• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
There are bosses that are going to wreck you soon enough. There is a certain forest that is known to put up a good challenge.
I hope so, I'd like a challenge, especially now that I have all characters. There's lots of possibilities for character tactics now. I mean, I could have jumped to a higher level quest before, but that would require tons of grinding, so I decided to go the natural route and get all the characters and then move to Chapter 2. I'm still below the level required, but we'll see how it goes.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so, I'd like a challenge, especially now that I have all characters. There's lots of possibilities for character tactics now. I mean, I could have jumped to a higher level quest before, but that would require tons of grinding, so I decided to go the natural route and get all the characters and then move to Chapter 2. I'm still below the level required, but we'll see how it goes.
I have had trouble with three bosses so far. (All optional) Most of them are easy but there are some spikes here and there.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Omg, is this qualifies as good writing because dear Lord it's bad.

The battle system is really good but the very first "tutorial" boss literally had x3 your HP with 2 extra henchman. Just how grindy this game is gonna get, any ideas ?

Oct 25, 2017
Omg, is this qualifies as good writing because dear Lord it's bad.

The battle system is really good but the very first "tutorial" boss literally had x3 your HP with 2 extra henchman. Just how grindy this game is gonna get, any ideas ?

The game isn't at all grindy, because level barely does fuck-all other than increasing your max HP.

You need to learn the basics of the break/boost system and use Path Actions to increase your overall power level.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which character did you start with? But the answer is quite a lot. It's an old school JRPG.
The Scholar I think. The one which has to track down ancient spell book.
The game isn't at all grindy, because level barely does fuck-all other than increasing your max HP.

You need to learn the basics of the break/boost system and use Path Actions to increase your overall power level.
How generous are the items drop ?
Because amount of item I used in tutorial boss is already greater than what I use in whole games. gotta hoarder problem. Should I farm money to buy stuff/weapons or items in the wild are much better.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

Because amount of item I used in tutorial boss is already greater than what I use in whole games. gotta hoarder problem. Should I farm money to buy stuff/weapons or items in the wild are much better.

Long story short, two of the four main path actions, Cyrus/Alfin can find items by talking with Npc's, but the real item gainers, Therion/Tressa, can Steal/Barter powerful equipment from Npc's in different areas!

Enemies don't drop equipment (only certain bosses do,) and as such you will need to upgrade your stuff at different shops or using characters to find stuff with their path actions.

The beginning migh be a bit tough, try to buy some better equipment if you need it for Cyrus's first chapter alone, then afterwards travel south to get Tressa and you'll be in a good place to get started in getting useful stuff as you circumnavigate the starting areas, collecting the protagonists!

If you wanna reload to get broken equipment, Therion is your guy, though Tressa has very useful abilities as well. You can use both, but it's a good idea to try to keep one of each main path-action in the party so you don't have to switch characters all the time when you get somewhere new.

Warning though, Therion's needed to open purple chests in the dungeons, although their contents aren't strictly necessary. Getting Tressa first will help you build up cash, since she passively finds money as you traverse dangerous areas, and go through area transitions.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Long story short, two of the four main path actions, Cyrus/Alfin can find items by talking with Npc's, but the real item gainers, Therion/Tressa, can Steal/Barter powerful equipment from Npc's in different areas!

Enemies don't drop equipment (only certain bosses do,) and as such you will need to upgrade your stuff at different shops or using characters to find stuff with their path actions.

The beginning migh be a bit tough, try to buy some better equipment if you need it for Cyrus's first chapter alone, then afterwards travel south to get Tressa and you'll be in a good place to get started in getting useful stuff as you circumnavigate the starting areas, collecting the protagonists!

If you wanna reload to get broken equipment, Therion is your guy, though Tressa has very useful abilities as well. You can use both, but it's a good idea to try to keep one of each main path-action in the party so you don't have to switch characters all the time when you get somewhere new.

Warning though, Therion's needed to open purple chests in the dungeons, although their contents aren't strictly necessary. Getting Tressa first will help you build up cash, since she passively finds money as you traverse dangerous areas, and go through area transitions.
I tried to do alfin's story early on and one of his bosses was like hitting a brick wall.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Healing items and such are pretty common in chests. Generally, you won't want to buy much equipment directly from vendors after the beginning of the game. Instead, the best items usually come from using the Steal or Purchase path actions on NPCs. As one example, one of the best axes in the game can be stolen (3% chance) from an NPC in Alfyn's starting town.

You really need to learn the ins and outs of the Break & Boost systems; Octopath is all about creating windows to deal maximum damage, exponentially greater than you can outside of said windows. If you don't utilize Break & Boost correctly, fights will take much longer than intended. (This gets much easier and more flexible as you recruit a full party.)

I don't remember the specifics of Cyrus' first boss, but it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to defeat. You probably want to use Cyrus' AoE spells to quickly take care of his lackeys. After that, conserve BP until you break the boss (or use excess BP to break the boss if it readies a charge-up attack); once he's broken, 3x boost an elemental attack for massive damage. Should only take a couple of those to defeat it.

And regarding the writing, for what it's worth I found Cyrus' story to be one of the least compelling. Primrose's Chapter 1 is generally considered the best-written introductory chapter -- perhaps the only excellent Chapter 1. But all the stories have some great chapters once you get past the introductions.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I picked this game up again after taking a long break; everyone is on their final chapter except for Ophilia

I started with Olberic which made all the other opening chapters easy as he hit like a truck and usually they were weak to his sword on spear.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
This is on sale for 50% off, worth getting? Just finished up DQ XI and TMS: #FE so I'm looking for another JRPG fix.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This is on sale for 50% off, worth getting? Just finished up DQ XI and TMS: #FE so I'm looking for another JRPG fix.

Absolutely. Just go in aware that it's not structured like your typical JRPG with a strong overarching narrative and ensemble cast. Rather, it's eight personal short stories with less party interaction. As long as your expectations are in the right place there, you should have a great time.

Octopath has rewarding combat and job systems, great exploration, top tier OST, and charming characters and stories.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Ugh I really think I'm about done with this. Started it a year ago, and although I liked the combat, the lack of a story made it a chore to keep playing, and the large level jumps between chapters was super disheartening because it meant lots of grinding. Managed to get through everyone's chapter 3's, and the jump for the chapter 4 bosses was a big fuck you so I took a break. Did some grinding up to lv 50 for my main 4 recently and was able to finish their chapter 4s pretty easy, but I've just been carrying my other 4 through their chapters with Cyrus, H'aanit and Ophilia, and they're too weak to get through their chapter 4s now.

They're just too many characters. I've had to do so much grinding so far, and I just don't think it's worth it doing another probably 5-10 hours for another 5 mins of shallow story per character. Thought this game would eventually become worth my time, but after 45 hours, I'm really just wishing I never even bought it. Not sure I've ever felt a game was as big of a waste of my time as this has been.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I really think I'm about done with this. Started it a year ago, and although I liked the combat, the lack of a story made it a chore to keep playing, and the large level jumps between chapters was super disheartening because it meant lots of grinding. Managed to get through everyone's chapter 3's, and the jump for the chapter 4 bosses was a big fuck you so I took a break. Did some grinding up to lv 50 for my main 4 recently and was able to finish their chapter 4s pretty easy, but I've just been carrying my other 4 through their chapters with Cyrus, H'aanit and Ophilia, and they're too weak to get through their chapter 4s now.

They're just too many characters. I've had to do so much grinding so far, and I just don't think it's worth it doing another probably 5-10 hours for another 5 mins of shallow story per character. Thought this game would eventually become worth my time, but after 45 hours, I'm really just wishing I never even bought it. Not sure I've ever felt a game was as big of a waste of my time as this has been.
I don't want to say you played it wrong, but imo you kinda played it wrong. There shouldn't be any grinding whatsoever, and I think barreling through with an unchanging party definitely adds way more monotony than intended. I doubt that's what they had in mind when they made it and I never understood the insistence by some to do it. The game is amazingly fun if you switch up your party (and thus your strategy) each chapter. And play with everyone. Going through with just four is likely why you had to grind some, and then it makes the back half boring as you drag along others.

I know it's too late for you, but I hope others see this. Explore. Experiment. Have fun with all the characters. Delve into the battle system. Don't grind. And definitely don't treat the game as a checklist. Marvel at its beauty and try some new things.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to say you played it wrong, but imo you kinda played it wrong. There shouldn't be any grinding whatsoever, and I think barreling through with an unchanging party definitely adds way more monotony than intended. I doubt that's what they had in mind when they made it and I never understood the insistence by some to do it. The game is amazingly fun if you switch up your party (and thus your strategy) each chapter. And play with everyone. Going through with just four is likely why you had to grind some, and then it makes the back half boring as you drag along others.

I know it's too late for you, but I hope others see this. Explore. Experiment. Have fun with all the characters. Delve into the battle system. Don't grind. And definitely don't treat the game as a checklist. Marvel at its beauty and try some new things.

He's right about the story stuff though. Blah.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
He's right about the story stuff though. Blah.
I disagree. It features 8 charming stories that all feel really different from each other but also from the rpg landscape as a whole. The characters shine, even some NPCs (especially after endgame). It's different and maybe not for everyone but I really enjoyed the breath of fresh air it provided from the usual world destroying evil sort of thing (though that is partially there in the endgame).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

The game by design is set up to encourage you to need to swap party setups and dual classing around often. If you never built party members in other classes to gain abilities to improve them in areas then you missed the point of the entire class system itself. In general by the end you should easily be able to have one of about any magic or weapon in your party to take advantage constantly. Till you multi class the party constantly shifts per story needs and once you can multiclass you change it up more to gain proficiency and skills for everyone.

The core of each characters story in their journey is something that youd struggle to finish if you did a main 4. In fact the true ending has the concept of make everyone useful and multi class often so ingrained into it that it's likely impossible to defeat the final boss unless you had all 8 able to swap into two groups of 4 and still be equally deadly.
True ending is fairly hidden with a chain of npc side quests that seem innocuous and of little value until the very last one reveals a dnd Big Bad EvilGuy sorta reveal. The main plot was just accomplishing the character journeys. The final is a world lore journey. If played right you can wipe all the bosses on your way to the final showdown fairly easily without resource drains.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020

See I don't really understand this. The whole reason I stuck with one party, is because even using the same 3 characters for 8 chapters, those 3 were still massively under leveled for the next set of chapters. I felt like I was forced into using the same party the whole game, otherwise I would've had to grind 2-3x as much as characters would be even more under leveled then. I did every characters' chapter 1, and then I'm expected to be like 10-15 levels higher than I am before I start chapter 2s. How am I possibly supposed to make up that level gap without grinding? I'm not one to do side quests in RPGs because they're damn boring, so maybe that's why, but I feel like Exp is given out rather scarcely, and doing a ton of them wouldn't have really made a difference.

I also felt some of the characters (more so classes) aren't that useful either. You obviously need a healer, having 2 mages is extremely useful for breaking enemies, apothecary and warrior do some great damage, thief is great for debuffs, and dancer for buffs. Merchant and Hunter really aren't great, and because I chose H'aanit as my main, I was stuck with Hunter taking up one of my class slots the entire game (granted foothold trap is pretty great). So it's not like I really lacked much in my party except for wind magic, which is rarely a weakness anyway. I didn't feel the need to change characters because I had access to every weapon and ability I needed at all times.

Like it feels like I've been playing the game wrong the entire 45 hours, but it also feels like I didn't really have any other choice but to play it like I did. How does the game expect you to change party members constantly when the level jump between chapters is so massive and you get absolutely destroyed if you're under-leveled.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Switching party members around a lot does add to the monotony. Sticking to a core 4 is actually how I'd recommend playing the game. But you should definitely be switching classes.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
See I don't really understand this. The whole reason I stuck with one party, is because even using the same 3 characters for 8 chapters, those 3 were still massively under leveled for the next set of chapters. I felt like I was forced into using the same party the whole game, otherwise I would've had to grind 2-3x as much as characters would be even more under leveled then. I did every characters' chapter 1, and then I'm expected to be like 10-15 levels higher than I am before I start chapter 2s. How am I possibly supposed to make up that level gap without grinding? I'm not one to do side quests in RPGs because they're damn boring, so maybe that's why, but I feel like Exp is given out rather scarcely, and doing a ton of them wouldn't have really made a difference.

I also felt some of the characters (more so classes) aren't that useful either. You obviously need a healer, having 2 mages is extremely useful for breaking enemies, apothecary and warrior do some great damage, thief is great for debuffs, and dancer for buffs. Merchant and Hunter really aren't great, and because I chose H'aanit as my main, I was stuck with Hunter taking up one of my class slots the entire game (granted foothold trap is pretty great). So it's not like I really lacked much in my party except for wind magic, which is rarely a weakness anyway. I didn't feel the need to change characters because I had access to every weapon and ability I needed at all times.

Like it feels like I've been playing the game wrong the entire 45 hours, but it also feels like I didn't really have any other choice but to play it like I did. How does the game expect you to change party members constantly when the level jump between chapters is so massive and you get absolutely destroyed if you're under-leveled.

Sigh. Mate, you played yourself. Let me just copy/paste a pertinent post of mine from another thread:

You don't need to grind. Levels mean practically nothing in Octopath -- most of what they give you, statistically, is more HP and MP. A low level character will deal roughly similar damage and healing as a high level character in identical gear/abilities.

Don't take recommended and danger levels at face value. Really. You can often handle things 10++ levels higher than your group as long as your gear and party build are decent.

If you really want to 'grind' to trivialize the game, the way to do it isn't by levels, but by rare stealing powerful equipment from early NPCs. But, again, the game is not assuming you are doing such rare stealing -- it's an option that will trivialize things. A good example is the Golden Axe from Alfyn's starting town, which is the second strongest axe in the game, available as soon as you recruit Therion and H'aanit for their path actions.

The reason the Chapter 2 recommended levels are such a steep gap from Chapter 1, or relative to the Ch2 -> Ch3 or Ch3 -> Ch4 gaps, is because the game is trying to encourage you to explore and discover the sub-job shrines. If you go around getting some or all of those, not only will your levels naturally be around the Chapter 2 recommendations, but your party will be far more powerful because of the sub-jobs alone.

If you thought you were that disadvantaged by levels, you simply weren't engaging with the battle/job systems correctly. Hard to say exactly how without more info.

The game is all about setting up synergistic party builds, and in battle, setting up burst windows where the boss is defensively debuffed and your damage dealers are offensively buffed, then you break and triple boost your damage.

Grinding is doubly unnecessary because not only are levels not too impactful, but by endgame, you can efficiently level everyone with the +EXP/JP postgame accessories and advanced job passives — meaning the only time you'd want to get everyone high level, for the optional super boss, it can be done inside of an hour.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

This is kind of what killed the game for me. The art direction and combat are really good but the characters and story are not.

None of the characters resonated with me and part of it is the very poor pacing of the story resulting from its segmentation. It's also hard to care about this band when they almost never interact with one another.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Never went back to kill the final secret boss that requires you to grind your b team for hours. Game was good but how they handled that final fight left me sour on the hole thing unfortunately. Still loved the artsyle and the combat system, characters were also alright.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
If you thought you were that disadvantaged by levels, you simply weren't engaging with the battle/job systems correctly. Hard to say exactly how without more info.

The game is all about setting up synergistic party builds, and in battle, setting up burst windows where the boss is defensively debuffed and your damage dealers are offensively buffed, then you break and triple boost your damage.

Grinding is doubly unnecessary because not only are levels not too impactful, but by endgame, you can efficiently level everyone with the +EXP/JP postgame accessories and advanced job passives — meaning the only time you'd want to get everyone high level, for the optional super boss, it can be done inside of an hour.
I honestly don't see what more I could have done with the combat system though? I had H'aanit + Apothecary, Ophilia + Scholar, Cyrus + Dancer, Therion + Warrior. If I knew of a passive that would benefit someone, I'd get them it. I didn't really see any value in swapping jobs much because at the end of the day, I'd still end up with a similar mix because most fights are the same in the sense that you need buff + debuffs, multi-hit attacks for breaks, heavy hitters for massive damage, and healing.

I literally do as you suggest for battles. I would delay Breaks until I had properly set up buffs and debuffs, and then I'd usually use Ophilia's special skill to give H'aanit the x2 skill ability, hit for double 9k+, also hit for 9k+ with Therion, and generally use Cyrus to help manage BP or individual healing if necessary before the next phase. Yet at level 45 I wouldn't survive long enough to do it enough times before the final bosses would randomly OHKO me, much less 10 levels lower than that like you're suggesting. Levels very much had a big impact on my ability to get through fights in my experience.

The game encourages me to not explore because I get destroyed everywhere off the main path, so I'm guided away from those areas for now, therefore I'm underleveled for main missions and also get destroyed there, therefore I'm left with no option but to grind really... Utilizing the battle system doesn't even matter when you just die so fast anyway. I've heard quite a lot of people say the game is easy when you know to steal (and reset 50+ times I might add) or find x specific thing, but how is anyone supposed to know that when they're playing blind? If they don't know, are they then playing wrong? It just feels like the game isn't giving you much freedom to actually get through it. I'm just one of many who apparently played it wrong and didn't get the message the game was trying to tell me (and in fact was guided to think the opposite).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see what more I could have done with the combat system though? I had H'aanit + Apothecary, Ophilia + Scholar, Cyrus + Dancer, Therion + Warrior. If I knew of a passive that would benefit someone, I'd get them it. I didn't really see any value in swapping jobs much because at the end of the day, I'd still end up with a similar mix because most fights are the same in the sense that you need buff + debuffs, multi-hit attacks for breaks, heavy hitters for massive damage, and healing.

I literally do as you suggest for battles. I would delay Breaks until I had properly set up buffs and debuffs, and then I'd usually use Ophilia's special skill to give H'aanit the x2 skill ability, hit for double 9k+, also hit for 9k+ with Therion, and generally use Cyrus to help manage BP or individual healing if necessary before the next phase. Yet at level 45 I wouldn't survive long enough to do it enough times before the final bosses would randomly OHKO me, much less 10 levels lower than that like you're suggesting. Levels very much had a big impact on my ability to get through fights in my experience.

The game encourages me to not explore because I get destroyed everywhere off the main path, so I'm guided away from those areas for now, therefore I'm underleveled for main missions and also get destroyed there, therefore I'm left with no option but to grind really... Utilizing the battle system doesn't even matter when you just die so fast anyway. I've heard quite a lot of people say the game is easy when you know to steal (and reset 50+ times I might add) or find x specific thing, but how is anyone supposed to know that when they're playing blind? If they don't know, are they then playing wrong? It just feels like the game isn't giving you much freedom to actually get through it. I'm just one of many who apparently played it wrong and didn't get the message the game was trying to tell me (and in fact was guided to think the opposite).
Cyrus in general is using his attack k magic to waste folks most of the game. Alfyn is great as a healer and does respectable damage but it's all in the equipment. One of the best to dual class. Merchant is phenomenal and honestly using her as your main is considered the easiest route. She hits a ton of times so breaks folks easy, makes you money, gets you discounts and even pumps out BP to make everyone else whose on damage duty do more hits and damage.Her ability to hire as an attack let's you abuse weapon weaknesses like mad, plus keeping her around means constant money so you can get top geared for everyone and even at a discount.

Those are all just here and there things though...not doing side quests in octopath means you missed most of the stories in the game because everyone had one and it also means you missed most of the rewards which is why everyone felt "under leveled".

You really did miss the point the game was trying to drive home by forcing the same few characters and main questing non stop. So many secrets, and stories, and histories abound in the side quests and the loot allows you to break enemies and deal with things with ease. Even when it's just money you end up so loaded you can buy the optimal gear for every point in the game. Absolutely no way you can beat the final true ending boss fight if you didnt get the point of gear and how to make everyone a great tool which is honestly a natural occurrence if you take the constant bait and get interested in all the quests in an area.

Heck no sidequests means you likely missed the super powerful secret classes.

I think I rocked merchant apothecary scholar and misc in my runs a lot. Often healer so I could rock the heal above your max hp tactic of let a bitch die then heal em with large olive of life which would bring em back if they have that skull with 9999 life.
You can play blind and just abuse breaks nonstop outside of boss battles where you save em up and wipe most areas out.

Last edited:

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Cyrus in general is using his attack k magic to waste folks most of the game. Alfyn is great as a healer and does respectable damage but it's all in the equipment. One of the best to dual class. Merchant is phenomenal and honestly using her as your main is considered the easiest route. She hits a ton of times so breaks folks easy, makes you money, gets you discounts and even pumps out BP to make everyone else whose on damage duty do more hits and damage.Her ability to hire as an attack let's you abuse weapon weaknesses like mad, plus keeping her around means constant money so you can get top geared for everyone and even at a discount.

Those are all just here and there things though...not doing side quests in octopath means you missed most of the stories in the game because everyone had one and it also means you missed most of the rewards which is why everyone felt "under leveled".

You really did miss the point the game was trying to drive home by forcing the same few characters and main questing non stop. So many secrets, and stories, and histories abound in the side quests and the loot allows you to break enemies and deal with things with ease. Even when it's just money you end up so loaded you can buy the optimal gear for every point in the game. Absolutely no way you can beat the final true ending boss fight if you didnt get the point of gear and how to make everyone a great tool which is honestly a natural occurrence if you take the constant bait and get interested in all the quests in an area.

Heck no sidequests means you likely missed the super powerful secret classes.

I think I rocked merchant apothecary scholar and misc in my runs a lot. Often healer so I could rock the heal above your max hp tactic of let a bitch die then heal em with large olive of life which would bring em back if they have that skull with 9999 life.
You can play blind and just abuse breaks nonstop outside of boss battles where you save em up and wipe most areas out.
My experience with the game was that I completed every characters chapter 1, and yet all the surrounding dungeons, as well as all the chapter 2s absolutely destroyed me due to the level gap, so I made the assumption that the game is just about grinding to fill the gap (let's face it, lots of jrpgs are like that). So I did the same after every set of chapters, opting against using other characters as it would just increase that time. I felt the game was guiding me against doing side content, because right from the start it was killing me far too easily. If it's that easy for a player to get misguided, I don't really know what else to say. It's why I didn't particularly like the game, because it felt like every path was the wrong one, but I had to march on anyways.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
My experience with the game was that I completed every characters chapter 1, and yet all the surrounding dungeons, as well as all the chapter 2s absolutely destroyed me due to the level gap, so I made the assumption that the game is just about grinding to fill the gap (let's face it, lots of jrpgs are like that). So I did the same after every set of chapters, opting against using other characters as it would just increase that time. I felt the game was guiding me against doing side content, because right from the start it was killing me far too easily. If it's that easy for a player to get misguided, I don't really know what else to say. It's why I didn't particularly like the game, because it felt like every path was the wrong one, but I had to march on anyways.
But you refused to do side quests or wonder off path? Even though every person in every town and in the overworld had icons on their head. The game was even advertised on the premise that as you interacted with the world the things you did for or to the people would change all the aspects of the world itself. The game was pushing that pretty hard out there. It was even said that to tell 8 seperate stories about 8 lives in a world where you could move nonlinearly around that the only way to really tell a story would be through sidequests. Beat a character chapter unlock new ones. Some self contained to an area, some multipart, some overworld and some that lead you around the world. This was the pattern and it was there not only from the start no matter who you chose to start as but before the start from every review. Unless all you'd heard was RPG and paid attention to the artstyle it was pretty big. Playing it that way was designed into every aspect of the design so you'd naturally end up with all 8 as fully functional in any loadout because to get sidequests you often need to swap whose in your party in a town to clear it out.

Game wasn't telling you it was all about grind and stay on the path or nothing progresses by punishing you. It was reinforcing it'd be more rewarding to maybe try to do any of the other dozens of things it had teased you to side quest on for a bit instead. If you had you'd have found those teasing tons of story, gear, loot and experience that was the appropriate quest danger level for where you were at and those would have reinforced exploring off path through rewards.
The chapter quests are there only for when you run out of other stuff to do. They weren't the main goal.

Im sorry you've reached a point where pushing one loadout and streamlining chapters doesn't work anymore but thats a lot of hours to just keep ignoring sidequests and exploring off the path when the game surrounded you with constant motivators showing there were people to interact with that had stories or things located in odd places. Especially starting Haanit because her forest had chests and things hidden all around constantly to get you in the mindset to explore off path more. Without exploring off path you'd also never find things like the optional classes that are super powerful.

Its rather amazing how far you got playing under these self imposed rules and assumptions to stay main path no sidequest. I didn't know it was even possible to get that far. Its like a Nuzlock run. The amount of gold you get from doing those alone is astronomical and not running a merchant ever meant that as you entered new screens of the map you werent gaining free money or using discounts at stores which is also mind boggling. Much less the fact that merchants are BP factories for the party and hit a shit ton of times to break with any weapon. Normal runs never see you short on cash so you load up on things like pomegranites, olives, and the best of each towns weaponry and gear in general before moving out. Finishing a towns quest was generally set to allow you to afford the towns stuff in most cases.

If you decide to actually side quest and level someone dont worry. just have em play defensive or support only for a few and rip shit with your cyrus. They'll gain xp so long as they're still alive. Just stock up on olives and maybe dual class them with a healer asap to gain levels for the "heal above max hp" trick. That helps when leveling because if they need to be resurrected with olives a lot they just end up healthier than when they started up to 9999. They gain levels super fast and catch up in no time. Honestly though...do the side quests and get everyone all the class skills. Its not the game. Its that you didn't play most of it. All your story and world building was missed the way you played too.

Sorry but...you can't really blame the game when you refused to do what it kept suggesting for 45 hours and explore your party, towns, world and sidequests. Its not a "how was I supposed to know scenario."" when you ignored all that through self imposed rules and restrictions with so many areas swarming with folks begging you to explore there stories as quest givers.

I guarantee if you go back and start doing side quests and rotating party members to find more quests and multiclass strats for each character you will see the game explode in front of you with moments of "holy shit how was all this here!?" moments of story content, insane tactics with each character to wipe enemies and secrets throughout the world and especially party. Stop playing under your rules and start playing under the rules the game was trying to enforce which is stop trying to plow chapters and fully explore the quests and areas before moving along.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I just got an update on my Switch to version 1.0.4. I wonder what this is for?!
Maybe related to its LE release in South Korea today?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Champions of the Continent (the Octopath prequel mobile game) is getting a JP release date announced on September 18th, according to gematsu.

Hopefully we'll see the game localized at some point afterward... =\ In the meantime, have a newly released song by Nishiki:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Boooo I was secretly hoping the radio silence meant it had grown in scope and was moving over to Switch instead of staying on mobile

Oct 25, 2017
Boooo I was secretly hoping the radio silence meant it had grown in scope and was moving over to Switch instead of staying on mobile

Everything about the game is tailored to mobile and gacha mechanics. A console release isn't impossible, but that's not what the project is.

They've already announced they are working on another main game in the series, and I suspect it will recycle a bunch of NPC and character artwork from both of the previous games.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's the JP release date (next month):

Still unknown if or when it'll see worldwide release. Should be cool to hear JP players' impressions, at least.