• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
http://variety.com/2018/film/in-con...d-cinematographer-rachel-morrison-1202673355/

After 90 long years, another glass ceiling has finally been broken at the Motion Picture Academy.

"Mudbound" cinematographer Rachel Morrison made history Tuesday by becoming the first female director of photography to receive an Oscar nomination. The recognition comes on the heels of a similar milestone with the American Society of Cinematographers, which nominated Morrison's "Mudbound" work earlier this month.

"Mudbound" was also nominated for best supporting actress (Mary J. Blige), best adapted screenplay and best original song (making Blige a double nominee). The other cinematography Oscar nominees were "Blade Runner 2049" (Roger Deakins' 14th nomination to date, the most among active lensers), "Darkest Hour," "Dunkirk" and "The Shape of Water."

Morrison's work can next be seen in Marvel's upcoming "Black Panther."
Well this only took forever, but I guess better late than nothing.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome.

She also shot Black Panther, so that's another reason to look forward to that.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This is sadly shocking but also exciting to hear for her. Hopefully more women will start getting noticed for their work.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
That's fantastic. I kept thinking to myself how beautiful that movie looked when I first watched it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
It's nuts how long this has taken but more understandable than the inexplicable imbalance in female director nominees, given how while women have been directing some of the best movies since movies began, they are systematically kept out of the more technical positions like d.p. Hopefully this, along with recognizably fantastic work over the last several years from Reed Morano, Maryse Alberti, Natasha Braier, and Ellen Kuras, to mention just a few, signals a shift.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Adding to the list a few posts above, Charlotte Bruus Christensen should also have gotten a nod in the last few years.