• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell, GAF did two things right that managed to paper over the Roy at the top for a surprisingly long time.

-Registration required paid email addresses
-Registration could take a few months (or longer) to get in.

With those two things in place, bans had real teeth. Bans meant you weren't posting for months, not that you had to spent 5 minutes creating an alt. It made people police their own conduct in ways I haven't seen ina forum before or since.

Obviously there were some mods at GAF that used that r al power to pursue personal vendettas or just capriciously banned people because it was fun. But with better leadership, and a mod staff without the bad apples, I think it's the only formula that works.

I hate that it's elitist, that it makes us look like some exclusive club. Perhaps open registration for a little while to get our bearings would be a good idea. But long term, I don't think Resetera sucf eds without the ability to enforce bans.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The admins have already given their reasons as to why there isn't open registration. It should stay, especially given those that want to see this site burn as GAF did.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I believe this is now basically in effect. Paid emails are required. Not sure about how long verification will take, but it is manual. The open registrations via Discords ended yesterday.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
From the site admin:
We'd also like to take the opportunity to announce that the site will now be leaving what you might call Early Access and that the grace period on paid emails and junior membership has ended. In the morning in the western hemisphere, we will be officially opening up regular registrations. This will require paid email addresses, manual account approval, and a period of junior membership.

Methuselah

On Extended Hiatus
Oct 24, 2017
As far as I can tell, GAF did two things right that managed to paper over the Roy at the top for a surprisingly long time.

-Registration required paid email addresses
-Registration could take a few months (or longer) to get in.

With those two things in place, bans had real teeth. Bans meant you weren't posting for months, not that you had to spent 5 minutes creating an alt. It made people police their own conduct in ways I haven't seen ina forum before or since.

Obviously there were some mods at GAF that used that r al power to pursue personal vendettas or just capriciously banned people because it was fun. But with better leadership, and a mod staff without the bad apples, I think it's the only formula that works.

I hate that it's elitist, that it makes us look like some exclusive club. Perhaps open registration for a little while to get our bearings would be a good idea. But long term, I don't think Resetera sucf eds without the ability to enforce bans.

Thanks for your concerns Amibguous Cad.

A couple of things. First, it's not elitist. It's in place to protect the community. The Mod team have already done a fantastic job at keeping an eye out of those here that don't actually wish to be a part of the community, and they will continue to do so in a fair manner. The same is to be said of the NeoGAF moderators. There will be an open registration that requires paid email accounts. As stated by the poster above quoting Emily, these accounts will be manually reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.