• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one is it?

• Marvel vs Capcom

Votes: 35 11.2%
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2

Votes: 138 44.2%
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Votes: 130 41.7%
  • Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The Marvel vs Capcom series has always been fantastic. Even at it's worst, the solid gameplay and amazing amounts of fanservice still make all of them worth it.

So, out of all of them, which one was your favorite?

(Note: The options of the poll are including the arcade / console versions, remasters, etc.)

For me, it's a tough fight (pun intended) between MvC2 and UMvC3. On pretty much everything they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think UMvC3 is the winner here. It has the better roster (huge imo warning here), on-par gameplay and while it's a little uglier than MvC2, it still looks great.

I have to admit I'm a scrub at Vs games, so no idea which one is better competitively.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As a whole package, UMvC3 has the better roster & great gameplay, so yeah.

If we're talking purely gameplay, MvCI would be up there.

Robsolete

Oct 25, 2017
I'm X-Men Vs Streetfighter all the way. I love me some MvC2 for sure but the original versus title just hit me the right way at the right time.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
X-men Vs Street Fighter is a defining game of my child hood and one of the reasons I like both fighting games and comic books.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I only really enjoyed the first one.

Hated 2. Hated 3. Still haven't played Infinite.

My favorite Capcom Marvel fighter is Marvel Super Heroes. I also enjoyed X-Men Versus Street Fighter.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
UMvC3 is the only fighting game where going into the training room and just making my own combos is fun in of its self.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
The original. I loved the spritework in that game. Also it had cool remixes for each character as well as beautiful backgrounds and different endings. 2 was really good, too. I liked the crazy amount of characters. But the music was pretty awful and the backgrounds were ugly and garish.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Mvc2 for me but 3 was quite good too. Infinite's gameplay was actually quite solid as well but it is let down by almost everything else.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Unpopular opinion but I seriously think mvc2 is maaaad ugly. It's so visually incoherent with the bad 3d backgrounds, varying artstyle/quality for the sprites and the gaudy menu's/UI. The actual characters who of the same style look great but it's really jarring when they're all put together.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
The original. I loved the spritework in that game. Also it had cool remixes for each character as well as beautiful backgrounds and different endings. 2 was really good, too. I liked the crazy amount of characters. But the music was pretty awful and the backgrounds were ugly and garish.

I'm also going for the first one, mostly because of simplicity, by limiting the field with 2 playable characters, is not as overwhelming as MvC2 or 3, is easier to keep track of the action.

Also, there's something about the spritework, backgrounds and music of the first MvC that I really love

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm X-Men Vs Streetfighter all the way. I love me some MvC2 for sure but the original versus title just hit me the right way at the right time.
X-men Vs Street Fighter is a defining game of my child hood and one of the reasons I like both fighting games and comic books.
X-Men Vs Street Fighter
OP ask about Marvel vs Capcom games but yet people say X-Men vs Street Fighter. Reading Comprehensions doesn't cost a thing.

Marvel vs Capcom for me because of the artwork and 6 button gameplay.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
For me, MvC2.

I didn't really play enough of MvC3, and bought in before Ultimate... While MvC2 on the dreamcast was sort of the perfect storm for my brother and I at the time. We spent so much time unlocking as much as we could.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
MVC1 and its CSS music will always be the first to come to my mind when the series is mentioned. MVCI is a joy to play, just a shame everything else about it kind of sucks. Guess I just prefer 2v2 games.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
OP ask about Marvel vs Capcom games but yet people say X-Men vs Street Fighter. Reading Comprehensions doesn't cost a thing.

You realize where Marvel vs Capcom came from right? Like if you want to be a stickler for semantics, fine, but going "hurrr durrr reading comprehension" says more about you than anything else.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna take you for a ride!

Marvel vs. CAPCOM 2 for sure, I played the hell out of that game on the Dreamcast and the OG Xbox. I had also made a custom soundtrack for the OG Xbox version (I wish I found a guide on how to do it again, I can only find the DC guides now a days).

I loved Ultimate Marvel vs. CAPCOM 3 as well, Phoenix Wright was broken when that game first launched and his Level 3 was amazing.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
3 feels really nice, like the basic movement systems and general attack feel are incredibly satisfying. It has a great roster too. But I really just don't like X-Factor as a mechanic and I've only grown more tired of it as time as gone on.

2 is my favorite. It's broke as hell and ugly but it's such a fun game when you know the ins and outs of it all. Getting a guard break into an air hyper viper, landing a SnapBack infinite with Magneto after using Psylocke, fly/un fly, locking down and controlling space with Strider or Spiral, etc. I just love that game. One of my all time favorites. There's really nothing else quite like it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought MSHVSF felt the best for some reason. MVC2 comes in close due to the insanity and TVC is also a strong underdog.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I give it to the original Marvel .vs Capcom. The assist system was great, and i overall feel like the learning curve was less demanding there than it was in MVC2. Next, i would say Ultimate Marvel .vs Capcom 3, and then Marvel .vs Capcom Infinite, just because the gameplay is absolutely fantastic. I'll rank them like:

Marvel .vs Capcom
Ultimate Marvel .vs Capcom 3
Marvel .vs Capcom Infinite
Marvel .vs Capcom 2

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
C'mon, that's not an MvC game.

Sure it is. X-Men are a Marvel property!

X-Men (Marvel) Vs (Vs) Street fighter (Capcom)

PS. Can someone please teach me how to defeat the end boss in MVCi's story mode? He is impossible.

Oct 25, 2017
UMvC3 is better than MvCI, but they're both good games.

I've played very little 2 and none of the Capcom-Marvel fighting games before 2.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wish I could say MvCi, but the roster and visual design is ass.
Which is a damn shame. MvCI could easily take the top spot if it had a better roster & visual style.

As much as I loved MvC2 growing up, I can acknowledge that MvC2's roster veered too far on the X-Men & Street Fighter side of things (for understandable reasons, but still) & was broken as fuck. As far as the roster is concerned, MvC2 was very much a product of its time, while UMvC3 had a better balance for both Marvel & Capcom.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You realize where Marvel vs Capcom came from right? Like if you want to be a stickler for semantics, fine, but going "hurrr durrr reading comprehension" says more about you than anything else.
OMG really? You mean the game was spawned from X-Men vs Street Fighter? You Don't sayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Still that's not what the OP asked though? And you clearly hurt my feels lol

Sure it is. X-Men are a Marvel property!

X-Men (Marvel) Vs (Vs) Street fighter (Capcom)

PS. Can someone please teach me how to defeat the end boss in MVCi's story mode? He is impossible.

You're one of them that thinks X-Men = all of Marvel.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
UMvC3's roster is tops, and it looks great, but honestly? Didn't like playing it much.

Marvel Infinite has it's disappointments, but I actually enjoyed playing it. Also, it had fucking Jedah Dohma in it, so it gets my vote.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
ZycmOxT.png

Oh man, i hope we don't have to wait another 10 years for a new Marvel .vs Capcom game ;_;

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
ZycmOxT.png

Oh man, i hope we don't have to wait another 10 years for a new Marvel .vs Capcom game ;_;
While granted, Capcom franchises have come back from worse (just ask Devil May Cry regarding DMC2), I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait a while for another MvC game given the failure of MvCI (assuming we get another MvC game, which isn't a given).

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
While granted, Capcom franchises have come back from worse (just ask Devil May Cry regarding DMC2), I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait a while for another MvC game given the failure of MvCI (assuming we get another MvC game, which isn't a given).
What happened to those MvC4 rumors?

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also, XvSF is even on Wikipedia under Marvel Vs Capcom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_vs._Capcom

The poll should be updated with X-Men Vs and Marvel Super Heroes Vs.
Bringing Wikipedia into a debate is like bringing VGChartz into a sale debate, none of them are 100% right. I can go on Wiki and amend that page right now if I wanted to. And why should the OP update the poll? He is specifically asking about the Marvel vs Capcom series.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What happened to those MvC4 rumors?
Mostly unreliable sources that aren't worth your time (Ex: Vergeben). Even then, we're too close to the end of the console generation for Capcom to justify releasing a new fighting game that they'd support for years (especially given the recent financial briefing of a smaller fiscal year for Capcom for March 2019 - March 2020).

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Mostly unreliable sources that aren't worth your time (Ex: Vergeben). Even then, we're too close to the end of the console generation for Capcom to justify releasing a new fighting game that they'd support for years (especially given the recent financial briefing of a smaller fiscal year for Capcom for March 2019 - March 2020).
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to release something now. Capcom isn't releasing anything mayor this FY, so unless they don't consider MvC something big then there's no chance.