• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
Our beautiful city during Canada's 150 year celebration:
2GuyFMr.jpg

Ottawa in the Summer:
3d2YQkQ.jpg

Ottawa in the Winter:
NnWbK1W.jpg

Gatineau can hang out too
spiZR9x.jpg

Ottawa is a great city and I figured we deserved our own OT. This is the first one I've ever made, so please excuse my amateur thread. Please give me tips on how I can make it better!

What's your favourite thing about living in/visiting Ottawa?

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna make an Ottawa OT!

But I'm glad someone stepped up :D

Anyone check out Miwate yet?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to go on Thanksgiving, but the line was like 2 hours so we gave up. Have you gone?

Nope but hearing rave reviews from friends who have. The weather was particularly nice last weekend so I just assumed it was crazy busy and didn't bother going, might check it out on a cooler day.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh a friend posted pictures of that on Facebook. Had no idea what it was. Just looked it up. Pretty cool.

OP
OP
bubaglobalj

bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
I discovered yesterday that the Ottawa Public Library rents out video games. I just put a hold on the Last Guardian.

OP
OP
bubaglobalj

bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
Someone told me this before, but I didn't realize that they had games as new as TLG, maybe I should get a new library card....

They already have Unchartered: Lost Legacy, and Gran Turismo Sport. I'm sure it's going to be a while till they become available though due to so many holds before your turn.

Last edited:

Essay

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see the thread pop up so soon. Been thinking a lot about VR lately and wondered if there's any buzz about VR lounges in the region? I've heard mention that Happy Daze in Bayshore Mall had some sort of setup(s). Sometime in the next week or so I'd hope to check it out at least.

Anyone already an expert on the city's offerings on this front?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad to see the thread pop up so soon. Been thinking a lot about VR lately and wondered if there's any buzz about VR lounges in the region? I've heard mention that Happy Daze in Bayshore Mall had some sort of setup(s). Sometime in the next week or so I'd hope to check it out at least.

Anyone already an expert on the city's offerings on this front?
I just play VR at home. Don't have to bother looking for elsewhere. But good luck finding somewhere to try VR. At home is best though. No rush, can set up everything for yourself, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Nice to see an Ottawa thread! We had one spring up immediately after the shooting on Parliament Hill a few years ago, and we even had a few meet-ups, but then it all withered away. Hopefully this thread is more active!

Oct 27, 2017
Went to the haunted walk the other day (the gallows one where they take you to the old prison), wasn't all that . Was expecting a bit more for the price.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been in a long time, but I hear Saunders Farm is the better experience.

Yeah, I've been to Saunders farm but to me it's not the same appeal. I don't believe in ghosts myself but I thought the haunted walk would be about urban legends in Ottawa and whatnot, but all of the "ghost stories" were about things people experienced during the previous walks (like people seeing shadowy figures) and less about freaky stories surrounding the city. It was cool visiting the old prison though.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice the crazy amount of out of province plates in the city this year(minus Quebec plates)?

Not only do I see a lot of plates from other Canadian provinces, but, even more so than that, I see a crap load of American plates everyday. Even saw a plate from California yesterday.

OP
OP
bubaglobalj

bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice the crazy amount of out of province plates in the city this year(minus Quebec plates)?

Not only do I see a lot of plates from other Canadian provinces, but, even more so than that, I see a crap load of American plates everyday. Even saw a plate from California yesterday.

I have noticed this. I'm not sure if it has increased, but there are a lot!

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I'd imagine there's quite a bit of tourism thanks to Canada 150. Be interested to see what kind of tourism ads were run this year.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out yesterday that the Instant Pot is an Ottawa invention and the headquarters for the parent company of Instant Pot is in Ottawa, that's pretty cool

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, the rink at Parliament Hill is open starting today.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Not a bad promo over in Gatineau, right now: https://www.facebook.com/freebeespoints/posts/2158237924190196

Also, is anybody here into video games and/or was part of the old tsilon/Arcademy community? We've recently started using Discord in addition to IRC, if anybody is interested. Maybe we can do a meetup too. Most people that have stuck around are from Toronto or Vancouver, so it'd be nice to add some locals from the NCR too.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a bad promo over in Gatineau, right now: https://www.facebook.com/freebeespoints/posts/2158237924190196

Also, is anybody here into video games and/or was part of the old tsilon/Arcademy community? We've recently started using Discord in addition to IRC, if anybody is interested. Maybe we can do a meetup too. Most people that have stuck around are from Toronto or Vancouver, so it'd be nice to add some locals from the NCR too.
Signed up. None of the big amounts are of anything I'd use but you never know.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Didn't know that was a restaurant. The poutine looks great over there too.
I've tried it a couple times, since the place is so conveniently close to my workplace, but I can wholeheartedly recommend you to give it a try. Pataterie Hulloise is in the same area too, which apparently has a really good reputation, but I personally prefer le foubrac.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've tried it a couple times, since the place is so conveniently close to my workplace, but I can wholeheartedly recommend you to give it a try. Pataterie Hulloise is in the same area too, which apparently has a really good reputation, but I personally prefer le foubrac.
I never dared go to Pataterie Hulloise, the ads for it in the late 90s or so? They kind of gave me a gross image of the place that just stuck in my head.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Happy New Year Ottawa ERA! Here's to hoping that the LRT finally starts running this year :P