• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I already rarely eat beef, but I should really try to reduce my meat consumption more. Don't think I could go full vegan but hopefully I can at least reduce the amount I eat.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Report today that millions of people could be dying from events driven by climate change as soon as 2040 and we finally hit 150 posts in here.

A good day .

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Report today that millions of people could be dying from events driven by climate change as soon as 2040 and we finally hit 150 posts in here.

A good day .

Well the thread about the IPCC report has nearly everyone in it resigning to defeat already despite having 11 years to hit the goal so what does anyone expect? This is a very negative place, unfortunately. We have 11 years to work on the following:

- Clean, renewable energy initiatives.
- Replacing gasoline powered transport, both public and private, with zero-emission electric options.
- Develop solutions to pull carbon out of the air in a high enough quantity to nullify new emissions and when we hit a net-zero at some point maybe even reverse some of the damage.

Many nations and companies are already committed to working on all of the above, and the longer we're at it the better the solution will end up.

I remain optimistic that enough positive change will happen between now and 2030 to avoid the worst of it. We're at a stage that most will admit, myself included, we should have never come to. But now that some of the effects are starting to hit home it should shake complacency and real, impactful work should start getting done relatively soon.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
Electric cars? Not as affordable as they need to be, and those that are, piss poor range and terrible charging times.

Coolness

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Electric cars? Not as affordable as they need to be, and those that are, piss poor range and terrible charging times.
I live in a California suburb, but the piss poor range is adequate for 90% of my needs. I have a 30 mile commute and won't use even 50% of the battery most days. It truly depends on your needs. The times I've traveled out of its range, I was fortunate enough to have quick charging available on my routes.
I know that other states have limited infrastructure, but because of their restrictions, both perceived and actual, they are dirt cheap on the used market.

Last edited:

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
If you haven't already, I'd really suggest investing in a smart thermostat.
Allowing you to easily monitor and control your largest energy consumption is a huge boost.
I've gotten it down to barely a fraction of use it would normally be.

I know "dumb" thermostats can be programmed but they're a huge hassle and you cant track real use very easy. Being able to see wattage and time spent running is big.

Every little bit helps.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome thread, kudos OP.

I have my own solar panels, grow my own vegetables and use public transport (Traffic is terrible here, so it makes sense) almost all the time, but when I go in vacations.
Even if we do a little we are all helping so dont give up even if the other people dont think you are crazy.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna do what I can to help.

I couldn't get an all-electric car, but I have a hybrid and a don't even drive it that much so I only fill it up ever 2 months or so. I'm gonna try and keep electronics and heating off during the day, and I'll see if I can't cut down on my meat.

Speaking of meat, that's gonna be the hardest for me because I love it. Can anyone recommend any standout meat replacements meals/products?

Or is there like a tier list of which meats are worse for the environment so I could just eat more of the less harmful ones?

Oct 26, 2017
Even if you don't want to go vegan - at least immediately. Cut down on meat, dairy and driving. If everyone did this then we'd see fast improvements. I guess this is gonna be hardest in countries like the US, probably even more so now you've got a climate change denier as president.

I already rarely eat beef, but I should really try to reduce my meat consumption more. Don't think I could go full vegan but hopefully I can at least reduce the amount I eat.

Yep, at least being conscious of it and reducing is great. Humans don't need to eat meat everyday (or arguably at all). The dairy industry is also fucking cruel.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Yep, at least being conscious of it and reducing is great. Humans don't need to eat meat everyday (or arguably at all). The dairy industry is also fucking cruel.

I agree about meat, we should cut it a lot.

My father was a small farmer. His cows were living a good life overall. They always had quality food available, got treated quickly when sick, and were allowed to go outside all day long during the summer.

Of course there are the quick veal separations and now cows don't go outside as much in big farms... There is the pressure of productivity to keep prices low.

Still they were living in better condition than half of the human population.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree about meat, we should cut it a lot.

My father was a small farmer. His cows were living a good life overall. They always had quality food available, got treated quickly when sick, and were allowed to go outside all day long during the summer.

Of course there are the quick veal separations and now cows don't go outside as much in big farms... There is the pressure of productivity to keep prices low.

Still they were living in better condition than half of the human population.

Oh aye I'm not talking about small farmers with few animals. I'm talking about the gigantic, overcrowded farms. It's not just chickens that live in battery farms. The scale and number of those sorts of farms is shocking, and it's due to the mass market for meat and dairy. At some point people are going to have to choose between less beef or natural disasters.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Well the thread about the IPCC report has nearly everyone in it resigning to defeat already despite having 11 years to hit the goal so what does anyone expect? This is a very negative place, unfortunately. We have 11 years to work on the following:

- Clean, renewable energy initiatives.
- Replacing gasoline powered transport, both public and private, with zero-emission electric options.
- Develop solutions to pull carbon out of the air in a high enough quantity to nullify new emissions and when we hit a net-zero at some point maybe even reverse some of the damage.

Many nations and companies are already committed to working on all of the above, and the longer we're at it the better the solution will end up.

I remain optimistic that enough positive change will happen between now and 2030 to avoid the worst of it. We're at a stage that most will admit, myself included, we should have never come to. But now that some of the effects are starting to hit home it should shake complacency and real, impactful work should start getting done relatively soon.

I agree.

Unfortunately I think we'll need a catastrophic climate event in the US before serious action/legislation takes place.

On the subject of meat, it's our ace in the hole. With the meat industry being the biggest contributor to green house gasses an international over night ban on meat production and consumption would solve the problem.

Of course there are serious problems with that solution. But as a last resort...

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing you can do is cut your reliance on coal and oil as much as possible and get as many others as you can. Your own personal consumption won't do much, we're going to have to pretty much take down the fossil fuel industry.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I already use public transportation as much as I can (thank God for the metro system in Medellin), but I'll be cutting on meat consumption and will promote diet change within my house. Won't be much by comparison, but every effort counts.

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
What should I do considering I love beef? I like to cook steak/Beef stew and burgers. Also is chicken as much a problem as beef?

What I read, chicken is way less of a problem from the emission point of view.
So replacing all beef products might already help a lot.

Someone in this thread mentioned Cowspiracy. The documentary. It is described pretty well in there.

Also in the DiCaprio documentary the conclusion was: if you want to have the biggest impact with just changing one thing: don't eat beef.

I try going vegan since I watched Cowspiracy. But struggle a lot.

Rex Griswold

Oct 29, 2017
Lol at 'don't have kids'. It's not your business to tell people that, fuck off with that nonsense. Instead of the usual tut tutting about kids, why not take a different approach and talk about improving not only your environmental consciousness, but raising kids to share those views. Kids learn from their parents, and if we want to have a generation of people who are really fighting for the environment, it's up to you as a parent to teach your kids that they can make a positive difference in the future of the world by doing something as simple as passing on the hamburger and opting for the chicken nuggets instead.

That specific example may not look like a lot, but if you've got a whole generation of kids thinking that way, suddenly it's actually pretty helpful.

Adopt kids or have your own, the species dies without them. It's up to the people adopting or raising their own to raise them in such a way that there's no question about the reality of climate change, and deniers have no place in power. If you don't want kids, great! There's literally nothing wrong with that. Instead of sitting there acting like you're better than others because you're not contributing to climate change by having kids, talk to your friends with kids, talk about making things better for everyone environmentally, get them on board with things like cutting meat down, that'll spread to their kids and they'll grow up environmentally conscious.

Obviously it's not that easy, but it's a much better approach than the typical "don't have kids".

Doomshroom

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol at 'don't have kids'. It's not your business to tell people that, fuck off with that nonsense. Instead of the usual tut tutting about kids, why not take a different approach and talk about improving not only your environmental consciousness, but raising kids to share those views. Kids learn from their parents, and if we want to have a generation of people who are really fighting for the environment, it's up to you as a parent to teach your kids that they can make a positive difference in the future of the world by doing something as simple as passing on the hamburger and opting for the chicken nuggets instead.

That specific example may not look like a lot, but if you've got a whole generation of kids thinking that way, suddenly it's actually pretty helpful.

Adopt kids or have your own, the species dies without them. It's up to the people adopting or raising their own to raise them in such a way that there's no question about the reality of climate change, and deniers have no place in power. If you don't want kids, great! There's literally nothing wrong with that. Instead of sitting there acting like you're better than others because you're not contributing to climate change by having kids, talk to your friends with kids, talk about making things better for everyone environmentally, get them on board with things like cutting meat down, that'll spread to their kids and they'll grow up environmentally conscious.

Obviously it's not that easy, but it's a much better approach than the typical "don't have kids".

or...................dont have kids.

Rex Griswold

Oct 29, 2017
or...................dont have kids.

If you don't want kids, great! There's literally nothing wrong with that. Instead of sitting there acting like you're better than others because you're not contributing to climate change by having kids, talk to your friends with kids, talk about making things better for everyone environmentally, get them on board with things like cutting meat down, that'll spread to their kids and they'll grow up environmentally conscious.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The thing is, don't have kids... and we die out either way.

What I do?

Recycling, paper, tin cans, plastic, food etc.

Eat meat, try to cut it back, but it is hard.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

What I do?

The real joke here is not being able to afford kids! Amirite fellow millennials? :)

My jokes aside, cut meat consumption as much as possible (or go vegan/vegetarian), try to use cars as little as possible, use solar/green energy as much as possible.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

What I do?

The issue here isn't really humanity dying out but that we fuck up this planet beyond repair.

About that CO2 extraction, wouldn't it be a start to just plant a shitload of trees? I mean that worked in the past.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The issue here isn't really humanity dying out but that we fuck up this planet beyond repair.

About that CO2 extraction, wouldn't it be a start to just plant a shitload of trees? I mean that worked in the past.

Yes and no, one of the main issues is that a lot of the grounds that are able to sustain these trees have been wiped clean for animal agriculture (both the farms and swaths of rain forrest to grow food for these animals).

Electricity is another big thing, Count Trumpula insists on going back on coal *cough*campaign money*cough* and in China/India they're building moar coal plants to meet the demand due all the factories and rising populations.

Not sure if we can plant enough trees to fight that increase in emmisions.

Solar and wind energy is something that needs to be invested in more and more, and subsidies on that instead of shit that is ruining the planet (fossil fuels, animal agriculture).

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I would say nuclear power is a good power source, at least if you plan where to build these and that you build high quality plants.

The best, short term solution (like before fusion), would be efficient solar panels, but we are not there yet, and won't work so well in some countries (hello eternal darkness).

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of meat, that's gonna be the hardest for me because I love it. Can anyone recommend any standout meat replacements meals/products?

Look into seitan, it's really versatile and people are doing incredible things with it now. I've been making this basic recipe every week to do meal prep with - https://avocadosandales.com/2017/12/17/chickwheat-shreds/. It's incredibly versatile, can shred it and chuck chunks of it in a curry or stew, or thinly slice it and use it like sandwich meat, or even fry it up like bacon. Once you have the basic recipe down, you can start to play with the spices to change the flavour. Add poultry seasoning to make it more "chickeny" or pork seasoning to get a pork vibe etc. On it's own it probably won't fool anyone as the spices give a sort of hint of the meat you're aiming to replicate rather than being exactly like it, but in terms of texture it's pretty great. I've made curries where people have honestly though they were eating chicken.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Clothing. Cheap disposable clothes aren't much good for the planet.

So what's the best options for sustainable, durable yet affordable clothing.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well it is an issue if we die out... since I guess we want to continue existing?
I'm not really worried about our survival as a species at the moment though. We are one of the last to die out on this planet and we would literally need to turn earth into a barren wasteland for that to happen.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Planting trees is good, it helps with carbon capture. It won't solve the problem on it's own though, but more trees means we buy time for the green energy switch.

Clothing : Found this a few years ago, the quality is good, the shirts are pretty comfortable and they plant 10 trees everytime you buy one : https://www.tentree.ca/

What should I do considering I love beef? I like to cook steak/Beef stew and burgers. Also is chicken as much a problem as beef?

Look at the OP, there is a chart for meat.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would say nuclear power is a good power source, at least if you plan where to build these and that you build high quality plants.
And there's still the very current issue of waste management. I'm all for nuclear power compared to emissions heavy sources, but this is still an issue, with very long term effects.

Holden

Oct 25, 2017
And there's still the very current issue of waste management. I'm all for nuclear power compared to emissions heavy sources, but this is still an issue, with very long term effects.

Yes, forgot to add that.

Need a good and long long LONG term solution for that.

Nuclear waste is not a today's problem

A nice post explaining how little waste there is compared to the size of a power plant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...thing_that_sounds_extremely_wrong_but/dtqd9ey

A long-term solution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onkalo_spent_nuclear_fuel_repository

Please, please, please do not focus on nuclear waste, climate change is a HUGE problem, nuclear waste management is insignificant compared to the climate change problem we face today.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Nuclear waste is not a today's problem

A nice post explaining how little waste there is compared to the size of a power plant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...thing_that_sounds_extremely_wrong_but/dtqd9ey

A long-term solution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onkalo_spent_nuclear_fuel_repository

Please, please, please do not focus on nuclear waste, climate change is a HUGE problem, nuclear waste management is insignificant compared to the climate change problem we face today.

Well, since the storage solution need to be able to handle the waste for a long long LONG time, it still need to be handled.

But yes, nuclear power is the best thing
except your mom

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'm so happy to have found this thread!

I am becoming a vegan, have decided to adopt instead of making children, and bike everywhere, which isn't easy because I live in an old people city (Victoria, BC) where citizen movements have stopped the city hall from creating more bike lanes and are about to elect people who will remove the few ones we have. Here, the aggressivity of many car drivers towards bikes is insane. Coming from Spain, I knew things here would be worse for bikes, but I never imagined it would be this backward.

Also, I'm writing an article about the environmental impact of gaming and what are the greenest ways of enjoying this hobby. I'll probably create a thread about it soon for everyone to discuss.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
It's crazy to think we had the solution for over half a century but after a couple decades decided it wasn't worth investing in to improve the technology and handle the waste. Dealing with climate change will cost us a thousandfold + many millions of lives.

Anyone who argues that nuclear waste isn't a tiny problem compared to climate change has no idea what we're up against.

Last edited:

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Also, I'm writing an article about the environmental impact of gaming and what are the greenest ways of enjoying this hobby. I'll probably create a thread about it soon for everyone to discuss.

That sounds really interesting! I'm already looking forward to it, although I fear much of the response will be "man, I dunno if I could back down my gaming habits by *that* much..." (and I'm not counting myself out from that, heh)

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, lol. If someone was trying to get a short doc series of the ground of short tales about people already living through notable effects of global warming. What would be some interesting topics that are off the beaten track?

Like living in a city with extreme air pollution like Beijing with asthma (not necessarily climate change). Living in an area that's suddenly prone to forest fires. The tale of a storm chaser chasing ever more powerful storms. etc.

Things like that.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
That sounds really interesting! I'm already looking forward to it, although I fear much of the response will be "man, I dunno if I could back my gaming habits by *that* much..." (and I'm not counting myself out from that, heh)
Thanks! The article will be written in Spanish but it there's interest I might translate it. I am not planning on asking people to game less but rather compare the environmental cost of physical vs download vs streaming, the difference between playing by day or at night depending on what kind of energy you are provided, the difference in CO2 emissions during development (a AAA game is much more polluting to make, but it also serves millions of people with one single development). Things like that. I want to compile some info for the OP before I create the thread, but I'll make sure to post a link here :)

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! The article will be written in Spanish but it there's interest I might translate it. I am not planning on asking people to game less but rather compare the environmental cost of physical vs download vs streaming, the difference between playing by day or at night depending on what kind of energy you are provided, the difference in CO2 emissions during development (a AAA game is much more polluting to make, but it also serves millions of people with one single development). Things like that. I want to compile some info for the OP before I create the thread, but I'll make sure to post a link here :)

As it happens, I went exclusively digital for Switch earlier this summer for unrelated reasons, but I haven't thought of it like that! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy to have found this thread!

I am becoming a vegan, have decided to adopt instead of making children, and bike everywhere, which isn't easy because I live in an old people city (Victoria, BC) where citizen movements have stopped the city hall from creating more bike lanes and are about to elect people who will remove the few ones we have. Here, the aggressivity of many car drivers towards bikes is insane. Coming from Spain, I knew things here would be worse for bikes, but I never imagined it would be this backward.

Cool. I can't wait to read it.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For my first step in reducing personal emissions, I've begun evaluating my media consumption and weighing the costs of digital vs physical. As it happens, going digital isn't as 100% clean as I thought, as we leave carbon footprints via energy consumption (apparently even just one tweet emits carbon; yikes!)

Of course, practically everything these days releases carbon, so there's no use in paralyzing ourselves in fear. Point is, I'm curious if there's any experts here on the subject of digital vs physical in relation to environment. I mentioned before I'm gradually going digital on games, but I'm heavily considering doing the same for movies and series on iTunes, as Apple seems to be making strides in providing green energy (despite dissenters like this Forbes article, although it's written by a known climate change denier).

Last edited:

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Whenever I order a drink I ask them not to put a straw in it, but they usually do anyways.

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I order a drink I ask them not to put a straw in it, but they usually do anyways.

This is so nuts in the US. You have to ask to not get a straw...

You can/should also avoid single use cups. Like at Starbucks or so.
You can bring your own reuseable and they will refill it. Works for hot and cold drinks.

Last edited:

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some of the advice needs some nuance. Only go electric if the electricity is generated from sustainable sources. There is an all electric craze going on in the Netherlands while 7% of our electricity is from renewable sources.

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, how is not in my watched threads already?

*watches thread*

As for what I've been doing to fight climate change we've replaced all the lightbulbs in the house with LEDs, and even then I've been making an effort to keep the lights off as much as possible. I shut down my computer when I'm going to bed or when I know I'm going to be away from the house for an extended period of time. When I do laundry, I do it about once a week, and always with cold water. My showers usually take less than ten minutes. I've been cutting back on meats as much as possible. And finally, I intend to vote in the midterms next month, as well as future elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.