• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
OP I hope I'm not ruining your thread by just spamming articles lol. I'm sure you had better things in mind. As long as some people read them though maybe it's a good little repository.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

It has long been a point of contention: do individual actions make a difference, or are they pointless diversions? The question always is whether individual actions are like recycling, pointless diversions to make us feel better while the big corporations keep pumping out more CO2?

One new study, 1.5-Degree Lifestyles: Targets and options for reducing lifestyle carbon footprints from the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies and Aalto University, argues that in fact, our individual actions could add up to make a big difference. In fact, they suggest that we have no choice: "changes in consumption patterns and dominant lifestyles are a critical and integral part of the solutions package to address climate change."
In studying the lifestyles in a number of countries, the study finds that there are "hotspots" where individual changes would make the biggest difference:
Focusing efforts to change lifestyles in relation to these areas would yield the most benefits: meat and dairy consumption, fossil-fuel based energy, car use and air travel. The three domains these footprints occur in – nutrition, housing, and mobility – tend to have the largest impact (approximately 75%) on total lifestyle carbon footprints.
EhD77Ca.jpg

b9UO7p1.jpg

BPGaDHU.jpg

&

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the topic and continuous updates signal - been here ages and only just seen it/
Good to see and keep it up

As a little guy I can't do much - but then if everyone did the same as my little bit it would be a lot

I'm kinda banking on when I die having enough wealth to enact a plan I'd like to do
My will currently has the funds from my 'estate' into a trust in order to find land, buy it and planting a diverse range of trees whilst making it a public space that can never be sold. Won't do much good while I'm here but hopefully it helps future generations

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Seems like I'm an Avenger now!

Hi there,

Thank you for signing up to this humble email!

I gave a presentation recently, at Amazon ReMARS. You may have seen it. And you may have heard me admit "I am a one-man carbon footprint nightmare colossus."

Yeah, I know. I gotta work on that. We ALL have to work on our carbon footprints.

And that is why we're here, together. Hi there. Hello.

I'm going to take the next 11 months to properly plan this coalition, and I'll keep you posted as we do it.

Thanks for joining me as I get this off the ground!

With gratitude, and more to come,

—Robert Downey Jr.

At Amazon's re:MARS fest, Iron Man actor Robert Downey Jr. unveils campaign to clean up the planet
190604-downey1-630x357.jpg

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

France please , stop with your CO2 free electricity since the 80's. Some people are trying to sell backup gas generators.

Also, some interesting considerations: since seasonal storage is not feasible with technology in the near future, could we live with seasonal demand to make up for seasonal energy? Probably, yes , while we'd get about 30 days of very low (assuming nuclear + hydro baseload of at least 20% or so), or no (assuming no baseload) electricity, society could survive on a regime of 30 days off every year for Energy reasons. Automated , low temperature factories could easily shut down and restart. People would buy more food before the winter to make up for eventual sudden High pressure events (less transportation= less food) and would fill up their car as well. The baseload Energy generation would be for High temperature factory processes that have too High of an interruption cost, as well as hospitals. Residential heating could use heat storages which should be able to last in the week. This would all be facilitated by weather predictions , which would give preparation time. Slightly reduced consumptions would also be more efficient than Building million of tons of batteries to store Energy that have to be recycled every 10-15 years at reducing CO2 as metal mining and productions are hard to decarbonize, especially since those batteries would be unused 95% of the time and have a negative EROEI (same for excess panels that would be rarely used for actual Energy, and which would consume Energy over their lifetime instead of producing it because of the High downtime, unless we get new Amazing panels with 60+ years of lifetime).
Batteries would be used for Daily smoothing in such a scenario ( and High utilization, so low waste of Energy), with rich people eventually buying huge batteries to keep going in low Energy periods.

Doing that would cost us at least a magnitude less to do than actually having seasonal storage or keeping backup Fossil generation, and would be much more efficient at reducing CO2 emissions (and hopefully fusion Power Will come in the '50 to give us free Energy). Combined with Mass reafforestation, this seems to me atm the most doable possibility for reducing our climate impact. Reason why we won't do it, because like nuclear in the 80's , it would have been the most cost sensible and efficient way to reduce CO2, so Fossil fuels lobbies will kill it in favor of backup generation that need massive subsidies.

Drop me off a Cliff.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep spamming article, you're doing the god work here while his lazy ass on vacation.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reasons to be fearful?
With exquisite timing, the likely UK COP in 2020 could also be the moment the US finally pulls out of the Paris agreement.
But if Donald Trump doesn't prevail in the presidential election that position could change, with a democrat victor likely to reverse the decision.
Either step could have huge consequences for the climate fight.
Right now a number of countries seem keen to slow down progress. Last December the US, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Russia blocked the IPCC special report on 1.5C from UN talks.
Just a few weeks ago in Bonn, further objections from Saudi Arabia meant it was again dropped from the UN negotiations, much to annoyance of small island states and developing nations.

We're surely die.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Some people really don't care about the planet... No matter how much you try to appeal to them :/

"Oh, I know you know that pain
I'm hopin' that this world will change
But it just seems the same"

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Many pine trees in managed forests, such as the European spruce, take roughly 80 years to reach maturity, being net absorbers of carbon during those years of growth – but once they reach maturity, they shed roughly as much carbon through the decomposition of needles and fallen branches as they absorb. As was the case in Austria in the 1990s, plummeting demand for paper and wood saw huge swathes of managed forests globally fall into disuse. Rather than return to pristine wilderness, these monocrops cover forest floors in acidic pine needles and dead branches. Canada's great forests for example have actually emitted more carbon than they absorb since 2001, thanks to mature trees no longer being actively felled. Arguably, the best form of carbon sequestration is to chop down trees: to restore our sustainable, managed forests, and use the resulting wood as a building material. Managed forests certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) typically plant two to three trees for every tree felled – meaning the more demand there is for wood, the greater the growth in both forest cover and CO2-hungry young trees.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Looking more into mass tree planting, there seems to be some research about possible downsides, or at least lack of efficacy, in some areas, because of things like emissions released by trees and the increase light absorption negating the benefits of CO2 capture. While presumably still more positive than negative in most cases, no real problem with more research (urgency aside) and could just lead to more exact recommendations of things like tree species to use and most beneficial areas to plant.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you people are interested in following scientist for stuff like Climate Change, then I recommend following Michael E. Mann and Katherine Hayhoe on Twitter. They really shed a lot of light on some stuff that I think some might not know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Looking more into mass tree planting, there seems to be some research about possible downsides, or at least lack of efficacy, in some areas, because of things like emissions released by trees and the increase light absorption negating the benefits of CO2 capture. While presumably still more positive than negative in most cases, no real problem with more research (urgency aside) and could just lead to more exact recommendations of things like tree species to use and most beneficial areas to plant.

Damn that's a bummer. We'll see what the future data will tell us but it seems planting trees may not be the great solution we though it was.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Seeing clearly: Revised computer code accurately models an instability in fusion plasmas

In the future, the researchers want to determine what happens between instabilities to get a fuller sense of what's occuring in the plasma. In the meantime, Podestà and the other scientists are encouraged by the current results. "We now see a path forward to improving the ways that we can simulate certain mechanisms that disturb plasma particles," Podestà said. "This brings us closer to reliable and quantitative predictions for the performance of future fusion reactors."

Status
Not open for further replies.