• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Or movies, if you can't choose just one.

I've seen a ton of movies over the years, and personally, the movies that I feel that have aged the best are probably Nosferatu and Vampyr, with the former film being almost 100 years old. Nosferatu has some overacting, but it's still creepy and insanely effective, and the imagery is justly famous to this day. The shadow on the wall is one of the best shots ever in cinema, still. Vampyr, IMO, has aged even better, and out of all the movies I've seen that are insanely old, Vampyr still feels fresh to this day, shit, I'm going to go out on a loop and say it's STILL ahead of its time. So I'm not hesitant to say that it is the film that has aged better than just about any movie I've ever seen.

CItizen Kane I also think has aged INCREDIBLY well. It's no doubt a groundbreaking film and some people may justify why people watch it utilizing the "Seinfeld is unfunny" Trope, but honestly, it never fails to grab me and every time I watch it, I'm not watching it like a film student, I'm watching it like an audience member looking for an excellent, well told story.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's a more recent example but Fellowship of the Ring is timeless. Especially compared to the other big early 2000s movies of the time. Spider-Man, Attack of the Clones, the first Harry Potter.

Oct 25, 2017
Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner and Terminator 1 and 2 have all aged amazingly well, and are pretty much my favorite movies to boot. If I had to pick one, it would be Aliens, I think.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
It's not all that old, but the CGI in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is better than a surprising number of blockbusters today.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of F.W. Murnau, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) has aged very gracefully.

Oct 27, 2017
Alien
Fight Club
The Exorcist
Jurassic Park
The Shining
Home Alone 1 & 2
2001 : A Space Odyssey
The Lord of the Rings trilogy

honorable mention :

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Alfonso CuarĂłn is the only HP director to put a graceful twist of experimental photography on the series. Imagine if he directed the other 5 films... we can only dream...)

And pretty much any Disney/Pixar/etc film like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, or The Lion King, Aladdin, etc. High budget animation seems to age gracefully, especially stuff that is mostly handrawn, like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, which was according to Google, produced by 750 artists, over 2 million sketches, and 250 thousand drawings. That is years of blood, sweat and tears, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've been slowly watching a lot of the older Disney movies I watched as a kid, and I'm impressed with how well a lot of them still hold up for engaging stories, animation quality, great voice acting, and classic songs.

It had been so long since I saw a lot of them that I'd honestly forgotten the stories in a lot of them (Lady and the Tramp I'd forgotten everything except the spaghetti scene, and how The Rescuers is about a kidnapped girl).

Keeping in mind of course a lot of the negative aspects of movies from the older eras (Native America's in Peter Pan, Crows in Dumbo, etc). That stuff has most DEFINITELY not aged well, but a surpringing amount of these older animated movies have held up better than I expected.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday watched The Name of the Rose after 20 years again and if you tell me it was made last year, I would believe it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Duck Soup. It takes serious talent to still be funny almost a century later.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Zoolander still feels shockingly modern, with only the Mac really joke dating it to my memory (even the tiny phone joke still works, even if the context surrounding it has changed)

zoolander-movie-640x313.jpg

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
12 Angry Men

Old ass black and white movie that takes place in a room, but still as riveting as it ever was.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's timeless and will always be funny.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Blade Runner is still a visually arresting and poignant piece of art as it has always been *chef's kiss*.

Also, 2001: A Space Odissey, The Shining and The Thing (1982) all hold up extremely well by today's standards. I would almost name Alien as well, if not for some iffy looking scenes (the final one comes to mind).

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of older films I've seen still hold up, but my first thought was Back to the Future. I've seen it more times than I can remember since the first time I saw it as a kid and it's still just as entertaining.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The oldest films that seem pretty much timeless to me are probably The Thief of Bagdad (1940) and Wizard of Oz (1939)

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Easily 2001.

Its themes will remain relevant until we evolve to something like the star child, assuming we ever get there.

Visually, including effects, it looks better than most films and equal to the best visually.

The acting and cultural elements are so sterile to fit the theme and simple they don't really age either.

The music was already timeless before used in 2001.

Its structure remains innovative and so different from standards of the time (and even today) it doesn't age.

I took my youngest son to see beautiful print of it last year and his comment afterwards sums it up "that felt like it was made tomorrow".

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of F.W. Murnau, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) has aged very gracefully.

It's the oldest film I can watch and legit really enjoy. The story is really fucked up though, so on one hand, it's a very well-made film that still works today, but on the other, I can't imagine watching it for the first time in the #MeToo era.

Plenty of older films I've seen still hold up, but my first thought was Back to the Future. I've seen it more times than I can remember since the first time I saw it as a kid and it's still just as entertaining.

That's one of the best examples I can think of. The film is so well made and well acted, and the script is so strong, it's remake-proof. Nobody's watching that film and going, "You know what? This movie could use an update." It's IMO a nearly perfect film.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
terminator 2 though if i were 20 watching it for the first time today some stuff here and there would "date" it

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Lord of The Rings popularized and revolutionized high fantasy for the big screen and is still reigning champion and yet to be surpassed 20 years later after many multiple attempt over the decades. The fact that the movie holds up so good despite its heavy use of CGI and effects is mighty impressive.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
Jurassic Park.

So many of these heavily CGI shitfest movies in recent years are going to age horribly all because they didn't spend the time and money on practical effects.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Timeless classics is what I'm interpreting the question as. A movie that transcends the era it was made in and if released today nobody would bat an eyelid and would still be hailed a classic:
Sunset boulevard
Double indemnity
Dr Strangelove
Rashomon
High and low
The shining
Bambi
Fantasia
Lion king
Shawshank redemption
Usual suspects
T2