• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm close to the point where I'd rather let my kids have tiktok than youtube....My son who's 11 aspirations are:-

1. Make youtube videos
2. Get 10m subs and lots of money
3. Make videos where
a. his younger brother controls him with a remote control
b. they fill the house with packing chips or lego bricks
c. he pranks his brother by saying he will buy him a dream car, then buying a crap car, then actually giving him a dream car (e.g. Tesla)

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
The game is rated as suitable for players 13+ because of its violence and also warns of player to player interactions. A 7 year old kid shouldn't be playing Fortnite. And the aunt and uncle from the tweet don't address this correctly. They blame Ninja, find other streamers for the 7 year old to watch and continue to let the 7 year old play a game that is rated as suitable for teenagers. There are many other things the 7 year old should be doing with their free time... This is on the adults involved.

Yeah exactly. Discovery and imagination are one of the positive things a video game can produce for a child, watch video games shows destroy that.
That's actually also true for adults, but to each their own.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It genuinely frightens me how many young children are just absorbing hours of YouTube and twitch.
Yep. TV fucked up some millenials, but TV was still somewhere in the living room. Of course there was excpetion with some having TV in their bedroom.
But smartphone / tablets allowed gen Z to absorbed those contents everywhere. Parents need to control that. It is not about censorship, it is about limits.
And this content... Don't get me wrong, there are bad stuff on TV, but the toxicity of the gaming community isn't filtered online. Ninja is an exemple, but far from being the only one.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A 7 year old? Why is a 7 year old watching Ninja and why/how did his parents not know about it?

Why did his parents allow him to keep playing Fortnite when he was raging and hitting and screaming every time he played?

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A 7 year old? Why is a 7 year old watching Ninja and why/how did his parents not know about it?

Why did his parents allow him to keep playing Fortnite when he was raging and hitting and screaming every time he played?

The tweets bullshit thats why/how it didn't happen it reads like fiction and was probably posted to grab attention.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Story: We guided him to watch more wholesome and even tempered youtubers and it help greatly with his behavior problems

This thread: ALL YOUTUBE IS TRASH

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
My youngest brother is 20yrs younger than me, and it's been crazy to see the impact these streamers/youtuber's have. I don't have kids myself but I can definitely see it when I visit my little bro.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was it the removal of Ninja or reduction in their gaming time leading to a healthier day ? Maybe both of them by a large factor.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Seems nephew might have more problems than watching Ninja.

Not defending Ninja at all. Never watched one of his streams.

But from what she posted about her nephew, seems he needs to talk to someone and probably have his time for gaming greatly reduced. That behavior at 7 is really troubling.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched a stream of his so I had no idea Ninja's schtick was raging. I figured he was just another guy who just said what was happening on screen and acted goofy.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I banned YouTube from my kids about a year ago. First they started off watching thomas the train engine, as they got older they started watching FGTB and some other crap. Best decision ever was to block browser and YouTube on their Kindles.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm ashamed at how angry I used to get at games as a kid. Now I'm much more likely to be resilient and actually try harder and learn or put the controller down and do something else.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
just from my observation he seems like one of the milder guys among the top streamers, which is frightening.

Seeing some of the language people are using to describe a relatively mild streamer makes me think that if any of them knew what went on over on Twitch, they'd be morally obligated to line up with torches and pitchforks outside so many other streamers' homes.

"Streamer is like abusive dad" is a helluva take, and the whole thing about a small child writing down what he could do to win sounds made up as fuck.

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I think the real issue here is the abusive father, sounds like they took that away. A seven year playing a game on-line is terrible parenting anyways. Always blame others when you fail, also great parenting. I also wonder if any of this is true and this is just a Ninja hater after his previous tweet about rage.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja is banned in my house too. My son (12), who has been an extremely level headed, calm and thoughtful child his entire life, started behaving quite differently after a few months of following this cretin. Tantrums, screaming and abusing his mates on party chat. It peaked with him throwing a plate at his bedroom wall, at which point I cut him off from Twitch all together. I've since let back on twitch but only after I watched a few hours of the streamers he was following and determined which ones he could continue to watch. Ninja did not make the cut and my son has been back to his normal self since.

These streamers are way too influential. It's quite disturbing really.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
My little brothers exist on the internet more than I ever did, doing nothing but consuming content from YouTube. It's fucking frightening.

While I started using YouTube back when it first came out and I was 11, I definitely think YT needs an enforced PG-13 requirement. Children's TV networks have a lot of oversight to make sure kids don't get exposed to harmful stuff, YT as an open platform does not.

Thus it should make sure it does what it can to keep kids under 13 off its platform

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be all Million Moms about it, but it is legitimately concerning that a ton of streamers/YouTubers who have audiences mostly made up of kids don't actually present their content with that in mind beyond some aesthetic choices.

Its a really creepy manchild content consumed by actual children dichotomy that kind of bothers me.

Ninja's awful tantrums are bad. But also consider someone like PewDiePie, who was watched almost entirely by children and would seamlessly throw in internet edgelord stuff into his content. Its like if The Wiggles started talking about their actual penises or something.

I don't think we should ban these people or anything. But .. it's really bizarre that we don't culturally shame them all that much. Most people just talk about how huge they are, instead of how creepy their content is given their audience.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Children should not grow up watching this person do his "things". Same goes for many Twitch / YouTube personalities. They are not to be considered models by kids.

Kids couldn't care less about the psychological implications of their consumption... they're kids.

They'll model after anybody they consider to be cool even if said role models deviate from behavioural standards.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Yeah I'm not blaming Ninja for this. Be better, fellow parents.

I'm close to the point where I'd rather let my kids have tiktok than youtube....My son who's 11 aspirations are:-

1. Make youtube videos
2. Get 10m subs and lots of money
3. Make videos where
a. his younger brother controls him with a remote control
b. they fill the house with packing chips or lego bricks
c. he pranks his brother by saying he will buy him a dream car, then buying a crap car, then actually giving him a dream car (e.g. Tesla)
What were your aspirations when you were 11? Not being rude, I think it's something we really should reflect on.

Last edited:

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
Kids spend a lot of time consuming media at a very early age nowadays and that can affect their perspectives a lot.
I'm glad he got better examples now, at least!
Some people sadly won't be good influences on kids, and as parents we must control that and make sure they're not learning behaviours or habits they shouldn't.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I literally just read an article about how Ninja said if you lose a game and don't rage youre trash because you have no passion

What a garbage human being
Pretty sure the dude was talking in regards to people saying "it's just a game" to people wanting to be a professional.

Ninja on Mixer now is much less "kid-friendly" than he started out on Twitch. People should pay attention to what their kids are watching. In all areas, not just Youtube and streams.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread, Ninja's stance and behaviour is harmful and it's really concerning he gets to platform it above so many impressionable minds.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
i believe it... we took our highschooler's phone away ... well we basically made it a phone and a calculator... and he's dramatically improved in mood and interactions have been WAY more pleasant.

this stuff affects our lives more than we like to believe. I should stay off era more lol

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Kids couldn't care less about the psychological implications of their consumption... they're kids.

They'll model after anybody they consider to be cool even if said role models deviate from behavioural standards.
Which is why parents should always be careful about what their children are watching on the Internet.
I didn't say that like the kids should think to themselves "I probably should not do this". I was more thinking of the role of their parents, see what I mean?

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
And yet, I repeatedly see ppl arguing vehemently on this website and others that videogame companies should do everything in their power to cater to streamers and competitive gamers like Ninja. Companies that don't are labeled as dumb and backwards.

Streamers are a major distribution channel and the bottom line is always paramount. In fact, they were the primary audience for Respawn when they launched Apex Legends. At the same time, I wish more companies would reexamine the ppl they've decided to elevate, bc they often represent the worst aspects of gaming.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not blaming Ninja for this. Be better, fellow parents.

What were your aspirations when you were 11? Not being rude, I think it's something we really should reflect on.
Well I'm weird - so I wanted to be a mathematician...but most other kids wanted to be firemen, police, or footballers....but that was in the eighties when footballers wanted to play football rather than now...where they use their faux-fame and massive wealth to get them off racial or sexual assault charges.

I don't mind the antics quite so much as how those particular youtubers present themselves as "normal"....I grew up thinking Grange hill and Byker grove was "normal" (and they were, apart from the accents). The antics they get up to and lifestyle they lead is very very far from normal. I'm not nsaying their lifetsyle is wrong, but they never acknowledge how lucky they are, or how hard they've worked, to achieve that.

It also reinforces tons of stuff about overt-consumerism, tying happiness to material things, and other stuff that I'm not clever enough to express properly. The older I get the more I realise how bad this is.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems nephew might have more problems than watching Ninja.

Not defending Ninja at all. Never watched one of his streams.

But from what she posted about her nephew, seems he needs to talk to someone and probably have his time for gaming greatly reduced. That behavior at 7 is really troubling.
Did you read the part where his specific Fortnite related behaviour improved after removing Ninja specfically?

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
To those who who exonerating Ninja because he "isn't a role model to kids" or "kids shouldn't be watching him". Yesterday I was in a shop and I saw Ninja branded off band Nerf guns. He is plastering his face on toys.

Also, role models don't elect themselves. Children pick their role models based on their interests. So someone like Ninja who may not be directly advertising himself as a children's entertainer (despite being happy to lend his image to Children's products) doesn't get to wash his hands of that responsibility.

His audience is largely made up of children, he should take some responsibility.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is Ninja's streaming recommended for young children?
Not sure if the stream marketed directly, but that doesn't really matter here. Kids talk about it, share it, watch it together... and anyway, his face is on children's products, he is marketed to kids outside of the stream and it all leads right back there...

So even if not directly, it is.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Not sure if the stream marketed directly, but that doesn't really matter here. Kids talk about it, share it, watch it together... and anyway, his face is on children's products, he is marketed to kids outside of the stream and it all leads right back there...

So even if not directly, it is.
That's a good point.

The only question that remains is Fortnite being a 13+ game.

But I guess the gane itself wasn't the problem, if the kid was playing Mario he would get just as mad because he learned the wrong way how to deal with frustration.

I think it's OK to be angry when you lose, but you have to learn how to deal with it and use it in a way for you to get better.
And that's not common for a 7yo child.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. You best believe I am going to regulate the fuck out of that shit when I have kids. I'm pretty sure it'll be a complete ban without my presence at least until they reach puberty.
I explain this to wife all the time. She has a niece who is constantly on YouTube on her iPad. She doesn't go outside to play. She doesn't have toys. Just the iPad & the YouTube Kids app. Not even educational apps. Whenever we have a kid, I'm putting hard blocks on everything before the child can even comprehend what streaming video is. You gotta catch that stuff early.

May 26, 2018
Humanity is good at wrecking its own shit, because at the end of the day our increasingly powerful tools require wiser thinking and feeling creatures than can feasibly be asked for on short notice. We are still primates, just with one particular organ running on evolutionary turbo mode.

Each wave of discovery we are pushed to error correct, and one day we probably won't be able to. (And we may already be there!)