• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not very knowledgeable about anime, so a question for Era's anime aficionados- what are generally considered to be the best works of the medium? I want to see/learn more about anime and want to start by making sure I've seen the greats. I've already seen and love Evangelion, so let's skip that one for the sake of this conversation.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all Studio Ghibli and Satoshi Kon films
Ping Pong the Animation
Mononoke (the series)
Mind Game

Those are like, great pieces of media I'd share with anyone.

Nerdier but also good:
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Patlabor series and films
Devil Man Crybaby
Aggretsuko
Cat Soup
Dead Leaves
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Akira

There's a bunch of stuff i liked that havent seen in years and i am unwilling to claim they hold up without seeing them again. Serial Experiments Lain still good?

I'm gonna watch Beladonna of Sadness tonight. Never seen it.

Last edited:

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
For recent films that can appeal to literally anyone with a heart, Your Name and A Silent Voice are probably the two "best" works in the past 5 or so years.

But if you're specifically looking for something similar to Evangelion you could give Darling in the FranXX a shot, although I did not care for either series.

Last edited:

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
JoJo is up there due to its ridiculous awesomeness and Hunter x Hunter for quite possibly being the best shounen series.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm far from an aficionado, having only started watching anime this past summer, but so far I've loved JoJo and Claymore. Cowboy Bebop has some beautiful animation as well.

By the by, what's the best way to watch Evangelion? It doesn't seem to be available on Crunchyroll, and I'm not familiar with other sites.

Last edited:

Joyful

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ghost in the shell / akira ofc

technically it was a show first but you should watch the movie time of eve

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

Dragon Ball Z.
yeshrug.png

However, if you're looking for something more along the line of Eva, I'm going to echo the recommendations for Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and many of Ghibli's films.

wheapon

May 8, 2018
I definitely recommend Tatami Galaxy--it is a bit art house and the dialogue is nonstop, but if you don't mind that it is excellent. I would also suggest Nana, but it does not seem to be available on any streaming services these days.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want something from this season, Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san. Best show of the year.

If you want some quick sci-fi recs, take a peek at some Gundam. Preferably the first series/film trilogy because there's a big long storyline in the main Universal Century timeline and production order is recommended, but whatever floats your boat. Other than that, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (watch the actual TV series for the story, the film re-telling, Do You Remember Love?, for the pretty visuals and Minmay singing more than two songs.), Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is a great remake of an old classic, and if you're feeling adventurous and want something long as heck, you can try Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

But really, watch your fill of Urusei Yatsura so you can then watch Beautiful Dreamer.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy Bebop, it's much better than Evangelion.

Samurai Champloo as well which is by the same director.
Devilman Crybaby is amazing, but it's really fucked up.

Also, most Ghibli films as well as the movie Akira.
Ghost in the Shell, the first movie and the Stand Alone Complex anime series are generally regarded extremely positive.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who has a bad word to say about RahXephon or Escaflowne is wrong tbqh. And I've never met or heard someone who didn't like either.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see the lack of Spirited Away here so far, that's the Western darling of anime and animated films in general really. Akira and Ghost in the Shell tend to be the next most brought up in my experience outside of other Studio Ghibli films. In anime circles Satoshi Kon's works are considered essential viewings.

As far as my own opinion goes, Ping Pong is the undisputed GOAT. Do check out the aforementioned films though, they all have something special to offer.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
other 90s anime outside of Eva:

Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Utena
Serial Experiments Lain
Macross Plus
Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water
Ifninite Ryvius
Kare Kano
El Hazard

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Katanagatari

From the New World

The series Monster is an absolute masterpiece as well.

Hajime no Ippo

Ping Pong the Animation

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Shirobako

Etc. etc. etc.

No mention of Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Smdh

Pfft, not with that wack ass ending

I loved it overall, but man....

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not very knowledgeable about anime, so a question for Era's anime aficionados- what are generally considered to be the best works of the medium? I want to see/learn more about anime and want to start by making sure I've seen the greats. I've already seen and love Evangelion, so let's skip that one for the sake of this conversation.
I'm not huge on anime. I watch some of the mainstream ones. But if you're interested in a crazy over the top mecha anime with a great simple story though awesome characters, try Gurren lagann. It's one of my favourite shows of all time honestly. It's also short, so you don't have to catch up on a million seasons. This only has 2. With a time skip between them.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anything by Studio Ghibli, Akira.

Those are the ones with not only a good rep in anime, but also really good reception outside fans of the genre.

Or to put it another way, if somewhere along the way you end up deciding anime is not for you that is the stuff you will still be glad you watched.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Katanagatari

From the New World

The series Monster is an absolute masterpiece as well.

Hajime no Ippo

Ping Pong the Animation

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Shirobako

Etc. etc. etc.

Pfft, not with that wack ass ending

I loved it overall, but man....
What's so bad about the ending? I saw it btw.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Great recs, Era! I approve. Of shows that I don't think have been mentioned, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Attack on Titan, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Yuri on Ice, Fate/Zero, both Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate, Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 version, Brotherhood has been mentioned).

My personal niche favs are Michiko & Hatchin, A Place Further Than The Universe, Space Dandy, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. I could go on for awhile!

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen it, but the original Legends of the Galactic Heroes is supposed to be one of the greatest of all time.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Akira
Nichijou
Most if not all of Ghibli films
Perfect Blue
Golden Boy
Fullmetal Alchemist (Both the original and the remake)
Code Geass
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Steins Gate
Bakuman
Haikyuu!
Clannad
Monster
Your Name

Currently Ongoing:
One Piece
Attack on Titan (Anime could reach GOAT status with the way things are currently going in the manga)

Last edited: