• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Technically no...but why not just use the cable that comes with it?
Eh..just a very unique situation with my setup. My Series S is coming from the UK and I'm in the Caribbean, where we do use UK-style plugs and voltage, but most of our devices come from the US. My TV and other consoles are therefore connected to a 110/120v power strip which is connected to a transformer. I don't have any 230v sockets free, but I do have 120v sockets free on the strip. So, I need a 2-pin power cable for the console and figured I'd just dig up my old PS3 Slim cable instead of buying a new one.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Anybody have an issue when they set their series x to 4K and 120hz, all audio disappears (system and in a game)?

This just started happening today. When it is at 4K and 60hz, audio is fine. 1080p and 120hz, audio is fine as well. It's so weird.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Titanfall 2 should be downsampling from above 4K now, if I remember right. The upper bounds for it's dynamic res go up to 6K and I imagine Series X is getting there regularly. I'd love to see DF do a deep dive. I was playing it tonight and it looks pretty, especially with the auto HDR, which isn't Halo 5 (or Dead Space) good, but it's very good.

I would love to see this game on an 8K TV (are 6K TVs a thing?).

It seems like the Xbox One X version regularly hits between 1440p-1800p, while hitting 4k in scenes that aren't all that busy according to DF.
In-game pixel-counts in campaign gunplay now seem to vary between 1440p and around 1800p, only rising significantly higher to 4K and beyond when not much is going on

So by my calculations, Series X might be hitting anywhere from just shy of native 4k at worst (just over 2000p), up to generally 2550x4533 in intense combat, but then hit 6k when things calm down. So it certainly wouldn't be regularly hitting 6k, we might have to wait for the mid-gen refreshes, or play on an RTX 3080 for that, but it would still be pretty awesome. It would be cool to see if the game looks amazing on a 5k screen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
How do I do a full system shut down? Even after unplugging for 30 seconds it still boots immediately to the dashboard.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
How are y'all liking the Series X controller, as far as comfort is concerned? I dunno if I'm holding it wrong or what, but my pinky finger on my left hand starts to hurt when I rest it on the "crease" of the controller.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
The controller works like a charm. I have medium-sized hands, though.

Does anyone know how I can get the 120 fps mode to run on the Series X with an LG C8 in Cold War/Warzone? The TV can only do 1080p120.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think it's possible that the Series S could be brute forced play One X versions of games?

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think I'll be getting GP. PS5 will prob be my primary console, so I'll just buy the few games I want rather than a monthy service fee.
In the end it will cost less than buying game. You can find a lot of discount gamepass deal on amazon etc..so for microsoft games, indie and games that you never thought about playing , it's way more interisting. Or just take one month once in a while to play these games x)

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Do you guys think it's possible that the Series S could be brute forced play One X versions of games?

It's almost certainly a limitation of system memory, which the Series S has less of than the One X (being designed for about 25% of the resolution), so I don't know that I'd advise it even if it's possible.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious why when I move a one X game like gears 5 to the internal SSD it asks me to update then proceed to download the full game again?

DarkMage619

Dec 1, 2017
My XSX suddenly died. Was playing Destiny 2 and it just shut off and didn't recover. Shipping it back to MS tomorrow. I'll update on how the repair process is.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Eh..just a very unique situation with my setup. My Series S is coming from the UK and I'm in the Caribbean, where we do use UK-style plugs and voltage, but most of our devices come from the US. My TV and other consoles are therefore connected to a 110/120v power strip which is connected to a transformer. I don't have any 230v sockets free, but I do have 120v sockets free on the strip. So, I need a 2-pin power cable for the console and figured I'd just dig up my old PS3 Slim cable instead of buying a new one.
I say as long as the cable is properly insulated (I wouldn't imagine a PS3 cable being shoddy lol) you can use any nonpolarized cable.

Oct 29, 2017
How are y'all liking the Series X controller, as far as comfort is concerned? I dunno if I'm holding it wrong or what, but my pinky finger on my left hand starts to hurt when I rest it on the "crease" of the controller.

Like the Elite controller, I'm finding the textured grips pretty irritating after a while which is a shame. But otherwise it's great comfort wise for me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like the Elite controller, I'm finding the textured grips pretty irritating after a while which is a shame. But otherwise it's great comfort wise for me.

I find the new XSX controller to be far more comfortable than my Elite 1 pad. It may not have as good materials, and it may feel lighter or cheaper, but unlike the Elite 1, at least the XSX pad has no creaking and is more ergonomic.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Quick Resume so far is a huge 50/50. It works 50% of the time, it doesn't the other 50%. Is there no way to know what games I currently have open in Quick Resume and which ones aren't? I've tried quick resume a few times and it totally crashed the console.

This is a great feature that is half baked.
It's an awesome feature, but you're right that it needs to be fleshed out. There should be a tab or section on the UI dedicated to the games currently reserved for QR.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
the hdr in destiny 2 is broken, yeah?

the blacks are so black i didn't actually think a tv could go that black!

(yes i have tried every setting under the sun)
Yeah, Destiny 2's HDR is busted.

It's a shame the Xbox doesn't allow HDR on a game-by-game basis, instead of it being an option in the system menu. Turning it off for some games and back on for others is a pain.

My LG Led TV is suffering from LG's infamous too dark HDR game mode, so I'm stuck playing my games in HDR PC mode. Most games look good that way, but then there's stinkers like D2 that make me wonder if it's even worth the hassle.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes that's normal, after putting the console in rest mode it should be spinning for a few minutes, then stop if the console is cool enough.
If it's downloading while in rest mode, it can keep the fan spinning longer.

Sometimes it can even turn the fan on for a few minutes if it's getting too hot inside (in rest mode the CPU is in a low-power state but still produces a bit of heat, so it depends on the room temperature too).
I have two serie x. One stop completely after some times. The other was turned off (instant mode) all night yet the fan kept spinning a bit

why ? Default ?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Here are some 4k Screens from snapped from Battlefield V and Forza Horizon 4
ydO67af.jpg

aayOBVG.jpg

qEAmlFX.jpg
The next battlefield releasing on Xbox Series S|X, PS5 and PC will look absolutely unreal right? Say what you want about the game, but technically DICE are wizards. Up their with TC when it comes to 60FPS games. I wish there was a best graphics category at TGA for 60FPS games. Journalist shouldn't sleep on the difference in rendering budget 30 vs 60FPS makes.
Battlefield V is one goddamn beautiful game. I'm guessing it's running at 60 FPS.
Yes.
The XSX did nothing for Fallen Order, damn. Pretty long load times and not rock solid 60 fps, bummer.
I haven't dipped my toes into the game yet, but I've seen videos and heard that the framerate is now rock solid and those I/O related stutters are gone aswell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have two serie x. One stop completely after some times. The other was turned off (instant mode) all night yet the fan kept spinning a bit

why ? Default ?
I don't think there's an issue.
Is the one with the fan constantly spinning in a hotter room or somewhere where heat stays around the console ?
How is the air coming from this console ?

If it spin it's because it needs it to, if it work well while playing this is not an issue. The One X had its fan spinning sometimes in instant mode too but due to the console's shape it was less easy to notice.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's an issue.
Is the one with the fan constantly spinning in a hotter room or somewhere where heat stays around the console ?
How is the air coming from this console ?

If it spin it's because it needs it to, if it work well while playing this is not an issue. The One X had its fan spinning sometimes in instant mode too but due to the console's shape it was less easy to notice.
Found out why actually. I had an USB key connected to it... fan stays on when usb device is connected.
Beside this. Nobody find risky that the upper side of the system is wide open ? Dust ?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
The XSX did nothing for Fallen Order, damn. Pretty long load times and not rock solid 60 fps, bummer.

Pretty sure when I play it on performance mode it's a solid 60, but yeah - it runs at 1080p as a trade-off, which I actually don't mind, even on my 4K TV. But yeah, I wish the load times were faster. It was especially annoying when I kept dying on Dathomir.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found out why actually. I had an USB key connected to it... fan stays on when usb device is connected.
Beside this. Nobody find risky that the upper side of the system is wide open ? Dust ?
I thought of it too, but as long as the fan spins dust wouldn't settle there, and when off, dust could come there but will be blow away when the fan start spinning.

Many PCs have top air exhaust and that's not really an issue either.

If dust is an issue in your place, you can still put it horizontally or maybe put a light thing like a sheet of paper on top when you plan to not use it for several days (it would be blown by the fan if needed and there's another exhaust at the back on the top to allow air to get out if the top is closed).

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Finally decided to check out Halo 5 to see how the HDR is and I have to say I am pretty impressed - the areas that should have highlights do and for a game like Halo that is important. Also, I can tell the resolution is being maxed out because it looks noticeably sharper to my eyes and, maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but Halo 5 looks better than people give it credit, especially at 4K.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
the hdr in destiny 2 is broken, yeah?

the blacks are so black i didn't actually think a tv could go that black!

(yes i have tried every setting under the sun)
Yeah, Destiny 2's HDR is busted.

It's a shame the Xbox doesn't allow HDR on a game-by-game basis, instead of it being an option in the system menu. Turning it off for some games and back on for others is a pain.

My LG Led TV is suffering from LG's infamous too dark HDR game mode, so I'm stuck playing my games in HDR PC mode. Most games look good that way, but then there's stinkers like D2 that make me wonder if it's even worth the hassle.

Destiny 2 HDR looks amazing, once you've set it up right that is. There's issues with the games calibration tools so you have to faff around to fix it, definitely worth it though.

Basicsally you need to turn off HDR at the system level, configure the brightness settings in-game to 4, then turn HDR back on and set the sliders perfectly. One point to the left or right and it won't look right.

Video explaining where the sliders need to be by HDTVTest:

Turns out New Light broke HDR in a new and different way, best wait for a patch :(

Last edited:

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 HDR looks amazing, once you've set it up right that is. There's issues with the games calibration tools so you have to faff around to fix it, definitely worth it though.

Basicsally you need to turn off HDR at the system level, configure the brightness settings in-game to 4, then turn HDR back on and set the sliders perfectly. One point to the left or right and it won't look right.

Video explaining where the sliders need to be by HDTVTest:

No it's broken right now especially on Nessus, doesn't matter what you configure it to.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
I'm having a recurring issue where my console gets stuck in the following loop:

1) After being booted up from shutdown (either instant-on or full shutdown), I get the startup screen but then nothing else. Just a black screen. No audio or video from the console.
2) Restart (either with a regular restart or a full shutdown + reboot). Console won't connect to Xbox Live, even though it's on a functional wired connection. Tried unplugging the ethernet cable and switching to wireless to test that, but it just gives the error that a network cable is still plugged in and can't switch to wireless.
3) Restart and begin again at step 1.

This happened on the first day and then seemed to resolve itself. But just now, I tried to start up AC Valhalla and the console shut off, and I'm in this loop again. I don't want to go through the hassle of a return, but it looks like it might be needed.

Edit: I just unplugged the power cable and booted back up. Got to the startup screen and the system froze and crashed. Power light on the front of the console flashed a few times and the system restarted. Now it's back to normal. I'm just wondering if this is a hardware issue or something that may be fixed with updates.