• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure he basically threatened to resign if he wasn't allowed to not have to get stuff approved by Perlmutter anymore, with Bob Iger being smart enough to know that having the person in charge of the MCU leave, would be a monumental mistake. So Iger approved plans that let Feige report to someone else
yep

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think cancel culture is pretty dumb, but I also can't imagine being that sensitive about someone suggesting we "cancel" a billionaire CEO or a multi billion media corporation lmao

Hey if you want to boycott something then by all means boycott it, just don't use something as flimsy as 'this guy gets profits from his Disney stocks CANCEL DISNEY!' As the reason why and try to pick Up 'resist' points.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
you get shamed because you don't follow suit, even if it's ludicrous
Where?

I'm kind of surprised it's someone like that and not an oil exec or like someone from Lockheed Martin or some bullshit.

Also - aren't there caps on individual donations like that? Shouldn't it be like a shitload of people tied for #1?
The title says the largest, but the actual article says one of the largest (and the OP quotes that part too..).

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Removed, compelled to step down on his own etc. etc.

But this has basically happened already. As mentioned earlier, since 2016 he's not had creative control over Marvel anymore because of how involved he's been in Republican politics and he basically survives off the stock. And if you are going to punish companies based off merely who owns stock in them, well thats going to be a long list of companies.

Not that I think Perlmutter is a good human being or anything, he's not. I just don't believe there is much to be done to de-power him within Disney when that largely has already been done.

Jun 17, 2019
But this has basically happened already. As mentioned earlier, since 2016 he's not had creative control over Marvel anymore because of how involved he's been in Republican politics and he basically survives off the stock. And if you are going to punish companies based off merely who owns stock in them, well thats going to be a long list of companies.

Not that I think Perlmutter is a good human being or anything, he's not. I just don't believe there is much to be done to de-power him within Disney when that largely has already been done.
It's not really about the creative control though, it's about him directly profiting from this, more so than some rando shareholder.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread feels like a gotcha of some kind.

Like "SO WHATS IT GONNA BE MARVEL FANS? GONNA SUPPORT TRUMP NOW ARE YOU?"

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread feels like a gotcha of some kind.

Like "SO WHATS IT GONNA BE MARVEL FANS? GONNA SUPPORT TRUMP NOW ARE YOU?"
I think it's more so a test of consistency, since Era in general favors boycotts over a ton of stuff based on alt right/conservative policy or money(as they should), yet Era also loves its Marvel.

It's just interesting to watch, from the point of view of us who don't give a crap about Marvel/comics. I don't even have anything against Marvel - or rather I didn't until now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ProPublica in 2018 reported that Perlmutter secretly worked with Trump on his administration policies:

https://www.propublica.org/article/...oskowitz-marc-sherman-shadow-rulers-of-the-va

More to the point, he is one-third of an informal council that is exerting sweeping influence on the VA from Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump's private club in Palm Beach, Florida. The troika is led by Ike Perlmutter, the reclusive chairman of Marvel Entertainment, who is a longtime acquaintance of President Trump's. The third member is a lawyer named Marc Sherman. None of them has ever served in the U.S. military or government.

Yet from a thousand miles away, they have leaned on VA officials and steered policies affecting millions of Americans. They have remained hidden except to a few VA insiders, who have come to call them "the Mar-a-Lago Crowd."

Perlmutter, Moskowitz and Sherman declined to be interviewed and fielded questions through a crisis-communications consultant.

White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters also did not answer specific questions and said Perlmutter, Sherman and Moskowitz "have no direct influence over the Department of Veterans Affairs."

But hundreds of documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act and interviews with former administration officials tell a different story — of a previously unknown triumvirate that hovered over public servants without any transparency, accountability or oversight. The Mar-a-Lago Crowd spoke with VA officials daily, the documents show, reviewing all manner of policy and personnel decisions. They prodded the VA to start new programs, and officials travelled to Mar-a-Lago at taxpayer expense to hear their views. "Everyone has to go down and kiss the ring," a former administration official said.

If the bureaucracy resists the trio's wishes, Perlmutter has a powerful ally: The President of the United States. Trump and Perlmutter regularly talk on the phone and dine together when the president visits Mar-a-Lago. "On any veterans issue, the first person the president calls is Ike," another former official said. Former administration officials say that VA leaders who were at odds with the Mar-A-Lago Crowd were pushed out or passed over. Included, those officials say, were the secretary (whose ethical lapses also played a role), deputy secretary, chief of staff, acting under secretary for health, deputy under secretary for health, chief information officer, and the director of electronic health records modernization.

At times, Perlmutter, Moskowitz and Sherman have created headaches for VA officials because of their failure to follow government rules and processes. In other cases, they used their influence in ways that could benefit their private interests. They say they never sought or received any financial gain for their advice to the VA.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Perlmutter have some shady ties to the VA through Trump? There was investigation going on into it. What would happen if Perlmutter, down the line, gets arrested? Can you hold that much power over a company while in jail, or do you have to forfeit your position and power? Given the shit he's seeminly done, that seems like a best case scenario.

If I had my way, all these corrupt fuckers would get nabbed out of society where they can't do any harm. Lock 'em ALL UP!

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The internet will judge you
you get shamed because you don't follow suit, even if it's ludicrous

Does this actually happen? I've seen it once or twice, but not nearly often enough that it strikes me as being a thing.

I feel like overwhelmingly, what I tend to see is that one person says they're not going to buy something and then a whole bunch of others come in to say why they shouldn't or how, in fact, you're a bad person for not buying it - although no one actually asked the latter person to do or not do anything. There was no organized boycott, it was just somebody making a purchasing decision.

Similarly, I've had a few cases where people go into a thread about some product by some asshole and say that they're unable to even discuss the product, but they never actually made any effort to do so at first and other people are already discussing the product in the thread.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Perlmutter is straight fucking trash.

It's unfortunate that Disney and marvel have to put up with that shit.

Zenithysis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sydney
User banned (permanent): trolling, previous bans for same behaviour, account in junior phase
Anything less than a full boycott of every individual Trump donor and Trump voter is active support of Nazism and white supremacy.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more so a test of consistency, since Era in general favors boycotts over a ton of stuff based on alt right/conservative policy or money(as they should), yet Era also loves its Marvel.

I definitely feel that the reaction here would be vastly different if the chairman of another company were to be a trump donor and advisor.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I mean, the dude has always been a known shithead. This was never a surprise to anyone in the comics industry, it's been that way for years. He's just going all out now.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
There were stories that people at Marvel were terrified of him given how angry and unpredictable he could be.

Ike once told former Marvel Editor Bob Harras that if his kids turn out to be gay, he should murder them. For the record at the time Eric Ellebogen was an executive for Marvel and also happens to be openly gay. If you're wondering what happened, nothing happened to Ike. But, Bob Harras soon left Marvel for Wildstorm and eventually DC. Eric Ellebogen left and worked in several companies before settling in nicely for Dreamworks

Three black women sued him and Marvel in 2012 because in addition to being super homophobic, he's a fucking racist. The suit claimed that despite the three women all being long time Marvel executives he always referred to them as "The Help." Other claims listed were things such as telling one woman she had a bullet with her name on it. For the record, Ike is a strong supporter of open carry and often carries his gun to the office. Marvel quietly settled

You just know he's a Trump supporter even if you don't know he's a Trump supporter.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Didn't Perlmutter have some shady ties to the VA through Trump? There was investigation going on into it. What would happen if Perlmutter, down the line, gets arrested? Can you hold that much power over a company while in jail, or do you have to forfeit your position and power? Given the shit he's seeminly done, that seems like a best case scenario.

If I had my way, all these corrupt fuckers would get nabbed out of society where they can't do any harm. Lock 'em ALL UP!

This is the big fish here. Unelected, unappointed, unworthy power brokers fucking an already fucked-heavy institution. Hugely bipartisan issue but there cant' be any traction to it...

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
"Why can't Disney just cut him?"

If he gets cut before his contact ends, he gets a big check from Disney and Iger and Co. ain't doing that.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
people have been waiting for ike to die since like the toy biz days - he's been known as a shitty human being forever now, and the trump stuff likewise known. that creepy pic stands out because dude prides himself in staying out of the public eye, while doing everything he can to ruin things around him

Perlmutter being a shit has been public knowledge for decades, Disney can't fire him and he has no power or influence over any Marvel product currently released.

^this
anyone wanting a boycott for this is ignoring what's been known for years

Instead the comics hired it's first Asian Editor in Chief!

oooof
i really wish they would've taken more heat for this. CB should've been out of a job.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Horn had taken Perlmutters side when Feige said he didn't want to work for him anymore...*shudders*

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they'll be people saying they will.
It's really not that hard to not buy some comics and watch a few movies. Why the incredulity? Is it impossible to imagine someone with enough discipline to skip over those things?
Maybe the problem isn't with it being a "gotcha", but why you feel got.
This and this weird anti-purity stance... "If I'm not willing to give up something I like for my beliefs, no one else will either and if they do it's obviously a lie to sound cool!"

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017

It's just interesting to watch, from the point of view of us who don't give a crap about Marvel/comics. I don't even have anything against Marvel - or rather I didn't until now.

Yeah it's a bit comical. I mean boycotting Marvel for me is as easy as just going about my daily routine.

But isn't this basically the same situation with Chick-fil-a where the founder is a bigot, but isn't really involved with running the company?

But on the other hand, we got X-Men now so we're going to let this slide.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

The problem is boycotting Marvel doesn't hurt him at all. It hurts the writers, artists, editors and so on. As an executive his salary is basically guaranteed

sad but true

For that, they had no one else who wanted the EiC job.

for real? it looks like a nightmare job, yeah, but i figure solid work in comics has gotta be crazy competitive

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I feel like he'd be one of the first Billionaires who'd support Donald. That guy is really weird

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Understand though that most Marvel fans here are just MCU fans and Marvel Studios isn't under this guy.

That's fine and I understand, but I don't see any of the still numerous comic fans on this board willing to boycott the side of things he is directly associated with either.

Nobody is forced to boycott anyone of course, but I hope those that do at least stay consistent.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's basically on the same boat as Sugiyama as in they're both terrible human beings that their respective companies (Disney/Marvel and Square-Enix) just can't get rid of easily.

We're basically gonna have to wait until they eventually kick the bucket to be free of their shit.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
That's fine and I understand, but I don't see any of the still numerous comic fans on this board willing to boycott the side of things he is directly associated with either.

Nobody is forced to boycott anyone of course, but I hope those that do at least stay consistent.

the "consistency" argument is kinda shit most times, though
like, i put more energy to boycotting things on the BDS list than i do, say, walmart - the former is an international solidarity movement, the latter is a a huge market that's close and cheap (because they destroyed most of their competition). the moral reasons, as well as the logistical ones, are quite different, and this context matters.

likewise with our biggest grocery chain having a huge trump supporting heiress who doesn't sit on any boards or affect policy at said chain. ike is the same here - as a comics fan, yeah, i wish he'd croak or otherwise move on already (read the link posted earlier, he was entirely shitty to staff long before all this), but im going to stop reading the entire line because of a figurehead who has no say in the product for years now? nah

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
demanding some kind of perfect consistency among people choosing not to purchase things is the same old "you're critical of capitalism yet you participate in it, how curious" song and dance we've been through thousands of times

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised, especially after seeing this old evil looking photo a while back.
DTzIzXm.jpg
Hail Hydra indeed

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
the "consistency" argument is kinda shit most times, though
like, i put more energy to boycotting things on the BDS list than i do, say, walmart - the former is an international solidarity movement, the latter is a a huge market that's close and cheap (because they destroyed most of their competition). the moral reasons, as well as the logistical ones, are quite different, and this context matters.

likewise with our biggest grocery chain having a huge trump supporting heiress who doesn't sit on any boards or affect policy at said chain. ike is the same here - as a comics fan, yeah, i wish he'd croak or otherwise move on already (read the link posted earlier, he was entirely shitty to staff long before all this), but im going to stop reading the entire line because of a figurehead who has no say in the product for years now? nah

You are right, but then not boycotting a chain you shop at for life essentials because they as you said yourself destroyed most of their competition is also not the same as not boycotting an entertainment brand like Marvel. Comics and just by one brand at that shouldn't be difficult to cut out of their lives for anyone.

demanding some kind of perfect consistency among people choosing not to purchase things is the same old "you're critical of capitalism yet you participate in it, how curious" song and dance we've been through thousands of times

Not really. Being asked to boycott select companies is not at all the same as being asked to boycott all of them. One of these is easy to do, the other impossible.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The sooner Dump and Ike/The Red Skull are both out on their ass, the better.

Two of the most reviled scumbags around.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
This is known. Cancel culture is dumb, but so is pretending that MCU profits don't line this dude's pockets.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a scumbag that just needs to move on from this planet.

Also suggesting people boycott MCU movies because he indirectly gets money from the parent company is a dumb stance to take, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself.