboards will sweep the acting, save for Laurie Metcalf. Gerwig wins best original screenplay, CMBYN wins best original screenplay, Nolan wins director, Three Billboards wins BP.

Technical categories are solely between BR and Dunkirk.

It's a shame, because Three Billboards is so mediocre it hurts me to say that, but I wasn't too hot on most of the nominees this year. I think CMYBN, Dunkirk, Lady Bird and Phantom Thread are the only ones that really stood out to me. This may be the first year I've ever seen everything nominated.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Really really happy with PTA getting directing. Redeems this year a lot. Good on them for kicking Franco too.

REMEMBER that Argo won BP without directing so 3BB is still the frontrunner.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
The Shape of Water is an alright film but it's probably going to win everything.

I'll be rooting for Get Out and Three Billboards since BR2049 and Baby Driver got snubbed.

Stoked to see Kumail and Emily get a nom for The Big Sick though!

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really close. Hammy ass sequel baiting on resistance, bad pacing in moments, and the main villain shows up and disappears like he's Houdini. It has great characters, good story, incredible atmosphere, and powerful OST. Some swings and misses on execution.

In a world where Lady Bird and Darkest Hour (Gary Oldman in Makeup the Movie) get best picture noms, it's hard to say 2049 didn't deserve one.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Very happy with the Baby Driver, Blade Runner, and The Last Jedi tech nominations. The Last Jedi so deserves that Score nomination. One of the best things Williams has done in a long time.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Lady Bird is definitely going to win Best Picture and Best Director for Greta Gerwig, because before the Golden Globes started; I thought to myself, "Call Me By Your Name should win the Oscars." But when the Time's Up movement started, I said to myself, "Lady Bird should win the Oscars and everybody would be happy about this."
It's going to happen, ladies and gentlemen and I hope some people would be happy.
I think del Toro is still the frontrunner. DGA will probably seal it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They can nominate 10 films, rather only nominate 9 than considering Logan which is a comic book movie, or Coco is a animated movie or other films that are in the 'wrong' genre to get a best picture nomination

The Academy continues to treat their snobbish opinions with importance, and later they'll scramble reasons to question why their ratings continue to drop.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
here for Get Out and all it's noms, it better get some wins

hope Blade Runner takes home cinematography, movie looked gorgeous. same with Baby Driver for editing

Animated Feature category is a mess but Coco was always gonna take that anyway

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick skim of the nominations shows they seem to be the best possible scenario IMO.

*To claim that anything other than Dunkirk should win editing is actually treasonous.

Willkiller

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technical categories are solely between BR and Dunkirk.

It's a shame, because Three Billboards is so mediocre it hurts me to say that, but I wasn't too hot on most of the nominees this year. I think CMYBN, Dunkirk, Lady Bird and Phantom Thread are the only ones that really stood out to me. This may be the first year I've ever seen everything nominated.[/QUOTE]

Opinions and all that, but I find it amazing that you found Three Billboards mediocre but think Dunkirk stood out.

Dunkirk is mediocrity through and through.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Totally wide open field for Best Picture. I think the most deserving and least deserving possibilities got in, so atleast I'll have rooting interests. Was very surprised by the enthusiasm for Phantom Thread by the academy. Totally deserving but I figured it'd be a bit too weird for them.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They can nominate 10 films, rather only nominate 9 because Logan is a comic book movie, or Coco is a animated movie or other films that are in the 'wrong' genre to get a best picture nomination

The Academy continues to treat their snobbish opinions with importance, and later they'll scramble reasons to question why their ratings continue to drop.
You say this, and yet a super-popular horror film & a sci-fi film are BP front-runners. Which hasn't happened in ages.

Sometimes your favorite just isn't that good.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Del Toro is taking it. Really don't see LB getting BP either. It's going to be between 3B and TSOW.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen Boss Baby but thank goodness Lego Batman didn't get nominated. What a disappointment that movie was
MMG4z.gif

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
So cool how a horror film got nominated for best picture. This is the first since the sixth sense right?

Is the term Oscar bait over? The Darkest hour is the only movie I guess that fits that description.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really hoping there is a last minute swerve on Oscar night and either Sally Hawkins or Saoirse Ronan nabs the Oscar before Frances McDormand can.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the directing nomination itself, its about hurting Three Billboards chances to win best picture. it's very rare for a film to win best picture without a best director nomination at least
A mere four films have ever won BP without having a BD nomination in the whole history of the Oscars. The last one to do so was Argo in 2012.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Boss Baby is actually pretty good. When I only saw the trailer I also thought it looked like the worst movie ever. Then I watched it with my kids and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Lego Batman still deserved it more though.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
No Guadagnino or McDonagh makes me sad. On the other hand, can't think of any of the nominees I'd replace. Great year for cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.