• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It goes without saying that the world has become a depressing place for a lot of people and games are a great way to escape it for a short time in the same way a great movie, book, etc can take you away for a little bit.

Since Saturday me and my kids have been having an absolutely having a blast going though Odyssey (we left it off at New Donk City where there is a moment where you get happiness overload, won't spoil it but everyone who played the game knows what I am talking about). Not only is the game great but it really is an incredibly positive experience. It got me thinking and wanting more games that are able to evoke that feeling of pure joy you get when playing Odyssey. It feels like a rare experience to me in any medium to be smiling like idiots as often as we have been since we got this game.

Usually in most games you are caught up in the gameplay and are concentrating on progressing or the game tries to evoke awe. But I rarely get the feeling I got from playing Odyssey (even from other Nintendo games) where I actually feel better after I play it. From the music, the presentation or just something simple like having a dog catch your hat. It really is remarkable how well Nintendo put the whole thing together and achieved what they were going for.

As this one won't last forever, what other games, new or old, are able to evoke joy like many of us have felt in Odyssey?

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0

It isn't always joyful, however, it's an incredibly fun game. It's one of the few series where I can lose hours upon hours just doing side activities that are almost always interesting.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby's Epic Yarn and Loco Roco are wonderful if you want to play your frustration away.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The Kingdom Hearts series does for me. Have grown up with the games, and they never stop putting a stupid grin on my face.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Journey. The wide range of emotion and wonder I experience from that title is something that never changes.

Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker HD
Resident Evil 4 (this is an odd one, but it's the most fun game I've ever played in terms of gameplay that it brings me tons of joy)

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much any Kirby game, those are just whimsical

For me personally, tearaway

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Psychonauts isn't anywhere mechanically as well designed as Mario Odyssey, but it has a unpredictably and variety of art styles for each world that make both games very fun.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely adorable. Pure paper happiness in video game form! If you have a PS4, you're all set. You can probably find a really good deal on it to.
e71c441cdcaa1753d97eeacf35982bc6.jpg

The art style makes me smile just looking at it.

I never really sought these games out in the past, but I think I am going to change that going forward.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kirby's Epic Yarn for the Wii
Yoshi's Wooly World for the Wii U

Both can be played in co-op, and incredibly joyous. Never fail to put a smile on my face.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think fun movement and a good framerate add a lot to games in addition to what you just said. Personally, I can recommend these games as in being a pure joy to play (maybe not 100% child compatible):

Hollow Knight

HighPlainElephantbeetle.gif

Breath of the Wild

d04.gif

Ratchet & Clank (not unlike Mario Odyssey actually)

feHUH3O.gif

Steamworld Dig 2

steamworld%2Bdig%2B2.gif

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Flower. It's simple, short, colored. Really a work of wonder.

Botw and Splatoon are good contenders too.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tearaway is a great recommendation! I absolutely adore that game and I'm pretty sure your kids would have a blast with it.

PrimeTime

Oct 29, 2017
I'm standing on my island but I can't help smile everytime I play 3D World...one of the best (imo) Mario games I've played

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny
Saints Row 3
Journey
Tomb Raider (original reboot)

The little I played of Warhammer Space Marines I think it was called?

I had a couple more and lost my train of thought.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of other Nintendo games. MK8, Wooly World and Captain Toad come immediately to mind. It's actually a little absurd at how good Nintendo is at doing it compared to the rest of the industry.

Tearaway is probably the best non-Nintendo game at this, an utter delight from start to finish. Diablo 3 on console is actually really fun for local couch co-op too. South Park Stick of Truth (and FbW to a slightly lesser extent) was a low-stress ride where you could just enjoy the story and humor

Oct 27, 2017
For me ...those games that strip down everything to the bare basics. Ratchet and clank, crash bandicoot...even knack. All there is to think about are basic mechanics, and i always gt into a trance.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Toad! All the little facial expressions and animations he makes during the game are just adorable.

Sunset Overdrive was also fun in a dorky 90's sort of way. Your mileage may vary though.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Overcooked
fcx2rx0lygtm7bjlpijm.jpg

Stardew Valley
stardew%20valley%20switch%20multiplayer.jpg

Slime Rancer
Screenshot02.png

LocoRoco
locoroco.jpg

A Hat in Time
Trainwreck.png

A Boy and His Blob
-VIIjeDAolS7DibFaDD6WFfmCFQ7OHn5tGoZH97V6QKoJkATAe67E_7sRRmI8rv6H2M=h900

Attack of the Friday Monsters!
10_full.jpg

OneAndOnly

Oct 23, 2017
Rayman Origins/Legends is another one. Some of the best platforming I've ever experienced with enough charm that it'll make you smile throughout. I just wish Ubisoft would make another one.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy was the last one that did this for me. I remember it very distinctly because I played it with a friend who was going through a nasty breakup at the time. Despite the circumstances, the game managed to make both of us feel like we were kids in a playground again.

Deleted member 7430

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania
Metroid: Samus Returns
Captain Toad
Muffin Knight
Rogue Legacy
Dragon's Crown
Zelda: Link Between Worlds