• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey everyone! I rarely ever check the gaming side so I didn't know this thread was a thing before but glad to have found it. Unfortunately monies been super tight for over a year now so haven't been able to buy much game wise and it seems like a ton of otome games have released since I last followed new releases so that's pretty nice! A friend has been sharing some screenshots of Code: Realize on Twitter a couple weeks ago of her play through and liked what I saw so hoping to be able to get it whenever it is I can afford it. Makes me happy to see so many otome releases by Aksys and others lately.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey everyone! I rarely ever check the gaming side so I didn't know this thread was a thing before but glad to have found it. Unfortunately monies been super tight for over a year now so haven't been able to buy much game wise and it seems like a ton of otome games have released since I last followed new releases so that's pretty nice! A friend has been sharing some screenshots of Code: Realize on Twitter a couple weeks ago of her play through and liked what I saw so hoping to be able to get it whenever it is I can afford it. Makes me happy to see so many otome releases by Aksys and others lately.

Hey there! Hope you can grab Code: Realize sometime.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there! Hope you can grab Code: Realize sometime.

Thanks! Yeah when I get paid next Friday after I sort my bills out and get things paid I'm going to see what's left. Gonna do some more reading over the thread and try and make a wishlist to see what I should prioritize to get for much later this year since there are many releases I'm just learning about.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Yeah when I get paid next Friday after I sort my bills out and get things paid I'm going to see what's left. Gonna do some more reading over the thread and try and make a wishlist to see what I should prioritize to get for much later this year since there are many releases I'm just learning about.

A lot of vita otome games are currently on sale in both NA and EU. I believe C:R is one of them as well.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of vita otome games are currently on sale in both NA and EU. I believe C:R is one of them as well.

Yeah, I just saw in the thread mention of it so just took a quick look through the sales, seems some nice discounts on some of them w/ plus. I know I own Norn9 physical and Amnesia digitally, plus the Hakuoki Stories of the Shinsengumi limited edition release (adore that series in particular and have owned many of the English version releases) been highly interested in the recent vita releases as I hear that Sannan finally has his own path and that's something I've wanted for soooooooooo long <3 haha Though think I'm just going to wait until both parts are released/on sale and on steam just to help costs wise.

Yeah I see Code: Realize there too, my only hold up is that the same friend I mentioned before was tweeting about her playthrough on the recent PS4 release, she originally played the original vita release and said that there are lots of spelling/grammatical and coding errors in that version. Not sure if it got any patches but due to it I'm kinda leaning on just saving for the recent PS4/vita release as she said it's a lot better in regards to the previous and for the new content.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just saw in the thread mention of it so just took a quick look through the sales, seems some nice discounts on some of them w/ plus. I know I own Norn9 physical and Amnesia digitally, plus the Hakuoki Stories of the Shinsengumi limited edition release (adore that series in particular and have owned many of the English version releases) been highly interested in the recent vita releases as I hear that Sannan finally has his own path and that's something I've wanted for soooooooooo long <3 haha Though think I'm just going to wait until both parts are released/on sale and on steam just to help costs wise.

Yeah I see Code: Realize there too, my only hold up is that the same friend I mentioned before was tweeting about her playthrough on the recent PS4 release, she originally played the original vita release and said that there are lots of spelling/grammatical and coding errors in that version. Not sure if it got any patches but due to it I'm kinda leaning on just saving for the recent PS4/vita release as she said it's a lot better in regards to the previous and for the new content.

Kyoto Winds is 70% off on Steam, and the bundle with both games is 48% off. Sanan's route was disappointing, although it wasn't as bad as Shinpachi's. My biggest beef is with the terrible localization and all the missing content.

I have the ps4 version of C;R, but I haven't gotten around to playing it, so I've no idea if they went back and fixed all the issues.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

If the PS4 version improved errors, that's really good to hear! I'll say I really did not notice many to begin with compared to, say, CollarxMalice (which was largely fine still, certainly nowhere near unplayable or anything, but with some more noticeable issues and a conversation or two that was very hard to follow out of nowhere and that was pretty disappointing), but there's particularly some stuff in the final route that could have used another editing pass for sure. So I'm glad that I can recommend it even more strongly now.

Also, just to be clear so you know what you're buying since I couldn't tell whether you knew or not from your post: the recent Vita release (~Future Blessings~) does not contain any of the original (~Guardian of Rebirth~). Future Blessings is a fandisc with a story set during the common route, 2 new character routes, and continuations of the routes of the 5 guys. As far as errors go, I've only played 1 route so far but saw a case or two of text going offscreen IIRC; nothing major yet, though.

Meanwhile, the PS4 release (~Bouquet of Rainbows~) contains both games. This is a little confusing since it released the same day as Future Blessings, but... that's how it works, hah. So on Vita you'd still need to buy both separately, including the original without the errors fixed, with no overlap in content between them. If you buy the PS4 release, that's all you need. Either way you get the exact same content, though I guess now with errors fixed in the original game's content on the PS4. Though maybe it also has the different font that Future Blessings has on Vita, which bothers me due to how it has "s on both sides of dialogue, but even I stopped noticing it after a bit and I'd rather have the fixes obviously.

and I'll tag this in case you want do things yourself, but fwiw, the route order for the original that I very strongly recommend is:

Impey -> Van -> Fran -> San -> Lupin

(I can explain my justification without spoilers if needed as well)

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many Psychedelica copies Aksys has printed this time, hope it's not selling out anytime soon.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto Winds is 70% off on Steam, and the bundle with both games is 48% off. Sanan's route was disappointing, although it wasn't as bad as Shinpachi's. My biggest beef is with the terrible localization and all the missing content.

I have the ps4 version of C;R, but I haven't gotten around to playing it, so I've no idea if they went back and fixed all the issues.

Didn't know about the steam sale, thanks! That's a shame about their routes though. Oh what issues if it's not too much to list?

If the PS4 version improved errors, that's really good to hear! I'll say I really did not notice many to begin with compared to, say, CollarxMalice (which was largely fine still, certainly nowhere near unplayable or anything, but with some more noticeable issues and a conversation or two that was very hard to follow out of nowhere and that was pretty disappointing), but there's particularly some stuff in the final route that could have used another editing pass for sure. So I'm glad that I can recommend it even more strongly now.

Also, just to be clear so you know what you're buying since I couldn't tell whether you knew or not from your post: the recent Vita release (~Future Blessings~) does not contain any of the original (~Guardian of Rebirth~). Future Blessings is a fandisc with a story set during the common route, 2 new character routes, and continuations of the routes of the 5 guys. As far as errors go, I've only played 1 route so far but saw a case or two of text going offscreen IIRC; nothing major yet, though.

Meanwhile, the PS4 release (~Bouquet of Rainbows~) contains both games. This is a little confusing since it released the same day as Future Blessings, but... that's how it works, hah. So on Vita you'd still need to buy both separately, including the original without the errors fixed, with no overlap in content between them. If you buy the PS4 release, that's all you need. Either way you get the exact same content, though I guess now with errors fixed in the original game's content on the PS4. Though maybe it also has the different font that Future Blessings has on Vita, which bothers me due to how it has "s on both sides of dialogue, but even I stopped noticing it after a bit and I'd rather have the fixes obviously.

and I'll tag this in case you want do things yourself, but fwiw, the route order for the original that I very strongly recommend is:

Impey -> Van -> Fran -> San -> Lupin

(I can explain my justification without spoilers if needed as well)

Thanks for the long and informative post! Yeah based on talking to her she made note of it being better compared to her playthrough of the original release on vita. Will make not of that if I get CxM.

I didn't know they and assumed both were the same so thanks for letting me know! The PS4 version is probably the one I'd go with mostly for it being where I play things the most at the moment. Will mark down the suggested routes too as I'm open to suggestions! ^_^

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know about the steam sale, thanks! That's a shame about their routes though. Oh what issues if it's not too much to list?

Thanks for the long and informative post! Yeah based on talking to her she made note of it being better compared to her playthrough of the original release on vita. Will make not of that if I get CxM.

I didn't know they and assumed both were the same so thanks for letting me know! The PS4 version is probably the one I'd go with mostly for it being where I play things the most at the moment. Will mark down the suggested routes too as I'm open to suggestions! ^_^

They modernized the translation for some reason. Okita's route is a travesty. Words such as 'pussy', 'criminy', 'bitch fit' etc., oh and my favorite, most of the older characters keep calling Chizuru a kid even AFTER they've confessed their feelings for each other. There's one instance near the end of Okita's route where he's calling her name and they translated it as 'Hey, little sister?'. Some typos and grammar issues are also present, but that's the norm at this point.

There's quite a bit of questionable translation choices too. In KW, Iba starts referring to Chizuru as his love out of nowhere. Naturally, Chizuru doesn't acknowledge this since he's not actually saying that in Japanese. It's so terribly inconsistent that in EB you have Chizuru wondering if Iba has feelings for her.

Same thing happens in Hijikata's route. He mentions Chizuru as the woman he loves. Chizuru doesn't acknowledge it and a few scenes later when Hijikata finally confesses she's elated.

Then there are issues with the remake itself. Most of the bonus content is missing, and only some of the fandisc scenes are included. A lot of the new routes are terribly disappointing and short.

On a positive note, Yamazaki and Kazama's (expanded) routes were good.

luchikita

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry guys! I still haven't had time to mail out the LE yet. I've been doing way too much overtime at work, and I've barely have had time to even sleep.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the Psychedelica hype

Thought a lot of people were looking forward to this one

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I have to wait two weeks for the game to arrive. Still one of my most wanted games of 2018, but gotta wait :P.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the Psychedelica hype

Thought a lot of people were looking forward to this one

I'm still really looking forward to playing it!

I'm just also playing a ton of games at once right now and so am only a route into Future Blessings. Gonna try to push that further this weekend and finish it next week so I can start Psychedelica, but that might be idealistic with those other games, and there's several significant non-otome VNs hitting in May, and I'm still already only a chapter into Chaos;Child because I was playing that extremely slowly/rarely and then switched to Future Blessings, and...

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't really get it but I'm also not surprised since it's Idea Factory lol.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got Psychedelica and I only noticed now that the main guy on the cover has some sweet heels.

Don't care for the pins, but the designs for it on the ad look nice and the game came with cards with the the official art of all the characters on them. Neat.

Edit: Ahaha, y'all weren't kidding about these sound effects. Takes me back to the days of the original Neptunia on PS3, though I know they've been using them for much longer.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
They modernized the translation for some reason. Okita's route is a travesty. Words such as 'pussy', 'criminy', 'bitch fit' etc., oh and my favorite, most of the older characters keep calling Chizuru a kid even AFTER they've confessed their feelings for each other. There's one instance near the end of Okita's route where he's calling her name and they translated it as 'Hey, little sister?'. Some typos and grammar issues are also present, but that's the norm at this point.

There's quite a bit of questionable translation choices too. In KW, Iba starts referring to Chizuru as his love out of nowhere. Naturally, Chizuru doesn't acknowledge this since he's not actually saying that in Japanese. It's so terribly inconsistent that in EB you have Chizuru wondering if Iba has feelings for her.

Same thing happens in Hijikata's route. He mentions Chizuru as the woman he loves. Chizuru doesn't acknowledge it and a few scenes later when Hijikata finally confesses she's elated.

Then there are issues with the remake itself. Most of the bonus content is missing, and only some of the fandisc scenes are included. A lot of the new routes are terribly disappointing and short.

On a positive note, Yamazaki and Kazama's (expanded) routes were good.

Thanks a bunch for listing the issues, I appreciate it! Certainly seems to have quite a few bleh things. It's been awhile since I last played it but since it's my most recent version played I wonder how the stories of shinsengumi translation compares.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they're not too out of place or of a weird quality, I think reusing most sound effects is fine. It makes sense to build a library for things like that which don't need to be unique (so anything tied to a specific character would be iffy to reuse), especially if that leads to things like (though I have no idea if they do this) having built in script commands for playing the sounds in their engine, and so on.

Though you'd also want to actually add to it to have a variety of options, and dating back to PS3 is a little much, yeah.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
The struggle between ordering all three together and saving some coins with shipping or ordering them separate and getting to play them as they're released.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let us hear it, how are you guys enjoying Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly?

I haven't had time to play it much this weekend but I cleared the first couple chapters. It's... weird? I dunno, I don't really have a positive or negative opinion on it overall yet, it just doesn't feel like much has happened at the moment other than mysterious things. It's nice to have a voiced MC but I wish she didn't sound so wimpy. Yamato is far and away my favorite so far. Haven't noticed any typos but it's still early.

Oh and the "gameplay" is... well it's not bad but it's similar to other otome minigames in that I wonder why it's even there if it's so braindead easy.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Update for the pins:

"Only 1,000 sets of the enamel collector pins will be made, and are available on a first come, first served basis to US residents only between July 1 and July 31, 2018, or until supplies run out. A small shipping and handling charge will be applied, and pins begin shipping on July 1, not before."

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Update for the pins:

"Only 1,000 sets of the enamel collector pins will be made, and are available on a first come, first served basis to US residents only between July 1 and July 31, 2018, or until supplies run out. A small shipping and handling charge will be applied, and pins begin shipping on July 1, not before."

So don't bother to even email them before july 1?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make much sense to try and redeem the promotion before all the stuff you need to send in is even available :P

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Did we get a Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly OT? I'm not talking about the game because we didn't get a review code this time around, but maybe people are still busy with past otome releases.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah there's no OT but I've been seeing a lot of positive responses from people on other sites.

The first two chapters were pretty slow imo but the game has picked up a lot since chapter 3 and I'm digging it now. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it though.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm still busy with Future Blessings; I was hoping to at least finish it by this weekend but I'm still only on Sholmes' route after Lupin's Gang + Finis, and probably won't get through the rest of Sholmes and all the continuation routes in the next few days...

That being said, really loving it so far. Finis' route was great and Sholmes' has immediately played off one of the most wonderfully ridiculous parts of the first game so I'm excited to see where it heads.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you're reading a non-spoilery discussion about Psychedelica and stumble upon a huge spoiler out of nowhere...

grf.gif

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you're reading a non-spoilery discussion about Psychedelica and stumble upon a huge spoiler out of nowhere...

grf.gif

This is why I hate my need to look up route orders, hah. I've thankfully mostly dodged major things so far when I've done this, beyond a thing for the original Code Realize that ended up not being as big (or even as accurate) as it seemed, and a thing I saw about a character in the next CR game while looking up something for Future Blessings. But so many similar reviews/discussions I've seen for games I'll never play seem to go "I won't have spoilers" and then immediately get into things that seem pretty big and worth not talking about...

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I hate my need to look up route orders, hah. I've thankfully mostly dodged major things so far when I've done this, beyond a thing for the original Code Realize that ended up not being as big (or even as accurate) as it seemed, and a thing I saw about a character in the next CR game while looking up something for Future Blessings. But so many similar reviews/discussions I've seen for games I'll never play seem to go "I won't have spoilers" and then immediately get into things that seem pretty big and worth not talking about...

I, too, managed to not stumble across major spoilers for other otome games before playing them. Just not this time. Guess I should be thankful only one thing got spoiled and not the whole game :P.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I have a $10 Amazon credit too so it would be only $20 in that case, soooooo tempting.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
You should go for it, two great games for twenty bucks is a steal.

Yeah and I know mentioned wanting to get the game earlier in this thread so seems like a perfect time! (Plus I need razors anyway too but they were an add on item so needed just about $20 more to add to my cart to get free shipping! Haha)

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
It takes me ten years to play a vn due to bad self pacing (cxm took me 6 months, all the zero escape games took many months, and don't even ask me when I started the ace attorney series) so I'm trying not to take so long playing Black Butterfly. I'm really enjoying it so far even though the art style isn't my favorite (its the outfits).