• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I registered my Xbox Series S on live.com before I left for work and in my device list it says I have an Xbox One but it has the right serial number. Is that happening to anyone else?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I know this is petty, but I wish when you were looking at your friends list and it shows who of your friends on-line that it would show what system they are on. On the PS5, the UI has a little mini PS5 Icon for those playing on PS5 and a mini PS4 icon for those on a PS4.

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country
OK, so a really stupid tech question.

I am running my Series X through a receiver's HDMI ARC port. It is saying on the Xbox settings that I do not have 4K capabilities.
I'm guessing this is due to the way i'm running the system through my receiver? Any other thoughts?

Spoiler -- Yes, my TV is 4K.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to have Instant On selected without having the external HDD run all the time? I tried selecting "turn storage off in rest mode" in the Settings but that didn't seem to do the trick. I don't remember my One X running the external storage like this.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
whats the cable I need for the controller again? USB-C?

this battery bullshit is already getting old.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to have Instant On selected without having the external HDD run all the time? I tried selecting "turn storage off in rest mode" in the Settings but that didn't seem to do the trick. I don't remember my One X running the external storage like this.
If you change that setting you have to restart the console to make it work, it doesn't tell you so.

Note: having the setting to turn off storage in rest mode does not prevent downloading games nor updates, the console will turn it on at will.
But I set mine to always on because for some reason when in rest mode my external HDD keeps waking up every 5 minutes, sometimes it stays off for hours but sometimes not, even when there's nothing to download.

Apr 21, 2018
Quick Resume so far is a huge 50/50. It works 50% of the time, it doesn't the other 50%. Is there no way to know what games I currently have open in Quick Resume and which ones aren't? I've tried quick resume a few times and it totally crashed the console.

This is a great feature that is half baked.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick Resume so far is a huge 50/50. It works 50% of the time, it doesn't the other 50%. Is there no way to know what games I currently have open in Quick Resume and which ones aren't? I've tried quick resume a few times and it totally crashed the console.

This is a great feature that is half baked.
IMHO unless you can have a task manager it's pretty useless as it doesn't work all the time.

brobban

Oct 28, 2017
The interactions between a not inserted disc and Quick Resume described here are less than ideal. If you are in the Preview program, please file a bug as that's something we should be able to improve

An update on this. It seems the issue is disc based games across multiple profiles. My wife is playing AC: Valhalla of Disc on her profile, and I'm playing Ori (digitally) on mine. Jumping back to my profile and Quick Resume Ori works flawlessly, while everytime my wife starts AC on her profile the game restarts, eventhough the disc is already in once started.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is petty, but I wish when you were looking at your friends list and it shows who of your friends on-line that it would show what system they are on. On the PS5, the UI has a little mini PS5 Icon for those playing on PS5 and a mini PS4 icon for those on a PS4.
It's there on Xbox and PC.

On PC : friends have a console (One X/S) icon when they are on console, nothing when on PC.
On Xbox : friends have a PC icon when playing on PC, nothing when playing on Xbox. I think there is also a 360 icon when playing on 360.
On Xbox 360 : it says "Xbox One" or "PC" before the game name I think.

Xbox is a whole ecosystem, it does not matter on which device they are (One fat, One S, One X, One S Digital, Series S, Series X) as all games from these generations are playing on every devices for now (the first one only on Series would be The Medium I think).
But I get the idea, in away it would be nice to know which device exactly each friend have.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
My wife actually doesn't mind the design of the series X and she hates video games. Then again, she's seen my Alienware area 51 r2 and anything looks more subtle than that LOL.

My partner is definitely worried about it being an eyesore, but I'd much rather have it out and ventilated than inside of my cabinet. I'm pretty sensitive myself to ugly-ing up my living room decor, so I'll concede if it's actually terrible. My impression so far is that it's innocuous enough tho. I saw the display models in person at JBHifi and honestly it's not that big? Outside of the fake green plastic "glow," it looks like it'd blend in pretty well.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018

I am running my Series X through a receiver's HDMI ARC port. It is saying on the Xbox settings that I do not have 4K capabilities.
I'm guessing this is due to the way i'm running the system through my receiver? Any other thoughts?

The same thing happened to me except it didn't detect my HDR. I took away the Sound bar and tried again and still the same problem. Put the sound bar back and went back in and all of a sudden there was a new option to calibrate my HDR settings.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
If you change that setting you have to restart the console to make it work, it doesn't tell you so.

Note: having the setting to turn off storage in rest mode does not prevent downloading games nor updates, the console will turn it on at will.
But I set mine to always on because for some reason when in rest mode my external HDD keeps waking up every 5 minutes, sometimes it stays off for hours but sometimes not, even when there's nothing to download.
Ah, ok! Thank you.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Xbox sorta does this, but it shows who is on Xbox, and who is on PC. People on PC will have a little computer icon in their status.

It'd be cool if they broke it down by type of console too though, I agree.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I registered my Xbox Series S on live.com before I left for work and in my device list it says I have an Xbox One but it has the right serial number. Is that happening to anyone else?
Yeah, it just happened to me, I didn't even realize that until I was going to put in my SN on my account, but it fixed itself and tells me I got a warranty till December of next year.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Playing Gears of War on the easiest difficulty... and struggling. Game is hard... or I suck.

I really do not like how much the screen shakes or the stupid crouch-walk-but-actually-sprinting movement.

Cutscenes have all been cool so far.

Gears 5? What is it that is specifically tripping you up difficulty-wise?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Is there any way to install portions of games? I'm only integrated in the campaigns of Gears 4, 5 and Halo 5. But the download sizes are huge and I wish I could only download the SP

The only game I know of that allows this kind of functionality currently, is the Master Chief Collection. There was that story about a month ago that Microsoft are pushing devs to make their next-gen games more modular like this, so hopefully there'll be more of it going forward

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
My fiancé has been playing Skyrim and it loads so fast. Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks, but It definitely seems to look a bit sharper than it did on the One X as well.

It was a dynamic resolution on the X, though it stayed pretty close to 4K the majority of the time. But if you loaded it up with mods I imagine you could drop the resolution enough to get a noticeable difference with the Series X and same mods.

I wish Bethesda would revisit the 5GB limit for mods on Series X. Be nice to be able to use a lot more higher resolution textures. My wife and I have been playing around with it a bit the last few days. Shocking how current gen you can make it look.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Gears 1

You die pretty quickly, and the extremely high amount of camera shake gets me disoriented and into situations where I get shot a lot

Ahh. Unfortunately it's been a loooong time since I played Gears 1, so the only real advice I could give, would be to get really good at active reloads.

I seem to recall Gears of War 1 being regarded as a pretty hard game at the time, so it's possible that by today's standards it really is just hard.

Maybe a bigger Gears fan than me can chime in.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017

My external HDD sounds like it's turning on and off when the console is on standby, like someone is flipping an on/off switch for it. For now, I'll just be using energy-saving mode, since the 15 second boot up time from full shutdown doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that normal , even though it's idle there the fan is still spinning very lightly (and almost silent) ? I'm using always on mode. But air is coming from the serie x

VULKIN

Oct 25, 2017
I have a strange issue with downloads. Every game I try and download now has no icon and when I try to start the game it says "Clear some space, your xbox does not have enough room for this to install". I have multiple terabytes left on my external SSD as well as over 100gb left on my internal. This happens no matter which game I download (even on 200mb indie games). I downloaded hundreds of games just fine before this started happening.

I have done a full shut down including removing from power for 10 main (multiple times), reset my router and cleared the persistent storage.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that normal , even though it's idle there the fan is still spinning very lightly (and almost silent) ? I'm using always on mode. But air is coming from the serie x
Yes that's normal, after putting the console in rest mode it should be spinning for a few minutes, then stop if the console is cool enough.
If it's downloading while in rest mode, it can keep the fan spinning longer.

Sometimes it can even turn the fan on for a few minutes if it's getting too hot inside (in rest mode the CPU is in a low-power state but still produces a bit of heat, so it depends on the room temperature too).

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

IIRC on the 1X I had to put it in an non arc port

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country
The same thing happened to me except it didn't detect my HDR. I took away the Sound bar and tried again and still the same problem. Put the sound bar back and went back in and all of a sudden there was a new option to calibrate my HDR settings.
IIRC on the 1X I had to put it in an non arc port

Thanks, i'm going to tinker around with it to see if I can get it to work. Otherwise, i'll use a non-ARC port.
Appreciate the replies!