• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hi everyone! We're thrilled to announce that the latest update for Control is OUT NOW on PlayStation 4. Since launch, Remedy have been listening to community feedback and working flat out behind the scenes on Control.

To our Xbox One and PC players, DO NOT PANIC! This update is heading your way very soon.

As many of you will know, bug fixing and submission times vary across each platform, which is why we're not out on all formats yet! All being well, we won't keep you waiting very long. Stay tuned to our social media channels for more info.

General
– Bug and crash fixes to missions, combat and overall game play
– Fixed multiple issues with the PC launcher related to DX11/DX12 crashes

Performance
– Improved title stability on all platforms
– Improved general frame-rate performance through optimisations made to multiple systems and content

UI
– Improved map loading times (map will no longer tease information)
– Motion Blur On/Off toggle added to Options menu
– Film Grain On/Off toggle added to Options menu
– Fixed incorrect UI behaviour on ultra-wide monitors (PC)
– Fixed multiple issues when incorrect subtitles are shown for multiple languages
– Fixed issue when the game centers the aim on Jesse's head
– Fixed multiple UI related issues

Progression
– Fixed an issue when player could not acquire 'Pierce Charging Efficiency' and 'Spin Grouping Efficiency' upgrade
– Fixed issue when Crafting Charge and personal Mods would not give the Weapon/Mod but take the materials (Sorry. The Board was greedy)
– Fixed issue that prevented players activating the Pierce weapon form upgrade
– Fixed issue when Jesse is unable to cleanse the 'Transit Corridor South' Control point upon returning from Prime Candidate Program area in the mission The Face of the Enemy
– Fixed an issue when Heptonstall would not spawn during certain story missions in the "Old Friends" side-mission (still looking for his buddy Remus)
– Fixed issue when Hiss Barrier remains in the Directorial Override mission's Control Room if the player dies during the binding cut scene

Sound
– Fixed issue when certain licensed music tracks play after enabling the 'Mute Copyrighted Tracks' option
– Fixed and issue when audio is out of sync in the Dr Darling videos (PS4)

Misc
– Fixed issue with the Charge weapon forms erroneous blast radius causing (way) too much visual damage to the environments
– Fixed an issue where game would stall when completing a story mission and unlocking a trophy (PS4)

Once again, we want to thank our brilliant players for their amazing support. We can't wait to tell you more about what we're up to behind the scenes. In the meantime, have a great week and we'll speak to you soon.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too late for me since I platinumed the game but damn I can't imagine how strong Pierce is on max level with legendary damage on zoom plus other damage increasing mods

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awaiting reports on performance improvement eagerly, as I have been holding on playing my copy (going through backlog) since launch. :)

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear, hopefully Digital Foundry revisits and tests out the post patch performance on regular PS4 as I would love to pick this up...

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Don't get too excited for base PS4 performance.

It's a little smoother in general but when you get in an open area with enemies and NPCs going at it there are big sustained drops still.

This is on a 100% save with less enemies roaming around tho.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I must admit I am surprised how quick the patch is out. Given the time frame, I cannot imagine performance is completely fixed or if it is, it is likely due to simple cutting down on effects (resolution, particle count, etc.) in some manner. If they managed to keep the same visuals while improving performance I'd love to know the details on what they did to achieve that, even though I probably wouldn't understand much of it.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum'd it already, but I will be thankful for these improvements once the expansions drop.

I must admit I am surprised how quick the patch is out. Given the time frame, I cannot imagine performance is completely fixed or if it is, it is likely due to simple cutting down on effects (resolution, particle count, etc.) in some manner. If they managed to keep the same visuals while improving performance I'd love to know the details on what they did to achieve that, even though I probably wouldn't understand much of it.

It's possible they were under pressure to hit the street date, and that these optimizations have been in process for a while.

duck-doomster

Feb 1, 2019
I am excited for this, I've just gotten past chapter 4 this weekend and am really loving the game and atmosphere. Definitely annoyed about the performance at times (I've got an OG PS4), but I've been enjoying the game enough to accept the churn every now and then.

Oct 25, 2017
Yessss!

I still got a ways to go with it, so this is great. The frames dropped really bad last night when a bunch of enemies spawned.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Cool, looks like my purchasing...self-control...is paying off!!!!

tenor.gif

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the big blocking my progression has been fixed I can finally resume!

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Hell yeah, Platinumed it last night and will still check this out today.

Never had an issue with performance but great for those who care.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Perfect! Dropped the game after a couple hours and was planning to come back to it before the weekend

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Platinum'd it already, but I will be thankful for these improvements once the expansions drop.

It's possible they were under pressure to hit the street date, and that these optimizations have been in process for a while.
Maybe, but Remedy themselves estimated that this patch would come out mid to late September (unless this is a separate patch from the one they have been discussing).

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Should not have rented it when I did. Game ran like absolute shit the entire time on PS4Pro. Hope this patch lets the great game underneath shine through.

Nov 18, 2018
I've only got a couple of side missions left but I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements. Mostly I'm hoping I'll be able to upgrade Pierce; it already feels OP with a +51% damage mod so I can't wait to see what it's like with 3 mod slots unlocked.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Epic Games Store just updated Control to 01.03.00 for me. Not sure if it's this same patch, but it was a relatively large download.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The map fix alone is a god send. People playing for the first time will never know how obnoxious that bug was

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I stopped at about 2 hrs in on Pro specifically to wait for an inevitable performance patch. Here's hoping!

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Glad the patch is out and look forward to seeing how it runs on my Pro. Sadly, last night I wound back about an hour of game progress after hitting a mission-breaking bug that this fixes. Timing. Timing is everything.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Cross-post:

Well, that was quite the meaningless patch. The Pierce upgrades are still borked, and the "Old Friends" quest for Remus is still not fixed (but I guess the vaguely written patch notes already said so...). Ah well, at least the nasty Foundation shadow bug has been fixed it seems like, and the map doesn't seem to spazz out anymore.

Better luck next time?

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, love the spoilers in the first post!!

EDIT: sorry I misread, I thought that was the name of the final boss (because I've heard the last boss is brutal) and not the weapon form. Sorry!!

Last edited:

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Any reports on improved framerates? I really want to play this but it seems that the performance on base PS4 was pretty bad.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I did my part in accelerating this patch, by completing the platinum this weekend. I did submit a crash report though. Hope someone read it!

Ah well, I'm sure this means it will all be lovely fast and stable for the DLCs.