• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
How do stats work with the multiple weapon system? Like, does my Cyrus cast his spells with the bow since it has more Magic Attack than his staff?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How do stats work with the multiple weapon system? Like, does my Cyrus cast his spells with the bow since it has more Magic Attack than his staff?

Yes. Offensive magic will use your weapon with the highest E.ATK value, except for cases where the ability you're using is specific to a weapon (e.g. Runelord abilities).

Healing magic uses a character's E.DEF, whereas healing items (and thus concoctions) have fixed values.

Speed and other stats are calculated using whichever weapon is held/used for a turn. So, you could have a Sorcerer Primrose whose speed was boosted by a dagger in-hand, at the same time as her magical attacks were boosted by a high E.ATK staff.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Offensive magic will use your weapon with the highest E.ATK value, except for cases where the ability you're using is specific to a weapon (e.g. Runelord abilities).

Healing magic uses a character's E.DEF, whereas healing items (and thus concoctions) have fixed values.

Speed and other stats are calculated using whichever weapon is held/used for a turn. So, you could have a Sorcerer Primrose whose speed was boosted by a dagger in-hand, at the same time as her magical attacks were boosted by a high E.ATK staff.
Uh, interesting. I guess I should spread out the weapons then, no reason to give Cyrus all E.ATK weapons. Do crit chance and accuracy work like speed?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, interesting. I guess I should spread out the weapons then, no reason to give Cyrus all E.ATK weapons. Do crit chance and accuracy work like speed?

I believe so, yeah. There's one major exception IIRC, and that's the Battle-tested Sword acquired in postgame — its Physical Attack boost applies to any physical attack by the character it's on, not just ones using the sword.

Definitely spread out your E.ATK weapons.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm about to start the game. Is there a consensus on the best (more enjoyable) way to tackle the structure? Pick 4 characters and do all of their stories first or complete everybody's chapter 1, then everybody's chapter 2, etc...?

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm about to start the game. Is there a consensus on the best (more enjoyable) way to tackle the structure? Pick 4 characters and do all of their stories first or complete everybody's chapter 1, then everybody's chapter 2, etc...?

It is open world. Do what you want and what interests you, or you are essentially throwing away the open world aspects of the game for no real reason.

Personally, it seems like ALL 1, then ALL 2, then ALL 3, has the highest burnout rate, for exactly that reason-- throwing away a key selling point out of the game for some pre-planned notion of how to play.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I'm about 7.5hrs in and have done four 1s and plan to finish them all just to see the characters, and then figure it out from there. I'm enjoying the weakness discovery, the hints at the more interesting synergies with skills (thief passive to get free attack on 0-sp steal, etc.) and so far the difficulty scaling seems good; haven't died but have also been challenged several times which is nice. I love the scope so far, small stories and not some tropey overarching save the world storyline. Random battles are annoying but so far not a shelf-moment. We'll see how it goes as I keep playing!

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished all chapter 1 stories,then created 2 parties of 4 characters and started with finishing all stories of the first team. Worked very well for me.

Keep in mind that you can't change your mc until you are done with his/her story.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
I did a 4/4 set. I'm also doing the same for my second play with mixed up groups.

Pros: your second set of four get immediate access to late game equipment. They can also start using the hidden stuff, but it might take a bit to see real usefulness (requires lots of JP).

Cons: when your main finishes their Chapter 4, you get a credit sequence that replays all the finishing moves from your boss fights. But since you've only played half, you miss the memories you haven't made yet. You also tend to wind up low on JP, since you can fast travel most places instead of grinding through random battle.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Is there some kind of endgame superboss/dungeon in this game? Maybe some unlockable items/skills that are hard to get? I loved stuff like that in Final Fantasy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

There isn't a best way to approach it. Just do whatever you want to do at any given time. Tired of Chapter 1s after doing 5/8? Go explore, find and unlock subjobs, or even move on the Chapter 2. Want to complete all eight Chapter 1s and aren't burned out on them? Go for it!

There're so many options with Octopath, and it's so open-ended, I think many people who've gotten frustrated with the structure arbitrarily required themselves to do each set of eight chapters consecutively, rather than letting their experience breath. Almost like making beelines for the Divine Beasts in Breath of the Wild, or prioritizing Alduin's story in Skyrim — missing the experience.

I'll say this: don't take the Recommended Levels and Danger Levels as minimum requirements. Levels in Octopath mean very little compared to equipment or character build. If you want to approach easier Chapter 2s (~20+ Recommended Level) at level 15, for example, you could — especially if you find some subjobs first, which are enormous power/customization boosts.

Is there some kind of endgame superboss/dungeon in this game? Maybe some unlockable items/skills that are hard to get? I loved stuff like that in Final Fantasy.

There are:

Four Advanced Job bosses that are quite challenging, but can admittedly be beaten before the endgame, and a couple high level areas.

There's a postgame boss gauntlet culminating in a superboss that's probably one of the most challenging of any JRPG. There are no save points after starting, so it's unfortunately a bit tedious, although the superboss requires such well-made parties that the preceding gauntlet should only take a few minutes.

Notably all story content/dialogue is gotten before the superboss fight, so it shouldn't be thought of as necessary to beat it to see the full story.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It is open world. Do what you want and what interests you, or you are essentially throwing away the open world aspects of the game for no real reason.

Personally, it seems like ALL 1, then ALL 2, then ALL 3, has the highest burnout rate, for exactly that reason-- throwing away a key selling point out of the game for some pre-planned notion of how to play.
I finished all chapter 1 stories,then created 2 parties of 4 characters and started with finishing all stories of the first team. Worked very well for me.

Keep in mind that you can't change your mc until you are done with his/her story.
There isn't a best way to approach it. Just do whatever you want to do at any given time. Tired of Chapter 1s after doing 5/8? Go explore, find and unlock subjobs, or even move on the Chapter 2. Want to complete all eight Chapter 1s and aren't burned out on them? Go for it!

There're so many options with Octopath, and it's so open-ended, I think many people who've gotten frustrated with the structure arbitrarily required themselves to do each set of eight chapters consecutively, rather than letting their experience breath. Almost like making beelines for the Divine Beasts in Breath of the Wild, or prioritizing Alduin's story in Skyrim — missing the experience.

I'll say this: don't take the Recommended Levels and Danger Levels as minimum requirements. Levels in Octopath mean very little compared to equipment or character build. If you want to approach easier Chapter 2s (~20+ Recommended Level) at level 15, for example, you could — especially if you find some subjobs first, which are enormous power/customization boosts.

There are:

Four Advanced Job bosses that are quite challenging, but can admittedly be beaten before the endgame, and a couple high level areas.

There's a postgame boss gauntlet culminating in a superboss that's probably one of the most challenging of any JRPG. There are no save points after starting, so it's unfortunately a bit tedious, although the superboss requires such well-made parties that the preceding gauntlet should only take a few minutes.

Notably all story content/dialogue is gotten before the superboss fight, so it shouldn't be thought of as necessary to beat it to see the full story.

Thanks guys. I guess my fear is that if I pick only 4 characters, when I proceed to complete the remaining 4 the game will become too easy since my other members are already overleveled and with late game gear.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. I guess my fear is that if I pick only 4 characters, when I proceed to complete the remaining 4 the game will become too easy since my other members are already overleveled and with late game gear.

If you strictly do four characters at a time, the second group would be as easy or hard as you wanted, depending on if you give them Chapter-appropriate gear or endgame gear.

Personally, I did all eight at once. It was nice being able to pick which character's story I moved on with depending on my mood (since they're all so different), and rotate characters in/out. With the subjob system, it's pretty easy to make characters fill each other's roles in your party with you rotate them out. And like I said, of you get burned out on a Chapter or tired of a character's story, you can just move on with others.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to get back into this game, I realize now that I will never beat this game. I love the combat system, the visuals, the music, and the overall upgrade/jobs system. But the individual stories are not compelling enough to drive me forward and the increase in shield/break number requirements just turns combat into a slog.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been asked, but what are the best job combinations? Just unlocked my first one, Thief.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been asked, but what are the best job combinations? Just unlocked my first one, Thief.

It really depends on the characters, plus some skills (Like Saving Grace, or Patience) are incredibly broken and go on everyone. Generally I found Thief kinda dull despite Therion being one of my main four.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Therion is a town character since you can't really beat stealing tons of gear off of people, but you also want to keep him leveled so it works. I roll Alfyn, Olberic, Therion, Cyrus. Although at like 37hrs I think I may have hit a wall, lost any interest in continuing to play. Will pick it up again in a week and see how it goes.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Sunk about 70 hours into it so far, I'm loving it. The only character who I've finished so far is H'annit. I was struggling against Redeye, so I went and grinded a bit and unlocked Archmage for Ophilia after a damn annoying boss fight against Ramu-, er bearded mage dude

Went back and bloody dunked on the bastard, now time to clean up everyone else's.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I got this got Christmas and have been playing the last few days. Still going around and getting all the characters. I started with Ophelia and have Ophelia, H'annit, Therion, Alfym, and Primrose. I am doing Olberic's first chapter now.

One thing get kind of bugs me, but I get why they did it, is that the chapter 1's are all structured exactly the same: Find out backstory on character, learn about and use their out of combat ability, find out who or what the enemy is, go to brief dungeon, fight boss. Do they stop having the same structure for all 8 characters in later chapters?

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Most follow a similar structure. Get some story elements. Use path action. Little more story, then dungeon crawl with boss at the end.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The game gets a bit better with Ch2 since it opens up and you don't have to watch 8 prologues, but yeah. It's a game I recommend playing in short bursts.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It is, but I really don't get why it's a problem considering most single-player games are usually like that too.

...Right?

Octopath is more honest and up-front about its formula with the Chapter demarcation, but it wouldn't be difficult to reductively summarize most RPGs as "Go to X town -> Learn info -> Do dungeon -> Defeat boss -> Repeat," or BioWare games as "Go to 4 places -> Solve their issues -> Go to final dungeon." The structure's there, and recognizable, but it never bothered me, because I was invested in the stories and didn't need each Chapter's length padded.

Likewise, Octopath's dungeons are reminiscent of many old school JRPGs in their simplicity and lack of stringent puzzles, but punched above their weight with the hidden paths making very clever use of the diorama effect. I'd rather have that than puzzles that frustrate pacing and make their respective dungeons infamous.

There's quite a bit of room for improvement in sequels, but for a first entry, Octopath succeeded on more fronts than not — often masterfully so. A couple small things I wish they'd done with regard to banter, which might have alleviated complaints about party interaction, would be to have (1) made them unmissable and re-watchable in the Journal, because most people missed the majority of them, and (2) make the post-CH4 3+ member banters available as soon as you gain their participants, even as early as CH1. IIRC, none of them are contextualized by later chapters, and getting them earlier would have appeased people.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Woah the difficulty spike when you start chapter 2!

If you haven't already, I'd explore around in the CH2 areas and unlock the secondary jobs. Each region's CH2 area has a shrine to the secondary job of that region's starting character (e.g. Dancer - Sunlands; Cleric - Frostlands; Apothecary - Riverlands; etc.).

Getting those is a big power boost.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Been enjoying this for the last few days too. Started Haan't the Hunter and been working my way down around the sea, at Primrose now. Also stole a gold axe with 3% rate at Clearbrook lol. Did I break my game or make it slightly easier? Did not expect it to work but it did haha.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
It'll make Chapter One easier, but that's about it. Once you get to Chapter Two, no one item (or even character) will dominate the game.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It'll make Chapter One easier, but that's about it. Once you get to Chapter Two, no one item (or even character) will dominate the game.

Ehhhh, some of the stats on those weapons are high enough that I'm not sure that's true, at least for chapter 2. You'd still need some strategy/secondary jobs, but given how easily some boss fights at about that point went for me as is...

Actually, you're not gated for going to late game towns at all, right? You could totally just go to some of those and steal ridiculously good stuff by save scumming.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying this for the last few days too. Started Haan't the Hunter and been working my way down around the sea, at Primrose now. Also stole a gold axe with 3% rate at Clearbrook lol. Did I break my game or make it slightly easier? Did not expect it to work but it did haha.

It's one of the most powerful axes in the game. (Which is the great thing about OT, being able to pull stuff like that immediately!)

Give it to Alfyn, or another person with the Apothecary job, and you'll mow things down with Amputation/Last Stand. It won't trivialize bosses for long beyond CH1, if you don't know what you're doing, but it'll make them substantially easier with such powerful damage.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Just started. Went with the cleric as my starting character. Really like the Guide thing; that's a cool play on the summons. Combat is fun. I like the physical feedback from the controller in the game, especially when you stumble on an enemy weakness. The dialogue and voice acting for that first chapter, though, was...not terribly interesting. Very, very generic in a Disney sort of way. Very pretty, though -- geez! Such a beautiful presentation. Great music and sound too, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
Just started. Went with the cleric as my starting character. Really like the Guide thing; that's a cool play on the summons. Combat is fun. I like the physical feedback from the controller in the game, especially when you stumble on an enemy weakness. The dialogue and voice acting for that first chapter, though, was...not terribly interesting. Very, very generic in a Disney sort of way. Very pretty, though -- geez! Such a beautiful presentation. Great music and sound too, of course.

The worst part of the game is the opening chapters. Slow RPG opening times 8.

It is totally okay to skip cutscenes, and maybe watch them later. Ophilia's Chapter 1 and 2 are particularly bad with their cutscenes, even if C1 does have a few important scenes.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
The worst part of the game is the opening chapters. Slow RPG opening times 8.

It is totally okay to skip cutscenes, and maybe watch them later. Ophilia's Chapter 1 and 2 are particularly bad with their cutscenes, even if C1 does have a few important scenes.

:D Yeah, after the first cutscene I just started speeding through the text to make sure I wasn't missing anything integral without allowing the voice work to play out.

Must say, it's actually kind of refreshing now going back to random encounters after being away from that in most RPGs of late. Doesn't feel too overbearing either.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Ophilia's chapters have some of the worst dialogue — particularly her CH1/CH2. (Thankfully, her CH1 makes up for it with the beautiful area.) They aren't necessarily indicative of other characters' writing quality, since they all vary so wildly in tone.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
So, I'm still a little unclear, though, on exactly how you progress chapters of the various characters. I finished the first chapter of Phili's story, and then got the tutorial telling me to seek out other travelers. So, I noodled around a bit and ran into the hunter. It asked me if I wanted to hear her story, and evidently, it seems I'm now playing as her. How would I do Phili's second chapter?

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm still a little unclear, though, on exactly how you progress chapters of the various characters. I finished the first chapter of Phili's story, and then got the tutorial telling me to seek out other travelers. So, I noodled around a bit and ran into the hunter. It asked me if I wanted to hear her story, and evidently, it seems I'm now playing as her. How would I do Phili's second chapter?

The Hunter will join your party.

The choice is "Do you want to watch the intro for the other character?"

If you answer no, you will skip straight to where the other party member joins your party and you head into the Chapter's dungeon.

If you say you want to watch it, you go through the scenes before the dungeon.

Either way, those scenes get added to the scene viewer in the menu, so you can be free to skip through stuff as you want and watch later.

Once you beat the Hunter's Chapter 1, you regain access to the open world.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I'm so sorry.... I'd almost advocate for a restart, lol. Ophilia is the worst character (characterization wise, not gameplay) and has the most boring story by far.

:D I've been greatly enjoying her (gameplay-wise), actually. One of the more interesting clerics/healers I've played in an RPG. The Guide/Summon ability is just really cool. Plus, her ability as a damage dealer is surprising, considering she gets damage spells early on, as well as the weakness system of battles. Really fun so far.

The Hunter will join your party.

The choice is "Do you want to watch the intro for the other character?"

If you answer no, you will skip straight to where the other party member joins your party and you head into the Chapter's dungeon.

If you say you want to watch it, you go through the scenes before the dungeon.

Either way, those scenes get added to the scene viewer in the menu, so you can be free to skip through stuff as you want and watch later.

Once you beat the Hunter's Chapter 1, you regain access to the open world.

Yeah, so progression seems to be clearing up for me now. I've now had the hunter, the scholar and the warrior join. I really, really like the way they laid things out map-wise and in terms of experiencing (or not) each of the stories. The scholar ability is really cool. His chapter one had a little Phoenix Wright Lite thrown in -- very cute.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
:D I've been greatly enjoying her (gameplay-wise), actually. One of the more interesting clerics/healers I've played in an RPG. The Guide/Summon ability is just really cool. Plus, her ability as a damage dealer is surprising, considering she gets damage spells early on, as well as the weakness system of battles. Really fun so far.

Yeah, so progression seems to be clearing up for me now. I've now had the hunter, the scholar and the warrior join. I really, really like the way they laid things out map-wise and in terms of experiencing (or not) each of the stories. The scholar ability is really cool. His chapter one had a little Phoenix Wright Lite thrown in -- very cute.

Wait until you get best boi Alfyn. Tanky physical attacker, healer, and support — all in one.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So, how does his Concoct skill work exactly, and should I be using in battle or outside of battle? I only used him long enough to do his Chapter 1, and I wasn't sure if he was using up items from my inventory or not.

Concoct is only a battle command, and it's exclusive to Alfyn. It combines two ingredients in your inventory (which are only used for concoctions, not as battle items) to have an effect on either one or all of your party members, or one or all enemies. It can heal, restore BP, cure statuses, buff, debuff, inflict small elemental damage to help break, etc.

The first item you select determines who the concoction will target (Seed = One Target; Dust = All Targets) and at what potency (Soothing / Injurious = Weak; Purifying / Ruinous = Strong). The second item you select determines what effect the concoction will have (e.g. Noxroot will heal and cure poison on a friendly, or inflict fire damage and sometimes poison on an enemy).

Whenever you use a concoction, the result will be saved as the tooltip, so experimenting is encouraged and useful for finding out what everything does. Essence of Pomegranate for BP restoration can be super overpowered — Purifying Dust + Essence of Pomegranate restores 3 BP to the entire party.

http://octopathtraveler.wikia.com/wiki/Concoct

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Oh, that's sounds pretty interesting as a class. So, then, when you use the skill, the item concocted is utilized in the same turn, or do you then have to use the concocted item in another turn?