• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Stuff mentioned already that is god-tier:
FLCL
Paranoia Agent
Ping-Pong

Stuff mentioned already that's not so good if you're older than 15:
Gurenn Lagann
Death Note
Attack On Titan
Steins:Gate

joe1

Dec 12, 2018
Is really Evangelion still that good? It was like 15 years ago I saw and thought it was awesome, but I was around 15. I always think that it hasen't aged well..?

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Stuff mentioned already that is god-tier:
FLCL
Paranoia Agent
Ping-Pong

Stuff mentioned already that's not so good if you're older than 15:
Gurenn Lagann
Death Note
Attack On Titan
Steins:Gate

Death Note's fine. It's not some deep experience like FLCL or Evangelion, but it's a well-scored entertaining thriller.

It's like comparing Die Hard to The Shining.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Ninja Scroll

Those are popular ones and top tier imo.

My favorite will probably always be Gatchaman / Battle of the Planets though.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Whenever my friend decided he wanted to give anime a try, after deliberation I told him to watch Full Metal Alchemist first. I don't think there's a better starter anime out there, and pretty much everybody loves it.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Death Note's fine. It's not some deep experience like FLCL or Evangelion, but it's a well-scored entertaining thriller.

It's like comparing Die Hard to The Shining.
I didn't compare it to anything, but some people view it as some sort of masterpiece which imo it just isn't. I watched it in 2016 for the first time and barely got through it, and I only did it because my roommate swore it's the best shit ever, and even he had to admit that it wasn't as good as he remembered it...

Window

Oct 27, 2017
By general consensus, check this rankings of the best per year:
https://imgur.com/a/0ayQC
Got it in higher res? It's a bit hard to read.

Who put this together?

I didn't compare it to anything, but some people view it as some sort of masterpiece which imo it just isn't. I watched it in 2016 for the first time and barely got through it, and I only did it because my roommate swore it's the best shit ever, and even he had to admit that it wasn't as good as he remembered it...
I tried watching it sometime soon after it's initial broadcast (2008/9) and could not get past like episode 10.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I've yet to see a one who'll shit on Gurren Lagann.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

giphy.gif

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously the answer is that there's a shit ton of anime out there and there's plenty for all tastes. Just explore and enjoy.

Plenty of already great recommendations and, by page 3, one can see a pattern of mentioned shows. Not seen as the best and usually overshadowed by Cowboy Bebop, my personal favorite is space western, Outlaw Star. Fun lead characters. Great visuals. Memorable music.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Here's what I'd consider essential:

Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Practically all of Ghibli's Films
Summer Wars
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Watch 2003 first if possible)
The Tatami Galaxy
Steins Gate
Haibane Renmei
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
A Place Further Than the Universe

Here's some stuff that I personally like:

Serial Experiments Lain
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya
Hinamatsuri
Welcome to the NHK
Azumanga Daioh
Infinite Ryvius

Also, if you are wondering where to go to watch some of this stuff, here is a site that gives you the legal streaming sites for a given show.
https://because.moe/

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
  • Your Name (Movie)
  • One-Punch Man
  • FullMetalAlchemist
  • Akira (Movie)
  • DragonBall Z
  • Wolf Children (Movie)
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Movie)

And now, the obligatory Ghibli recommendations:

• Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro (technically not Ghibli, but it was Miyazaki's debut as a film director, and it's goooood)
  • Castle in the Sky
  • Porco Rosso
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Spirited Away
  • Ponyo

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Pretty much everything I would recommend has already been listed, but I want to add that I would probably take Ghost in the Shell SAC. The original film is definitely a classic, but SAC gets a lot more time to expand on its world building and spend time with supplementary characters who barely got any screentime in the original.

I also want to give props to the earlier shoutout to Patlabor. Production I.G's GitS work owes a lot to that series which in hindsight feels like a dry-run for what they would attempt with GitS and later SAC.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I'll have to rewatch Bebop because although I liked the characters, the music and the show on a while, I don't really understand the GOAT status that it has.

Is it meant to be an episodic anime? Because it kind of just jumps all over the place at times.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
By general consensus, check this rankings of the best per year:
https://imgur.com/a/0ayQC

Ah thanks for this, I really should bookmark it. I keep meaning to go through most of this list but I get suckered into new anime which is mostly trash (Devilman Crybaby, holy shit...) and I have this thing where I can't stop what I started until it's finished NO MATTER WHAT

I'll start with Gunbuster!

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ah thanks for this, I really should bookmark it. I keep meaning to go through most of this list but I get suckered into new anime which is mostly trash (Devilman Crybaby, holy shit...) and I have this thing where I can't stop what I started until it's finished NO MATTER WHAT

I'll start with Gunbuster!
Aww man, I liked Devilman Crybaby. But I'm also a sucker for dark and edgy anime; I liked Higurashi season 1 right up until the last episode.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Is really Evangelion still that good? It was like 15 years ago I saw and thought it was awesome, but I was around 15. I always think that it hasen't aged well..?
I consider its aesthetics and overall presentation more noteworthy than its story/writing.
Death Note is trash, and its author is a hack.
Aww man, I liked Devilman Crybaby. But I'm also a sucker for dark and edgy anime; I liked Higurashi season 1 right up until the last episode.
I'm actually rather surprised by how glowing the opinions of Devilman Crybaby are around these parts. I didn't necessarily hate it, but it was still much too dark and edgy for my liking, definitely not something I have the urge to rewatch.

Last edited:

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
There's a disturbing lack of One Punch Man mentions ITT.

Also, Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky is flawless.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017

Eeh, my bad. Trash is too strong. It's actually pretty unique in its over-the-top edginess, but I have a real hard time following the convoluted plot. Too much random shit. I'm only up to episode 8 at the moment. I mostly watch these late at night and can't stay awake through most of the episodes because they're just too bizarre.

I consider its aesthetics and overall presentation more noteworthy than its story/writing.

FWIW I just finished watching Evangelion and the one thing I can say about it is I couldn't put it down. I've watched anime for over 20 years yet I completely ignored this series. Was impressed how much it held up after all this time. It went strange and dark places and never really recovered. I preferred when it was straight up about fighting angels but it was a good trip overall. The movies just muddle everything even further.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

One Punch Man is good, but I liked Mob Psycho 100 a bit better in regards to One's work.
FWIW I just finished watching Evangelion and the one thing I can say about it is I couldn't put it down. I've watched anime for over 20 years yet I completely ignored this series. Was impressed how much it held up after all this time. It went strange and dark places and never really recovered. I preferred when it was straight up about fighting angels but it was a good trip overall. The movies just muddle everything even further.
I can say that it's... distinctive in the direction it takes, if nothing else.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Eeh, my bad. Trash is too strong. It's actually pretty unique in its over-the-top edginess, but I have a real hard time following the convoluted plot. Too much random shit. I'm only up to episode 8 at the moment. I mostly watch these late at night and can't stay away through most of the episodes.
Haha, you're right, the plot is pretty messy. I don't blame you in the slightest.

OPM is something I can't recommend unless you actually have experience with Shonen anime. It's funny, but it's funnier when you realize how it parodies Shonen tropes.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Satoshi Kon's oeuvre.

Magnetic Rose was the short film in the anthology movie Memories that first put him on peoples' radar:
Tovf7sV.jpg
K7Sh2Je.jpg

Millennium Actress:
inwAXdd.jpg

xrels0t.jpg

XqdzoDj.jpg

QF6pP8y.jpg

Ohayou (Good Morning)

And of course The Dreaming Machine, which is totally coming out some day because of course they aren't just going to leave it completely storyboarded and half animated. Why would they do that? I'm not crying, you're crying.
elUyVA7.jpg

Every Frame a Painting did a video essay on him that I feel clinically compelled to share:

Last edited:

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Guren Lagann is my favorite anime of all time.

Gundam Iron Blood Orphan 1st season is also great, even though the 2nd season has the best mech fight in any Gundam series.

Oct 31, 2017
12 kingdoms
Bastard!
Gungrave
Ghost in the shell: stand alone complex
Dragon half
Full metal panic
Great teacher onizuka
Karas: prophecy and revelations
Kino's Journey
Magical shopping Arcade: abenobashi
S-cry-ed
Escaflowne
Rahxephon
martian successor nadesico
Slayers (everyone you can find)

Old school greats

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend Cowboy Bebop to literally anybody

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
My personal favorite and a series I would recommend is Fate/Zero.

-great story
-good action scenes
-fantastic soundtrack
-some happy times...but mostly sadtimes

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Off the top of my head that some people havent mentioned

Tsuiokuhen (although some people would have my head for this)
Darker than Black
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Toradora

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is also pretty good.

More specifically, the 1988 version. The 2018 version, unfortunately, doesn't seem to measure up.

I thought it was fine, honestly. Probably a nice watch if you want to see if it's your thing before you commit to watching 110 episodes of the old show.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
Here's what I'd consider essential:

Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Practically all of Ghibli's Films
Summer Wars
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Watch 2003 first if possible)
The Tatami Galaxy
Steins Gate
Haibane Renmei
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
A Place Further Than the Universe

Here's some stuff that I personally like:

Serial Experiments Lain
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya
Hinamatsuri
Welcome to the NHK
Azumanga Daioh
Infinite Ryvius

Also, if you are wondering where to go to watch some of this stuff, here is a site that gives you the legal streaming sites for a given show.
https://because.moe/

Mostly this, but I'd consider Serial Experiments Lain essential.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Mostly this, but I'd consider Serial Experiments Lain essential.
Yeah, I personally really like the show, but I didn't list it as essential because I've found, at least within my social circles, some people really don't get a lot out of Lain. I'd like the essential stuff to be shows that almost everyone enjoys. Same thing goes for the other shows I listed like NHK and Ryvius.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't read it myself but the manga does continue and is complete.

Yep! I'm actually going through it right now. My understanding is that plans for a second season of the anime fell through and so they had to cobble together a non-disjointed ending, while the manga continued on for another seven years. From what I've seen/read so far, the anime is rather faithful to the source material, so a renewal or remake would be awesome.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Bubblegum Crisis. The original not 2040.

It's not perfect, and it wasn't finished so it ends somewhat abruptly (Bubblegum Crash provides something of an ending, but is inconsistent with the series), but the J-Rock soundtrack and late '80s - early '90s designs are great.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Akira
Cowboy beebop
Princess mononoke (Miyazaki in general but yea)
One punch man
Ghost in the shell
Perfect Blue
Paprika

All probably said but if not yea