• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AMAKAN93

May 5, 2018
I Beat 2 Caits and somehow got both EXPx100 and JPx100

hR8vbTv.jpg

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's impressive how absolutely god awful Tressa's story is. No idea what they were going for in that one, just random events strung along together with some bad Disney levels of cheese.

It's ironic that Leon is by far a better character overall even though we don't see much of him. Would much rather have had his story of a pirate-gone-good than whatever this was supposed to be.

6 Chapter 4s done so far and I'm happy with them all minus Tressa and H'annitt (the dialogue was just so appaling I had to auto-skip every cutscene).

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I Beat 2 Caits and somehow got both EXPx100 and JPx100

hR8vbTv.jpg

Jesus christ

Yo can you send some of that my way

It's impressive how absolutely god awful Tressa's story is. No idea what they were going for in that one, just random events strung along together with some bad Disney levels of cheese.

It's ironic that Leon is by far a better character overall even though we don't see much of him. Would much rather have had his story of a pirate-gone-good than whatever this was supposed to be.

6 Chapter 4s done so far and I'm happy with them all minus Tressa and H'annitt (the dialogue was just so appaling I had to auto-skip every cutscene).

Tressa's story is definitely corny, but I liked that (like Alfyn's) it was more of a character piece than anything else. The other six stories have big overarching things, so I'm fine that one or two of them go to a more vignette style. And I kind of liked that her final boss was just a case of her stumbling into something much bigger than herself without even realizing it.

That said if you weren't bought in I can instantly see how Tressa's big speech would go over like nails on a chalkboard.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommended order for the advanced shrines?

Sorcerer is best to do first, because it's easily cheesed and also gives you a powerful class to use against the others. Starseer is easily done by the same method (AoE Reflect).

You'll want to do Runelord before Warbringer so you can trivialize the latter with AoE Sidestep with Runelord Tressa.

I did Runelord first, going in without any strategy, and it was pretty harrowing. Having Sorcerer would make it a lot easier.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Sorcerer is best to do first, because it's easily cheesed and also gives you a powerful class to use against the others. Starseer is easily done by the same method (AoE Reflect).

You'll want to do Runelord before Warbringer so you can trivialize the latter with AoE Sidestep with Runelord Tressa.

I did Runelord first, going in without any strategy, and it was pretty harrowing. Having Sorcerer would make it a lot easier.
The key part of every boss fight isn't Sorcerer, but a Hunter, the leg holding skill is needed in every hard fight

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sorcerer first and Warmaster last is the usual recommendation, with Starseer/Runelord being roughly equal in terms of difficulty in the middle.
Ahahahahahahaha coyld have said that before i did no cheese sorcerer and runelord

Warmeister required me some grinding(and going back because i had a terrible party for it) i wanna know where is the starseer D:

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Final dungeon question
Is is necessary to kill all the shadow bosses behind the purple flames? That's going to take a while and it's not very fun to fight the same bosses you've fought before...

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I miss this game. Hell, I didn't care much for the world design, but I want to play more. I love this divisions games.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Let's rank the character individual themes! Because why not. (Or, I just finished Cyrus' chapter 4, and his theme is baller and one of my favourites and it inspired me to make this useless list).

1. Cyrus*
  2. Olberic*
  3. Therion
  4. Primrose
  5. Ophilia
  6. Tressa
  7. H'aanit
  8. Alfyn

It's crazy how good the first 4 are, and how kinda... dull the last 4 are in comparison.

* First two are possibly tied tbh, hard to decide.

Oct 27, 2017
Hitting a wall with a chapter 2 boss that just wipes my team no matter that we're a level or two above. The chapter 2 boss that's in the woods, trying to avoid spoilers.

I've been grinding a bit, trying to use BG to level up quickly but that takes forever.

I hear that i'm Supposed to get better gear but i don't get a lot of money to buy more gear and the few times i've Tried to steal Late game gear i spend 30 minutes save scumming to no avail.

Any tips on what i should do? Feel like i'm Beating my head against a wall here

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Hitting a wall with a chapter 2 boss that just wipes my team no matter that we're a level or two above. The chapter 2 boss that's in the woods, trying to avoid spoilers.

I've been grinding a bit, trying to use BG to level up quickly but that takes forever.

I hear that i'm Supposed to get better gear but i don't get a lot of money to buy more gear and the few times i've Tried to steal Late game gear i spend 30 minutes save scumming to no avail.

Any tips on what i should do? Feel like i'm Beating my head against a wall here

What's your strategy/setup (and which boss is it again?)

Oct 27, 2017
What's your strategy/setup (and which boss is it again?)
The wolf boss in ophila's chapter 2.

I can get it down to nearly dead but that damn shield always getting bigger gets me.

I think its level 24 or 25, my party is hannit (28), Ophelia (27), prim (24) and Cyrus (21)

I love the combat system, music, vibe, art and everything. Just hitting wall here

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017

I can get it down to nearly dead but that damn shield always getting bigger gets me.

I think its level 24 or 25, my party is hannit (28), Ophelia (27), prim (24) and Cyrus (21)

I love the combat system, music, vibe, art and everything. Just hitting wall here

Subjobs, etc.? What's your strategy? If you're dealing with the shield count increasing maybe line up your attacks with your breaks better?

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch

Your levels seems fine. What subjobs do you have?

Maybe change Cyrus/Primrose for someone beefier like Alfyn or Olberic. Use multihitting attacks like thousand spears or rain of arrows, always hits at least 3 times, more if you boost it. Also if you have a Merchant, the weakest summon of Hired Help gives a defense buff to your party and it's pretty cheap.

Hope that helps!

Oct 27, 2017
Your levels seems fine. What subjobs do you have?

Maybe change Cyrus/Primrose for someone beefier like Alfyn or Olberic. Use multihitting attacks like thousand spears or rain of arrows, always hits at least 3 times, more if you boost it. Also if you have a Merchant, the weakest summon of Hired Help gives a defense buff to your party and it's pretty cheap.

Hope that helps!
Thanks!

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
85 hours and haven't started any chapter 4 yet. I have 2 secret jobs and I'm working on some side quests

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Primrose's Chapter 3 as my last one last night, and now going around getting to the Chapter 4 towns to unlock them for fast travel and finding the advanced job shrines. I'm close to 60 hours now.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The Chapter 3's are absolutely crushing me, and I am *this* close to not playing the game anymore. I'm sick of grinding and tired of getting crushed on bosses where I am going in with the recommended levels.

Anyone have any tips for the bosses in Alfyn's or Therion's 3rd Chapters?

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really trying to push through the game, but some things are just so damn jarring to me.
about midway through, I'm pretty tired of every chapter being structured the exact same way, and what makes it worse is that I'm not completely interested in what even happening in half of the travelers stories. combats fun, music is amazing, art is gorgeous. But man the story, pacing, and structure feels like a one sided mess. still enjoying the game for what it is though :)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The Chapter 3's are absolutely crushing me, and I am *this* close to not playing the game anymore. I'm sick of grinding and tired of getting crushed on bosses where I am going in with the recommended levels.

I can't remember the specific gameplay details of those bosses, but I never needed to grind so far. Here's a strategy that's worked for me for almost every single boss:
Always try to "time" the Break when your party is ready to unleash maximum damage. This means:
- At least 3 BP for your "main" damage dealer (this would usually be Olberic or H'aanit or maybe Therion, using their Divine Skill). Even better if you have more than one such character. Use pomegranates or the Merchant ability Donate BP if you have to
- Surpassing Power as passive ability on your main damage dealer(s)
- Atk. Up (either through Abide by Olberic on himself, or the dancer ability Lion's Dance) on said "main" damage dealer
- Def. Down on boss (use the Thief ability Corrosive Armor)

When you have all those conditions met at the same time, break the boss, then unleash those divine skills. You should do between 15-25k damage by then, maybe more. Obviously they should have the strongest available equipment. You might also need a dedicated healer through the Cleric class to keep your health up. For most bosses (before chapter 4 at least), you will only need to do this cycle twice to win, sometimes less if you keep chipping away at it with other skills too.

The only bosses for whom this wasn't always possible (sometimes I'd have time to cast Def. Down but not Atk. Up, or vice-versa) was against some optional bosses in chapter 4, sometimes I just needed to break the boss urgently because otherwise it'd play his next turn and wreck me. Otherwise, this has been my go-to strategy for pretty much the whole game and I never needed to grind, though I rotated my party regularly to keep everyone decently levelled up and tried to have no one "lagging" behind for too long. I got wiped only twice in 70 hours, and it was due to (optional) bosses doing annoying KO/sleep abnormal status, when I tried it again with a few accessories nullifying those I had no problem.

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch

They're probably two of the strongest bosses of CH3, way above the recommended level. I don't know your party or gear but at least with Alfyn keep Leghold Trap as much as possible to keep him in break state, also keep his attack down and your defense up with max boost Hired Help , and stay fully healed .

You can take a similar approach with Therion boss.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just working my way through Ch2 and I've ended up with 3 very over levelled and 5 very under levelled characters. I'm trying not to use the three for everything but it's hard. I didn't really know about subclasses until much later than I think you're meant to so I only had two characters with a healing spell, etc. With sub classes hopefully I can balance out more.

Can you just not remove your main character from your party at all? She's always locked in it seems.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the soundtrack on iTunes (which for some reason is a lot cheaper than Amazon). It's so good, listening to the final boss theme right now, the vocals fit so well.

I'm just working my way through Ch2 and I've ended up with 3 very over levelled and 5 very under levelled characters. I'm trying not to use the three for everything but it's hard. I didn't really know about subclasses until much later than I think you're meant to so I only had two characters with a healing spell, etc. With sub classes hopefully I can balance out more.

Can you just not remove your main character from your party at all? She's always locked in it seems.
You have to keep your starting protagonist in the party until you finish their story (chapter 4), after that you can leave them at the tavern. My advice would be to always swap out characters in every chapter to collect EXP and JP for all of them. If you have two clerics, you should be fine. I suggest Primrose as the second cleric.

Oct 27, 2017
You have to keep your starting protagonist in the party until you finish their story (chapter 4), after that you can leave them at the tavern. My advice would be to always swap out characters in every chapter to collect EXP and JP for all of them. If you have two clerics, you should be fine. I suggest Primrose as the second cleric.

Thanks. I haven't got the cleric subclass yet. It'll help a lot when I get it. In fact I might try unlock all of them before I do anything else, I have 3 so far. I'd generally been steering clear of caves as early in the game they seemed to be way more dangerous than the region they were in.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I haven't got the cleric subclass yet. It'll help a lot when I get it. In fact I might try unlock all of them before I do anything else, I have 3 so far. I'd generally been steering clear of caves as early in the game they seemed to be way more dangerous than the region they were in.
You unlock the regular subclasses in shrines, there are no enemies there, you just walk in and press A at the altar, very easy. ;-) So you can just get them all now.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Went and got the Sorcerer job yesterday, probably do Starseer next. Went with the easy strategy of party wide reflects. Therion was my main so he was dealing damage with his Divine + keeping Leghold Trap up.

I'm definitely a little overleveled for some things but that's because I'm dashing everywhere and doing the side dungeons without Evasive Maneuvers on. Strategy and setup is way more important, especially getting your breaks and one turn clears in for the extra XP/JP from the random battles.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I can't remember the specific gameplay details of those bosses, but I never needed to grind so far. Here's a strategy that's worked for me for almost every single boss:
Always try to "time" the Break when your party is ready to unleash maximum damage. This means:
- At least 3 BP for your "main" damage dealer (this would usually be Olberic or H'aanit or maybe Therion, using their Divine Skill). Even better if you have more than one such character. Use pomegranates or the Merchant ability Donate BP if you have to
- Surpassing Power as passive ability on your main damage dealer(s)
- Atk. Up (either through Abide by Olberic on himself, or the dancer ability Lion's Dance) on said "main" damage dealer
- Def. Down on boss (use the Thief ability Corrosive Armor)

When you have all those conditions met at the same time, break the boss, then unleash those divine skills. You should do between 15-25k damage by then, maybe more. Obviously they should have the strongest available equipment. You might also need a dedicated healer through the Cleric class to keep your health up. For most bosses (before chapter 4 at least), you will only need to do this cycle twice to win, sometimes less if you keep chipping away at it with other skills too.
The only bosses for whom this wasn't always possible (sometimes I'd have time to cast Def. Down but not Atk. Up, or vice-versa) was against some optional bosses in chapter 4, sometimes I just needed to break the boss urgently because otherwise it'd play his next turn and wreck me. Otherwise, this has been my go-to strategy for pretty much the whole game and I never needed to grind, though I rotated my party regularly to keep everyone decently levelled up and tried to have no one "lagging" behind for too long. I got wiped only twice in 70 hours, and it was due to (optional) bosses doing annoying KO/sleep abnormal status, when I tried it again with a few accessories nullifying those I had no problem.

They're probably two of the strongest bosses of CH3, way above the recommended level. I don't know your party or gear but at least with Alfyn keep Leghold Trap as much as possible to keep him in break state, also keep his attack down and your defense up with max boost Hired Help , and stay fully healed .

You can take a similar approach with Therion boss.
Thanks for the tips! I was finally able to take down the boss in Alfyn's third chapter. I didn't have Leghold Trap, but I kept using "Shackle Foe" to weaken his attacks and "Empoison" to constantly be doing damage. I didn't get a lot of Breaks against him, but I got a few clutch ones when I needed 'em most.

Gonna try and see if I can take down Therion's using a similar strategy.

Oct 27, 2017
So as mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't really know subclasses were a thing, I'm approaching the end of Ch2 now. I unlocked them all today and holy shit it gives a whole new level to how you build your party. Especially because it seems you can equip any support skill from any class. This is going to help level my lower characters a ton.

Also, because I'm an idiot, I never noticed the unequip all and optimize equipment buttons which also helps a ton when swapping characters in and out of your party.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Did some more sidequests last night and got to Northreach.

But man, the Forest of No Return quest boss in Victor's Hollow. I went in blind without switching my Therion back to a boss setup and got my first wipe. Went in the second time around and still took me a while to kill it with the party I had on hand.

Setup was
Therion High 60s Dancer, Surpassing Power
Alfyn Mid 50s Warrior
Olberic Mid 50s Apothecary, Surpassing Power
Ophilia Mid 50s Sorcerer
Saving Grace on everybody

I had the Dancer Divine on Therion so he provided a couple buffs that way, but this was really the first time I was using Alfyn as a pure BP battery. Damage primarily came from Therion+Olberic Divines from breaks

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips! I was finally able to take down the boss in Alfyn's third chapter. I didn't have Leghold Trap, but I kept using "Shackle Foe" to weaken his attacks and "Empoison" to constantly be doing damage. I didn't get a lot of Breaks against him, but I got a few clutch ones when I needed 'em most.

Gonna try and see if I can take down Therion's using a similar strategy.

Alfyn's third is one of the hardest Chapter bosses in the game. Good job! Buffs and debuffs make a huge difference in Octopath, unlike many games.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I've beat all the chapter 4s, and I have questions:

Through this thread, I heard there's a post-game final dungeon. I'm playing in Japanese, so there may be stuff I'm not 100% picking up on, but there's a lot of allusion throughout the stories to "something". I don't want to know what to do per se, but I want to know if just going through all the subquests is the correct approach.

I'm thinking about replaying all story bits in English.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I've beat all the chapter 4s, and I have questions:

Through this thread, I heard there's a post-game final dungeon. I'm playing in Japanese, so there may be stuff I'm not 100% picking up on, but there's a lot of allusion throughout the stories to "something". I don't want to know what to do per se, but I want to know if just going through all the subquests is the correct approach.

I'm thinking about replaying all story bits in English.

There are two specific short side quest chains you need to do.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Youtube video game cover artist extraordinaire FamilyJules has been doing some great rock remixes of the soundtrack, but he knocks Decisive Battle 2 right outta the park:

The part from 0:50 to 1:13 is just so good, this has gotta be my favorite battle theme since the first Etrian Odyssey game.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
So I got to that post -game whatever.

I beat all eight bosses easily, and then got to the hard boss, made the mistake to split up my overpowered four, thinking it may be a dungeon, and then lost on the final boss right away.

I... don't think I'm going to be trying to beat him. The 65 hours I played with the game were good. Probably going to sound weird, but the game has too much content.

Oct 25, 2017
So I accidentally got
EXP x 100 whilst messing with Bewildering Grace just outside of Victor's Hollow. Now I've got four characters who are ridiculously leveled up for this stage of the game, what am I supposed to do now? Ha ha ha ha.
I didn't even know she could do that.